You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
HP_McDoogle

I desperately need to learn how to play the Tirptiz.

48 comments in this topic

Members
11 posts
757 battles

Title pretty much says it all. 
I had thought myself prepared for playing the Tirptiz since i'd reached the Gneisenau. I was completely wrong, i've looked up and studied every guide imaginable but i'm still not fairing very well. What i'm seeing is that the battles of Tier 4~6 battleships are entirely different than tiers 7~10. It seems like everyone in tier 8~10 BB just park bow on  in the middle of the starting zone and endlessly fires at anything they can see until it's 'safe' to move out later. I'm unsure of where Tirpitz shines in what areas of a (general) map, where would the most effective places be to use her, what kind of movements should i make regarding the terrain and what kinds of ships i fight.

I've seen Yuro's "how to Tirptiz" (both) videos, Ichase, UrPeaceKeeper (Whiskey Gaming Lounge) and many others, but there's just a lot of things i'm not understanding about how to use her efficiently. I try to engage within 15km where everyone says her guns work, but with proper aim, i'm still not getting any results, i often only average out about 30k~50k damage games, and i get pummled all the time by HE spamming cruisers, and even worse, British HE spamming BBs. 

I set my ship up with the necessaries for improving secondary range and accuracy, and when i actually CAN get in range, they work fairly well, but i've typically lost the majority of my health by then making my time in battle very short. I need some kind of in-depth discussion on how to use her so i can stop tearing what little hair i have left out.

• Cool 2

[FAE]
Members
2,121 posts
2,524 battles

Did you work through some amount of Bismarck games? That's extra teaching you should do. (Especially helps your torpedo tingly senses, knowing when ot use hydro, then going to tirpitz without)

2. I go full secondary build. and take patience with my aim. I get plenty of citadels. The guns have a special type of inaccuracy coupled with the guns being really far from center. (use the C key to zoom to each gun). They do not work like Gneis guns. Neither are they like any other BBs guns. Bismarck and Tirpitz have their own personal shell velocities and ballistics. You need to learn how to use them. And don't swallow that dumb "Bismarck and Germans are inaccurate" [edited]. Its utter [edited]. A good aimer gets great shots all the way out to about 18k. 

Its of course best to be within 11.7km, BUT to get there, you don't want to be charging in the open. Use the islands to duck in and out of cover. Then charge your prey when you can sneak up close. 

You need to fire torps at about 3km to have a chance of killing anything, not 6km. Warning, the torps get disabled a huge amount. Only recommended if you're in a 2v1 situation. If you are losing, focus on blapping cruisers until it becomes more even. Use secondaries and main guns on destroyers. 

While you actually can bow tank in Tirpitz, its not recommended: you lose 50% of your firepower, and your acceleration isn't good enough to keep you alive under heavy fire. I prefer to move, and i tend to get dreadnought nearly every game.

If youre a T8 in T10. You need to be the school bully: Beat things that are smaller than you. Go for the cruisers and DDs. Charge but again, try to keep your charge distance to like 4km of charging. Slowly get close. Shoot broadside BBs. Accept that some games are a steamroll not in your favor, and that charging would not have helped anything. 

• Cool 2

[ARRGG]
Members
4,674 posts
7,503 battles

Firstly , team play team play team play, buddy up with some Cruisers or BBs so you have less chance of getting focused fired which burns up your health

Tirpitz guns are fairly widely spaced so your shot pattern is going to be wide with less hits so I try to angle the ship when firing to get the tightest pattern possible 

I rarely camp just not a fun tactic for me,if I see an opportunity to get in close and brawl with another B.B. the Torps are a game changer

have the ship set up for secondary build  

....most importantly  going alone is not the best tactic for a BB in today’s light me on fire ... manage  you’re repair well

have fun

[HINON]
Members
8,838 posts
28 minutes ago, Drunken_Shooter said:

OP already mentioned watching them.  @OP you likely need more overall experience as your battle count is a bit low for T8+ gameplay. Try going up some other lines at lower tiers for a bit and work on good positioning and map awareness then try coming back to the Tirp.

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,782 posts
14,856 battles
11 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

@OP you likely need more overall experience as your battle count is a bit low for T8+ gameplay.

I didn't want to mention this, because it's OP's first post, and it's a really good one.

(Seriously, OP, it IS good. No whining, just 'this isn't working for me please help'. Wish all first posts were this good.)

My advice would be the same as @RipNuN2 gave you; play more!

And keep posting with your progress; inquiring minds want to know!

[HINON]
Members
8,838 posts
1 minute ago, Umikami said:

I didn't want to mention this, because it's OP's first post, and it's a really good one.

