You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Raigoth

Cruisers

37 comments in this topic

[T-SEC]
[T-SEC]
Beta Testers
254 posts
1,423 battles

So, ive tried looking through the search function and wasnt able to find anything (Maybe I entered my search wrong, I dont know) but I have a question.

What are the benefits and downfalls of each nations cruiser lines? I dont want to know what the best is, because I know it depends on play style, im just wondering what their benefits are so I know if I want to go down that nations line or not.

[VVV]
Members
339 posts
2,240 battles

This is a VERY BRIEF overview and lots of generalizations were drawn. Do more research on the Wiki for more info.

• US - Best AA, good guns, no torps and regular everything else
  • Japan - Quick, first strike boats with good torps and meh guns
  • Russian - Super kiting botes with great guns, bad AA, and very meh torpedoes.
  • German - Mix of US and Russian with bit better torps and good AP at high tiers.
  • UK - Light and speedy, but bad health, no HE whatsoever, and good AA at high tiers
  • France - Speed botes. Ok everything, but not really good armor but super speed.

Thats all the non-premium cruisers.

[VVV]
Members
339 posts
2,240 battles

Here's the overview by the Wiki (Thanks Wiki team!)

" Each nation's cruiser line is unique in characteristics. The United States tends to have the best anti-aircraft defense as well as the best protection usually, with some exceptions. Japanese cruisers have powerful torpedo armament and the best high-explosive shells to set fires, but lack sufficient anti-aircraft defense and armor compared to the United States cruisers. Kriegsmarine cruisers have good range, high rate of fire, and good armor-piercing shells that inflict large amounts of damage and have good penetration for their size, but are weak in their high-explosive shell potential as well as their armor usually. Russian cruisers have the longest range and usually are good in both high-explosive and armor-piercing shells due to their high muzzle velocity, but have the poorest armor, insufficient anti-aircraft defense, largest detection range, and worst ship handling attributes compared to other nations. Finally, British cruisers consist exclusively of light cruisers throughout the line, with quick-firing, mid-caliber guns, generous compliments of torpedoes, and access to consumables that the other nations don't, but are hindered by exceptionally poor armor protection and mediocre anti-aircraft batteries."

" French cruisers are very fast, enabling them to fulfill a variety of roles. They are capable of being effective destroyer hunters and cruiser killers. These cruisers are excellent fire-starters, benefitting from a high fire chance. This can be used to great effect against battleships."

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles
12 minutes ago, AtlanticRim said:
  • UK - Light and speedy, but bad health, no HE whatsoever, and good AA at high tiers
  • France - Speed botes. Ok everything, but not really good armor but super speed..

I'd like to add to what @AtlanticRim posted here.

The British cruisers can all only use AP except Belfast[Premium not available for purchase anymore]

(Perth too, which is a HMAS commonwealth ship, which will be reintroduced later)

French cruisers are pretty fast but don't have a extremely great normal speed themselves, they have access to the engine boost consumable which gives them a speed boost for a limited time during which they can sail extremely fast and are the fastest cruisers.

Edited by Silver_kun

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,557 posts
14,005 battles

I'm a Cruiser Main, so this is up my alley, and I have attained Tier X in all Cruiser Lines.  Ignore any claims that USN Cruisers have the Best AA for Cruisers.  They're not.  They do start a bit earlier, but even then have massive gaps in AA capability as you go up the tiers.  Other national Cruiser lines catch up in AA capability in later tiers.

USN Cruisers

Spoiler

Last CL is at TIer VI Cleveland.

Switch to CA (8" guns) starting at Tier VII.

Tier VI Cleveland is the only one I feel comfortable in saying she is tough for her tier.  The rest are very flimsy for their tiers.

Average gun ranges

Tier VII-VIII 8" guns are pretty good in engaging at range due to nice shell flight characteristics, and tend to do well in penetration.

Tier IX-X 8" guns are very "floaty" and can be a problem engaging targets at range due to this.  However, they have powerful AP shells.

Tier VII-VIII USN Cruisers are among the worst protected ships in the game for their tiers, and are often victims of random multi-citadel deletions no matter what they do.

Spoiler

dR64u3D.jpg

If an Atlanta can use 127mm shells to citadel the stern of a Pensacola, imagine what 8" or BB AP shells can do.

Fabulous AA capability:  Tier VI Cleveland, Tier VII Premium Atlanta, Tier IX Baltimore, Tier X Des Moines

Last Tech Tree Ship with torpedoes?  Tier V Omaha, otherwise Atlanta at Tier VII has the last torps with 4.5km range.

As a line, above average concealment ranges.

Radar capability starting with Tier VII Premium Indianapolis, Tier VIII New Orleans.  Radar is decent in range and active time duration.

Tier X Des Moines is unique in that it packs 8" guns but has very fast reload times due to her autoloaders.  The shells float a lot with range, however.

Tier VIII on, USN Cruisers can slot both Hydro & Radar at the same time, but Defensive Fire must be dropped.

Tier VII Premiums Atlanta, Indianapolis can do the same.  For Atlanta to do so, must drop her unlimited charge Defensive Fire to have Hydro.

Repair Party use starts at Tier IX.

As it currently stands in WoWS, Tier VI Cleveland, Tier VII Atlanta fill very crucial AA capability at their tiers because very few AA ships are found there.  From Tier VIII on, other Cruiser lines start showing up with good AA, most definitely IX-X.

IJN Cruisers

Spoiler

As a line, the best stealth Cruisers that still pack considerable firepower.

Earliest to start using 8" guns, starting with Tier V upgraded Furutaka.  Other nations start at Tier VII.

Starting at Tier VII, bristling with guns and torpedoes.

Packs the longest ranged, most powerful Cruiser Torps in the game.

Torpedo Tube launch arcs are somewhat limited, having a rear / side-rear launch arcs.  Very good in fighting retreats to easily drop torps into the face of pursuers without showing a full side view.

Due to having so many weapons on them, they have very large citadels, be very careful in showing sides.

Tier VIII Mogami comes with 155mm guns stock, can upgrade into 8" / 203mm.

The worst AA among all Cruiser lines.

Hard hitting HE damage, great Fire Chance.

AP sufficient for the tasks when the opportunity presents itself.

Average gun ranges until Tier IX-X.

Average shell flight characteristics but Tier X Zao has Zao Lazorz and is very proficient at long range.

As a line, the slowest traversing turrets for Cruisers.

No Radar.

Repair Party use starts at Tier IX but Tier VIII Premium Atago has it.

Speaking of Atago, she is one of the most loved, good performing ships in the game.  She is also one of the oldest Premiums and is a testament to her qualities.

RU Cruisers

Spoiler

As a line, the worst stealth for Cruisers.

Very reliant on 152mm guns, goes as late as Tier VIII.

180mm guns for Tier V Kirov, Tier VI Premium Molotov, Tier IX Dmitri Donskoi

Moskva at Tier X packs 220mm gun, her "Russian Railguns."

Short range torpedo capability, 4km, until Tier IX.  At Tier IX, D.Donskoi gets 8km torps.  Moskva at Tier X has no torps.

Very meh AA capability until Tier IX, then it starts getting very strong.

Radar capability starting at Tier VIII.  Characteristics are very long range but shortest active time of all Cruiser Radar.

Very poor protection except for Tier X bow on Moskva.  Moskva is tough head on, but will collapse quickly if hit in the sides.

To offset their poor protection, RU Cruisers are very proficient at range and are a pleasure to hit targets far out.  The 152mm guns are also spammy.

The line emphasizes stand-off fighting, or die.

Like USN Cruisers, can adopt Hydro + Radar but Defensive Fire goes out the window.

German Cruisers

Spoiler

CL caliber weapons capped off at Tier VI with 150mm guns.

Switches to CA 8" guns starting at Tier VII.

Shell for shell, German Cruiser HE is the lowest in damage value and fire chances.

Pretty good shell fight characteristics for their 8" guns.  The 150mm are fast, low shell arcs but float due to lighter shells towards their extreme ranges.

Tier VII Yorck is the oddball, it has very bad AP shell flight characteristics past 9km.  But her HE shell damage is the highest of ALL German Cruisers and is still respectable in shooting at range.

All Cruisers pack torpedoes.  Torp Tubes have good launch arcs, very average range of 6km typically.

Very poor or meh AA until Tier VIII.  Starting at VIII, German Cruisers can have lethal AA capability if specced for it.

Very meh concealment ranges.

German Cruiser Hydro is the BEST in the game and Tier IX-X are extremely good.  Unfortunately it competes in the same slot as Defensive Fire.

Some months ago, German Cruisers got an HE buff:  TLDR version, they have a built in IFHE with 0 fire chance penalty.  This helps their very anemic HE shell damage and low fire chance.

Tier X Hindenburg is one of the most all-around Cruisers in the game, period.

Poor to average protection but Tier IX Roon gets tougher, Tier X "Battleship" Hindenburg is extremely tough in short range engagements.

Royal Navy CLs

Spoiler

No HE capability unless you go with Tier VII Premium Belfast, who is no longer being sold and I will avoid mentioning her for the rest of this post.

