You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

30 comments in this topic

[LRM]
Members
2,549 posts
4,922 battles

Well, looks like I finally made it! Snuck it in just hours before I hit my 1 year anniversary of playing the game for real, I finally got the tier 10 cruiser, Des Moines!

And to emphasize this occasion, instead of a long drawn out brag and life story, I decided a song would be better. Because what the hell is the point of a brag thread if your brag is the same as everyone else? That is just uneventful.

So, to the tune of Cecilia and the Satellite (because that is a good song and you know it): (custom lyrics are below)

Spoiler

Maine and the USN Cruisers:
[Produced by: "This Is Garbage But Let's Publish It Anyways Cause Why The Hell Not" Studios]

I was given an Erie

Had to work for the Chester

St. Louis was a beautiful seen

Then I found Phoenix, and she was a dream

Omaha was interesting

But Cleveland was an AA dream

The things I've learned from almost 2,000 games

How mechanics change as you rise in tier

Through all the things my eyes have seen

The best by far is you

If I could fly

Then I would know

Why the fighter plane stays in the hold

I'll keep you safe

I'll keep you dry

Don't be afraid USN

I'm by your side

Now let’s clear the sky

Pensacola slugged through ranked

Indianapolis, man, she is no tank

New Orleans is a strong girl too

But Atlanta is the quick-shooters friend

For all the matches I have played

The best have been with you

If I could fly

Then I would know

Why the fighter plane stays in the hold

I'll keep you safe

I'll keep you dry

Don't be afraid USN

I'm by your side

Now let’s clear the sky

I'm by your side

Now let’s clear the sky

From all my games in Baltimore

And kicking back with Albany

If I could fly

Then I would know

What the terror of Des Moines AA can show

This is the line

The line for me

US Navy Cruisers

Your sugar and spice

Now let’s clear the sky

Now let’s clear the sky

I'm by your side

Now let’s clear the sky

Now let’s clear the sky

And no brag thread is complete without the pictures, so in the order they appear in the song which is the order of acquisition I ended up taking, here we go:

Spoiler

Tier 1 - Erie:

no4bRGY.png

Tier 2 - Chester:

dQ7JYmO.png

Tier 3 - St. Louis:

7n0eiA6.png

Tier 4 - Phoenix (My favorite ship ingame):

1d0p74z.png

Tier 5 - Omaha:

FobKIi6.png

Tier 6 - Cleveland:

byDSV3m.png

Tier 7 - Pensacola (My 2nd favorite ship in the entire game):

g87Do11.png

Tier 7 - Indianapolis:

l4uzyRa.png

Tier 8 - New Orleans (My 3rd Favorite ship ingame):

3OsJfnX.png

Tier 7 - Atlanta: 

Rm1H6mw.png

Tier 9 - Baltimore (My 4th favorite ship ingame):

DApwDil.png

Tier 2 - Albany (She is a good ship and you all know it):

VFDavfX.png

Tier 10 - Des Moines (Jury still out if I would call it a favorite simply because I feel like I am in a Baltimore with a worse credit earning economy):

UqfHJpI.png

Ok, rest of the stuff I think my threat should include since I got one shot at this:

Best Moment: Pensacola in ranked. I really don't get still to this day why people hated tier 7 ranked, but to each there own.
Worst Moment: Every game in Omaha. Please wargaming in the name of god fix this ship! And throw a bone to Emerald as well these 2 both need help badly.

Highest Damage: 130k in New Orleans. I had a 139k game in Atago but I discredit it as legit cause the damage number came from someone insisting on ramming me, and in my book ramming is not legitimate unless it is bow on to bow on, so meh.

Highest Number of Kills: Kraken in St. Louis. Yes, we all seal club a little here and there, mine just happened to come with a trophy one time.

If I had to do something differently: Had a better tutorial to teach me actual USN cruiser mechanics. Would have been nice to know about auto-bounce before I started on Pensacola.
Most Underestimated Thing About The Line: Pensacola. For real, it is not a ship that you can run around in and flank the enemy in with continuous kiting, it requires more bow-on tanking. And yes, I hope you get hit in the cit every time you go broadside in her, I think it was clear at tier 2 that if you go broadside you eat dirt.

If you could change one thing: Give the USN cruisers some more respectable secondaries that have more damage-per-shell and a faster reload. The USN is the only line without torpedoes, and if you find your flank collapsed and you have to retreat, a little tool to help keep the DD's away would be nice.

If you had to nerf one thing: Knock the AA down just a really small smidge. Like, maybe 2-3 dps per gun. IDK I felt like this was an important thing to reflect on and so I did. What, some days you got to be a mirror!
Thoughts on the new line split: I am going to miss these guys at the tiers they are at, I really am. In some way, I feel like I have to say goodbye to them, because when I wake up the next day, they are not going to play the same.

What are my current plans?
Get Missouri - I am saving up every single bit of free Xp for it, so yeah, I am going to get it the hard way.

Finish the other cruiser lines - Cruiser for life man, but USN first. Now that it is out of the way, got to cross some more finish lines

Mid-Ship crisis - Right now I am just taking a bit of a break, cause why not? I just crossed the finish line dude, I need to rest.

Anyway, this has been my un-eventful brag thread. Feel free to speak your mind on it.

Edit: Cause I want to show the world that I am a USN cruiser player:
EkZFpbM.png
Yes, they are all in my port. And I plan on getting Marblehead and going through ranked for Flint, and crossing any other bridge that I must to obtain every single USN cruiser that I can.