(Seriously, OP, it IS good. No whining, just 'this isn't working for me please help'. Wish all first posts were this good.)

My advice would be the same as @RipNuN2 gave you; play more!

And keep posting with your progress; inquiring minds want to know!

For sure, it bodes well for the OP that he wants to learn and improve. With practice I'm sure he'll succeed. Feel free OP to post and ask for other advice or even post replays of a battle you want feedback on. It can be very helpful to critique your own battles with replays and have others do the same to provide tailored advice.

[4HIM]
Members
1,705 posts
3,893 battles
1 hour ago, RipNuN2 said:

@OP you likely need more overall experience as your battle count is a bit low for T8+ gameplay. Try going up some other lines at lower tiers for a bit and work on good positioning and map awareness then try coming back to the Tirp.

I think I have even more battles and I KNOW I'm not ready for T8.  I did buy the Tirp during the sale during Thanksgiving.  Put a captain in it and sailed it in two battles.  I'll let it sit in port until I'm more ready to play it.  It was fun playing it and it earned me a good bit of credits.  But for me to go into a T8+ battle in one wouldn't be good for the rest of my team. 

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,268 posts

This will be unpopular but it works, at least for me. When I get a new ship, very first thing I do is take her to Coop. No flags, no module upgrades, no premium consumable. I allow for the standard (as I see it) camo, the one that gives the 3&4 combo. Go to coop, get pounded and pound bots with her. Learn how she handles FOR YOU. Check turret rotations, secondaries, every aspect of her. Just battle with her until you know exactly how long those rounds really take to reach the reds, how much punishment she can take, how much angling you can do yet still get her secondaries to engage the reds. Especially learn to use her torpedoes within the very limit of their range. 

Tip: When you are targeting bots they always seem able to dodge your torps... so, when you are targeting with your torps, just prior to dropping them in the water, deselect the target ship but drop them based on the prior target indication. It seems to better your odds against the bots - against people that trick only works with the main guns. In those situations, lock on the target so you know where to aim. Unlock the target until you are ready to fire. When ready to fire, lock target using X key, fire, unlock target. 

You do this so their priority target(ing) sensor blinks on-off, stays off for a few seconds then on-off again. They'll think someone targeted them but has no intention of firing on them. Most folks do not utilize the incoming fire alert - so this trick will help in every ship when you're firing your main guns.

If you can do ten games in coop like this, great. Twenty might be overkill, but ten generally gives you enough variety to see a pattern. What pattern are you looking for you ask? 

How she plays for YOU. When you figure out how you play her, you can then think about upgrades and commander skills. 

Having said all that I will say I find the Tirpitz, Bismarck and GK all do very, very well with the manual secondary build. There are other builds for her though... so don't feel you must play her in manual secondary mode. But with a flag (maybe two) and the proper skills the Tirpitz's secondaries will reach out a smidge short of 12 km. Think about that... 

I play her a tad assertively... she's capable of taking out just about any BB in the game with just a sprinkling of luck (rng) on your side. In just over 500 battles, I've maintained a 51% win rate in her, average damage 1089 and a destruction ratio of 1.66 per battle. Not spectacular number but for me, good. Fun. It's what the Tirpitz is all about. Fun. 

I hope this helps. 

• Cool 5

Alpha Tester
4,720 posts
2,408 battles
2 hours ago, Drunken_Shooter said:

This video helped me greatly 

and this video put the nail in 

Dammit, I was hoping no one had mentioned them yet.

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles
9 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Tip: When you are targeting bots they always seem able to dodge your torps... so, when you are targeting with your torps, just prior to dropping them in the water, deselect the target ship but drop them based on the prior target indication. It seems to better your odds against the bots - against people that trick only works with the main guns. In those situations, lock on the target so you know where to aim. Unlock the target until you are ready to fire. When ready to fire, lock target using X key, fire, unlock target. 

You do this so their priority target(ing) sensor blinks on-off, stays off for a few seconds then on-off again. They'll think someone targeted them but has no intention of firing on them. Most folks do not utilize the incoming fire alert - so this trick will help in every ship when you're firing your main guns.

I learned just a while ago that you could use that against destroyers as you know when the Priority indicator blinks off the DD has probably switched to torps.

It's an interesting other way you can use it for the main guns, I will attempt this method. Might get more frequent devastating strikes lol.:Smile_teethhappy:

[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Members, Supertester, WoWS Community Contributors
4,678 posts
15,175 battles
4 hours ago, HP_McDoogle said:

Send me a replay or two (email in signature) and I'd be happy to do a commentary video for you.