AP has good penetration and penetration angles.  Extremely deadly to DDs as overpens just don't happen as much as other Cruiser lines, the DDs end up getting lots of pens.

TERRIBLE PROTECTION until Tier VI Leander.  From VI-VIII, okay protection.  From IX-X, very bad protection again.

Smoke Generator access starts at Tier V.

Repair Party access starts at Tier III.  Tier IX-X Repair Party is quite powerful, helps alleviate the terrible armor and massive citadels a bit.  Must be paranoid about taking hits.

Smoke & Repair Party is a very useful gimmick.

Smoke is different as it lasts long but the generator does not pump out smoke long.  Very different from traditional DD smoke.

As a line, has good to great detection characteristics.

A lot of torps, but short 6km ranges going into Tier V.

Tier VI-VII have 8km torps but considerably fewer torpedoes.

Tier VIII-X have 10km torps.

Tier IX-X regain the large amount of torpedo tubes.

Have the option of single torp launch capability or launch traditionally the entire launcher.

Radar characteristics like USN Cruisers.

From Tier VIII, can mount Radar but it competes in the same slot with Smoke Generator.

RN CLs are medium range shooters for most of the game at best.  Long range engagements aren't really their thing, if even possible.  Tier IX-X?  Their shells float considerably with range but shoot faster than Fiji, Edinburgh, etc.

AA capability is meh at best until Tier IX-X.  Even then, do not have Defensive Fire access which is important.  For Tier IX-X if you want sky sweeping AA capability, you have to invest very heavily to make up for the lack of Defensive Fire.

French Cruisers

Spoiler

CL caliber weapons up to 152mm, ends with Tier VI.

CA caliber weapons of 203mm starts at Tier VII.  Tier X Henri IV packs massive 240mm guns.

AP performance is very meh unless you're talking about Henri IV.

HE performance is very good.  A very good balance of HE damage and fire chance.

Above average shell flight performance at range.

Very fast Cruisers, emphasized even more starting at Tier VI with Engine Boost consumable access.

Fast sailing French Cruisers can be annoying to deal with as a BB if they got range, open water, and Engine Boost going.

Torpedo access from Tier III on but very anemic loadouts.  Their ranges are decent, however but nothing to write home about.  Very light in the amount of torps they pack for their tiers.

Very meh detection ranges.

AA is terrible to mediocre.  From Tier IX on, the AA can be fantastic.

French Cruiser rudders go out.  A lot.  ALL THE TIME.  Account for this in your build or pay the price in battle.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[T-SEC]
[T-SEC]
Beta Testers
254 posts
1,423 battles

Hmmmm...sounds like German or US lines would seem fun for me, or the French

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles
1 minute ago, Raigoth said:

Hmmmm...sounds like German or US lines would seem fun for me, or the French

If you decide to start with French cruisers, you should keep in mind that they have paper armour.

You can easily get citadeled.

So you might want to try avoid as many shells as possible and not so too much broadside for too long.

Members
449 posts
12,191 battles

Hazegray forgot to mention the rudders on British cruisers. British cruisers are able to keep their speed up in tight turns. Great for catching DDs who think they are sneaking in for a broadside torpedo shot.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,557 posts
14,005 battles
1 minute ago, Prothall said:

Hazegray forgot to mention the rudders on British cruisers. British cruisers are able to keep their speed up in tight turns. Great for catching DDs who think they are sneaking in for a broadside torpedo shot.

You made me remember about French Cruiser Rudders getting damaged all the time.

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,710 posts
9,398 battles
12 minutes ago, Silver_kun said:

If you decide to start with French cruisers, you should keep in mind that they have paper armour.

So you might want to try avoid as many shells as possible and not so too much broadside for too long.

Lack of concentration and no situational awareness are the Blame of those. Use the speed to mitigate!

Just now, HazeGrayUnderway said:

You made me remember about French Cruiser Rudders getting damaged all the time.

Double rudder upgrade modules and LS capt skill can over come this Or use the WASD's hack

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles
2 minutes ago, ObiwankzKenobi said:

Lack of concentration and no situational awareness are the Blame of those. Use the speed to mitigate!

17 minutes ago, Silver_kun said:

Precisely what I meant lol. 

You avoid shells using manoeuvres and speed.

Or maybe you were just elaborating my words?

[VVV]
Members
339 posts
2,240 battles
21 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I'm a Cruiser Main, so this is up my alley, and I have attained Tier X in all Cruiser Lines.  Ignore any claims that USN Cruisers have the Best AA for Cruisers.  They're not.  They do start a bit earlier, but even then have massive gaps in AA capability as you go up the tiers.  Other national Cruiser lines catch up in AA capability in later tiers.

