You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Kraayt

USS Kidd and CV game?

21 comments in this topic

[FSA]
Beta Testers
153 posts
5,018 battles

Many of you actually able to get an air defense game with the USS Kidd?   Every ship I have setup for air defense rarely sees a CV.

[FOXEH]
Members
3,320 posts
11,834 battles
27 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

Division with a CV.

12 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Pretty much :cap_like:

S2DP4pH.gif

Which is why I, a self-proclaimed DD main. have not bought her. There is less chance of finding me in a division than finding a CV in a game. I prefer the "lone wolf" play. Lo Yang gets the work done quite nicely at that tier. Sims trains captains flawlessly and can give CVs headaches, too.

It is just a preference. Nothing against the ship...

Edited by Khafni

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,724 posts
9,426 battles

The big problem is that CVs have a choice about avoiding ships that they don't want to fight, so ships that spec for AA often don't get to use it. 

[OPGS]
Members
608 posts
4,038 battles

Well you can always surprise CV players by disabling your AA and activate it when the planes get close or attack from within smoke while they are dropping on a ship nearby.

[SBS]
Members
2,394 posts
2,247 battles
51 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

The big problem is that CVs have a choice about avoiding ships that they don't want to fight, so ships that spec for AA often don't get to use it. 

I have not spec'ed my Atlanta for AA in the least, and I only run hydro.  Never has a CV tried to call my bluff.  You'd have to division with a CV regularly before you find someone dumb enough fly over a known AA monster.  It won't take long before everyone will know to avoid the Kidd.   

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,440 posts
6,631 battles

Once spotted, I avoid the Kidd, calling in a priority target to nuke ASAP. But it has to be spotted first.

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles
1 hour ago, HazardDrake said:

Yeah, you can't shred planes and help your teammates always but it still is a "threat" weapon.

Besides sometimes the reputation of a ship is Soo good that CVs don't even try, and you can get off without taking AA as the CV won't bother you at all.

Edited by Silver_kun

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,724 posts
9,426 battles
18 minutes ago, nuttybiscuit said:

Once spotted, I avoid the Kidd, calling in a priority target to nuke ASAP. But it has to be spotted first.

Pretty much. All you have to do is tell people that it has a heal like the Khabarovsk to get everyone to shoot it. Kidd doesn't have the speed or armor to take that kind of fire. 

Kidd's are best played by making themselves scarce early game. 

[SBS]
Members
2,394 posts
2,247 battles
21 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

Pretty much. All you have to do is tell people that it has a heal like the Khabarovsk to get everyone to shoot it. Kidd doesn't have the speed or armor to take that kind of fire. 

Kidd's are best played by making themselves scarce early game. 

You are probably right.  The problem is, who wants a DDs on their team that has to make itself scarce early game when you desperately need spotting??

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,724 posts
9,426 battles
9 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

You are probably right.  The problem is, who wants a DDs on their team that has to make itself scarce early game when you desperately need spotting??

RPF. Put it almost 90 degrees off your beam so you can quickly turn away and disengage if spotted. Exactly how you use it with IJN destroyers.

[FSA]
Beta Testers
153 posts
5,018 battles

Some thoughtful responses here.  Appreciate it.    I pretty much solo play, never division...don't even know a CV player.  My Atlanta and Fletcher had an AA setup at one time, extremely rare to use it.   I reset my Sims to a AA strength for Stuff & Giggles....had my best game ever in it and not a carrier in sight.   I like the idea of the Kidd, challenge of play and survivability, but not sure I can make it work with my style of play...I'm not real good on sitting back and waiting for the fight to come to me.

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,252 posts
7,648 battles
2 hours ago, HazardDrake said:

Hide out in a smoke screen/ disable your AA until the planes get closer, then when they enter 4km of so set off DF and kill all the planes. They can't steer clear of you if they don't know where you are.

[NUWES]
Members
1,630 posts
5,475 battles
33 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

Kidd shouldn't be making itself scarce. It needs to be pushing caps. That's why it has a heal and good AA. If Kidd is running away the operator is playing it wrong. 

• Cool 1

[NUWES]
Members
1,630 posts
5,475 battles
2 hours ago, HazardDrake said:

Why do people think this is a "problem?" I saw this same logic in a thread about DM a few months back. If the AA build keeps planes away from a valuable target or area it is working as intended.  I have my DM AA specced. Carriers approach until they see the AA opening up at 7k and they stay well away from ships under my AA envelope. IF they are going to keep out of a 14km bubble the entire match, that's fine with me. I prefer to eat their planes but providing a protection umbrella is almost as good. Carrier planes won't fly over my Kidd? I'll try to contain my tears while I complete the cap. The AA built means that they can't spot Kidd for zero risk. They have to sacrifice planes, or risk a DD to go in and spot, and that isn't easy against either Kidd due to the heal. 

• Cool 1

Members
542 posts
2,854 battles
3 hours ago, Khafni said:

Which is why I, a self-proclaimed DD main. have not bought her. There is less chance of finding me in a division than finding a CV in a game. I prefer the "lone wolf" play. Lo Yang gets the work done quite nicely at that tier. Sims trains captains flawlessly and can give CVs headaches, too.

It is just a preference. Nothing against the ship...

I bought her anyways. Even in a non-cv game, Kidd is still absolutely amazing at pushing caps and bullying other destroyers because of the Heal, smoke, and better speed.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,724 posts
9,426 battles
1 hour ago, Tzarevitch said:

Kidd shouldn't be making itself scarce. It needs to be pushing caps. That's why it has a heal and good AA. If Kidd is running away the operator is playing it wrong. 

At the beginning of a match it is EXTREMELY easy to focus a ship. If Kidd is focused at the start of a game it dies quickly before it finishes using the charge on its first heal.

[TF16B]
Members
8,034 posts
16,968 battles
1 hour ago, HazardDrake said:

At the beginning of a match it is EXTREMELY easy to focus a ship. If Kidd is focused at the start of a game it dies quickly before it finishes using the charge on its first heal.

Lately it seems the quality of ‘big-boy’ gunnery has gone way down... Every time I’ve listened to someone shouting (in chat) for me to cap, and done so against my better judgement, it has ended badly...

You heavies want a Kidd, or any other destroyer to be pushing a cap? Then by God you need to be using those big guns to kill things.

So many teams lately that sink 2-3 ships and get wiped out...

• Cool 1

[STP]
[STP]
Beta Testers
2,022 posts
11,121 battles

Any at-least-not-potato cv know kidd (and all usn dds now) have a stu**d AA, SO, get kidd, and dont kill planes, yay!