Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Soshi_Sone

That moment when you check the mini-map...

23 comments in this topic

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,295 posts

Depends on where their main push is, if most of the enemy BBs are in A then don't worry so much

Beta Testers
705 posts
3,612 battles

Problem I run into is when my team does this the whole team is on the other side of the map and somehow my team fails to take the flag because they apparently can't beat 1-2 ships while one other ship and I are sitting trying to hold off the whole team on the other side of the map. Then we inevitably die and I watch my team get encircled.  WhatEvenAreFlanksGuys?

• Cool 6

[DRACS]
Members
3,339 posts

The above for me depends on how long into the match it is. Two minutes in, no problem. Ten minutes in, I worry. Fifteen minutes in and I suspect they let out the kids from special education school early. Although count your blessings all your DDs are actually trying to cap ... it's a beautiful and rare thing. Honestly, I consider the above among the better teams I get these days ;)

[SALT]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
3,660 posts
2,671 battles

Honestly, best way to win that map from that side is to push hard into B and hold it. You can use the island center to force them around that large island if they are behind it while still in cover and engage the enemy in A by using DD's to drop torp walls as they come out.

I've honestly won around 90% of my matches on that map using that tactic. Basically put, avoid C like plague from that side unless the enemy doesn't touch it and have one DD go grab it.

• Cool 1

[ZR]
WoWS Wiki Editor
551 posts
4,720 battles

That's a perfectly fine opening play...

Not seeing what's wrong with that from the minimap alone

• Cool 1

[TF57]
Members
1,236 posts
3,916 battles

Only thing wrong is too many ships unsupported to C. So only ~3 idiots actually.

A push to A then come back to B is perfectly viable, as long as the BB don't get addicted to the side lines.

Edited by evilleMonkeigh

[4HIM]
Members
1,699 posts
3,861 battles

Usually I see a group like that they're not circled up out in the open like that.  Normally it's a couple full health BB's and a couple cruisers hiding behind one island.  After my inevitable death, I type in chat "How's the weather behind that island?"  Once in a while one of them will peak out and actually take a shot at a red ship.  Usually about the time the score is 200-950 or so. 

[KNTAI]
Members
1,083 posts
5,943 battles
1 hour ago, Azumazi said:

Honestly, best way to win that map from that side is to push hard into B and hold it. You can use the island center to force them around that large island if they are behind it while still in cover and engage the enemy in A by using DD's to drop torp walls as they come out.

I've honestly won around 90% of my matches on that map using that tactic. Basically put, avoid C like plague from that side unless the enemy doesn't touch it and have one DD go grab it.

Copied, pasted and saved.

Ran out of upvotes, so :Smile_medal:

Beta Testers
715 posts
3,660 battles

LOL It's either a Conga Train(maybe dancing to torpedobeats) or some human ship-centipede.. Did chat light up with "so&so caused dmg to so&so" a few times?

No no no - It's one of those bugs that curl up as a defensive measure - a Woodlouse.

pill-bug_AdobeStock_40231780-e1486656665595.thumb.jpeg.4ab7d46b8fdf9570816e2d122dfaa827.jpeg

**Edit: I assume you're talking about their blob-o-ships and not tactics like everyone else? It's what I thought when I first saw the pic - ship mating season(or the above bug lol). If it IS tactics then....:Smile_hiding:

Edited by Zyu

[WOLF2]
Members
860 posts
6,976 battles

See that scenario nearly every time.   And if I'm in your position, I'm full steam to C to support my DD and then head to B.

And the first team to reach A usually gets stuck there the whole match.    A is the trap.   Aptly named.

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles

Atleast like others mentioned your DDs are all capping, It's a good start. Later on if they don't spread out only then it is a problem.

[R-R-R]
Members
969 posts
6,397 battles

What is wrong? 

Just from the minimap, your team has pretty good position.

DDs in every cap. BBs can push A/B and can also defend one flank.

Members
2,274 posts
7,307 battles

I dont see anything wrong, hard commit to a side of the map is a viable tactic. 

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

5DD team and you get situation like this.  frankly  if the team went straight to A then push to b, it can work  ok anyway.     

