You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AtlanticRim

US Cruiser Captain Build

19 comments in this topic

[VVV]
Members
339 posts
2,240 battles

Alright, so I really just want feedback on my build before I go and implement it. This is a build for just the general 6 - 10 US Cruisers but AA-spec'd. Here ya go:

• 1 Priority Target
  • 1 Preventative Maintenance
  • 2 Adrenaline Rush
  • 2 Expert Marksman
  • 3 Basic Firing Training
  • 3 Superintendent
  • 3 Demolition Expert
  • 4 Advanced Firing Training

(Could sub Superintendent and Preventative Maintenance for Concealment Expert if Concealment Expert is that good, but I'm already taking the concealment upgrade when available)

Alright so what do you think? What would you change?

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,720 posts
7,354 battles

I'd take DE and PM out and get CE instead. USN cruisers are fragile, and they're not long legged in the main gun area, and the reload for 7, 8, and 9 isn't exactly quick. You need to be able to run and hide.

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles

CE expert I think would be very good. Take it along with using the concealment module.

[VVV]
Members
339 posts
2,240 battles

So should I take out PT or PM. I'm thinking taking out PM because I do still use PT lots.

Thanks for your feedback so far. Going to take CE over DE.

(BTW Small edit, I changed a goof up in the first line.)

Edited by AtlanticRim

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles
Just now, AtlanticRim said:

So should I take out PT or PM. I'm thinking taking out PM because I do still use PM lots.

Thanks for your feedback so far. Going to take CE over DE.

Yeah you could take out PM and DE, keeping PT would nice.

[LEGIT]
Beta Testers
297 posts
15,745 battles

Get Expert Loader once you get Des Moines if you have  Steven Seagal Commander. That will allow you to swap shell types in ~ 1 sec.

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles
Just now, SoftAndCute said:

Get Expert Loader once you get Des Moines if you have  Steven Seagal Commander. That will allow you to swap shell types in ~ 1 sec.

That is really fast.:cap_happy:

[ASHIP]
Members
582 posts
5,196 battles

Specking a USN cruiser for an AA build is a rather debatable choice. It'll help you on cruisers such as the Pensacola, New Orleans and Balti, which have ok AA which could be made great with captain skills and AA consumables, but other ships in the line have such a strong reputation amongst the CV population that even in the rare cases when you get a CV in your match, they'll never come near you. Personally, I've always found it better to rely on my reputation and take other captain skills instead.

That said, if you are going for an AA build, I'd actually suggest taking vigilance instead of basic firing training, and then swapping out your hydro for the AA consumable. Having 8km+ panic spread effect can really ruin an enemy CV's day, and it works regardless of how many of your AA platforms get knocked out over the course of a battle.

Other than that, Concealment Expert is a must on any tier 7+ USN CAs, and IFHE is extremely powerful on the Cleveland, but not very useful on any of the higher tier CAs.

[LEGIT]
Beta Testers
297 posts
15,745 battles
1 minute ago, senseNOTmade said:

Specking a USN cruiser for an AA build is a rather debatable choice. It'll help you on cruisers such as the Pensacola, New Orleans and Balti, which have ok AA which could be made great with captain skills and AA consumables, but other ships in the line have such a strong reputation amongst the CV population that even in the rare cases when you get a CV in your match, they'll never come near you. Personally, I've always found it better to rely on my reputation and take other captain skills instead.

That said, if you are going for an AA build, I'd actually suggest taking vigilance instead of basic firing training, and then swapping out your hydro for the AA consumable. Having 8km+ panic spread effect can really ruin an enemy CV's day, and it works regardless of how many of your AA platforms get knocked out over the course of a battle.

Other than that, Concealment Expert is a must on any tier 7+ USN CAs, and IFHE is extremely powerful on the Cleveland, but not very useful on any of the higher tier CAs.

I agree with you on this. When I play CV, I try to avoid attacking AA spec cruisers

However, I generally use AA-spec cruisers (and even BB) on my team as AA platforms for my attack planes and fighter dogfights. Well positioned friendly AA ships are great assets for CV since their AA bubbles are buffs for his/her planes. In addition, USN cruisers' defensive AA can be quite useful for your friendly BB under air attacks.

If OP plans to spec his/her cruiser with AA, I would recommend div up with a CV.