Edited by Battleship_MaineMk1
  • Cool 11

Members
2,092 posts
8,093 battles

Have fun economically without the Des Meme’s permanent camouflage :Smile-_tongue:

Gratz on your first tier X, though. She’s a great ship

Edited by FireAndHEspam

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles

Congrats, and nice song. It'll be a while before I have my first tier 10. One of the drawbacks of playing a lot of lines at once. I mean, I just bought my first tier 9 (Iowa), and that was because I used a lot of flags.

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,195 posts
2,029 battles

Congrats!

Omzsurf.gif

• Cool 1

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

Congrats! It is a great achievement. :Smile_great:

[FBI]
Members
135 posts
2,407 battles

i remember when i got my first tier 10 the GK, hell of a ship, bout perm camo for it, sitting on a 70% wr with it, its one of the most fun ships ive ever played

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,505 posts
6,666 battles

Congratulations Maine! I understand the feeling on unlocking your first wargaming tier10! (Think my very first was an Is7 in WOT). Now you most click random battle, and procede to get detonated in the 1st minute of battle. The traditional t10 baptism is to be covered in HE shells rather than confetti, and bathed in fire.:Smile_izmena:

• Cool 1

[PIP]
Members
9 posts
7 minutes ago, nuttybiscuit said:

Congratulations Maine! I understand the feeling on unlocking your first wargaming tier10! (Think my very first was an Is7 in WOT). Now you most click random battle, and procede to get detonated in the 1st minute of battle. The traditional t10 baptism is to be covered in HE shells rather than confetti, and bathed in fire.:Smile_izmena:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said...Congrats on gettin' her...

Members
3,638 posts
13,487 battles

Grats! DM's a great ship! If you replace Defensive AA with Hydro, in addition to her Radar, she becomes a excellent DD and Minotaur killer. :Smile_great:

My first tier 10 was Hindenberg.

Edited by ReddNekk

[TBW]
Members
6,342 posts
11,892 battles

Sweet, Des Moines was my first tier 10 too. Then I parked it and proceeded to try to get all of them. The trouble is there is no where to go after tier 10 so you just start a new line and all tier10 does for you is cost you money for XP, if you want to free it up. Congrats again.

Members
3,554 posts
6,867 battles

Congrats! I remember the feeling. A bit unnerving that first battle thinking they must all be sharks with maxed-out captains *up here* just waiting for feeding time.

[and turns out they are ordinary schlubs like all of us]

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,298 battles

My first was the Shimmy, back when before the IJN torp nerfs.  Back when it was actually really good.

Now I'm up to 9 tier 10's.  And I'm currently regrinding the Udaloi on the way to the Grozovoi.  Also grinding the FDG on the way to the GK, though not with as much gusto, since I already have the Yammy and Montana.

I'd love to have those nice perma-camos on my tier 10's, but I don't really want to spend about $22 or so dollars of real money per tier 10, when I don't really play my tier 10's all that much anyways.  If they had a serious sale on gold premium camos, I might think again about buying some.  But the other thing is that I tend to like variety in my ship selection and have no single, favorite go-to, must-play tier 10 that I'd be willing to put gold camo on.  Oh well.  Such is life in WoWS.  :cap_cool:

Members
113 posts
5,864 battles

Gratz Maine! It's definitely relieving to finally reach the top of a line. Best of luck and what is your next target nation line?

Oh, and the song was pretty cool too...:Smile_glasses:

Edited by Legion_of_Boom25

[WOLF5]
Members
1,496 posts
2,061 battles

Nice. I just got Balty, so it'll be a while before I get the Des Memes. Also working for the Montana. I thought I was the only one who appreciated the USN Cruisers.

Also, the MO will solve all your credit problems. I have to play mine a bit now, I'm broke from buying and equipping 2 T9s, not to mention playing them.

[HYDRA]
Members
500 posts
2,510 battles

Congrats!  I'm still climbing up there, but someone's happy with the end, so I think I will continue climbing.

Members
1,690 posts
7,231 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

I'd love to have those nice perma-camos on my tier 10's, but I don't really want to spend about $22 or so dollars of real money per tier 10, when I don't really play my tier 10's all that much anyways.  If they had a serious sale on gold premium camos, I might think again about buying some.  But the other thing is that I tend to like variety in my ship selection and have no single, favorite go-to, must-play tier 10 that I'd be willing to put gold camo on.  Oh well.  Such is life in WoWS.  :cap_cool:

I would basically “celebrate” each new T10 with getting it’s premium camo.  Got six of them T10s, and not grinding any more.  Thing is, only two tier 10s are seeing regular use on daily basis - Yamato and Zao.  GK and Moskva get played few times a week, and Khabarovsk with Grozovoi only get to play when I need some specific mission done.  At least they look pretty sitting in port :cap_haloween:

WoWS Wiki Editor
7,216 posts
6,433 battles

Congratulations!

I see that you put a lot of dedication and work into Des Moines, so even better that you two seem to get along :Smile_great:

[HAG]
Beta Testers
317 posts
4,072 battles

Congratulations, I got my first two tier 10s within one weekend (free exp conversion sale) one was the Montana and the other was the Des Miones both are great ships just got me a Yamato about a month ago still learning how to use it

[PRDEF]
Members
16 posts

Isn't it ironic how so many grind to want those tier 10's, then to only realize how pathetic the payout is to run them.  I have so many tier 8's that i am grinding, but when 9 outta 10 I gotta play against 10's they are terrible. Many tier 9's noone wants to keep as you all but guaranteed to play against a beter 10 counterpart and still are a losing credit grind unless you have an awesome game. Its kinda sad if you kill 1 boat , do average damage(50-60 for a cruiser for example, not great but not bad) and get a win and lose so many credits because you didnt do 100k+ damage and have a few kills to break even? Since everyone on you team couldnt do that damage even in a landslide victory means a few must lose credits regardless besides the losing team. 

• Cool 1