You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Crucis

Kidd vs HSF Harekaze: Which one would you buy?

37 comments in this topic

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,268 battles

This thread is not a "which DD is better" thread.  It's more of this:  Which of these 2 premium DDs do you think is a better tier 8 premium DD?  In truth, the Harekaze would probably suit me better, given that I love playing stealthy ninja torpping DDs, and find the Kidd sadly under-armed in torpedoes. 

But still, if you could only buy one of these DD's, which one would you get and why?

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles

Harekaze, like you I would like her stealth playstyle.

Besides, it has the unique commander,(Thea, I presume?) From HSF and is a limited time ship (I think so)

What's not to love lol.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
18,903 posts
12,435 battles

Harekaze 100% of the way, but that's just because I can't stand the USN 127/38 arcs.

• Cool 2

[SALTY]
[SALTY]
Members
258 posts
4,619 battles

You Kidding me? Kidd all the way

hehe

• Cool 3

[LEGIT]
Beta Testers
297 posts
15,745 battles

I would pick Kidd because Harekaze is almost identical to her tech tree counterpart Kagero. Besides Kidd has heal, excellent AA and slow but stealthy torps. On the other hand, Harekaze and her captain are from collaboration between WG and High School Fleet, which will end in 2018 so they will no longer be available after that- so they can potentially become rare items.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,903 posts
12,435 battles
10 minutes ago, SoftAndCute said:

I would pick Kidd because Harekaze is almost identical to her tech tree counterpart Kagero.

Except for a choice of three different gun sets with three completely different playstyles.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,719 posts
7,354 battles

Kidd. She has RP, DF, and a much better gun range. That said, I have both, and while Harekaze offers multiple ways to play her, the gun range in the end is a deal breaker for me.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,220 posts
8,387 battles

The only thing that makes it close for me is the HSF captain you'd get with the Harekaze. Otherwise, boat to boat, the Kidd wins hands down for me.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,268 battles

I guess that you guys who love the Kidd must be into DD brawling a lot more than playing the stealthy ninja torp boat.  I dislike the fact that the Kidd has so few torp launchers, and yet I have still been tempted to buy her.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,268 battles

I've just bought the Harekaze, but am debating which hull (guns) :cap_rambo:  to use.  Any thoughts, people?  :Smile_hiding:

[LOS]
Members
556 posts
7,576 battles
28 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I've just bought the Harekaze, but am debating which hull (guns) :cap_rambo:  to use.  Any thoughts, people?  :Smile_hiding:

I use the 'B' hull (4-10) with the 100's...6 barrels of HE every 2.7 seconds.  Spec your Cpt. right and she can gunfight when she has to!

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,268 battles
2 minutes ago, Sinton said:

I use the 'B' hull (4-10) with the 100's...6 barrels of HE every 2.7 seconds.  Spec your Cpt. right and she can gunfight when she has to!

The thing is that I don't use ship specific captains in my premium ships.  I only use captains from other ships.  In the case of the Harekaze, I'm most likely to use my 19 point Shimmy captain.  Also for what it's worth, I played the Akizuki for a little while and it never clicked for me.  Too damned slow and unmaneuverable for a gunboat DD for my taste.  

And while I've been considering and am open to any of the three gun choices, I tend to be one who prefers staying stealthy and hunting my prey with torps when playing IJN DDs, though I will use my guns when I see an enemy ship aiming in the other direction and there are no other enemy ships nearby that are a threat to me.

• Cool 1

[LOS]
Members
556 posts
7,576 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

The thing is that I don't use ship specific captains in my premium ships.  I only use captains from other ships.  In the case of the Harekaze, I'm most likely to use my 19 point Shimmy captain.  Also for what it's worth, I played the Akizuki for a little while and it never clicked for me.  Too damned slow and unmaneuverable for a gunboat DD for my taste.  

And while I've been considering and am open to any of the three gun choices, I tend to be one who prefers staying stealthy and hunting my prey with torps when playing IJN DDs, though I will use my guns when I see an enemy ship aiming in the other direction and there are no other enemy ships nearby that are a threat to me.

Gotta agree with Crucis on this one.  Right now I'm using my tier 7  Akatsuki Cpt. in my Harekazi to help him level.  I use stealth as my main mode of attack and resort to a gunfight as opportunity presents.  Read Little White Mouse's review of Harekaze as she makes a strong argument for the quick revolving US 127 mm.  I tried them for 40 - 50 battles then picked up the jap. 100's.  They don't hit nearly as hard as the 127's but you can almost feel how rattled the other guy gets with 6 shells hitting every 2.7 sec...I like them enough to keep 'em.:cap_rambo:

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,268 battles
16 minutes ago, Sinton said:

Gotta agree with Crucis on this one.  Right now I'm using my tier 7  Akatsuki Cpt. in my Harekazi to help him level.  I use stealth as my main mode of attack and resort to a gunfight as opportunity presents.  Read Little White Mouse's review of Harekaze as she makes a strong argument for the quick revolving US 127 mm.  I tried them for 40 - 50 battles then picked up the jap. 100's.  They don't hit nearly as hard as the 127's but you can almost feel how rattled the other guy gets with 6 shells hitting every 2.7 sec...I like them enough to keep 'em.:cap_rambo:

I like using my 19 point Shimmy captain on my IJN DD's, so that I can build up more Elite Commander's XP.

