You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
MasterDiggs

Amagi Help

21 comments in this topic

[PVE]
Members
496 posts
4,072 battles

Can someone give me some pointers? I got my Amagi a couple of days ago and I am having trouble landing shots at medium and close range.

I fired on a broadside Amagi at about 12km aiming at the waterline and all 10 shells flew in a neat flat line up over the hull of the ship. Same exact thing happened at 10km against a broadside North Carolina in a different game: aimed at the waterline and all 10 shells neatly passed right over the hull and into the water on the farside. How can it be this far off so close in?

I citidelled these ships at these ranges in my Nagato. Are the guns different somehow? I am still in the stock hull, is that a part of it? 

I think I remember Nagato having crap accuracy on its stock hull, but I used free xp to get the B hull on my Nagato after a couple of games because the wiki said the B hull increased its accuracy. The wiki doesn't say that about the Amagi (unless I missed it).

Help please, I put myself in decent positions just to whiff easy shots which is not very helpful to the team.

Edit: I have the accuracy upgrade equipped.

Edited by MasterDiggs

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,268 posts

Nagato and Amagi are different. One easy  thing to do is setup a training room - there's an option to activate them in the Official Unofficial mod pack... there you can fir hundreds of rounds to see what she does consistently. I do believe you'll find she's a better sniper than she is brawler. But that's just mho. 

[PVE]
Members
1,224 posts
4,732 battles

I haven't had as much trouble with her but I can see your point. It is refreshing after lots of Tirpitz time to have a BB that can actually make long range hits consistently. Good but not awe inspiring secondaries and enough armor to make brawling practical in many situations both combine to make her for me at least a go to fun ship.

[KNTAI]
Members
1,084 posts
5,947 battles
20 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

... she's a better sniper than she is brawler. ...

This^

Having gotten an Amagi myself recently, and her being actually a battlecruiser, her armor is weaker than Nagato's. 

Playing experience has taught me to keep my distance, angle, and, if possible, try to sail together with 1 or more supporting team mates. (Not necessarily in a division, though) 

Edited by Cruiser_SanJuan

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,317 posts
11,420 battles

Put accuracy module on her.

Her range is good enough, use spotter plane for early and late game sniped.

She does brawl well slightly angled.

Fully upgraded she is a beast. 

Members
426 posts
8,345 battles

Her accuracy is really good.   Are you sure you were locked onto the target you were going for?   If your locked on a nearer or further target your shells likely will just land between the ship you are aiming for and the one you are locked on.

[KNTAI]
Members
173 posts
4,737 battles

Amagi is basically a Nagato on steroids. Everything you learned in Nagato, Amagi will shine.

...but I do admit I've played games where she just doesn't feel like hitting anything with her guns - including full broadside CAs at 12km. :cap_wander:

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,357 posts
10,138 battles
On 11/26/2017 at 12:00 PM, MasterDiggs said:

Can someone give me some pointers? I got my Amagi a couple of days ago and I am having trouble landing shots at medium and close range.

I fired on a broadside Amagi at about 12km aiming at the waterline and all 10 shells flew in a neat flat line up over the hull of the ship. Same exact thing happened at 10km against a broadside North Carolina in a different game: aimed at the waterline and all 10 shells neatly passed right over the hull and into the water on the farside. How can it be this far off so close in?

I citidelled these ships at these ranges in my Nagato. Are the guns different somehow? I am still in the stock hull, is that a part of it? 

I think I remember Nagato having crap accuracy on its stock hull, but I used free xp to get the B hull on my Nagato after a couple of games because the wiki said the B hull increased its accuracy. The wiki doesn't say that about the Amagi (unless I missed it).

Help please, I put myself in decent positions just to whiff easy shots which is not very helpful to the team.

Edit: I have the accuracy upgrade equipped.

