You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
centarina

learning to become critical about your own play

22 comments in this topic

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

I was watching this video from business6 and   realized  I could do better in becoming more critical of my own play.     I've never though of my own play to this level and I have to admit hat lot of my replay is cringeworthy even when I do pretty well.   so I am starting to look at some of my own better games with critical eye for improving judgment.   anyway, I really enjoyed this video and wanted to share. 

• Cool 3

[ARRGG]
Members
4,676 posts
7,503 battles

For me there’s a line between playing really good and working to get better which means doing research and analyzing your play versus having fun .. I kinda lean to the having fun part and don’t worry much about win loose rates ... usually..  but I have my moments 

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

I think it is a still a good exercise to do it once in a while.  take the best game in a loss and see if you could have done better.         I do play mostly for  fun, but  i also want to improve as I find that fun as well. 

[BUNNY]
Members
43 posts
2,546 battles

When I've played a game, good or bad, I always try to identify at least one thing I did right and one thing I did wrong. The first is to acknowledge a good play/decision/tactic, have a feel-good moment, and then make a mental note to try it again in the future to see if it was a fluke or if it consistently works. The latter is to remind myself that even though this game has unpredictable matchmaking, there are always things that were my fault and that I need to fix if I'm to improve. I keep it to just one of each, though, because it's easy to over-analyze and try to do too much in an effort to get better as quick as possible. It just becomes work at that point.

So that's what I do. One good thing, one bad thing. If it stops being fun, or I start getting frustrated, I cut it short.

Because it's a game, and foremost, they should always be fun.

Good on you for trying to improve. Keep at it, and you'll succeed. Good hunting!

Edited by Zargblargs
  • Cool 1

[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
4,430 battles

I'm a highly competitive player so I like to win. I'm highly critical of how I play.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,748 posts
9,477 battles
7 minutes ago, IronWolfV said:

I'm a highly competitive player so I like to win. I'm highly critical of how I play.

Same. I often apologize to my team in chat when I play I made was a bad idea. 

[O7]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
10,668 posts
7,570 battles

I just play for fun, research and self criticism isn’t fun. I don’t need to know I made mistakes or could have done better. 

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles

I don't consider endlessly criticizing myself an enjoyable activity so I don't do that.

• Cool 1

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles
1 hour ago, IronWolfV said:

Really?

1 hour ago, 1nv4d3rZ1m said:

I just play for fun, research and self criticism isn’t fun. I don’t need to know I made mistakes or could have done better. 

you don't say.:cap_yes:

24 minutes ago, Elegant_Winter said:

I don't consider endlessly criticizing myself an enjoyable activity so I don't do that.

no one is forcing you.  :cap_old:

Members
2,410 posts
5,424 battles

I think everyone wants to play better and learn from their mistakes. Some of it may be easily solved while others are choices which did not quite work out in your favor.  After seeing a replay most will see the errors of their way but thats always true after the fact.  As I said before - its the degree in which you take yourself seriously.  

[TF57]
Members
1,241 posts
3,920 battles

No one likes to dwell on their mistakes.

However, ignoring them completely, ignoring trends in your stats and being unwilling to learn new tricks/tactics through Youtube vidoes etc is akin to playing a sport and never practicing....

....You might have fun, but you are unlikely to ever be competitive with top-tier players whose understandings of the game and proficiency are beyond yours.

But hey, you can always blame MM, RNG, bad/"weekend" teams etc of course. Which only you suffer from, naturally - these factors always benefit others. It's always something else; it's never you. 

As a bonus, you can then come vent on the forums about the unfairness of the game.

...Or if playing or learning is too tough, you can merely play "World of Forums" and spend your time mostly making posts rather than in battle.

[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
4,430 battles
2 hours ago, centarina said:

Really?

you don't say.:cap_yes:

no one is forcing you.  :cap_old:

b277d5e4b3997f1861cc64b53f1906564c8303d9

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles
2 hours ago, evilleMonkeigh said:

No one likes to dwell on their mistakes. However, ignoring them completely, ignoring trends in your stats and being unwilling to learn new tricks/tactics through Youtube vidoes etc is akin to playing a sport and never practicing. You might have fun, but you are unlikely to ever be competitive with top-tier players whose understandings of the game and proficiency are beyond yours.

But hey, you can always blame MM, RNG, bad/"weekend" teams etc of course. Which only you suffer from, naturally - these factors always benefit others. It's always something else; it's never you. As a bonus, you can then come vent on the forums about the unfairness of the game.

