You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sventex

What's the tier 8 French Battleship?

29 comments in this topic

[REVY]
Members
6,014 posts
5,102 battles

Looking on Facebook, I see the Gascogne, the 4th Richelieu class Battleship planned but with the different turret layout, at tier 8?  But I've also seen youtube videoes talking about stats of Richelieu (40kt speed boost and all that).  But then it looks like we have 2 Battleships at tier 8?  Anyone have any news on what will be in the tech tree?

Battleship Gascogne (Has the Pocket Battleship Turret Layout)

23916336_1969586516701019_18530976524128

ST, French Battleship Gascogne, tier VIII

Hit points - 63200, plating - 32 mm, belt - 250 - 320 mm. Main battery - 2x4 380 mm. Firing range - 24.8 km. HE damage - 5400, AP damage - 11900. Reload time 30 s., 180 degree turn time - 36 s., maximum dispersion - 309 m. HE initial velocity - 830 m/s. AP initial velocity - 830 m/s. Sigma count - 1.8. Maximum speed - 32.0 kt. Turning circle radius - 850 m., rudder shift time - 15.3 s. Surface detectability - 16.2 km, air detectability - 13.8 km. Detectability after firing main guns in smoke - 15.4 km. Anti-torpedo defense damage reduction - 19%.

Available consumables:
Slot 1 - Damage Control Party
Slot 2 - Repair Party
Slot 3 - Spotting Aircraft
Slot 4 - Engine Boost

All stats are listed without crew and upgrade modifiers.

https://www.facebook.com/wowsdevblog/?hc_ref=ARSDEVNGQvfzaWoqX26G7s-o8jlIWGup5iuPdwqVPxEeZrIBUiMmsDOcoIa8pteEBr8&fref=nf

Edited by Sventex

[HINON]
Supertester
18,921 posts
12,454 battles

We'll have to wait until the tree is announced.

[SALT]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
3,660 posts
2,671 battles

Gascogne  is most likely going to be the tier 8 French Premium due to it's unique turret layout of the sisters.

[REVY]
Members
6,014 posts
5,102 battles
11 minutes ago, Azumazi said:

Gascogne  is most likely going to be the tier 8 French Premium due to it's unique turret layout of the sisters.

I'm conflicted, one the one hand, I'd love the Richelieu, given her history, to be a Premium, on the other, I NEVER want to sail the Gascogne.  The all forward turret design is why I've been hyped for French Battleships since before World of Warships.

Edited by Sventex

[-K-]
Members
642 posts
8,566 battles

Gascongne will most likely be the regular T8 ship considering that it has a conventional turret layout like the rest of the line. Richelieu will most likely be the premium. WG has said that they like to keep the ships pretty similar as you progress down a line. It is the reason that the Gneis has 15' guns instead of the 11'. It is also why WG says that if they could they wouldn't have put Izumo in the IJN BB tech tree because it is so unique compared to the rest of the line.

[-K-]
Beta Testers
1,791 posts
7,765 battles
4 minutes ago, MrEndeavour said:

Gascongne will most likely be the regular T8 ship considering that it has a conventional turret layout like the rest of the line. Richelieu will most likely be the premium. WG has said that they like to keep the ships pretty similar as you progress down a line. It is the reason that the Gneis has 15' guns instead of the 11'. It is also why WG says that if they could they wouldn't have put Izumo in the IJN BB tech tree because it is so unique compared to the rest of the line.

Well... both AB and AY isn't really conventional to the rest of line

Concerning which is more conventional than the other layout

T3 has A BC XY Z layout

T4 has AB CX YZ

T5 has AB X YZ

T6 has A X Y

T7 has A X YZ

T9 has AB Y

T10 is probably AB XY or AB X (17" quad turret)

We can't really judge on it, imo. The only reason I would say Richelieu is prem is because WG once said Jean Bart is coming as premium and she has same turret layout as Richelieu

• Cool 2

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles
1 minute ago, Treediagram said:

WG once said Jean Bart is coming as premium and she has same turret layout as Richelieu

That's nice to know wasn't aware Jean Bart would be released as a premium.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,670 posts
9,998 battles

I hope Richelieu's the tree ship under the old 'class leaders as tree ships' paradigm. Then again Gas is kinda a different class really.

After KGV-Nelson-Monarch I'm not so sure.

[YAN]
Members
1,636 posts
7,464 battles

That's a Richelieu class??

Who knew just putting a turret behind would make a ship so different.

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

There is no such thing as a "pocket battleship"!!! :etc_swear:

That is all. As you were. :Smile-_tongue:

• Cool 1

[SALT]
3,660 posts
2,671 battles
5 minutes ago, Akeno017 said:

That's a Richelieu class??

Who knew just putting a turret behind would make a ship so different.

It completely changed the secondary layout and positioning as well due to it. So it wasn't just one turret but many.

