You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LittleWhiteMouse

Derpwater Torpeedus

89 comments in this topic

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,027 posts
7,606 battles

jhpDBMk.jpg
Discuss.
Edit:  Seriously?  How no one noticed how a sinking destroyer still doesn't go deep enough to set these off?

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse
  • Cool 8

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles

I think they seem to be good, atleast at the moment....

Edited by Silver_kun

Members
6,619 posts
25,230 battles

Can you imagine seeing friendly torps coming at your DD, but they are aimed at the BB you are fighting, and they go through?

Yikes!

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles
Just now, alexf24 said:

Can you imagine seeing friendly torps coming at your DD, but they are aimed at the BB you are fighting, and they go through?

Yikes!

Would definitely scare me if I didn't know a Pan-asian DD had fired them.

• Cool 1

Members
17,686 posts
5,084 battles
14 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

Yikes!

Better yet, can you imagine seeing  unfriendly torps under the same circumstances, fired by an enemy player who didn't know what deep-water torps were? :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
5,709 posts
3,894 battles

I think Flamu was talking about these on YT: they fiddled with the critical draft requirements forever, but then said "Stuff it, we're just going to make all DD immune and everything else susceptible and run with that."

A good compromise until you come across stuff like this!

I think we are going to see people who play Pan-Asian for a while, grind up the PA-DD line, get used to abusing the mechanics... then go back to normal DD's and suddenly we will see a spike in team-kills of friendly destroyers.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 3

[-K-]
[-K-]
Supertester
1,847 posts
6,814 battles

I spy DDs receiving collision detection removal for deepwater torpedoes, regardless of sinkage. So it's simplified from draft based detection to class exclusion.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,902 posts
12,435 battles
8 minutes ago, GoldPile said:

I spy DDs receiving collision detection removal for deepwater torpedoes, regardless of sinkage. So it's simplified from draft based detection to class exclusion.

Well yes, that's exactly what's happening, but that's not funny is it.

@LittleWhiteMouse: I think this is so far the only instance I've seen of someone scoring a football with a torpeedus. </injoke>

[-K-]
[-K-]
Supertester
1,847 posts
6,814 battles
Just now, Lert said:

Well yes, that's exactly what's happening, but that's not funny is it.

Not at all, sometimes I need to use dead ships as torpedo shields.

• Cool 3

Beta Testers
47 posts
2,279 battles

Having no idea how dead ships are detected game-wise, would it not be possible to simply add a tag somewhere (If DD = Dead, then Draft = Cruiser) to stop this sort of thing?

On the other hand, I can't think of any particularly reliable sort of tactic that you can use regularly by exploiting this error... Though I personally would err on the side of getting rid of the possibility. 

• Cool 1

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles
Just now, Smallfuzzykitten said:

Having no idea how dead ships are detected game-wise, would it not be possible to simply add a tag somewhere (If DD = Dead, then Draft = Cruiser) to stop this sort of thing?

On the other hand, I can't think of any particularly reliable sort of tactic that you can use regularly by exploiting this error... Though I personally would err on the side of getting rid of the possibility. 

I don't think that should be hard to do :p.

[WOLF3]
Members
5,873 posts
2,191 battles
11 minutes ago, GoldPile said:

sometimes I need to use dead ships as torpedo shields.

A Gniesenau did that to me last night.  Pulled up behind a wreck (actually, he ran into it) and it ate my torp spread so we ended up killing each other with guns (I was in a Gnies too.)

[RIPQP]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Supertester
725 posts
7,614 battles

RIP using sinking DD's as torpedo shields...

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,139 posts
3,867 battles
31 minutes ago, GoldPile said:

Not at all, sometimes I need to use dead ships as torpedo shields.

Some BB mains like to ram my still-alive destroyer, pin me via not slowing down, and use me as a torpedo shield as well.

At least deepwater derpedoes mean that won't work as often.

• Cool 2

[4HIM]
Members
1,699 posts
3,861 battles

Personally, I just don't see the point.  Sometimes it's handy to use torps to scare DD's out of smoke.  But if they don't work against DD's, it just means they're less uselful. 

[WOLF4]
Members
1,091 posts
4,681 battles

I'll have to wait to hear what the playtesters say. I'm still a little skeptical about the idea of having weapons that can only affect one of the four classes in a match. 

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles
Just now, DingBat said:

I'll have to wait to hear what the playtesters say. I'm still a little skeptical about the idea of having weapons that can only affect one of the four classes in a match.  *Cannot

There corrected it for you, it cannot affect DDs but all other classes can be damaged...

[WOLF5]
Members
438 posts
18,142 battles
1 hour ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

Personally, I just don't see the point.  Sometimes it's handy to use torps to scare DD's out of smoke.  But if they don't work against DD's, it just means they're less uselful. 

From what I've seen on the PTS, you can probably still scare them into moving. The color difference on DWT vs T triangle is very slight. I think the torp alarm doesn't go off, but when they pop up with the short detection time, the DD is going to start to maneuver when they see them because they have to honor the torp threat. It's just that you won't kill them with torps, but if your goal is to make them react to you, I think DWTs will still do this.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,119 posts
2,396 battles
3 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Discuss.
Edit:  Seriously?  How no one noticed how a sinking destroyer still doesn't go deep enough to set these off?

Obviously somebody took shortcuts in how these torps are modeled with the line "Ignore all destroyer clipping" somewhere in the code.

Edited by Mulletproof
spalling

Members
343 posts
6,782 battles

These are the kinds of things that happen when WG comes up with a silly gimmick to try and make a ship line "unique".

• Cool 1