You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
STINKWEED_

Spam, Spam, and more Spam. The reason I hate playing high tier battles

118 comments in this topic

Members
1,547 posts
9,804 battles

It's no surprise that high BBs camp in the back along with many CAs in high tier battles.
These battles have gotten so ridiculous. The name of the game is Spam, Spam, and Spam.

Typical battle:   3-4 areas of smoke hiding most ships. 
Spamming HE DDs   (like Fletchers)
Spamming torps  (torp soup)
Spamming planes  (CVs)
Spamming cruisers - shooting HE from smoke

The end result is that we have extremely lame battles with players afraid to engage and be spotted.  

There's nothing fun about these tiers. Bigger ships, guns that rain HE, DDs that can shoot 15 torps at a time....   
This has to be the only game out there where the high tiers are less enjoyable and the players typically less skilled. Too bad WG decide higher tier meant more of everything. 

BTW  if you want to use this opportunity to insult me, this is how I feel about it. Knock yourself out.

Edited by STINKWEED_
  • Cool 5

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles

The meta is currently like that :p. I am not fond of it either but I like my FDG and will probably play GK perpetually, so will have to get used to it for now.

4 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Too bad WG decide higher tier meant more of everything. 

I find high tier fun for that reason but I prefer mid-tier and playing my Gniesenau due to the current meta.

Members
1,547 posts
9,804 battles
6 minutes ago, Silver_kun said:

The meta is currently like that :p. I am not fond of it either but I like my FDG and will probably play GK perpetually, so will have to get used to it for now.

I find high tier fun for that reason but I prefer mid-tier and playing my Gniesenau due to the current meta.

I have a GK and stopped playing it. I got tired of AP and HE CA spam from ships like Minotaur. It's insane. With such large Bbs in tier 10   try to escape thousands of shells landing on you non stop, and nothing you can do because they are sitting in smoke partly behind an island. 

Edited by STINKWEED_

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles
3 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

I have a GK and stopped playing it. I got tired of AP and HE CA spam from ships like Minotaur. It's insane. With such large Bbs in tier 10   try to escape thousands of shells landing on you non stop, and nothing you can do because they are sitting in smoke partly behind an island. 

Well I guess I will play mid tier more if I can't enjoy high tier anymore once I get GK.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,283 battles
6 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

For crying out loud.  You're tired of cruisers shooting BOTH AP and HE  at you????  What do you WANT them to shoot at you?  Marshmallows? Flowers???

I will agree with you about the hiding behind smoke and islands though.  But until that's changed (if ever), that's just cruiser players playing smart!  They'll do the same thing at lower tiers if given half a chance.  You don't think that Belfasts and Fijis and Flints don't do the same thing (hiding in smoke)?  or for that matter, any other cruiser that comes into share their smoke?  Heaven forbid you run across a division with a Flint and a pair of Atlantas.

• Cool 9

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,283 battles
24 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

It's no surprise that high BBs camp in the back along with many CAs in high tier battles.
These battles have gotten so ridiculous. The name of the game is Spam, Spam, and Spam.

Spamming planes  (CVs)

The end result is that we have extremely lame battles with players afraid to engage and be spotted.  

There's nothing fun about these tiers. Bigger ships, guns that rain HE, DDs that can shoot 15 torps at a time....   
This has to be the only game out there where the high tiers are less enjoyable and the players typically less skilled. Too bad WG decide higher tier meant more of everything. 

BTW  if you want to use this opportunity to insult me, this is how I feel about it. Knock yourself out.

Not to be rude, but you really sound like a true BBaby.  You're unhappy that just about anyone other than another BB is shooting at you, for crying out loud!!!

• Cool 3

Members
1,547 posts
9,804 battles
4 minutes ago, Silver_kun said:

Well I guess I will play mid tier more if I can't enjoy high tier anymore once I get GK.

Everything in that tree above Bismarck is a disappointment. German BBs are brawlers however, you can't go out alone to brawl. Your team will camp so your choice will be to go alone and die from HE spam coming at you from every direction  or camp with the other BBs and wait to be torped to the bottom of the sea. 

In fact, Bismarch is far more fun in tier 10 battles then the ships above it. It at least has the speed to get out of harms way

[TF16B]
Members
8,055 posts
16,992 battles
33 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Used to wonder what the flip everyone was talking about with 'the high tier camping meta.'

Just came off a 100-game run of tier 8 battles. Can't say it happened in the majority of the games, but I saw ships crowded behind rocks enough times I had to shake my head; all those ships; most often battleships and cruisers, but occasionally a carrier as well; hiding behind some rock/rocks...

Reminds me of heavy tanks and TDs humping rocks in WoT...

Yeah, torpedo and HE spam can be bad; but I think part of the issue on the destroyer side is that players just don't want to; ("It's not my job,") or just don't know HOW to shoot at and hit destroyers... So many times I watched a destroyer or two tear appart a cluster of ships; wonder why the flip the bigger ships didn't just blow them to bits, considering how close they were... Those afraid of the HE spam can help by shooting up destroyers when they're spotted. Free up your DDs to go hunt campers, and that will help lessen the inflamed burning sensations in a way that doesn't require Preparation H...

