You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
thatGcat

Bayern sucks?

17 comments in this topic

[EREKT]
Members
23 posts
934 battles

Hi all! Gcat again facing the dilemma of the Bayern. the t6 german tech tree battleship. one thing I've noticed after trying to run her into a few matches is that I can't seem to do anything. period. as soon as I get my ship moving I get molested by an undetected destroyer. I have yet to survive a full match in the Bayern. and I don't believe it's my fault. destroyers have always been annoying. yet I've played just 10 battles in my shiny new (admittedly stock module) ship and every single match has ended like the ones below with a metal fish fillet being served straight to my broadside before I've even done anything. I don't know I'm it actually doing anything wrong, but for now, if my battles keep progressing like this one, i'll have gone through 72 battles just to have enough experience to upgrade the HULL. see the replay below is an accurate summary of my first experiences with the Bayern so far.

(I got a permanent skin for her in my most recent loot crate and I'm 15 gold from activating it 0\_/0)

20171125_173851_PGSB106-Bayern_20_NE_two_brothers.wowsreplay

Edited by thatGcat

[-TXT-]
Members
334 posts
9,364 battles

Then you are doing it wrong. I will post a another replay of me Dodge torps like a Boss. Only issue with the Bayern is that the sigma is crap. Here is a old reply of me easily dodging torps. If I am online hit me up and I will toon with you in my bayern

Edited by warp103

[5D]
Members
2,222 posts
14,012 battles

If you don't believe it's your fault then it really is your fault. With that said, many stock hulls especially BB can be real challenging until you start unlocking the upgrades. However, there is plenty of damage that you can do in a stock hull if you angle correctly and make smart decisions. Also she is a brawler so trying to shot at 15 km or greater will result in low damage output.

• Cool 1

[EREKT]
Members
23 posts
934 battles

I think you misunderstand my problem. When playing in the Konig I had many great torpbeat moments similar to this one. the problem comes in before the torps are even dropped. I dont know how I escape the position where im showing those destroyers a full broadside, made even worse when the destroyers are basically stealthtorping.

[H-W-C]
Members
1,259 posts
3,306 battles

How to grind suffer through Bayern A hull:

1. equip Equal Speed Charlie London signals

2. equip whatever special signals and camos that you have that boosts xp gain

Your grind should quicken substantially and B hull improves your AA and Maneuverability dramatically, along with increasing your hp pool and firing range and just makes the ship much more enjoyable to play.

Will be back when I watch your replay

Edited by warpath_33
  • Cool 1

[MIA-I]
[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,713 posts
4,699 battles

After watching the replay, let me say this as a critique, and not to be mean spirited.  You need to work on your Situational Awareness.  Your ship is slow, I'd have opted to stay on the flank you started instead of taking a slow BB to the other side.  Also, since you're slow, moving along a 1/4th speed in the beginning isn't going to help all that much.  Now onto your torp problems.  Once those torps took out the mahan and the cruisers and you found yourself alone, looking into the kill list on the right would have let you know the Shinonome was in the area and that the enemy Kamikaze had gone down.  Turning north was a good idea, however from the positioning of the last torp spread seen going through the smoke you could extrapolate from that the Shino was on your port side as you were running back north. 

Turning back North East towards your spawn and the friendlies would have had you opening the distance and presenting a smaller target to the torp wall from the Shino on your flank.  Given the speed and other ships chasing you though, with only you to target however..  Well think it was only a matter of time until the shino or the other ships managed to bring you down however.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
33 posts
6,847 battles

You are looking around a lot and your gun rotation can't keep up so they are never on target. Hold down the right mouse button to look around, your guns will stay locked where you left them.  The Iron Duke that was burning you down was broadside 7km away and none of your guns could return fire. 

Members
1,550 posts
9,822 battles
1 hour ago, thatGcat said:

Hi all! Gcat again facing the dilemma of the Bayern. the t6 german tech tree battleship. one thing I've noticed after trying to run her into a few matches is that I can't seem to do anything. period. as soon as I get my ship moving I get molested by an undetected destroyer. I have yet to survive a full match in the Bayern. and I don't believe it's my fault. destroyers have always been annoying. yet I've played just 10 battles in my shiny new (admittedly stock module) ship and every single match has ended like the ones below with a metal fish fillet being served straight to my broadside before I've even done anything. I don't know I'm it actually doing anything wrong, but for now, if my battles keep progressing like this one, i'll have gone through 72 battles just to have enough experience to upgrade the HULL. see the replay below is an accurate summary of my first experiences with the Bayern so far.

First of all just step back, it's really a good ship and you are not bad at playing it. Some ships like Bayern and Queen Elizabeth are hard to master off the bat. I hated both of them at first but got to love them and kept both in my port.

You have to grind it out until you get all your hulls and modules upgraded. It then starts to shine. This ship has a style much like QE. It's a tough ship if you keep in angled.
Keep your nose angled to the other BBs (and cruisers)  if possible. With it's bow facing them, the enemy has a very hard time doing significant damage to Bayern. slow the ship down and fire with frontal guns only if needed. It works!
Regarding DDs. With an upgraded hull and engine you should have the speed and turning needed to deal with DDs better. Never go venturing out alone in Bayern. Always stay with a group. The lone Bayern is a prime target for DDs but they will think twice if there are other ships near by like cruisers.
Good luck and remember, even if you don't like this ship, the tier 7 is awesome so definitely worth the grind

Edited by STINKWEED_

Members
445 posts
2,076 battles

All battleships have extremely massive rudder shifts on hull A. The Bayern gets 5.5 secs off the rudder shift with hull B, which would definitely help you in dodging torpedoes. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,742 posts
7,373 battles
1 hour ago, vonKaiser said:

After watching the replay, let me say this as a critique, and not to be mean spirited.  You need to work on your Situational Awareness.  Your ship is slow, I'd have opted to stay on the flank you started instead of taking a slow BB to the other side.  Also, since you're slow, moving along a 1/4th speed in the beginning isn't going to help all that much.  Now onto your torp problems.  Once those torps took out the mahan and the cruisers and you found yourself alone, looking into the kill list on the right would have let you know the Shinonome was in the area and that the enemy Kamikaze had gone down.  Turning north was a good idea, however from the positioning of the last torp spread seen going through the smoke you could extrapolate from that the Shino was on your port side as you were running back north. 