Hello fellow PVE Clan member LOL 

I too struggled mightily with Amagi.  Nagato as well (worse actually). I found both failed  completely to live up to the forum hype on them re: the guns. I heard people use the term laser god like rifles so much I expected to never miss and to instadelete all targets but in reality they were meh guns for me. As you describe perfect, good range, full broadside ships and the shells go everywhere but on target OR if they do hit you get very inconsistent returns. For every 2-3 citadel salvo that does massive damage you get 10 salvos of 2-3K in damage. I just never could make either of those ships work gun wise consistently. Very frustrating to say the least. That was with the aiming module too.

One thing that helped me a lot was to raise my aim up with the guns. Another member suggested that. Instead of aiming for the waterline I raised my aim up slightly above it. Not quite 1/2 way up the hull. I started getting more hits and not so many shorts. Obviously the over shots continued and more of them but as a whole it got me more hits. Almost was like shooting out of the Kaiser. Aim for the middle and hope for some hits. LOL. Obviously Amagi is more accurate than Kaiser (shooting with that is like Stevie Wonder throwing rocks at something) but it had that feel to me and as said the damage returns could be so poor when you did hit that it felt like a miss. I actually have a better main battery hit % with it vs other BB's I feel are more accurate and it most likely comes down to when I do hit with those I am assured of a lot of damage whereas Amagi it is like rolling the dice damage wise. Sometimes you get a 7 but usually it is craps.

I will say this. Amagi is tough. It has excellent armor. Can bounce a lot of shells and even from some T10 BB's. It has good speed and has decent handling. The AA is mediocre but the secondary guns are actually pretty good.  You can actually brawl with Amagi. I started doing more of that as I for darn sure couldn't sit back and shoot from range like most say to do with it. Just wasn't consistent enough with the guns for me to do that. Unlike Nagato you can actually close in with Amagi and get nasty which helps mitigate the gun issue. 

Many people say due to the design of the IJN shells that you actually want to shoot a bit below the waterline not at it. The theory is the long fuse delays they had can be optimized by letting the impact of the water start the fuse and then the shells goes through into ship and explodes. Well, I think this is not a workable theory. I base that off the huge number of short shots with Nagato and Amagi that did NOTHING damage wise. Many of those had to have fallen in the area people are talking of and my damage when I would aim for waterline was very low. Once I raised my aim up and got some hits on the ship damage went up.

Not sure this is of any help but I tried. I suffered through the grind from Amagi to Izumo all in Co-op. OMG was it awful, tedious, and LONG LOL. I then sued Free XP to do all of Izumo's upgrades and the research to Yamato. Izumo had zero interest for me.Now that I have Yamato I can say the grind through the awfulness that is IJN BB for the most part was worth it as Yamato is everything advertised with a cherry on top. So hang in there because the light at the end of the tunnel is worth it.

Check this video out. UrPeaceKeeper does great video how to plays and his helped me out some with Amagi and Nagato.

Good luck. :Smile_izmena:

[TR0LL]
Members
9 posts
154 battles

one thing with the gamesystem is shooting at the waterline it sometimes desync and shoot under the water or shoot way over the ships.

the closer the less problem you get, but at longrange sniping aim above the waterline and you will have more hits.

amagi is realy good ship and one of the few non prem ships i bought perma cammo on to play with when i wana relax. it works well with a secoundary build or tank build

i have brawled against bismarks and won with half health left as the main guns can do huge dammage even on angled ships

[BANT]
Beta Testers
120 posts
4,400 battles

Amagi is not in any way an accurate ship, it shotgun sprays like Fuso. Not quite as bad as Fuso, but bad enough, probably about the same as New York. The 5+ twin turret setup just does not work at tier 8+, especially with such poor turret angles and thin armour, it has way too many crippling trade offs.

I haven't found a way to make it work, because it's inferior to the NC at long range because of accuracy and turret layout, inferior to Bismrack/Tirpitz in a brawl for a lot of reasons, and since you can spot it from the moon it can't do the medium range pop-in-shoot-pop-out that both Monarch and NC can do. It's a frustrating boat with no advantages - even the stupid high torpedo defense rating is just a trade off given how ridiculously easy it is to hit it with torpedoes, especially the airborne variety.

