Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Kingsabre

Sighting Aircraft from ship

8 comments in this topic

Members
12 posts
857 battles

TL;DR = at what range do you spot enemy aircraft - 6km or 8km?

I've seen it said that AA builds with AA range greater than 6.0km are somewhat questionable & situational because beyond 6km, you are relying on other teammates to spot the aircraft, otherwise your AA won't engage, thus it's wasted range / wasted skill points / wasted upgrades etc.

I've seen 6km repeated so many times I just assumed it was correct... but the WOWS wiki says (in multiple locations, mind you) that enemy aircraft are spotted by ships at a range of 8km...

I tried playing a few matches to figure it out for myself, but it's pretty difficult to determine with any real certainty (what with friendly planes and teammates spotting aircraft at the same time)

Just looking for clarification for myself, and to possibly stop the spread of misinformation

Members
2,092 posts
8,068 battles
2 minutes ago, Kingsabre said:

I've seen it said that AA builds with AA range greater than 6.0km are somewhat questionable & situational because beyond 6km, you are relying on other teammates to spot the aircraft, otherwise your AA won't engage, thus it's wasted range / wasted skill points / wasted upgrades etc.

I've seen 6km repeated so many times I just assumed it was correct... but the WOWS wiki says (in multiple locations, mind you) that enemy aircraft are spotted by ships at a range of 8km...

I tried playing a few matches to figure it out for myself, but it's pretty difficult to determine with any real certainty (what with friendly planes and teammates spotting aircraft at the same time)

Just looking for clarification for myself, and to possibly stop the spread of misinformation

Try experimenting in a training room with bot CVs

[ANIME]
Members
363 posts
9,306 battles

For CV planes it's 8km.  It used to be like 6km for catapult planes but they might have changed it.

Members
193 posts
7,731 battles

The captain perk that extends the AA range by 20%, also increases AA damage by 20%.  I don't think it's a waste of a perk.

[TBW]
Members
6,298 posts
11,856 battles
1 hour ago, Kingsabre said:

Who's the CV player that said that?

Edited by Sovereigndawg

Members
12 posts
857 battles

Did a little more digging myself and it looks like this maybe changed with patch 0.6.6?

So most likely I've just been reading older threads and didn't realize (or possibly some people didn't get the memo and are still quoting the incorrect range)

Edited by Kingsabre

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,708 posts
9,381 battles
2 hours ago, Kingsabre said:

You can check this in-game for spotting CV's aircraft, go to their CV and hover your mouse over each squadron.

But I think your question in the second paragraph, if you see them coming at you, don't pop your defensive AA or manual select them at 8 km as this is sometime the max range of your dual secondary which is the most far out range and first bubble layer, wait till them come closer 4km-6km, then do it. This will increase the AA defensive because closer will have multiple bubbles from different AA on your ship. The closest distant is 2.5km, but you don't want the torp get this close, you will get hit, you need time to dodge and create panic spread so 4-6km is when you should manual select and pop the defensive AA

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,265 posts

Look at minimap. Enlarge minimap if needed using + key.

See plane on minimap. Locate same direction in the 3rd person main UI.

See plane. Use Ctrl PLUS LMB to target plane. 

Shoot down plane. 

However - remember in a cyclone you practically cannot see them until they are about one second from dropping on you. Some fighters can get over your aircraft and no matter what you do you cannot see them. Why? I dunno. I just know there are some ships incapable of seeing them so you can't manually target them. 

Sign in to follow this