Turning back North East towards your spawn and the friendlies would have had you opening the distance and presenting a smaller target to the torp wall from the Shino on your flank.  Given the speed and other ships chasing you though, with only you to target however..  Well think it was only a matter of time until the shino or the other ships managed to bring you down however.

This. As soon as I finished reading, I knew that you needed to work on your situational awareness. Pay attention to the mini map, to what ships are going down and what ships sank them. Use the right click to keep your guns stationary as you look at both the map and mini map.

Further, if you're having the issues you are repeatedly, as you say, then you need to stop pushing and stay back, sigma be damned. Bayern is a brawler, for sure, however, I've won two matches with my guns at 15km, sinking the last red ship. Obviously, that's me, but her guns aren't as bad as many think they are. Once you upgrade the hull, then she becomes a beast. Also, if you're having issues with her gunnery, then the next ship in the line is going to give you fits, because she has virtually the same guns, only two less of them than Bayern has, and she consistently fails to hit that barn over there with the bright neon sign that screams "HIT HERE!" that's 500 feet across.

Members
974 posts
1,871 battles
1 hour ago, thatGcat said:

When playing in the Konig I had many great torpbeat moments similar to this one. the problem comes in before the torps are even dropped. I dont know how I escape the position where im showing those destroyers a full broadside, made even worse when the destroyers are basically stealthtorping.

Well the Konig is a great ship for its tier and I had the same problem as you when I got mine until I got the B hull it is quite lack luster but nevertheless it get much better when you get it. as for the Das being a problem I always sail at a angle to the destroyer and never be the closest to the DD that is the CL/CAs and DD job

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles

I enjoyed my time with the Bayern a lot, but then that's just my opinion.

[PT8TO]
Members
277 posts
11,622 battles
4 hours ago, thatGcat said:

I don't know I'm it actually doing anything wrong

Do not overthinked about it if you do not know what you were doing,make it simple.

Just depend solely on your luck,like what i did.it's all about luck! Remember that.

Cheers:cap_tea:

Spoiler

shot-16_11.12_11_53.20-0516.thumb.jpg.880c0468e5f49421f8ae2b450c1b4b9a.jpgshot-16_11.12_10_15.21-0174.thumb.jpg.46d0e1d8eb0f4a13fb793b4d5fc69e76.jpg

Spoiler

shot-16_11.12_11_33.24-0728.thumb.jpg.569fbe59a6b22fe4f97ad6ee6784ce54.jpgshot-16_11.12_09_50.38-0520.thumb.jpg.2e04a98891b0e8abfe785c827df2fd7a.jpgshot-16_11.12_09_50.38-0520.thumb.jpg.9c8f8e1374238a8b414912ddf4b36bb8.jpg

Edited by Gizuke

Beta Testers
251 posts
1,395 battles

Heresy! No, but seriously... the Bayern is an amazing ship. Now with the stock hull, the Bayern is quite a bad ship, as you said you're experiencing, but that's just the grind for you. Just wait it out until you get that B Hull. The maneuverability you gain is massive, and on top of that your AA gets quite powerful, and that is because your DPM is all in the long ranged AA, meaning carriers are taking far more damage since they're in that AA range for a much longer time.

On top of this, the Bayern upgrades to 380mm guns, meaning you can basically bully other battleships, even certain tier seven ships, because you simply have stronger and more capable firepower over them. Not to mention the Bayern's amazing armor scheme, were bow in against other boats will basically turn you into a movable fortress.

The gun accuracy is kind of mediocre, but then again, it should feel no different to any other battleship. All you need to do is aim properly and see if the game rewards you or not. As someone else said, make sure you're constantly checking the minimap. It will help you get your guns on target at potential broadside targets and give you the best chances to come out of your games in a well off fashion. As a BB, the minimap is extremely important. To do well in a brawling ship like the Bayern, you need to put yourself into situations where your opponent is at a disadvantage. Basically, you wanna be a bully. I'm saying that again, because that's what you are in the Bayern. :Smile_honoring: 

I hope you'll come to enjoy the Bayern in time. It's a great boat once you figure out how to play it. If anything when I was learning the Bayern, I watched Flamu's review on it to get an idea on how best to utilize her, and I found a lot of success after watching how he played her. Because of that, I couldn't recommend it more!

[HCH]
Members
82 posts
7,483 battles

@thatGcat

Bayern is a normal battleship .... depressing one - the firing range is not large , but in principle each ship its own advantages - use them  , and their shortcomings - do not forget about them , do not go to the front ...

Members
4,145 posts

Honestly, as a BB main, I say wait to judge until you have all modules (this might mean playing a lot of coop to get here in some BBs before going back to random).

Personally, I didn't find success as much in the German line as, compared to the US line.  That has a lot to do with my playstyle as well.  I like the versatile ship which the US BBs bring.  German BBs, if you don't get in close, you're using them wrong.