Sign in to follow this  
Gavroche_

Does Conqueror have good AA?

8 comments in this topic

Members
1,787 posts
7,218 battles

I've just recently gotten the Midway b/c of the upcoming U.S. CV buffs and I've been playing around with her for a bit. I've been in battles with Conquerors for a couple times and each time I've dropped them I've lost a sizeable chunk of my planes. Granted, I'm still running stock planes (still the upgraded essex planes), but each time I've been surprised by the loses. The first strike with a single TB squadron lost 3 planes on the way in and then 3 planes after dropping torpedoes. The second drop with 2 DBs lost 4 planes on the way in and then 3 planes on the way out.

I've checked the stats from the tech tree (I don't have it yet so I can't see what the AA would look like with modules and stuff) but it doesn't seem all that impressive. However, in my experience at least, my loses would've been comparable to that of a decently AA specced Montana or Iowa.

It seems the mid-range AA aura is pretty strong.

Do any  of you Conqueror players out there run full or partial AA builds? Is the AA good in your opinion? I'm likely avoiding them if I can from now on.

Supertester
2,589 posts
8,274 battles

I find that it has good AA, but if anything sneezes on deck, half the long range guns and most of the midrange guns are knocked out. 

[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Members, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers, Supertester, Supertest Coordinator
5,817 posts
5,346 battles
5 minutes ago, Show_Me_Your_Cits said:

I find that it has good AA, but if anything sneezes on deck, half the long range guns and most of the midrange guns are knocked out. 

This.  While the DPS on paper is impressive, the 40mm guns are very vulnerable, and you can easily lose them.  Same with Monarch and Lion.  I end most games with maybe 1/4 my AA remaining unless it's a complete blowout, and I've had several games where ALL of the AA mounts are destroyed.  This was one of my first games in Conqueror, about 7 minutes into it.

5NmdneX.png

• Cool 1

Members
1,787 posts
7,218 battles
1 hour ago, Tedster_ said:

This.  While the DPS on paper is impressive, the 40mm guns are very vulnerable, and you can easily lose them.  Same with Monarch and Lion.  I end most games with maybe 1/4 my AA remaining unless it's a complete blowout, and I've had several games where ALL of the AA mounts are destroyed.  This was one of my first games in Conqueror, about 7 minutes into it.

5NmdneX.png

Can you buff that with modules and preventative maintenance?

[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Members, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers, Supertester, Supertest Coordinator
5,817 posts
5,346 battles
27 minutes ago, Gavorche said:

Can you buff that with modules and preventative maintenance?

I believe so, but if you do that, that's at the expense of other items.  the main guns like to get crit a lot so I'm hesitant to swap to the AA mod there.  Maybe I'm not playing it selfishly enough :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles
10 minutes ago, Tedster_ said:

Maybe I'm not playing it selfishly enough :Smile_trollface:

Lol.:Smile_teethhappy:

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,557 posts
13,996 battles

Conqueror, like GK, has a very good foundation for AA, even better than GK.  However, with stealth, survival, cutting down on consumables CD, emphasis on main battery performance, Conqueror's AA is typically never truly realized.

Lots of German BBs can have terrific AA but nobody ever specs for it.  Conqueror, Lion are the exact same way.  Even German BBs since they like Secondary Builds use BFT / AFT which helps in AA.  RN BBs don't even have good Secondaries, so there's even less reason to slot it.  For RN BBs, the emphasis on main battery means ASM1.  Do you want to give up Conqueror's trollish accuracy at range for AA by going with AAGM2 instead?

In contrast, Montana can adopt AAGM2 for its AA suite in Slot 2 and still buff her main battery dispersion by using APRM2 in Slot 3.  This is why Montana will always be the traditional queen of Tier X BB AA.  The other BBs have to give up main battery dispersion buffing to have good AA while Montana doesn't.

42 minutes ago, Tedster_ said:

I believe so, but if you do that, that's at the expense of other items.  the main guns like to get crit a lot so I'm hesitant to swap to the AA mod there.  Maybe I'm not playing it selfishly enough :Smile_trollface:

This is very important.  The big deal is Slot 1 upgrades.

You can have MAM1 to toughen up the main battery turrets.  RN BB turrets with their thin, vertical faces are easy to KO.  You don't want your turrets getting KO'd easily.

Buuuut, AAM1 toughens up secondary and AA mounts.  But you leave your main battery more vulnerable to getting KO'd more.

At high tier, RN BBs have the weakest turrets of all BB lines.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

Sign in to follow this