Or if playing or learning is too tough, you can merely play "World of Forums" and spend your time mostly making posts rather than in battle.

I'm a blue WoWs player but a super unicum WoF (World of Forums) player.

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
9,694 battles
17 minutes ago, Elegant_Winter said:

I'm a blue WoWs player but a super unicum WoF (World of Forums) player.

Only 14% of your posts are deemed worthy enough to be upvoted by the community.  That makes you a potato WoF player.  So the only thing you're super unicum in is your level of Dunning-Kruger.

• Cool 1

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles
1 minute ago, VGLance said:

Only 14% of your posts are deemed worthy enough to be upvoted by the community.  That makes you a potato WoF player.  So the only thing you're super unicum in is your level of Dunning-Kruger.

If we judge people by how average they are we won't get very far. I bet you believe in democracy too. Yuck.

Also, you have your squad of minions positive vote all your posts.

Edited by Elegant_Winter

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles

For me, a lot of the fun is in discovering the ideal balance of "just for fun-ness" and self-criticism. I mean, some days I really don't care at all about improvement. On those days I charge heedlessly into the enemy. Is that fun? Why, yes, it is. Sometimes that's how I feel so sometimes that's what I do. I am not a clock or machine that ticks at same rate and in the same way for the entire duration of my life.

I have various ideas and approaches I want to experiment with as well. Some of my ideas involve suicidal play, others involve extreme passivity. I like exploring different styles more than anything else. I learn a lot as I explore and experiment. Some days I will have red stats and others I'll have unicorn stats. I enjoy this path. I'm someone with many different interests. I like to experience the breadth of life in addition to the depth.

One of the most interesting thoughts I've heard over the last few years in regard to games like WoWs is that your stats should reflect your play and not your play the stats you desire. If someone wanted unicorn stats badly enough the path forward would be very straightforward: they would imitate those who already have unicorn stats.

That's not fun to me, though it took me a while to realize. It's not only not fun, but it's the opposite of fun. It's work. Tedious frickin' work.

That is precisely what I did when I played StarCraft. I imitated professional players. I eventually became a high masters player. It was stressful - and a little bit fun. Sometimes. It becomes more about other stuff at that point, not fun or enjoyment. It's a trade and investment. You trade fun and enjoyment for the prospect of status, superiority, and achievement.

This may be some kind of natural progression. You initially play for fun or enjoyment, then you improve, and the prospect of the status within the community becomes appealing - or the idea of being superior flatters you. Probably both. And so the trade is made - and the investment of self-worth is made too. The game ceases to be played for fun and begins to be a source of self-worth, satisfaction, and "flattery." That is to say, it just feels nice to be above the rest. It flatters you. And because it flatters you and feels nice you invest emotionally and psychologically in it.

"To play upon the vanity or susceptibilities of; cajole, wheedle, or beguile." Flattery. This is where it becomes tricky. What do that status and superiority mean? Is that status a reward that is deserved? How much truth is in that status and superiority?

From my view, it's hollow. It's status rewarded for nothing truly valuable, only the mastering of the mechanics of a game that ultimately helps no one and amounts to nothing. What is done that improves your life or the lives of others? What worth does this ability have when it's so inconsequential?

And what about the superiority? Does the mastering of the mechanics mean intelligence? Determination? Resourcefulness? Does it help create an inclination toward success that applies in all areas of life? My experience tells me it does not. Intelligence does help a person learn quicker. It's helpful but rarely required. Most games are not complex enough to require more of one's intelligence. It doesn't help that many of the skilled players I've encountered seem quite dull.

So, determination? Not necessarily. It requires interest more than determination. Interest in pretty much anything: ships, history, tactics, strategy, status, superiority, and so on. That interest supplies the motivation and that motivation is then turned into action proportionate to the amount of interest. It also determines how much one thinks about it. Someone who is more interested in a thing will think about it more and thus know and understand more about it. That is to say, those who are the most interested in a thing will often become the best at it.

Yes, natural ability plays a role. It's helpful but it's rarely required. Games don't demand that much. Resourcefulness helps as well. Knowing how and where to find the information one requires accelerates growth and brings the eventuality of mastery more quickly.

But what is beneath of all that? Interest. We just like some things and that's that. I think that determines success more anything else. It determines how far one is willing to go and how much he is willing to endure - in games at least.