[-I-]
Members
147 posts
2,642 battles

If you don't like using a special commander with IFHE and using the 100mm guns then you just spent $40 for a worse Kagero.

The 100mm guns are the only thing that makes it competetive, otherwise it is just an A hull Kagero with stock torpedoes at upgraded reload time (this is supposed to be changed though).

[FAE]
Members
2,116 posts
2,507 battles

Kidd is likely the #1 competitive DD pick at this point, but its very specialized: lots of gun damage, heal for long games and killing planes. Less torps. If you like torps and you don't care about racking up auto-click plane kills that require no skill or action, then Kidd is not for you. 

Harekaze barely breaks 50% winrate, and that's as a premium. The Akizuki hull is very recommended by a lot of people, and you get Kagero torp power + 3/4th an Akizuki. That's not bad. However, others very proficient in the USN DDs may find that these guns are excellent in close quarters, another style. Really, it makes you wonder why Kagero needs to be THIS BAD if Harekaze with its 2 extra gunpower hulls barely breaks 50%. Harekaze also comes with the better camo i think and it has the anime captain. 

Personally, I think Lo Yang is the better general choice, though its slightly nudged out by Kidd in competitive. I still prefer Lo Yang though. Shooting planes by control clicking is really boring. And I like dev striking with torps. 

Kidd is the most competitive, but niche. 

Harekaze is more versatile and suspected more fun. 

but Lo Yang is bae, and handles well even for new players. 

[GLF]
Members
767 posts
9,000 battles

Harekaze or Kidd...  

Why-Not-Both.jpg

I have both of them, both are fun for their own reasons.   Lately I've been enjoying kidd more than hari, but only because its newer.  

Buy Hari - if you want the akizuki with moar torpz.  

Buy Kidd - if you want to shred planes, and be a fletcher at T8... and shred planes too(WAY better than a benson could ever hope to)...  and farm dreadnaughts... and shred planes. 

Both are worth the price, because you don't have to dedicate a captain.  They're both good multi-role options, you just have to pick a playstyle. 

Edited by AnimaL21
  • Cool 1

[CDMX]
Members
94 posts
5,075 battles

I´m having the same doubt here ... but I am inclined to think that Harekaze is kinda better purchase, because:

- Kidd is more like Benson, but turns worse and has less torpedo fire power. As I like these two features in a ship ( so I like Benson and Sims ), that bothers me a little.

She has strengths, but, to be able to shot down planes and be the best in 1vs1 cap fights, sounds too situational to me. I mean, how many CV you gonna to face these days ? Why an average CV player will toss airplanes on your AA death trap ? And I don´t remember to face many lone DD on caps.

ahhh.. Almost forget the arcs...

- Harekaze sounds to be more user friendly. She can mount a lot of options, which sounds fun.

I fear the rudder shift. But Kidd´s is identical. The fragility is the trade off, otherwise she would be OP.

What do you think ? Help me.

Thank you.

Alpha Tester
937 posts
6,345 battles

Kidd is better buy for short term because it will go away before long, but Harekaze will be around for months from now.

A different perspective but one to consider if you don't want to go broke in a short time.

Members
1,504 posts
7,919 battles

Hey

Will the Harekaze and any other Japanese DD's take those weird 10pt ARP captains (pink bear comes to mind) that I have like 4 unused ones sitting in reserve?  Now that their voices are no longer working, I don't have to worry about how they sound.

Pete

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,796 battles

Having fought against both ( and quite often lately), I would much rather face a HSF Harekaze than a Kidd.

Members
1,754 posts
7,967 battles

Easy choice. Not the same choice for everybody but very easy choice because they are complete opposites.

Tons of good torps especially with TRB vs just 1 rack.

Short range lasers vs long range mortars

USN smoke vs no smoke if you take TRB

Heal + DF vs Invisible Ninja

My opinion is Kidd is higher impact and probably a higher win rate but Harekaze is the most fun you can have in a DD.

[LWA]
Members
40 posts
3,970 battles
14 hours ago, CaptainTeddybear said:

Easy choice. Not the same choice for everybody but very easy choice because they are complete opposites.

Tons of good torps especially with TRB vs just 1 rack.

Short range lasers vs long range mortars

USN smoke vs no smoke if you take TRB

Heal + DF vs Invisible Ninja

My opinion is Kidd is higher impact and probably a higher win rate but Harekaze is the most fun you can have in a DD.

Own both and would more or less say the same thing, but if I had to add something it would be that Kidd might be more consistent in the fun factor. You'll be less likely to get great games where you deal lots of damage in the Kidd than in the Harekaze, but you'll be able to consistently stay in play as the Kidd. 

Also being that one Kidd that bullies all the other lolibotes out of the playground i.e caps is fun.

Edited by Musouka