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles
37 minutes ago, Treediagram said:

because WG once said Jean Bart is coming as premium and she has same turret layout as Richelieu

I don't recall WG ever officially saying that. As far as I know, that was just a conspiracy theory cooked up after the Naval legends video on Massachusetts came out. I could be wrong, though.

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

It's pretty safe to assume that Richelieu will be the tree ship since she has both an A and a B hull and also has propulsion and fire control upgrades as well. That makes Gascogne the premium.

[ECOM]
Members
494 posts
11,028 battles
2 minutes ago, dseehafer said:

It's pretty safe to assume that Richelieu will be the tree ship since she has both an A and a B hull and also has propulsion and fire control upgrades as well. That makes Gascogne the premium.

Agree. 

Edited by Captain_Doll

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,602 posts
14,017 battles

Just a gut feeling.

I bet the unique Richelieu playstyle people want will be a Premium Ship.  Gascogne will be the Tech Tree ship.

Why do I say this?  I still remember the drama of Pre-German BB Release.  When Gneisenau didn't get the historical guns she had that are found on Scharnhorst.  Scharnhorst became the Premium.  My was *THAT* a sh*tstorm.

[YAN]
Members
1,636 posts
7,464 battles
6 minutes ago, Azumazi said:

It completely changed the secondary layout and positioning as well due to it. So it wasn't just one turret but many.

But still, it looks so weird.

[KP]
Members
1,995 posts
18,419 battles

Honestly, Gas looks like waay waay too much work to be able to play her. I have had my fill of this from the Graf. Cool looking ship as always from the Devs just 0 interest in playing it.

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles
1 minute ago, IronMike11B4O said:

Honestly, Gas looks like waay waay too much work to be able to play her. I have had my fill of this from the Graf. Cool looking ship as always from the Devs just 0 interest in playing it.

Why not! That 32 knot base speed plus 40 knot speed boost is so tempting for me lol. Destroyer speed in a battleship. Maybe it is a bit too much, I think they will make the duration very short, otherwise I don't think it will be balanced.

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles
5 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Just a gut feeling.

I bet the unique Richelieu playstyle people want will be a Premium Ship.  Gascogne will be the Tech Tree ship.

Why do I say this?  I still remember the drama of Pre-German BB Release.  When Gneisenau didn't get the historical guns she had that are found on Scharnhorst.  Scharnhorst became the Premium.  My was *THAT* a sh*tstorm.

Scharnhorst and Gneisenau were never competing for the tech tree spot though. Gneisenau was even in the line-reveal wallpaper from the very beginning.

Again, Richelieu has 2 hulls and several upgrades. It's pretty safe to assume she's the line-ship.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,670 posts
9,998 battles

In isolation, I could see a Richelieu premium - probably fun, actually built ship - might well sell.

Who wants a premium worse-Richelieu with no history, unbuilt?

Given WG's treatment of the RN and pay-for-history on the Nelson I am suddenly struck by a chilling thought... Did Nelson have a bottom/top hull too? Have WG realized Richelieu may sell while Gascoigne is even more doomed than Huang He...

Find out next year on 'French Battleship Line Release!'

[SALT]
3,660 posts
2,671 battles
21 minutes ago, IronMike11B4O said:

How so? Gascogne has 270 degrees of gun arc on both fore and aft turrets giving her a comfortable 40 degree angle on shots to deflect incoming fire while using the aft turret with +/- 5 degrees for leading. She also has a better layout for AA protection as well as gun arcs for her secondary guns against vessels. Overall it's true she can't just live bow on but she can definitely use both turrets without going broadside.

Also, unlike Spee, she has the armor to take a hit at those angles where Spee has to immediately bow back in to reduce the cross section of hits.

[SIM]
Members
2,435 posts
4,068 battles

Personally, I really hope that Gascogne is the premium. Richelieu looks like MOAR DUNKERQUE, while Gascogne brings something different to the premium mix.

Edited by SkaerKrow

[VVV]
Members
2,399 posts

Richelieu has both stock and upgraded hulls modeled. That's a pretty good sign of her not being a premium.

Since Gascogne seems to have no advantages over Richelieu and a significant disadvantage via her turret layout, I really think she'd be better as a T7 instead of a T8 premium.

[WAIFU]
Beta Testers
1,881 posts
3,538 battles
3 hours ago, MrEndeavour said:

Wg could find another t9 bb and sell the izumo as a t8 prem

[REVY]
Members
6,014 posts
5,102 battles
5 minutes ago, Lord_Magus said:

Richelieu has both stock and upgraded hulls modeled. That's a pretty good sign of her not being a premium.

Since Gascogne seems to have no advantages over Richelieu and a significant disadvantage via her turret layout, I really think she'd be better as a T7 instead of a T8 premium.

Before they already announced the T7 as the 16 gun monster Lyons, I would have agreed.

lyon1.jpg?ssl=1