You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
aram535

Slashdot: Legislator take aim at in game (container-like) buys

18 comments in this topic

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles

Yeah, there's another thread following the same topic & making a comparison to WoWs , what could be the effect.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,722 posts
11,337 battles

Yes, it was shared by several people over the last few days. We will see if it changes WGs christmas plans or not.

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles
1 minute ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

Yes, it was shared by several people over the last few days. We will see if it changes WGs christmas plans or not.

I don't think so, as they claim and all the people I have read comments of, that bought the Santa crates claim that they always got things equal or above the value of what they paid, and that they were really happy with the items they obtained.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,722 posts
11,337 battles
1 minute ago, Silver_kun said:

I don't think so, as they claim and all the people I have read comments of, that bought the Santa crates claim that they always got things equal or above the value of what they paid, and that they were really happy with the items they obtained.

Hope so, I myself was happy with my santa crates.

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles
Just now, Kapitan_Wuff said:

Hope so, I myself was happy with my santa crates.

I see, I hope so too. I never bought any myself but the in videos I watched, they gave very nice items, doubloons, ships etc.

[INTEL]
Members
6,630 posts
25,345 battles

I had no complaints with the Santa crates last year.

[FOXEH]
Members
3,321 posts
11,859 battles

Santa crates got me enough dubs to buy both the Atlanta (on sale) and the Belfast. Who would complain?

[BROOK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,993 posts

Santa Crates always pay you back equal worth in virtual goods. It may just not be what you wanted, and that in itself doesn't count as gambling.

[BLHK]
Members
5 posts
6,612 battles

I think the point of the issue being discussed in the article is that kids are "gambling" with real money.  Gambling being defined as investing monies for an unknown outcome, good or bad.  Yes most of the time we're getting something better in value, but the problem is that that "something" is digital and only have value in-game.  The question becomes from a legal tenders points of view, are we giving money away and not getting anything in return, which means we're losing each and every time.   

Now I don't agree with the full premise of the above.  I think in-game value should matter, but it's a valid concern with kids under the legal limit -- which as the weekends show -- there are plenty of them in game.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,335 posts
9,433 battles

It's not gambling because you can't 'CASH IN'. 

Money spent is gone, and it ain't coming back as cash.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,180 posts
8,786 battles
1 hour ago, aram535 said:

I think the point of the issue being discussed in the article is that kids are "gambling" with real money.  Gambling being defined as investing monies for an unknown outcome, good or bad.  Yes most of the time we're getting something better in value, but the problem is that that "something" is digital and only have value in-game.  The question becomes from a legal tenders points of view, are we giving money away and not getting anything in return, which means we're losing each and every time.   

Now I don't agree with the full premise of the above.  I think in-game value should matter, but it's a valid concern with kids under the legal limit -- which as the weekends show -- there are plenty of them in game.

Where I see the very real problem is the pay for keys to open a drop box that will most likely have useless garbage. What WG will need to do is ensure that anything in their boxes would sell for at least what they cost and they should be fine.

1 minute ago, AVR_Project said:

It's not gambling because you can't 'CASH IN'. 

Money spent is gone, and it ain't coming back as cash.

It can still be gambling when the possible result is useless garbage and the good results are required to do well in the game.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,335 posts
9,433 battles
3 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Where I see the very real problem is the pay for keys to open a drop box that will most likely have useless garbage. What WG will need to do is ensure that anything in their boxes would sell for at least what they cost and they should be fine.

It can still be gambling when the possible result is useless garbage and the good results are required to do well in the game.

Buying a used car is gambling.  Buying electronics at a Flea Market is gambling.  Packs of trading cards, baseball cards, etc.    Whenever you make a monetary PROFIT when you sell it again it is taxable.  It's only taxable after you sell it and make a profit.  If you keep the car that was a great deal, no tax.

But we are not permitted to sell these accounts as per the EULA..  

Last year, I found the Santa crates were nation dependent.  I played nothing but Russian ships for a day, the next day, I pulled out the Gremmy and Imperator from crates.  Then played German the rest of the day... next day Prinz Eugan.

Then played Japan for a day, sold the Ishizuchi (had all the IJN), and landed three Ishizuchi  - three 10 point captains, that I sorely needed.

And the strangest thing yet...  Through it all...  I never pulled the Moletov.

[SWBH]
Members
271 posts
9,543 battles

i wasnt playing last christmas so im excited to see the christmas goodies.and yes ill spend my money to buy things from the premium shop every month i spend at least 50 dollars buying ships and premium time and plan to until i die or quit (have no plans to quit) this is my favorite game and the only one i play online.thank you WOWS for all the hours of fun.

[TURDS]
Members
552 posts
3,646 battles
On 11/25/2017 at 9:47 AM, AVR_Project said:

Buying a used car is gambling.  Buying electronics at a Flea Market is gambling.  Packs of trading cards, baseball cards, etc.    Whenever you make a monetary PROFIT when you sell it again it is taxable.  It's only taxable after you sell it and make a profit.  If you keep the car that was a great deal, no tax.

But we are not permitted to sell these accounts as per the EULA..  

Last year, I found the Santa crates were nation dependent.  I played nothing but Russian ships for a day, the next day, I pulled out the Gremmy and Imperator from crates.  Then played German the rest of the day... next day Prinz Eugan.

Then played Japan for a day, sold the Ishizuchi (had all the IJN), and landed three Ishizuchi  - three 10 point captains, that I sorely needed.

And the strangest thing yet...  Through it all...  I never pulled the Moletov.

On the used car reference: exactly. Online retailers like WG should be on alert about this, and so should used care dealerships. Hopefully this takes a while. But  I don't think Gremy is even going to be available this year.

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles

First off it greatly depends on the statutes of each individual jurisdiction. In some jurisdictions gambling is only gambling if money is the reward. In other jurisdictions it can be services, etc. It just depends on whether in-game rewards meets the legal definition of that particular jurisdiction. With it's loosest definition, then buying crates for a chance of a reward that is normally obtained thru the use of real money) would be considered gambling. To be safe, if I were a game-maker (not knowing the laws of every state/province/country that my game is sold), i'd make changes  to the way crates are purchased just in case.

Edited by FleetAdmiral_Assassin