• Cool 2

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,268 posts
1 hour ago, Silver_kun said:

I learned just a while ago that you could use that against destroyers as you know when the Priority indicator blinks off the DD has probably switched to torps.

It's an interesting other way you can use it for the main guns, I will attempt this method. Might get more frequent devastating strikes lol.:Smile_teethhappy:

Additionally - if you have a target you have no intention of firing upon, it sometimes makes them turn into a better position for you TO fire upon them. Exploit it if you can... it's another trick in the bag... like firing one shot, looking for course correction (hard turn or slowing) then firing the remaining salvo. It can do wonders for your citadel counts. 

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles
1 minute ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Additionally - if you have a target you have no intention of firing upon, it sometimes makes them turn into a better position for you TO fire upon them. Exploit it if you can... it's another trick in the bag... like firing one shot, looking for course correction (hard turn or slowing) then firing the remaining salvo. It can do wonders for your citadel counts. 

I will attempt this too :p. I knew about course correction but unfortunately never use it frequently. I correct myself after firing an entire salvo Instead of one turret.:Smile_hiding: 

I often just wait beforehand and see whether he is committed to a certain movement and then fire, or try to grasp his movements for the next time I fire.

I will just have to keep in mind to only use one turret.

Members
11 posts
757 battles
4 hours ago, Lord_Zath said:

Send me a replay or two (email in signature) and I'd be happy to do a commentary video for you.

Thanks, i'll play a few battles today and i'll send some your way.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,268 posts

You also want to train yourself to glance back to the minimap every couple of seconds, so you are aware of your surroundings. Often when a target's position is less than ideal to your ship, you can turn one way or another and line up a better target. 

Members
11 posts
757 battles
6 hours ago, Drunken_Shooter said:

This video helped me greatly 

and this video put the nail in 

I had stated previously that i've watched both of those videos countless times, but i appreciate you linking them again.

Members
11 posts
757 battles
5 hours ago, RipNuN2 said:

For sure, it bodes well for the OP that he wants to learn and improve. With practice I'm sure he'll succeed. Feel free OP to post and ask for other advice or even post replays of a battle you want feedback on. It can be very helpful to critique your own battles with replays and have others do the same to provide tailored advice.

Thank you for the support. I'll make sure to post some replays from time to time and ask for advice on what i'm doing wrong and what to improve on. you all have been very helpful. I truly appreciate that.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
4,678 posts
15,175 battles
6 minutes ago, HP_McDoogle said:

Thanks, i'll play a few battles today and i'll send some your way.

Looking forward to it :)

Members
11 posts
757 battles
59 minutes ago, Lord_Zath said:

Looking forward to it :)

I've sent you two replays, starting off strong with the loss and incompetence. Looking forward to learning...

[-K-]
4,678 posts
15,175 battles

Got'em!  I'll review at least one before this week's patch comes out :).

[-K-]
4,678 posts
15,175 battles

OK you're #27 and 28....  I just released #22, and 23 should be released tonight.  So...  expect to see it in a couple days!  Need to tidy up some stuff as usual.  Briefly, because I'm sure you want feedback sooner rather than later, here's what I'd recommend:

1.  Run premium consumables, especially DCP and RP.

2.  Use catapult fighter if you're afraid of aircraft.

3.  Respec your captain to run PT, AR, SI, MFCSecondaries, AFT, MFAA (optional)/FP/CE (select your favorite there).

4.  Keep an eye on the minimap, stay with at least one teammate, communicate with them, and do your best to only engage two ships at a time.

5.  Communicate with the team (repeated a 2nd time because it's very important)!

You're frustrated, but I'm also not seeing a lot of serious mistakes, meaning you already have a lot of the basics down.  You should feel good about that :).

Feel free to send me more after watching 27 and 28 if you'd like more comments!!!

• Cool 1

Members
11 posts
757 battles
21 minutes ago, Lord_Zath said:

You're frustrated, but I'm also not seeing a lot of serious mistakes, meaning you already have a lot of the basics down.  You should feel good about that :).

Feel free to send me more after watching 27 and 28 if you'd like more comments!!!

That means a lot hearing that. It feels so much worse than it is apparently. I have a hard time seeing the positives when i'm down like that. I'll keep plugging away. If i have a particularly bad battle, i'll send you the replay and let you assess what i could do better. Thank you again. I really appreciate your input.

[EDIT]
could you by chance elaborate the abbreviations you've provided, i know a few but i'm unclear of things like AR, FP and CE.
I've looked at the skill tree and cant seem to match those ones up.

Edited by HP_McDoogle