[STW]
Members
96 posts
9,335 battles
5 hours ago, Soshi_Sone said:

....and wonder if you should laugh or cry.

mome.jpg.a79a601e619b80c54e8ad1559fd65868.jpg

Yeah, the main problem here is that all the Battleships are in one place.

It's bad enough when BBs lemming train to the same side of the map.   But in this case, they're all in the exact same grid-space :Smile_facepalm:The only thing worse would be if all the Destroyers on a team lemming trained to one grid-space.

Basically, this is bad positioning collectively by the Battleship players who are supposed to lock down the flanks by providing deterrent threats - even if these players have bad aim, their mere presence would prevent cruisers from steamrolling through C, then grabbing B.  Your team has no cross-fire potential which means the enemy BBs have enormous freedom across the map because they only need to angle to one point on the map - there's like 5 degrees of separation between all 3 BBs (with the middle of B-cap as the point of origin! :Smile_teethhappy:) .  And enemy BB freedom equates to enemy Cruiser freedom, which equates to enemy DD freedom.  Essentially, your team's territorial control is very fragile.  This makes the enemy's job of reconnaissance a lot easier too; if they detect one of your BBs, they've detected them all and your team's lost the element of uncertainty where the red team wouldn't know where pushing would end in a BB salvo.  If a balanced, competent red force or red division is at C, you've lost both C and B at a stroke, as well as at least 1 Destroyer (definitely the DD between B and C).

There's no flank in this setup - only a front and rear.  There's no BB guarding the other side, and that side will inevitably collapse unless the other team is incompetent.

(there are games where there's not a single competent BB player, so... :Smile-_tongue:)

Edited by Jerych

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles

From the progress on the caps and the fact that all 12 friendly ships are still alive, i'd say it was very early in the match. Most of the enemy team is on the way to A (but their BBs are likely still far from it). The green BBs are all trying to hide in the shadow of the island and as such won't be able to even see the enemy coming until the entire enemy force arrives at A (and by then it will be too late to turn them back or escape). Green will lose this match (in my opinion).

Green won't be able to hold A with the BBs clustered so far away (and the cruiser with them is doing what exactly?? Besides not supporting the capping (there is no CV so anti-air is ruled out)), and red will likely take either B or C (too soon to tell if they take both). Best case scenario (from this early of a prediction mind you), is red ends up with 2 flags, green ends up with 1 (maybe and it will likely be C if at all). 

That puts green behind the 8 ball. Assuming green loses some DDs in the process, while red will be ahead on points and caps with Green pinned in lower corner of map unable to cap again.

Well that's my prediction, so what really happened? Do you remember?

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,788 posts

"Lemming train" is a stupid term because achieving local superiority is a great tactic.  The problem is not that the battleships went one way.  The problem is what they do once they get there.

Unfortunately, you can tell already from this pic that those battleships will come to a stop, hiding behind those islands, and not push aggressively into the cap as they should, where they could easily obliterate the enemy in that spot.

So they will turn a likely easy victory (unless the enemy did exactly the same thing) into a slow, painful, stupid defeat.  The reluctance of those battleships to scratch their paint will be the death of them.

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
583 posts
9,213 battles

Team lineups (both sides) would go a long way, as those 3 BB's could be CO's for all I know.  They are not exactly the fastest of ships.  In any event, B and C has Reds in em, as they are partially capped, while A is more or less under control and doesn't appear to be at all contested.

But if Op's team comp is an indication, then I can't blame them.  As a BB in that match, I wouldn't be super aggressive, not when I'm possibly staring at a "Great Wall of Torpedoes".  If I were to have a gripe, it would be that the BB's are too close together.

[WOLF3]
Members
5,881 posts
2,193 battles
9 hours ago, Soshi_Sone said:

I dunno.  Looks pretty normal to me.

Besides, I'm all cried out.

[TF16B]
Members
8,038 posts
16,968 battles
10 hours ago, Soshi_Sone said:

I wonder if that’s me up in C... Looks like a game last night where the team all lemminged to A, and mostly died there...

Sign in to follow this