You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
05Chopp

Edinburgh...the forgotten RN T8 CL...Buffs Needed

18 comments in this topic

[SYN]
Members
245 posts
9,621 battles

When's the last time You seen an Edinburgh in Battle?...sold this boat on my way up the line, (yes, justa fiji at T8) - But now I want her back and don't want to drop silver on a rebranded Fiji - this ship needs "re-balance" to fit at T8(9,10.) Now some of you may throw stats at me, I've seen them, Warships.today puts her middle of the pack, also 1 of the least played ships at her tier - she is a weak representation of RNCL at T8, her guns are the very noticeable weakness.... any additional information/opinions welcomed..

(and don't misunderstand she's a gud bote at her tier or below - she just needs more when shes at T9,T10 which is often)

All warships in top configuration
  PBSC107.png

Fiji

U.K., Cruiser, Tier VII 

Remove
PBSC108.png

Edinburgh

U.K., Cruiser, Tier VIII 

Remove

Survivability

Survivability 31 400

Survivability 36 400

Artillery

Main Turrets 4
Secondary Gun Turrets 4
Main Battery Firing Range 15.4 km
Maximum Dispersion 139 m
180 Degree Turn Time 25.71 s
Rate of Fire 8 rounds/min
Reload Time 7.5 s
Main Battery
152 mm/50 Mk XXIII 4 x 3
HE Shell
Maximum Damage 2100
Chance of Fire on Target Caused by HE Shell 9 %
Damage per Salvo 25 200
Damage per Minute 201 600
AP Shell
Maximum Damage 3100
Damage per Salvo 37 200
Damage per Minute 297 600

Main Turrets 4
Secondary Gun Turrets 6
Main Battery Firing Range 15.4 km
Maximum Dispersion 139 m
180 Degree Turn Time 25.71 s
Rate of Fire 8 rounds/min
Reload Time 7.5 s
Main Battery
152 mm/50 Mk XXIII 4 x 3
HE Shell
Maximum Damage 2100
Chance of Fire on Target Caused by HE Shell 9 %
Damage per Salvo 25 200
Damage per Minute 201 600
AP Shell
Maximum Damage 3100
Damage per Salvo 37 200
Damage per Minute 297 600
Secondary Armament  
Secondary Gun Turrets 4
Firing Range 5 km
102 mm HE 35 lb - HE Shell
Rate of Fire 20 rounds/min
Maximum Damage 1500
Chance of Fire on Target Caused by HE Shell 6 %

Secondary Gun Turrets 6
Firing Range 5 km
102 mm HE 35 lb - HE Shell
Rate of Fire 20 rounds/min
Maximum Damage 1500
Chance of Fire on Target Caused by HE Shell 6 %
AA Defense

AA Mounts 21
40 mm Bofors Mk V
Average Damage per Second 24
Firing Range 3.5 km
40 mm Bofors Mk II
Average Damage per Second 31
Firing Range 3.5 km
20 mm Oerlikon Mk IV
Average Damage per Second 10
Firing Range 2 km
20 mm Oerlikon Mk V
Average Damage per Second 60
Firing Range 2 km
102 mm/45 QF Mk XIX*
Average Damage per Second 60
Firing Range 5 km

AA Mounts 23
40 mm Bofors Mk VI
Average Damage per Second 87
Firing Range 3.5 km
20 mm Oerlikon Mk V
Average Damage per Second 85
Firing Range 2 km
102 mm/45 QF Mk XIX*
Average Damage per Second 90
Firing Range 5 km
Maneuverability

Maximum Speed 32.5 knots
Turning Circle Radius 590 m
Rudder Shift Time 8.6 s

Maximum Speed 32.5 knots
Turning Circle Radius 680 m
Rudder Shift Time 9.6 s
Concealment

Detectability Range by Air 7.3 km
Detectability Range by Sea 11.5 km

Detectability Range by Air 8.1 km
Detectability Range by Sea 11.7 km
Torpedoes

Torpedo 533 mm Mk IX*
Torpedo Range 8 km
Reload Time 72 s
Maximum Damage 15866
180 Degree Turn Time 7.2 s
Torpedo Speed 61 knots
Tubes
533 mm TR Mk IV 2 x 3 533 mm
Damage per Salvo 95 196
Damage per Minute 79 330

Torpedo 533 mm Mk IX**
Torpedo Range 10 km
Reload Time 72 s
Maximum Damage 15533
180 Degree Turn Time 7.2 s
Torpedo Speed 62 knots
Tubes
533 mm TR Mk IV 2 x 3 533 mm
Damage per Salvo 93 198
Damage per Minute 77 665
Battles 872 612 613 006
Win rate 53.32% 51.24%
Damage 44 515 42 833
Destroyed warships 0.99 0.77
Experience 1 326 1 375
Aircraft destroyed 0.89 1.17
Kills / deaths 1.75 1.34
World of Warships is trademark of Wargaming.net.
Author: Wiochi © contact@wows-numbers.com

Members
1,243 posts
20,622 battles

7.9 sec reload, 9.0 km concealment, repair, torps, and smoke.

