You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
hangglide42

WOWS Enjoyment - Leading Angled Targets

5 comments in this topic

[PROJX]
Members
967 posts
15,431 battles

Hi All!  Hangglide42 w/ a quick tip this time on having more success at hitting targets that are angled - this article is a supplement to the WOWS Enjoyment - Ships and Shooting article which covers "where to shoot what types of ships when".

A complete list of Forum Articles in the links below can be found in WOWS Enjoyment - List of Forum Articles & Guides.

Aiming Reticule Basics

There are many YouTube videos that cover the aiming reticule mechanics in WOWS very well so I'll just quickly summarize the basic principles.  There are two aiming reticule types in the game: static and dynamic.

• Static Reticule - Calibrated for a "BB" sized target moving at 20 knots
  • Dynamic Reticule - Calibrated for a "BB" sized target moving at 30 knots

Assuming a broadside target, you then pick your aimpoint by:

• Estimating the target's speed
    • DDs travel faster than 20 or 30 knots in general so you have to make this compensation for the DDs speed also.
    • Most cruisers will do over 30 knots so you will have to make a compensation for Cruiser speeds.
  • Based on the ship type:
    • For DDs which are shorter (approx 1/2 the length of a BB), you need to add tick marks to your lead to hit the center of the DD. 
    • For most CL/CAss which are still slightly smaller than BBs, you need to add a tick mark or two of lead.  Note: some larger Cruisers are BB sized and need no adjustment here.

It's pretty simple and straighforward once you get used to it.

Adjusting for Angle

When the ship is angled towards you, there's one more adjustment to the lead that you have to make and I'll give you some quick rules of thumb to adjust your lead depending on how much a target angles towards or away from you.  Firstly, to make sure we are on the same page:  A broadside target (i.e. ship showing its flat side) is angled at 0 degrees to you.  A ship coming directly towards you or moving directly away is angled at 90 degrees.

(This is the math explanation - if you're not interested & just want the tips, skip this next paragraph)

Ship speed is a velocity vector.  When you adjust for the horizontal lead on an angled target, the ships horizontal velocity is reflected by the "cosine of the angling times the speed of the ship".  Those w/ HS Trig or Physics will find this familiar - for the game, no one is going to do this math, but this is what it reduces to in some quick tips below:

Quick Tips

I do not use any mod packs in my game so I'm using a Mk I "eyeball" to estimate a enemy target's angling - the suggestions below are made with this in mind.  There are legal mod packs (most notably Aslains) which show how much an enemy ship is actually angled that can give you a more precise reading on how to apply the following tips.  In general, I use quick estimation to get "thumb in the wind windage" so my brain doesn't have to do any real math in the game - the dispersion of your shells should "cover" the effects of the math rounding I'm doing so it's "good enough"

• I use 30, 45, 60 degrees as "benchmark" lead points to gauge anything in-between (i.e. interpolate further lead based on these angles & the shot results you get)
  • A ship's horizontal lead is barely affected at shallower angles (i.e. < 30 degress angling) and require, in general < 10% lead correction. 
  • For a ship angled at 30 degrees, its horizontal speed is reduced by approx 13% (in the reticule, take ~7/8 of the lead you would take for broadside)
  • For a ship angled at 45 degrees, its horizontal speed is reduced by approx 29% (in the reticule, take ~2/3 of the lead you would take for a broadside)
  • For a ship angled at 60 degrees, its horizontal speed is reduced by 50% (half-is half...)
  • Vertical Lead - Once you get your horizontal lead - form a mental "right triangle" (a triangle w/ a 90 degree corner) picture based on where the enemy ship is positioned and place the angled ship on the hypotenuse (i.e the longest side) of the "mental triangle" with the horizontal lead being one of the other sides of the triangle (i.e. the nose of the enemy ship should point straight at the horizontal lead aimpoint).  This will give you a good approximation of the amount of vertical lead you need to give your aim (i.e. the 3rd side of the triangle).
  • If a ship is nearly stationary, but angled (i.e. for bow-campers) - if you have a torpedo armed ship, you can use the torpedo aiming reticule to get a read on whether the ship is really stationary or slowly moving and in what direction. The torpedo lead indicator will give you the target's relative movement information to better adjust your "fire spam" shots on the easy target.
  • These tips are useful if you want to hit specific parts of a ship as well - more advanced players will:
    • Try to hit the additional fire spots on a ship (there are 4 spots on a BB for example, 2 on the superstructure, bow & stern)
    • Aim selectively for bow, stern, superstructure or other less well-armored areas of a ship.

As you gain more experience in the game these will become second nature to you - w/o any undue mental stress.  Good luck & good shooting Captains! o7

Edited by hangglide42
  • Cool 4

[FF]
Members
83 posts
5,167 battles

Wow, very in depth. Although, I usually just guess when aiming against angled targets. Over time you'll know exactly where to aim with angled targets and hope that most of your shells hit. I've aimed so many shots in my 3k + games that it's muscle memory at this point. 

[PROJX]
Members
967 posts
15,431 battles
9 minutes ago, GBean17 said:

Wow, very in depth. Although, I usually just guess when aiming against angled targets. Over time you'll know exactly where to aim with angled targets and hope that most of your shells hit. I've aimed so many shots in my 3k + games that it's muscle memory at this point. 

Hey GBean!  Agree!  After the number of games we played, this becomes somewhat second nature, but I thought w/ the number of new Steam players, this could help them get started in their 1st 1000.

[TF16B]
Members
8,051 posts
16,991 battles

Now if only those asterix angle reticles hadn't proved so worthless to me... I have a harder time using those than I do just the flat vanilla one... Pretty much none of the angle line ever gave a good indicator, generally so far off as to be useless.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet