You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_ENO_

Torpedo launch indication- a little help please.

11 comments in this topic

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

Eh guys. 

I've been trying to get a handle on DDs and I'm roughly average. One of the things I'd heard about awhile ago but I'm not sure how to look for is a cue that target ships get when you switch from targeting them with guns, to torps, back to guns. 

Does your warning indicator change briefly (ie: priority target switches from 1 to 0 back to 1 again) or something like that? Is there some other type of subtle indicator that people watch for? 

Obviously I've been setting up torp runs, switching to torps... shooting and almost immediately guys are changing directions. Certainly a bit of this could just be AWSD, some could be random but...

As a BB main I have gotten in the habit of switching direction and speed but is there any other indication- I certainly haven't been watching for it and I'd be better off if I was. 

So- a little help on both fronts would be nice. 

1) How do you spoof people (if at all) with the torp launches and their warning indicators

2) When in a target ship (ie: bb or cruiser) what do you watch for on the target indicator that may suggest a torp launch? 

Thanks.

Members
2,092 posts
8,090 battles

When you have a target selected with torpedoes, it won't show on their Priority Target. If you have a isolated target selected with torps their PT will show "0" if nobody else is targeting them. Its useful for attacking people from unexpected directions with torps, because their PT is telling them that they aren't being targeted when they really are.

2.) Don't fire all your fish down the white indicator unless its clear that they aren't gonna pull a sudden turn or speed change. Fire your torps in more of a "wall" type pattern to saturate the area with as many fish as possible to maximize your chances of hitting a target, as to take into account possible turns and speed changes the target might try to pull in an effort to avoid. If a target is turning, wait a few seconds for their course to steady out and make predictions on where the target might turn to next, if at all. Try to invision yourself in the shoes of the target and ask what you would do in that situation.More often than not, people will follow the same thing you would do. Turn out to avoid hitting an island, etc.  

[HINON]
Supertester
18,934 posts
12,460 battles

If you have someone locked with guns then switch to torps, the game treats that as the target not being locked. So if he has priority target trained the number will go down one. I use that as an indicator that it might be time to WASD, especially if I've been targeted by more people than have been shooting at me prior to the number going down.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,934 posts
12,460 battles
7 hours ago, Bolo_MkXX_Tremendous_DMD said:

Moderated by Mezurashi.

But tell me how you really feel.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,856 battles
8 hours ago, ENO75 said:

Does your warning indicator change briefly (ie: priority target switches from 1 to 0 back to 1 again) or something like that? Is there some other type of subtle indicator that people watch for? 

What @Lert posted is exactly right; I now keep my torps active even while they reload so as to (possibly) fool BB drivers into NOT WASD'ing.

Moderated by Mezurashi.

I have been asking @Lert for advice since CBT; I have never regretted listening to his opinions. Choose whomever you do listen to carefully.

7 hours ago, Lert said:

But tell me how you really feel.

I feel that you are an instigator with a long list of priors.

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

Thanks guys- that's clearly what I've been missing. 

[HINON]
Supertester
18,934 posts
12,460 battles
31 minutes ago, Umikami said:

I feel that you are an instigator with a long list of priors.

Well, you're not wrong.

[YAN]
Members
1,636 posts
7,464 battles

Moderated by Mezurashi.

Wat.

Like, the advice on this topic, is literally what Lert said, but you say not to listen to him.

Do you us to take the advice or not?

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles
1 hour ago, Bolo_MkXX_Tremendous_DMD said:

Don't ever listen to Lert.  He is a condescending d-bag and is never giving advice in good faith.

There are good posts in DD specific forum though.  A lot of methods work and they have them listed there.

what do you expect from a cat?     :Smile-_tongue:

[PLPT]
Members
9,915 posts
10,308 battles

MY question is this... regarding something that was said about switching from guns to torps and that the target is no longer locked...
I am under the assumption that it is and I will say why...THe target locked Icon will still be on and the torp lead indicator only turns white when it is on... and as torps are still a " primary weapon"  why would it not count for a target with PT??
I am curious mostly because this is not the fist time this has been discussed and IIRC no one really ever gave definitive proof that PT does not actually count Torps specifically.... PT uses the target lock as a counter for ships that are targeting them...
SO I propose a test (I cannot because I still lack the software to make videos avail to upload to Youtube for all to see...
This way we can see if PT dioscounts a ship using Torps...
maybe its me but I never found any info on this specific issue and if the target lock ICON is what PT counts...
THanks...