You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Peregrinas

A flaw with the smoke detection changes

15 comments in this topic

[SF-3]
Members
3,177 posts
8,169 battles

With the changes allowing us to see ships firing out of smoke if you are within a certain distance, which is the intended result, a side-effect is that you can see out of smoke if you are within a certain distance of a ship that has fired its guns.

I'm not sure if this is intended, especially in scenarios where a DD smokes up and it is the only enemy ship capable of spotting you, but because you fired your guns, that smoked-up DD is now spotting you for the entire enemy team. My RN CLs have met quite a few demises because a smoked up DD that is within 6km or so of my smoke is spotting me after it smoked up to hide from my team's DDs and/or me, as in the case at the beginning of many games where I push up in an aggressively defensive position near a cap.

I really don't think that this mechanic should work both ways to allow a smoked up ships to spot ships in this way.

Edit: why not make it so that if you are in a smoke cloud, you alone can't spot ships within other smoke clouds without hydro or radar. I just don't think a DD should be able to smoke up and hide itself while continuing to spot the enemy.

Edited by Peregrinas

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,155 posts
3,867 battles

This is 100% intended to keep ships from firing from behind smoke to get around the mechanic.

Legitimate tactic and intentional game mechanic.

Deal with it.

Edited by AraAragami
  • Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Members
439 posts
18,160 battles

The new mechanic is a compromise. They gamed it the way you are proposing. Unfortunately in that instance, people could sit BEHIND but not IN smoke and be completely shielded since the tested smoke was completely opaque. That meant that BB's could now take advantage of the mechanic and still stealth fire from behind smoke instead of being limited to their intended visible smoke firing range. 

[HINON]
Supertester
18,903 posts
12,441 battles
6 minutes ago, Peregrinas said:

I'm not sure if this is intended

It is.

[SF-3]
Members
3,177 posts
8,169 battles

I understand that people would be able to sit behind smoke, but that still leaves them open to being detected by aircraft, no?

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,155 posts
3,867 battles

Aircraft wasn't a good enough solution to WG. So smoke's mechanic is a two-way street.

Get used to it. Adapt. Like you keep telling destroyer players to do.

• Cool 1

[SF-3]
Members
3,177 posts
8,169 battles
9 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

Like you keep telling destroyer players to do.

Since when has the RN CL community been repeatedly telling DD players to adapt?

I think a good way to fix this problem is to make it so that if you're in a smoke cloud, you can't spot other ships within other smoke clouds even if you are within their smoke detection range just based on the smoke detection alone. This "free spotting" seems broken.

Members
810 posts
7,108 battles
51 minutes ago, Peregrinas said:

Since when has the RN CL community been repeatedly telling DD players to adapt?

I think a good way to fix this problem is to make it so that if you're in a smoke cloud, you can't spot other ships within other smoke clouds even if you are within their smoke detection range just based on the smoke detection alone. This "free spotting" seems broken.

It's not free unless you don't fire back if you're actually close enough for that to happen in game. Your team will be able to see that ship but he won't be able to see you... as long as you don't return fire. 

I think the new smoke mechanic is great. If you play around with it you get free hydro once in a while. Same goes for the other guy but you have to turn the new mechanic to your advantage when you get the opportunity. 

[LOU1]
Members
2,854 posts
7,987 battles

So, if I am in smoke with no one spotting for me and an enemy fires outside of the cloud within his smoke detection range, I will see him?  Never noticed this was happening...

[WOLF5]
Members
439 posts
18,160 battles
31 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

So, if I am in smoke with no one spotting for me and an enemy fires outside of the cloud within his smoke detection range, I will see him?  Never noticed this was happening...

Yep, but only main guns. Secondaries and torps don't count. 

[BLOME]
Members
945 posts
6,397 battles

The DD inside its own smoke is not spotting you. It is just sitting within your fire detection range "from your smoke".

It is called a smoke "nerf" for a reason.

[SYN]
Members
14,363 posts
10,224 battles

Just don't fire your guns for 20s, problem solved (assuming there isn't another ship spotting you from the sides)

Members
27 posts
6,519 battles

If You play smoke cruiser and get spotted in your smoke, You are in very deep doo doo. That's the new reality bud.

It is what it is.

And with Pan-Asia missions, there is a crapload dds in games. Perfect time to adopt and overcome.