Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
MrKillmister

Ognevoi to Udaloi to Grozovoi

16 comments in this topic

Members
3,294 posts
7,966 battles

I have Ognevoi fully upgraded with an 18 pt - nearly 19 pt - captain and I love this boat. I could get Udaloi fully upgraded this minute - if I wanted to. Grozovoi is a meh boat that doesn't interest me in it's current state.  

What's the great or compelling thing about Udaloi that might make me want this DD?  Thoughts? TIA

BTW, I also have Khab, Fletcher, Gearing and Z-52. 

[WOLF7]
Members
125 posts
3,120 battles

Udaloi is more of a gun boat. Torps are only 8km, but u have 15 of them, but not all at the same side. Ur best concealment Will be 7,2km. Ur range Will be 14,5km with aft. AA Spec can be usefull sometimes. I,m doing ok with it. Not great, i enjoyed the Ognevoi better.

[ARRGG]
Members
157 posts
6,923 battles

I find the Z46 to be better than a Udaloi. It has faster torpedo reload and range and a smaller detection range of 6.1 km vs 6.8 km. The Z46 has better AA too, which is good. Because at this level you do not need to have a fighter plane following you. That is a better deal IMO.

The Ognevoy, I like at T6 but not at T8 at first, now i like it again after it has been nerfed.

Edited by Timo_Greenwold

Members
3,294 posts
7,966 battles

IMO, Ognevoi is the most underrated T8 DD in the game.  I'm a Fletcher lover and I'm not even afraid to take those on.  My average Ognevoi damage is just shy of my average damage with Fletcher and my Ognevoi WR is better that my WRs with Khab, Z-52, Z-46, Gearing, Fletcher, etc.   It's a mystery to why Ognevoi stats on Warships Today are dead last for T8 DDs.  My WR, averages, etc are miles ahead of the NA stats for Ognevoi.  In fact, my WR and averages are well above those for all other T8 DDs in the game. 

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,276 battles
On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 5:56 AM, demeflac said:

Udaloi is more of a gun boat. Torps are only 8km, but u have 15 of them, but not all at the same side. Ur best concealment Will be 7,2km. Ur range Will be 14,5km with aft. AA Spec can be usefull sometimes. I,m doing ok with it. Not great, i enjoyed the Ognevoi better.

Part of me wishes that the Udaloi was more of a torp boat, with better concealment and 10 km torps like the Ognevoi and Grozovoi.

I can do OK in the Udaloi, but my overall damage seems very RNG dependent, insofar as it requires friendly fire rolls.  If I start plenty of fires, I can have a really good game.  If not, not so much.  It'd be nice if the Udaloi had the capacity to get more value out of its torps.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,276 battles
On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 6:12 AM, Patosentado said:

I was so dissapointed with the Udaloi I went for the other branch. Kiev is really nice.

The Udaloi is a nice gunboat DD, but it can seem difficult to get serious damage with it, and I'm not entirely sure why.  It does seem to get a pretty fair number of shatters, so maybe it needs IFHE.  And it's rather dependent on fires to farm damage as well, so that means it's dependent on RNG.  Occasionally, you can get lucky with her torps, but her torps are a bit short ranged and to  really use them well, you need CE, which costs you 4 skill points which detract from its guns, which  are really its bread and butter.

Honestly, the Udaloi, as currently designed, seems like a bad fit in its line between the Ognevoi and Grozovoi.  This isn't to say that it's a bad boat.  Just doesn't feel like it belongs between the tier 8 and 10 on its line.

[-K-]
Members
575 posts
9,175 battles
On 12/15/2017 at 7:23 PM, Crucis said:

The Udaloi is a nice gunboat DD, but it can seem difficult to get serious damage with it, and I'm not entirely sure why.  It does seem to get a pretty fair number of shatters, so maybe it needs IFHE.  And it's rather dependent on fires to farm damage as well, so that means it's dependent on RNG.  Occasionally, you can get lucky with her torps, but her torps are a bit short ranged and to  really use them well, you need CE, which costs you 4 skill points which detract from its guns, which  are really its bread and butter.

Honestly, the Udaloi, as currently designed, seems like a bad fit in its line between the Ognevoi and Grozovoi.  This isn't to say that it's a bad boat.  Just doesn't feel like it belongs between the tier 8 and 10 on its line.

The seeming discontinuity from Og to Groz might be due to both concealment and torpedoes.

Conceal goes 6.1 > 7.2 > 6.0.

Torps go 10km > 8km > 10km.