So when someone achieves that status or superiority it's extraordinarily hollow. That's partly why no one ever seems satisfied with it. They know what they have does not have real value. And that's why they almost constantly need others to validate it. It's an insidious kind of insecurity that will eternally undermine that self-worth that's so invested. It's a lie and they have been swindled.

Just a few thoughts.

[-GPS-]
Members
2,524 posts
24,655 battles

I don’t watch my replays much but I almost always learn something when I do.

Since only can play CVs right now, I really need to watch some replays.

Identifying 1 good move and 1 mistake in each battle is a great idea. 

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
9,694 battles
1 hour ago, Elegant_Winter said:

If we judge people by how average they are we won't get very far. I bet you believe in democracy too. Yuck.

Also, you have your squad of minions positive vote all your posts.

False and False.  I believe in capitalism and a Republic, which is what the Founding Fathers knew thrives the most when society takes personal accountability.  Best said when Ben Franklin was asked what form of government it will be, he said, "A Republic... if you can keep it."

And wildly false on the second assumption because our clan as a percentage of the entire forum community is far too small to influence upvotes and contrary to your thought process that causes you to generate fantasy, we do not put any effort into upvoting our clan mates on the forums.  I cannot even remember the last time I've upvoted a clan mate. In fact I think the last person I upvoted was you about a month ago when you showed some promise of improving your interpersonal communication, which shortly after you receded back to your old ways.

But I don't think anyone at this point is surprised by your lack of perspective and awareness.  It is after all how you're wired.  I do hope some day for your sake they come up with a cure so you can live not just a normal life, but an exceptional one.  I really do.  I'm not being sarcastic.

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles
17 minutes ago, VGLance said:

False and False.  I believe in capitalism and a Republic, which is what the Founding Fathers knew thrives the most when society takes personal accountability.  Best said when Ben Franklin was asked what form of government it will be, he said, "A Republic... if you can keep it."

And wildly false on the second assumption because our clan as a percentage of the entire forum community is far too small to influence upvotes and contrary to your thought process that causes you to generate fantasy, we do not put any effort into upvoting our clan mates on the forums.  I cannot even remember the last time I've upvoted a clan mate. In fact I think the last person I upvoted was you about a month ago when you showed some promise of improving your interpersonal communication, which shortly after you receded back to your old ways.

But I don't think anyone at this point is surprised by your lack of perspective and awareness.  It is after all how you're wired.  I do hope some day for your sake they come up with a cure so you can live not just a normal life, but an exceptional one.  I really do.  I'm not being sarcastic.

The versions of freedom and capitalism they believed in were very, very different from what exists today. If they were here they wouldn't say what you expect.

You may not positive vote them but they positive vote you. I know because they often remark on it after the fact. And only 3 members of your clan would have to give you 5 positive votes a week for you to generate 60 positive votes a month. It's not something that requires extra effort, and it's something friends do naturally for one another.

If you knew me in real life or at least talked to me one-on-one you would see me very differently. You only see this side of me. The side that hates elitism.

Edited by Elegant_Winter

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
9,694 battles
3 minutes ago, Elegant_Winter said:

The versions of freedom and capitalism they believed in are very, very different from what exists today. If they were here they wouldn't say what you expect.

You may not positive vote them but they positive vote you. I know because they often remark on it after the fact. And only 3 members of your clan would have to give you 5 positive votes a week for you to generate 60 positive votes a month. It's not something that requires extra effort, and it's something friends do naturally for one another.

If you knew me in real life or at least talked to me one-on-one you would see me very differently. You only see this side of me. The side that hates elitism.

But I've only been in the clan for a few months, so your constant belief of this clan's influence on my upvotes is laughable.

That said, I do have to give you some credit.  You are 100% correct.  Our society has turned largely progressive, with a massive, corrupt and unsustainable government when the Founding Fathers believed in limited government because they knew what happens to civilizations that centralize power.  Progressives focus on wealth redistribution (which is just addressing the symptoms and not the root cause) when educated people who study both history and anthropology focus on power redistribution, because they understand human nature and that money follows power.  Which is why so many people fled to the US in the first place, to escape oppressive governments led by administrators who thought they knew how to take care of their people because the masses were not capable of taking care of themselves.

And I'd like to pop people in the mouth that blame capitalism for problems we face today because we've had very little free market capitalism as the government has their dirty hands in everything.  Which is why we've plummeted from the economic freedom index and with it our growth rate compared to places like Singapore, Hong Kong and New Zealand.