Looking at the ship stats, you're right, it seems like a Fiji basically.  But Fiji fights fine up to T9.

But Edinburgh does have some things going for it:

Faster reload than NO or Takao, better concealment than both.  NO doesn't even have a repair or torps.

The only other T8 CL with smoke is the Kutuzov, which you can't buy anymore (kicking myself for not getting her).

And T8, depending on the mix, is the last tier where you can really play your RN CL as a front line ship.

I think it's a good ship for it's tier, and better than some others at T8.  And can compete all the way to T10, but not as aggressively.

Having said all that; though, I wouldn't hit you on the head with a wet noodle for seeking a buff.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,385 posts
10,165 battles

I just got Edinburgh recently. I expected to do much better in it than I am. After all, it is just a bigger Fiji. However, I find I struggle to even come close to getting it to perform for me the way Fiji has. Fiji is a beast while Edinburgh has been meh. Why? I wouldn't say MM as I see pretty much the same ships when I play them both. I do way better in Fiji. Edinburgh just feels like it lacks something. What that is though???

Alpha Tester
937 posts
6,345 battles

I thouht it was good.  It is better than NO.  Also look at it this way: you play a mediocre Tier VIII but get a great Tier IX, which is the bastard tier of the game for most ships.

[SYN]
Members
245 posts
9,621 battles
31 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I just got Edinburgh recently. I expected to do much better in it than I am. After all, it is just a bigger Fiji. However, I find I struggle to even come close to getting it to perform for me the way Fiji has. Fiji is a beast while Edinburgh has been meh. Why? I wouldn't say MM as I see pretty much the same ships when I play them both. I do way better in Fiji. Edinburgh just feels like it lacks something. What that is though???

I think a big part of it is.....you come from a really great ship (Fiji) at T7 - then Edinburgh...

47 minutes ago, slokill_1 said:

7.9 sec reload, 9.0 km concealment, repair, torps, and smoke.

Looking at the ship stats, you're right, it seems like a Fiji basically.  But Fiji fights fine up to T9.

But Edinburgh does have some things going for it:

Faster reload than NO or Takao, better concealment than both.  NO doesn't even have a repair or torps.

The only other T8 CL with smoke is the Kutuzov, which you can't buy anymore (kicking myself for not getting her).

And T8, depending on the mix, is the last tier where you can really play your RN CL as a front line ship.

I think it's a good ship for it's tier, and better than some others at T8.  And can compete all the way to T10, but not as aggressively.

Having said all that; though, I wouldn't hit you on the head with a wet noodle for seeking a buff.

good points , 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,676 posts
10,011 battles

Edinburgh does look a little unfortunate following on from Fiji, but I preferred her.

The improvements are subtle - concealment and the improved heal. Concealment is a huge deal, even with the same firepower. Fiji is a bit of a damage farmer, her concealment doesn't let her get in as close to fight over caps and murder DD's when supported. The heal keeps you alive and the armor scheme is better than the Neptune/Minotaur.

Edinburgh also gets to see T10 a lot, while Fiji will see T5 a lot - you're up against far more experienced opposition.

Members
1,772 posts
8,085 battles

Edinburgh has horrible, terrible, no good deceleration compared to the Fiji. Even after you realize just how bad it is it still is difficult to play around. Also while the maneuverability isn't bad it can be the difference between having time to angle in the Fiji but not in the Edinburgh. Lastly Edinburgh gets uptiered more.

[WOLF5]
Members
439 posts
18,270 battles

The Edi is fine. Do yourself a favor and look at the numbers on wows-numbers.com. They actually break out the best 5/10/25/50% players for each ship. You balance the ships for the unicum, not the potato. If you don't count the OP ships (Belfast/Kutuzov), Fiji ends #2 in T-VII and the Edi is #2 or #3 at T-VIII. Not exactly middle of the pack nor a big difference. . 

Also those concealment numbers don't reflect the fact that at T-VIII you can mount the concealment module. That's another 10% reduction right there. Yes you have the same exact main gun, but you get torps that you can almost stealth torp with and slightly better AA.

