You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

Iowa vs Yamato  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Battle of two titans, Iowa and Yamato. Who would win?

• Yamato
    • USS Iowa

46 comments in this topic

Members
3 posts
272 battles

Shot out of a 3x3 main battery with an 18in caliber gun. In real life, which battleship would most likely destroy the living daylights out of the other?

In the Red Corner, representing the United States Navy. With a displacement of 47,000 tons, 9 × 16 in (406 mm)/50 cal Mark 7 guns and 12 × 5 in (127.0 mm)/38 cal Mark 12 guns. "The big stick" of the US fleet, USS Iowa.

aws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20171126T143642Z&X-Amz-SignedHeaders=host&X-Amz-Signature=c0f5410325e324f03042264f5016e953cd4c1393671b286f0cb6978d028ebf94

1200px-BB61_USS_Iowa_BB61_broadside_USN.jpg

And in the Blue Corner, representing the Imperial Japanese Navy of WW II. With a displacement of 76,00 ton,  9 × 46 cm Type 94 guns (3x3) and 6 × 15.5 cm 3rd Year Type guns (2x3). The symbol of the nations might, Yamato.

6_5615933.jpg

Leave a comment down below on which nation will come victorious.

also, you can follow me on

twitch:https://www.twitch.tv/nightcoregamingy467

Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1UNqiNaCt8antpJGwv-2DQ?view_as=subscriber

Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100009342832366

Twitter:https://twitter.com/Nightcore_Jeage

and Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/nightcore_levi_jeagermen/?hl=en

Don't forget in the game, You can find me as Nightcore_Jeagermen. If you see my server name and like this post, shot me a friend request and follow me for any new post or if you like to ask me any questions. See Y'all on the high seas.

Nightcore out.

[HAG]
Beta Testers
317 posts
4,070 battles

While the Yamato has heavier guns Iowa has vastly superior fire control due to this I want will get first and more often

[HINON]
Supertester
18,902 posts
12,435 battles

This is probably one of the most repeated threads on the forum, second only to submarines.

Basically, this is the NA forum and the vast majority is going to say Iowa and cite fire control, because obviously the home team has the best stuff, right?

• Cool 1

Members
1,334 posts
2,683 battles

This topic has been beat to death so many times especially on this forum, there's posts hundreds of pages long with fanboys going at each other throats.

But hey, I'll entertain the idea. I've been a hardcore Iowa **** for a very long time however, people learn over time. 

Yamato weighs 20,000 ~ tons more than Iowa, it's pretty easy to see who would win judging by pure armor and firepower alone, USN SHS and FCS **** not withstanding. It's not that Iowa is a bad ship, she's just not really comparable to Yamato.

Now if you want a ship that could have and likely would have beaten Yamato, Montana is where you should look for a good comparison. 

Moderated by Volier_Zcit

[HINON]
Supertester
18,902 posts
12,435 battles
1 minute ago, Dunk_Master_Flex said:

Now if you want a ship that could have and likely would have beaten Yamato, Montana is where you should look for a good comparison. 

Really? Because if I understand my ship designs, all Montana had on Iowa was a few dozen kilotons and three extra barrels, with the same FCS and armor profile as Iowa.

Members
4,439 posts
6,133 battles
2 minutes ago, Dunk_Master_Flex said:

This topic has been beat to death so many times especially on this forum, there's posts hundreds of pages long with fanboys going at each other throats.

But hey, I'll entertain the idea. I've been a hardcore Iowa wanker for a very long time however, people learn over time. 

Yamato weighs 20,000 ~ tons more than Iowa, it's pretty easy to see who would win judging by pure armor and firepower alone, USN SHS and FCS wank not withstanding. It's not that Iowa is a bad ship, she's just not really comparable to Yamato.

Who would hit the most?  Who would be most accurate and fire faster. I think Iowa. Technically the superior ship.  But this has been beat to death. It's just a what if.  We will never know.  Opinions tend to rule here  .  Like could Joe Louis have beaten Ali????   Maybe.  Maybe not. 

Members
1,334 posts
2,683 battles
Just now, Lert said:

Really? Because if I understand my ship designs, all Montana had on Iowa was a few dozen kilotons and three extra barrels, with the same FCS and armor profile as Iowa.

Hmm? No actually, Montana fixes Iowa's issues while keeping almost all of her strengths besides speed. Montana has similar armor profiles to Yamato while having an extra turret.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamato-class_battleship

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montana-class_battleship

I'd like to post armor profiles but I can't find one for Montana sadly.

Members
4,439 posts
6,133 battles
25 minutes ago, Lert said:

This is probably one of the most repeated threads on the forum, second only to submarines.

Basically, this is the NA forum and the vast majority is going to say Iowa and cite fire control, because obviously the home team has the best stuff, right?

I am going to cite Iowa and fire control. :Smile_glasses:

Members
1,334 posts
2,683 battles
1 minute ago, dmckay said:

Who would hit the most?  Who would be most accurate and fire faster. I think Iowa. Technically the superior ship.  But this has been beat to death. It's just a what if.  We will never know.  Opinions tend to rule here  .  Like could Joe Louis have beaten Ali????   Maybe.  Maybe not. 