USN Cruisers

Reveal hidden contents

Last CL is at TIer VI Cleveland.

Switch to CA (8" guns) starting at Tier VII.

Tier VI Cleveland is the only one I feel comfortable in saying she is tough for her tier.  The rest are very flimsy for their tiers.

Average gun ranges

Tier VII-VIII 8" guns are pretty good in engaging at range due to nice shell flight characteristics, and tend to do well in penetration.

Tier IX-X 8" guns are very "floaty" and can be a problem engaging targets at range due to this.  However, they have powerful AP shells.

Tier VII-VIII USN Cruisers are among the worst protected ships in the game for their tiers, and are often victims of random multi-citadel deletions no matter what they do.

Reveal hidden contents

dR64u3D.jpg

If an Atlanta can use 127mm shells to citadel the stern of a Pensacola, imagine what 8" or BB AP shells can do.

Fabulous AA capability:  Tier VI Cleveland, Tier VII Premium Atlanta, Tier IX Baltimore, Tier X Des Moines

Last Tech Tree Ship with torpedoes?  Tier V Omaha, otherwise Atlanta at Tier VII has the last torps with 4.5km range.

As a line, above average concealment ranges.

Radar capability at starting with Tier VII Premium Indianapolis, Tier VIII New Orleans.  Radar is decent in range and active time duration.

Tier X Des Moines is unique in that it packs 8" guns but has very fast reload times due to her autoloaders.  The shells float a lot with range, however.

Tier VIII on, USN Cruisers can slot both Hydro & Radar at the same time, but Defensive Fire must be dropped.

Tier VII Premiums Atlanta, Indianapolis can do the same.  For Atlanta to do so, must drop her unlimited charge Defensive Fire to have Hydro.

As it currently stands in WoWS, Tier VI Cleveland, Tier VII Atlanta fill very crucial AA capability at their tiers because very few AA ships are found there.  From Tier VIII on, other Cruiser lines start showing up with good AA, most definitely IX-X.

I would argue that US does have great AA. However, they really shine as AA protector ships; they are the best at that. Their mix of some of the best AA with the Def Fire Consumable makes for a great ship for protecting other ships from air strikes. However, the AA does slack in some tiers, but the highlight ships (AKA the ones you are probably going to play after grinding) have awesome AA.

The award for best stock AA rating is MInotaur, with about 2 points over Des Moines, but DM has Def. Fire consumable.

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,710 posts
9,398 battles
1 minute ago, Silver_kun said:

elaborating my words

and escalate on my situation sometime in game. French cruiser line very funny sometime, for me, doesn't matter how much angle, speed boost and carefully timing, I can still get deleted in 1 salvo.

In any given game/s, there will be always some player/s are better then you are and situation flavor them.

So, don't be afraid, go and play, it a game, play as much as possible

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles
1 minute ago, ObiwankzKenobi said:

and escalate on my situation sometime in game. French cruiser line very funny sometime, for me, doesn't matter how much angle, speed boost and carefully timing, I can still get deleted in 1 salvo.

In any given game/s, there will be always some player/s are better then you are and situation flavor them.

So, don't be afraid, go and play, it a game, play as much as possible

I didn't mean it sarcastically, I meant it later literally :p. I am not afraid of playing French cruisers.

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say.:Smile_honoring:

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,710 posts
9,398 battles
4 minutes ago, Silver_kun said:

think you misunderstood

:cap_cool:

sorry. I just a bit salty as I got deleted by montana that shot me from across the map that I would off never though he will from all the red ships that pop up in A while I am in D cap; and with such accuracy and while I was in speed mode in the HIV. Big surprise BOOM and a thumb up from me!

LOL ..... :cap_rambo:

Edited by ObiwankzKenobi

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles
Just now, ObiwankzKenobi said:

:cap_cool:

sorry. I just a bit salty as I got deleted by montana that shot me from across the map that I would off never though he will from all the red ships that pop up in A while I am in D cap; and with such accuracy and while I was in speed mode in the HIV. Big surprise BOOM

LOL ..... :cap_rambo:

Oh, I see lol.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,557 posts
14,005 battles
9 minutes ago, AtlanticRim said:

I would argue that US does have great AA. However, they really shine as AA protector ships; they are the best at that. Their mix of some of the best AA with the Def Fire Consumable makes for a great ship for protecting other ships from air strikes. However, the AA does slack in some tiers, but the highlight ships (AKA the ones you are probably going to play after grinding) have awesome AA.