[VVV]
Members
339 posts
2,240 battles
19 minutes ago, senseNOTmade said:

So this is actually interesting to me (Thanks @senseNOTmade ) . Vigilance could be a very useful skill for all situations, but BFT could be good too. My main question is would my AA be good enough even without BFT? Probably.

That said, I really want to see the crowd's opinion on using Vigilance instead of BFT.

Members
3,628 posts
13,419 battles

See if you can fit Last Stand in there. Cruiser's engines and steering get hit quite often making it a good 2 point investment. If you cant steer and/or move, you're screwed. I have it on all of my Cruiser Captains.

Members
1,123 posts
6,679 battles

Take vigilance over BFT.  Vigilance is useful in every game, while BFT is not.(you wont need it on a DM either)   Vigilance is good for when you hunt down DDs in your Radar equipped cruisers. 

Concealment expert is a must on any cruiser imo, but especially the US cruisers.  You are very fragile and i would add that US cruisers have pretty decent concealment, so maximizing it is a good idea.(getting your concealment near your radar range is very strong)

I wouldn't say EM is necessary either.  It is a skill you can live without in US cruisers. 

[ASHIP]
Members
582 posts
5,196 battles
9 minutes ago, AtlanticRim said:

So this is actually interesting to me.

So, to clarify:

The tradeoff as I see it is between taking BFT plus the hydro consumable, versus taking Vigilance plus the AA consumable.

In terms of AA, I think the second option is better, because although you lose that 20% AA buff from BFT, that buff is dwarfed by the 300% buff you get when activating the AA consumable. More importantly, you get the panic spread, which basically neutralizes enemy air attacks regardless of your AA strength and regardless of how many of your AA modules have been knocked out. The big downside to the second option is that the AA consumable is temporary and on a cooldown, and I did once lose a match because I activated it too early (then again, I would not have done any better with BFT in that situation).

In terms of pushing caps and DDs, the first option is superior, but only marginally. Hydro is a very good consumable; you'll spot torps further than with vigilance, and you can also use it to spot ships. That said, it is temporary like the AA consumable, which can get a bit hairy in a prolonged cap engagement versus DDs.

As a result, I have taken the second option on my DM, and am quite happy with it.

PS: You could of course go full AA; with BFT AND the AA consumable, but having no torp spotting capability whatsoever REALLY hampers your ship's role as a close cap support ship. I would NOT recommend this.

[VVV]
Members
339 posts
2,240 battles

Thanks for the clarification @senseNOTmade. I would definitely choose the second option. I would always take the AA consumable, and Vigilance would really help in game. Thanks for the help!

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
2 hours ago, AtlanticRim said:

Alright, so I really just want feedback on my build before I go and implement it. This is a build for just the general 6 - 10 US Cruisers but AA-spec'd. Here ya go:

• 1 Priority Target
  • 2 Adrenaline Rush
  • 2 Expert Marksman
  • 3 Superintendent
  • 3 Demolition Expert

(Could sub Superintendent and Preventative Maintenance for Concealment Expert if Concealment Expert is that good, but I'm already taking the concealment upgrade when available)

Keep in mind that the captain build is going to be different if you are speccing for a light vs heavy cruiser.

If a ship has 6" guns, it needs IFHE to be effective at tiers 8-10. At tiers 1-7 you can get away without it, but it still does help significantly nevertheless.

If a ship has 8" guns, it does NOT need IFHE. You can use the points to buff AA or get some secondary skills like Vigilance and etc.

Both light and heavy cruisers benefits from Preventative Maintenance, Expert Marksman, Adrenaline Rush, Superintendent, AFT. Everything else is secondary.

Edited by Ulthwey

[KP]
Members
1,995 posts
18,368 battles
4 hours ago, AtlanticRim said:

• 1 Priority Target
  • 2 Adrenaline Rush
  • 2 Expert Marksman
  • 3 Superintendent
  • 3 Demolition Expert

Concealment build all the way. Also you can't really do a tier 6 thru whatever build as the Cleveland is an entirely different set up. You should be taking IFHE 100% on the Cleveland. The 7-10 don't need it.

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles

Running BFT and AFT isn't really needed. AFT is good along with the range mod since USN AA tend to be a little short ranged and it's useful both against CVs and swatting pesky spotters that are messing with your island humping shenanigans.

CE is absolutely required for all USN CA. They all have good stealth and none of them respond well to gunfire.  You want to have the option to go dark and end an engagement.