All battleships fire at around the same rate of fire and Yamato wasn't slower than average in this category. Even with the USN radar FCS wank, Yamato has still shown exceptional gunnery skill straddling USS White Plains on her third salvo at 34,000 ~ yards. Iowa has similar feats against Nowaki at similar ranges however, it's unclear how close Iowa's hit actually was. The Nowaki engagement is more impressive however, it's good to remember that Yamato has done similar ranges without the American FCS.

Yamato was specifically built to slug it out with battleships. Iowa? She doesn't have the armor to play with the big boys in a standing engagement. 

[VOC]
Beta Testers
1,124 posts
5,871 battles

If, if, if; we don't know who would be superior to each other because they have never fight each other. Like Lert said; most people say Iowa because of the NA forum. If we have to choose; I say Yamato because; biggest caliber guns on a Battleship

Members
842 posts

Besides fire control, which, when it comes down to it, means you can put more hits on target than your opponent, the other very significant factor in favor of the Iowa had nothing to do with the ship itself, but rather the crew.

Damage Control.

The USN's practices of damage control were VASTLY superior to the IJN's. During the war, time and time again IJN ships were lost to very poor damage control practices, while USN ships in similar situations were saved or, even better, continued to fight.

So not only would the Iowa be able to put more metal on target than the Yamato, the Yamato would be much less capable of containing the damage done.  And remember that large amounts of significant damage are done to BBs that AREN'T in the most protected areas.  For instance, it's highly likely that the loss of the HMS Hood was a fire in a boathouse, which spread to the 4" magazines.  There's LOTS of places on the Yamato that the Iow's 16" shells would have no problem penetrating, and the IJN's inability to consistently perform competent damage control means those hits would be much more ship-critical than compareable ones on the Iowa.

• Cool 1

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles

This pretty much sums up what the others are saying about Iowa(Missouri here)...

I'd still support Yamato though.

Besides, it's just a probability like @dmckay mentioned. It may be possible it may be not.

Edited by Silver_kun

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,128 posts
8,746 battles

The winner would be whoever got the first damaging hit in. That said the Iowa has one huge advantage over the Yamato that is rarely brought up in these what if arguments, it could keep its guns on target even in the most extreme maneuvering which the Yamato could not.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,311 posts
9,389 battles

All boils down to weather.

In clear weather, Yamato has the advantage with better optical fire control and a better shell trajectory. Guns are about equal otherwise at long range, and a lot of the usual Japanese problems go away when you have two ships dueling (for the Japanese, damage control is something you do after the fight, for the US, you pull your ship out of the fight to do it.)

In Poor visibility, Iowa wins hands down, Yamato will take forever to land a salvo if it ever happens, Iowa can shoot almost as well by radar as she can optically. This would produce a longer engagement, and with Yamato's fire control being largely manual, crew fatigue becomes an issue.

If you would drop them in the North Sea in the middle of winter, Yamato wins hands down, as neither ship will see each other until they collide,  and bigger is better when someone gets T-boned.

Members
4,439 posts
6,133 battles
32 minutes ago, Silver_kun said:

This pretty much sums up what the others are saying about Iowa(Missouri here)...

I'd still support Yamato though.

Besides, it's just a probability like @dmckay mentioned. It may be possible it may be not.

Pretty interesting vid Silver but why the hell did this guy not just put those models of the Yamato and Missouri in a swimming pool and let them duke it out and that would have gone a long way toward a definitive answer to this endless what if? In real life they did not sail on tabletops. :Smile_Default:  Nope.  Ha ha ha.

Edited by dmckay
  • Cool 1

WoWS Wiki Editor
7,201 posts
6,433 battles

Regardless of the outcome, the winner will not look good. This is not a heavily one-sided battle like Ten-Go turned out, both ships are very well capable of damaging each other and the outcome will be decided by luck, location, the crew, weather, etc.

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles
2 minutes ago, dmckay said:

Pretty interesting vid Silver but why the hell did this guy not just put those models of the Yamato and Missouri in a swimming pool and let them duke it out and that would have gone a long way toward a definitive answer to this endless what if? In real life they did not sail on tabletops. :Smile_Default:  Nope.  Ha ha ha.

Lol, :Smile_teethhappy: I don't know :p. He should have done as you said!

[PVE]
Members
1,222 posts
4,732 battles

National arguments aside both have strong points and flaws making it a highly situational equation with issues in play much like @Lert's NorCar vs Bismarck thread. 

Members
4,439 posts
6,133 battles
26 minutes ago, Lionel92 said:

@16.09 quote: ''The largest and most powerfull Battleship in history''

Excellent video Sir. 

Members
1,334 posts
1,343 battles

Pure Nippon steel wins every time.  Shh We didn't lose WW2 or that time she sank when she encountered planes in a dark ally

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,332 posts
10,121 battles

I actually think it would be close and it would come down to the skill of the crews and leadership which is something the US clearly had the edge over Japan in WW2 with very rare exceptions. Barring a very rare and fluky Bismarck/Hood scenario where one ship 1 shots the other both ships would most likely be seriously damaged. Iowa would be more accurate and get more shots off which makes up for the slightly smaller guns. I give the edge to Iowa for crew, commander, and gun control. Yamato has the dge in sheer firepower. So it comes down to which side gets the most hits in early. I think the Iowa could take Yamato.

Edited by AdmiralThunder