While I applaud your RN pride, the main reason why the Edi feels worse is because she sees Tier 6-10s whereas the Fiji sees 5-9. T-V's are very squishy and T-X's are very well armored. Also factor in the time needed to advance to each tier, you're facing more experienced opponents since your more likely to be uptiered because of T-IV protected MM. Mistakes in a T-X match are usually very painful if not fatal. In a T-V match they may not even be noticed and since you're the only cruiser at T-VII that gets a heal, much more forgiving. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,676 posts
10,011 battles
29 minutes ago, CaptainTeddybear said:

Edinburgh has horrible, terrible, no good deceleration compared to the Fiji. Even after you realize just how bad it is it still is difficult to play around. Also while the maneuverability isn't bad it can be the difference between having time to angle in the Fiji but not in the Edinburgh. Lastly Edinburgh gets uptiered more.

Edit NVM - total misread.

Edited by mofton

[ANIME]
Members
363 posts
9,306 battles
9 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

A lot of my issues with the Edin seem to stem from the size.  It's clumsier in turns and stopping seems to be a problem.

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
4,950 posts
1,487 battles
2 hours ago, h9k_a said:

The Edi is fine. Do yourself a favor and look at the numbers on wows-numbers.com. They actually break out the best 5/10/25/50% players for each ship. You balance the ships for the unicum, not the potato. If you don't count the OP ships (Belfast/Kutuzov), Fiji ends #2 in T-VII and the Edi is #2 or #3 at T-VIII. Not exactly middle of the pack nor a big difference. . 

Actually WG'ing balances for all skill tiers. if a ship is fine in unicum hands but severely underperforming in average they will change it. Hell Even ships like SHima which only slightly underperform in average hands, (WG'ings statement not mine), is an area of concern for them.

[SYN]
Members
14,375 posts
10,239 battles

Edinburgh gets the super repair party.

If anything, Fiji is a bit strong

[PRDEF]
Members
15 posts

Its guns are the issue against so many Tier 9 and 10's , especially bb's. Can land 8 hits and get no damage on a broadside hit. Thats kinda unrealistic to get no damage, whereas damage i get against Cruisers or dd's is whats expected.If i was hitting those bb's at angles I could understand, which is where with no HE shell as option, it is [edited] and I never get a fire despite what the stats say.

[WOLF5]
Members
439 posts
18,270 battles
15 hours ago, Carl said:

Actually WG'ing balances for all skill tiers. if a ship is fine in unicum hands but severely underperforming in average they will change it. Hell Even ships like SHima which only slightly underperform in average hands, (WG'ings statement not mine), is an area of concern for them.

I vaguely remember a SubOctavian interview where he explained they look at the "top" and "bottom" players - he never said what percentile when they balance a ship. The middle is not considered. 

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
4,950 posts
1,487 battles
6 minutes ago, h9k_a said:

I vaguely remember a SubOctavian interview where he explained they look at the "top" and "bottom" players - he never said what percentile when they balance a ship. The middle is not considered. 

Anyone who's played WoT for as long as i have knows WG''ing has changed tanks because of how the middle is performing, and i'm confident from what sub-octavian has said, (again especially in relation to Shima), that they work the same way.

[SF-A]
Members
2,849 posts
5,548 battles

It's an awesome ship. Use your heal to soak some damage while pushing to within 12km of enemy BBs. You can tank fires and flooding every time. Hammer broadsides until DDs show up, then blap them 4k at a time.

Oh, you can pen the bows of N Cals for about 8k at a time.

Edited by pewpewpew42

[SF-3]
Members
1,442 posts
7,912 battles

I feel the same way as a lot of people do, Fiji was the better ship. However, I don't necessarily believe this is the case. Fiji is a very good ship, but mostly because the max it can see is T9, however, with protected MM it sees a lot of T7 games, where you are top tier, thusly inflating how well you will do. What I noticed with Edinburgh is you see mostly T10 games. Not everyone is good at that level but I would say the majority of people can aim better. Also the shell size / damage gets bigger. I find you have to be much more careful in Edinburgh, you will get punished a lot easier than in Fiji.

[SF-3]
Members
3,177 posts
8,170 battles

Use a full AA spec build on Edinburgh (BFT+AFT+MAA+AA modules). The AA is seriously underrated; I didn't even have AFT until I got Neptune, so the screenshots below are with just BFT, MAA, and AA modules. Plus, I think Edinburgh was actually more fun than Neptune. The 6.6km detection range after firing in smoke is pretty bad compared to Edinburgh, and my aggressive plays that worked well with Fiji and Edinburgh no longer work with Neptune due to more passive players, and the fact that games are more or less decided by whichever team's DDs die in the first few minutes (seems to be my team more often than not).

Spoiler

JKCoD5Q.jpg

l8ttOGB.jpg