The award for best stock AA rating is MInotaur, with about 2 points over Des Moines, but DM has Def. Fire consumable.

They don't, only Atlanta, Cleveland at Tier VII, VI respectively because they fill such crucial AA gaps for their tiers where others don't really exist.  Because once you get to Tier VIII, other AA Cruisers start showing up outside USN.

Tier VIII Admiral Hipper and Prinz Eugen start this trend.  Their AA is deadlier, longer ranged than Tier VIII New Orleans.  New Orleans is "Too Late AA" while Hipper and Prinz rip planes apart afar.

Then most definitely starting at Tier IX, the other countries catch up.  IMO DM is still the Queen of Tier X Cruiser AA but Hindenburg, Moskva, Henri IV are still stupidly powerful in AA as well.  At Tier IX, Saint-Louis, Roon, Dmitri Donskoi are just as deadly in AA as Baltimore.

Tier VII Indianapolis, Pensacola, Tier VIII New Orleans have great short range AA which is wholly unsuitable for protecting a BB with such short range emphasis.  Tier V and below, they all suck like everyone else.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,710 posts
9,398 battles
1 minute ago, Silver_kun said:

I see lol

From this, I think my next project is to create another xcel with max ranges of all the high tier that is with module upgrades (or accuracy upgrade) so that I can refer to and be more careful of the distant

LOL

very salty still

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles
Just now, ObiwankzKenobi said:

From this, I think my next project is to create another xcel with max ranges of all the high tier that is with module upgrades (or accuracy upgrade) so that I can refer to and be more careful of the distant

LOL

very salty still

That is a nice idea. Maybe also post it in a thread when you are done?

:Smile_honoring:

[POP]
Beta Testers
289 posts
10,433 battles

When you are in a Frenchy you wanna rock and roll, while kiting away. 240 mm guns are sweet.

• Cool 1

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles
2 minutes ago, Alien_Observer said:

When you are in a Frenchy you wanna rock and roll, while kiting away. 240 mm guns are sweet.

7a21e558f914b20b95013d2480e10895_width-600.jpg

Lol.

[GLF]
Beta Testers
520 posts
10,383 battles
50 minutes ago, Alien_Observer said:

7a21e558f914b20b95013d2480e10895_width-600.jpg

lol,    lol    lol   

Oh God, I love it!

Can't stop laughing

+1

Members
3,625 posts
13,419 battles
2 hours ago, Silver_kun said:

That covers ALL Cruisers. Hell, a seagull shitting on the ship will cit a Cruiser. :cap_haloween:

IMHO, the French Cruisers are overall pretty good.

Edited by ReddNekk

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles
4 hours ago, AtlanticRim said:

This is a VERY BRIEF overview and lots of generalizations were drawn. Do more research on the Wiki for more info.

• US - Best AA, good guns, no torps and regular everything else
  • Japan - Quick, first strike boats with good torps and meh guns
  • Russian - Super kiting botes with great guns, bad AA, and very meh torpedoes.
  • German - Mix of US and Russian with bit better torps and good AP at high tiers.
  • France - Speed botes. Ok everything, but not really good armor but super speed.

Thats all the non-premium cruisers.

USN AA only really stands out at T6 (for now) and T10. Other than that it's pretty average.

USN guns are meant for short range work. They have floaty arcs but at high tier they have some of the best effective AP dpm around.

UK, smoke. At 9 you get a barge.  No HE.  High AP dpm and quick fuses, tends to mostly bounce if the target can angle.

German, high tier boats are there most durable around, great at kiting. Slow. Great in a brawl most tiers between high AP alpha vs a flat side and torps.

Japan, guns are fine. HE specialists which means they don't do as well at closer range.  Either close DD support with excellent stealth or long range annoyance that goes dark when you look at it.

Oh, French cruisers.  Unreal armor when angled.  Double bounce checks for all shells due to layered armor.  Combine with good agility and high speed/spood beast to troll fat stupid battleships.  High damage, but it's mostly low value damage. Doesn't have either stealth or rail guns like the other cruisers so it's pretty sad at hunting lolibotes.

Edited by Grizley

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles
3 hours ago, AtlanticRim said:

This is accurate for Des Moines and the Minotaur. But look at the Baltimore and Neptune.

Baltimore has about half the usable AA that the Des Moines does, maybe less.

Neptune in the other hand has better AA than the Minotaur.

It's not even close.

USN AA is only good at two tiers, otherwise it's average. They will probably lose one of those tiers when the Cleveland moves from T6 to T8.  That leaves just T10, and other than the Zao the other cruisers are very close in AA power if they choose to pay attention to it.