You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Shipping_Forecast

Weirdest defeat...what's yours?

18 comments in this topic

[WOLF4]
Members
122 posts
5,812 battles

Just lost a round, three caps, only one DD on the red team to a BB and a CA on green at then end the reds won on points.  When the defeat screen came up I was like "...eh?  how the *bleep*"... :cap_wander:... :Smile_ohmy:

What are your weirdest defeats?

[1IF]
Members
73 posts
2,579 battles

Not weirdest, but most infuriating.  The first good game I have in the Iron Duke.  We have a DD in the enemy base, though spotted by the enemy CV and under fire from a NY that myself and a fellow Duke are taking down.  The remaining enemy DD is in our base capping, but we have the cap lead.  We get a cruiser into the cap and both BBs are moving in the help and the damn DD gets greedy and goes after the CV, leaving the cap and setting us back 90 seconds which allowed the enemy team to cap for the win.  Needless to say, everyone started berating the DD for costing us the match.

Members
1 post
476 battles

the game sucks! how many have quit playing because of "Invisible" ships? and how do they go in and out of invisibility any way? and how does a destroyer keep full power after being hit by a battleship shell? DD-557, WWII destroyer, took one hit by the battleship Kongō and her speed was cut in half, 1944. Not in the game, they keep on coming full speed. Not a fan of the game.

[H-W-C]
Members
1,259 posts
3,306 battles
4 minutes ago, Admiral_58 said:

the game sucks! how many have quit playing because of "Invisible" ships? and how do they go in and out of invisibility any way? and how does a destroyer keep full power after being hit by a battleship shell? DD-557, WWII destroyer, took one hit by the battleship Kongō and her speed was cut in half, 1944. Not in the game, they keep on coming full speed. Not a fan of the game.

I see you have not heard of game mechanics before.

• Cool 3

[WOLF5]
Members
1,497 posts
2,069 battles

I think it was northern lights, but the day version. Team pushed up both flanks, and was doing pretty well, but middle was a disaster. I was in the NC (I think) trying to convince the cruisers on my flank it was actually OK to use forward gears. We we're in a pretty good position until some DD snuck through the middle and into our cap. I pinged the map, let our team know. I figured one of the cruisers pretty close by would get him. A bit later I realized the cruisers were completely oblivious. More pinging, chat messages. The BBs were actually pretty far forward, and they noticed too. Everyone else, oblivious. I decided I had better turn my ship around, and was soon tearing back to the cap at full speed, pleading with our cruisers to spot (DDs were already dead). Other BBs doing same. Nothing, we were nearly in range when they capped.

How the only people on the team who noticed and took action about being capped were the BBs, I don't know. I guess not all of us are stereotypical.

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Members
1,497 posts
2,069 battles
8 minutes ago, Admiral_58 said:

The Kongo's shell I believe hit and detonated against a reduction gear, completely knocking out one engine. Most of the shells in that battle (Leyte Gulf, Battle off Samar) were large caliber AP that overpenetrated the DDs doing little damage. Just like in game. If a AP shell hits a DD and detonates in game, it's half HP gone on DDs. HE also works

For invisible ships, that's called the concealment mechanic. Here's the wiki article.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Detection

Finally, this isn't a simulator, or realistic. Game mechanics are different from real life for game balance reasons. Take the time to learn the mechanics, you might enjoy the game more.

[NEMO]
[NEMO]
Members
753 posts
6,867 battles
25 minutes ago, Admiral_58 said:

I remember all the BB's in WW2 that instantly repaired 1/2 the damage they took by hitting one button.....

[RKLES]
Beta Testers
471 posts
6,394 battles

2 weeks ago in my Kamikaze:  130K+ in damage; 5 ships sunk; and we still lost.  Was I the only one shooting anything????

[POP]
Members
1,229 posts
8,075 battles
8 minutes ago, Capt_Binkley said:

2 weeks ago in my Kamikaze:  130K+ in damage; 5 ships sunk; and we still lost.  Was I the only one shooting anything????

Yeah, I've had games like that. There's been several games that I was the only one to sink any enemy ships. 

Members
566 posts
1,461 battles
56 minutes ago, Thraxian said:

I remember all the BB's in WW2 that instantly repaired 1/2 the damage they took by hitting one button.....

They had effective DamCon, what to expect! :cap_like:

[WOLF4]
Members
122 posts
5,812 battles

I also remember a weird win recently, using the NY to act as a block ship to protect two carriers from a swarming hoard of cruisers - and at that tier the carriers can only run so fast.  I sank.  The carriers sank.  But we still won.  I was convinced the rest of the team was going to follow suit, and was definitely a sacrifice round.

Good to hear your tales. 

[RKN]
Members
1,424 posts
11,848 battles
3 hours ago, Capt_Binkley said:

I've had a 9 kill loss before. It happens. 

[SIDE]
Members
1,331 posts

8 mins left in clan battle. We dominated entire match. 2 caps. No dead ships. 500 point lead. Enemy down 3. We got cocky and instead of “cover up and hold” we cranked flight of Valkyrie to 11 and charged the final cap. It was ugly. 4 went in before other knew what was going on. Annihilated by torpedo spreads. 2 of 3 were focused in center without cover as they tried to assist. Annihilated. Last ship was still turning toward the fight after correctly assuming we should play safe. He kites next 3 mins until March ends with a loss.

all you could do was type gg to reds and laugh it off on team speak.

[-BSS-]
Members
386 posts
5,956 battles

Our team came from behind to get ahead by a few points and at 999 the only remaining enemy DD we hadn’t seen in over 5 minutes popped out of no where and pulled off a perfect salvo that sunk our low health DD, must have had RF or whatever to track where he was, literally s 1 second Hail Mary win for the red team

[RS]
Members
84 posts
10,169 battles

Had a match yesterday, where my team ended up having 200 points lead and 2 caps with 3 ships remaining on both sides. Time remaining about 3 minutes. We had 2 low health DD's and a low health BB. The enemy team had 2 mid-health cruisers and a healthy BB. Our BB got sunk while damaging the enemy BB and finally our 2 DDs sunk the enemy BB with torps. All that the 2 DDs had to do to get this easy win home was staying away from the cruisers and never fire their guns. Guess what happened next..... Weird part is those 2 dds were hardly using guns for the time I watched them after I got sunk, up until the point were they really shouldn't have used them.

Edited by ThePfeil

Members
2,417 posts
2,233 battles

T-VIII game. Northern Lights. Over in maybe 4-8 minutes, no one on the team got any kills, enemy team still healthy, insults were exchanged, finger pointing was had.  Marked the fastest high end game i've ever had.