Udaloi is a very good ship, but plays more like the rest of the Soviet line than its tier VIII and X neighbors which are both oddballs (or more accurately not oddballs, i.e. they are closer to "normal" destroyers).

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,276 battles
51 minutes ago, wadavid said:

The seeming discontinuity from Og to Groz might be due to both concealment and torpedoes.

Conceal goes 6.1 > 7.2 > 6.0.

Torps go 10km > 8km > 10km.

Udaloi is a very good ship, but plays more like the rest of the Soviet line than its tier VIII and X neighbors which are both oddballs (or more accurately not oddballs, i.e. they are closer to "normal" destroyers).

Agreed, though I'd say that the Ognevoi and Grozovoi are oddballs relative to their line, but yes, they're closer to being "normal" DDs in other lines, though the Groz  really could stand to have its torps get some form of buff.  Say either a damage buff or a reload buff.  As they stand now, you get the worst of both worlds, slow reloading torps with low damage for their tier.  If one of those factors could be enhanced, the Groz would be a better torp boat.

[5IN]
Members
1,784 posts
8,105 battles

Udaloi is great, and a keeper for me.  Grozovoi is just ok... I don't play it much but have had some great games in it.  I keep it only to collect the T10s, but thats about it.  

I didnt think about it until after I posted, but they aren't unlike Fletcher to Gearing.  Udaloi and Fletcher are great ships, but Grozovoi and Gearing are just ok...imho.

B

Edited by bassmasta76

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,276 battles
5 hours ago, bassmasta76 said:

Udaloi is great, and a keeper for me.  Grozovoi is just ok... I don't play it much but have had some great games in it.  I keep it only to collect the T10s, but thats about it.  

I didnt think about it until after I posted, but they aren't unlike Fletcher to Gearing.  Udaloi and Fletcher are great ships, but Grozovoi and Gearing are just ok...imho.

B

I'm not so impressed with the Udaloi, though perhaps I don't know how to get the most out of her.  It doesn't seem to start fires as easily as the Khab.  And with only 8 km range torps, it's not that great a torpedo boat.  On top of that, it's a demanding boat in terms of captain skills.  I haven't had my Grozovoi for long and have less than 5 battles in it.  But I will say this.  The Khab can be very fun to play, and yet at the same time, it almost seems like easy mode for Russian gunboat DDs.  OTOH, the Grozovoi is more challenging and requires better use of tactics to succeed, rather than just running around at max speed and occasionally hitting the speed boost, while constantly pew-pew-pewing the enemy.

I definitely use my Khab when there's some task in a campaign or some mission where the Khab's special abilities will help get the task done more quickly.  But in a lot of ways, it seems almost too easy.

Members
3 posts
592 battles

Hi all,

I've just picked up the Udaloi and hope for some feedback on captain skills/builds etc.

FYI, all modules are upgraded.

I'm running a full daylight gunboat build:  PM, PT, AR, LS, DE, SE, BFT, AFT and MAM1, PM1, AAM2, PM2, SGM3, MGM3.

CVs aren't common, so I also run speed boost consumable most of the time. 

Is a CE build viable for this boat?  Or are there any other suggestions to discuss?

Thanks, everyone.

[-GPS-]
Members
2,521 posts
24,580 battles
On 1/31/2018 at 6:00 AM, 4S3R2R said:

Hi all,

I've just picked up the Udaloi and hope for some feedback on captain skills/builds etc.

FYI, all modules are upgraded.

I'm running a full daylight gunboat build:  PM, PT, AR, LS, DE, SE, BFT, AFT and MAM1, PM1, AAM2, PM2, SGM3, MGM3.

CVs aren't common, so I also run speed boost consumable most of the time. 

Is a CE build viable for this boat?  Or are there any other suggestions to discuss?

Thanks, everyone.

Your captain skills are right on the money. I do take the concealment upgrade. I usually run Defensive AA only when div’d up with a CV, especially since I have the special Engine Boost upgrade to make the boost last 3 minutes. 

Udaloi is a gunboat. It should be where the Tashkent is with a stealthier, torp type DD in its place. 

Udaloi also is one of the most fun ships to play in the game! I do wish that it had 10 km torps to give it a 2 km stealth torp window, but then I wish Khab still had 10 km torps too...

Edited by Landing_Skipper

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles
On 11/25/2017 at 6:55 AM, MountainManxDan said:

Udaloi is my favorite ship... and I can't tell you why.
Just play it

I like it better than khab.    its agility,  firepower and just all around fun.   i do run it as pure gunship.   

Sign in to follow this