• Cool 1

Members
311 posts
2,336 battles

From my experience with amagi, it has trouble penning tier 6+ destroyers, troubling penning full broadside tier 6+ cruisers, full broadside tier 6+ battleships and the dispersion is about what you would expect from trying to snipe with a KM battleship.

• Cool 1

[TR0LL]
Members
9 posts
154 battles

never ever had issues with Amagi, so i would love to see your runs as i can easy wipe out enemy ships

had lots of bismarks stop showing broadside as they know i will do 12k + dammage to their side without citadelling them. 

my build is semi brawling with aft and bft setup for now.

Members
76 posts

[Rant]

Ugg.. I'm getting my butt kicked by the Amagi!  I was doing pretty well in the second half of my Negato grind, but I just can't seem to make Amagi work.  I can tank well in it, but just can't seem to land the high-damage shots.  I think part of the problem is that I get to "enjoy" T10 games now, but even in my last game I shot at a broadside cruiser at 10km and had half the shells go over and half go under.  Give me my Roma any day!  Sorry I turned my tracking off, all the Amagi-induced orange in there is making me sick to my stomach.

[/Rant]

Ok sorry, just needed to rant.  I'll keep at it..   

Members
311 posts
2,336 battles

I hated amagi and couldnt stand it, but for the first time since I got Amagi RNGesus let her shine, and shine she did...

bestgame.jpg

• Cool 1

Members
76 posts

I clicked through the games before calling it a night, I think my frustration was mostly mm-based.  About 2/3 of the games were T10 and one of the two (2) top-tier games was a complete collapse.

Update:  Done with Amagi, ended up with a 55% win rate.  Rough first couple days but not a bad ship overall.  Surprisingly durable.

Now that T9 grind..

Edited by Istilian

[PVE]
Members
496 posts
4,072 battles

After playing it off and on I think I have gotten used to it and I have been turning out good numbers about half of the time. I am not keeping it though. I simply don't like it enough to come back to it. I did keep the Nagato and still take her out for a spin from time to time.

Almost to Izumo...

Edited by MasterDiggs

[MOO]
Members
57 posts
5,881 battles

I am so done with the Amagi.  At tier 10, her shells won't penetrate.  At tier 8, her shell OVERpenetrate.  She's prone to fire, her accuracy is inconsistent, and she handles like a brick.  I've had a few good matches in her, but those matches often involve racking up 50-60 hits, over half of them being overpens, and barely cracking 100k damage.  I consider myself a good player.  My stats tell me I'm a good player, but I will do a backflip when I finally grind out the Izumo and sell this nightmare of a ship.

Members
29 posts

While I think the Amagi has been power-creeped in recent months, I think I do reasonably well in her. I'm careful to show as little broadside as possible and use the ship's good speed and decent maneuverability to my advantage.

I very rarely miss salvoes unless I'm shooting cruisers or DDs at max range. I very rarely miss at ranges less than 13km, certainly not against BBs. DDs I tend to under-compensate on lead, but that's more me than the guns.

I'm thinking the negative impressions about the guns are more about the fact that devastating multiple-citadel hits that used to one-shot ships are mostly a thing of the past. They still happen against cruisers frequently, but against BBs? I can't remember the last time I've gotten massive hits except in my Yamato/Musashi and I was firing broadside on another Yamato/Musashi.

Members
321 posts
4,551 battles
On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 10:28 AM, dEsTurbed1 said:

Put accuracy module on her.

Her range is good enough, use spotter plane for early and late game sniped.

She does brawl well slightly angled.

Fully upgraded she is a beast. 

This^

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,317 posts
11,420 battles
10 hours ago, guinness77 said:

This^

Thank you Sir. 

I kept her and put Premium Cammo on her. 

She does dunk on some ships with her Salvos.