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
typos
  • Cool 2

Members
2,879 posts
1,365 battles

Wargaming's idea is power creep.  Start off in a row boat with a wheel lock pistol, then T2 is a WWI cruiser, T3 is a WWI Battle ship, T4 is a Fast Battleship, and by the time you get to T10, your fling a full on Fractured Space grade super dreadnaught capital ship. 

• Cool 1

Members
1,547 posts
9,804 battles
3 minutes ago, Crucis said:

For crying out loud.  You're tired of cruisers shooting BOTH AP and HE  at you????  What do you WANT them to shoot at you?  Marshmallows? Flowers???

I will agree with you about the hiding behind smoke and islands though.  But until that's changed (if ever), that's just cruiser players playing smart!  They'll do the same thing at lower tiers if given half a chance.  You don't think that Belfasts and Fijis and Flints don't do the same thing (hiding in smoke)?  or for that matter, any other cruiser that comes into share their smoke?  Heaven forbid you run across a division with a Flint and a pair of Atlantas.

deer-popcorn.gif.149281141bb5e95dc256eedbbe751a54.gif  
I knew this was coming so I got the popcorn ready.  Ok Crucis, you do know how to read? and you do understand Engrish right? So lets do this slowly. 
I said spamming. Not cruisers firing at me but cruisers in tier 10 that rain on you without even a pause. I know that other players know exactly what I mean. Perhaps you haven't played tier 10 yet

Members
1,547 posts
9,804 battles
2 minutes ago, TheKrimzonDemon said:

No-one is forcing you to play high tiers. In fact, no-one's forcing you to play, period.

That's brilliant!  No-one is forcing you to comment but here you are!

Edited by STINKWEED_
  • Cool 4

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,283 battles
3 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

I knew this was coming so I got the popcorn ready.  Ok Crucis, you do know how to read? and you do understand Engrish right? So lets do this slowly. 
I said spamming. Not cruisers firing at me but cruisers in tier 10 that rain on you without even a pause. I know that other players know exactly what I mean. Perhaps you haven't played tier 10 yet

First of all, I have 9, count'em, NINE tier 10 ships.

Secondly, why should any cruiser give you a pause with its gun fire?  I sure wouldn't.  If I've "found the range" (gotten my aim right on the money), I'd be firing non-stop as well.  Why shouldn't a cruiser maximize his DPM to maximize his damage, when he knows that his aim at your GK is spot on?

Seems to me that I was exactly correct.  You don't like having anyone but BB's shooting at you, Mr Special Stinkweed Snowflake.

• Cool 2

Members
956 posts
11,153 battles

High tier best tier

Playing a BB is balancing your pushes eating as much damage as you can while dishing it out, that means knowing how far you can push it before needing to distance yourself.

If you aren't ending your game using all repair parties (prem+SI) then you are not balancing your pushes right.

• Cool 2

Members
4,448 posts
6,147 battles
30 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Spamming planes  (CVs)

deer-popcorn.gif.149281141bb5e95dc256eedbbe751a54.gif

Well don't play high tiers. Duh.  Simple.  Not an insult but most like mid tires.  Fun. Actually in my 4 years playing WG I do feel it's an ego trip for some to play high tiers.  Just an ego thing.....they post they hate it but play it.....go figure. Helps them feel "better and entitled".  Yup. :Smile_glasses:

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,037 posts
12,517 battles
37 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Spamming planes  (CVs)

Since it's not on your list, I guess the only acceptable kind of spam is BB AP?

Members
4,448 posts
6,147 battles
2 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

That's brilliant!  No-one is forcing you to comment but here you are!

O wow. Dare I say it?  Yup......starts with F AND ENDS WITH L. :Smile_teethhappy:

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,283 battles
9 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

Since it's not on your list, I guess the only acceptable kind of spam is BB AP?

With volleys only being fired about 25-30 seconds apart.

[PSP]
Members
6,038 posts
8,582 battles

When I play the Cleveland, etc. I rarely fire anything but HE. Why? Because the battleships and CAs are firing AP and my job is to cause ancillary damage with fires, especially on angled ships, and also kill any DDs that might threaten them.

I'm stuffed with turkey but now am sort of hungry for SPAM.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

[H-W-C]
Members
1,258 posts
3,306 battles
1 minute ago, Snargfargle said:

I'm stuffed with turkey but now am sort of hungry for SPAM.

Did someone mention spam?

Spoiler

• Cool 1

[-VT-]
Members
329 posts
6,453 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

First of all, I have 9, count'em, NINE tier 10 ships.

Secondly, why should any cruiser give you a pause with its gun fire?  I sure wouldn't.  If I've "found the range" (gotten my aim right on the money), I'd be firing non-stop as well.  Why shouldn't a cruiser maximize his DPM to maximize his damage, when he knows that his aim at your GK is spot on?

Seems to me that I was exactly correct.  You don't like having anyone but BB's shooting at you, Mr Special Stinkweed Snowflake.

Wonder what he says when a Conqueror is spamming HE at him.

Members
343 posts
6,782 battles

In my view, the spamminess of several high tier ships (and the resulting melting effect they have on HP pools) is a major cause of the often dull, campy play at high tiers. No one wants to be leading the charge because the leader is the one who always gets wrecked first. So, you end up with most of a team hiding behind rocks for most of a battle. (Radar being able to go through islands only makes it worse.)

I used to enjoy playing several of the Tier VIII ships I have. The past month or so, though have made me wonder if I should just drop back down to the middle (aka FUN) tiers.

• Cool 1