You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AtlanticRim

IFHE on German Secondaries?

22 comments in this topic

[VVV]
Members
349 posts
2,270 battles

So, I'm trying to draft a commander skill setup. What does the community think about IFHE for the secondaries of German battleships?

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles

It can be pretty useful but since I don't have a high skilled commander I can't really say.

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles

I'd advise you first take AFT and manual though, and if you prefer a survivability build then IFHE won't be used by you much anyways I suppose.

[NEWB]
Members
47 posts
1,528 battles

Bismark or GK?

It improves the HE of the 105mm from 17mm pen(almost nothing) to 22mm (all lower Tier CA, all DDs and BB superstructure). =very useful.

On the GK it only helps at bow/aft of BBs. =not worth the 4points in my opinion. (31mm pen => 37mm)

[HINON]
Members
8,842 posts

With the HE spam these days it's not worth the four points imo.

Edited by RipNuN2

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
47 minutes ago, AtlanticRim said:

So, I'm trying to draft a commander skill setup. What does the community think about IFHE for the secondaries of German battleships?

Gneisnau and Kurfurst are the ONLY 2 ships in the game in which 100% of the secondaries benefit from IFHE, with this skill ALL secondaries obtain the ability to pen 32mm of armor. Only 50% of the Bismarcks and Freds secondaries benefit from IFHE, the other 50% dont pen 32mm even with IFHE.

See chart if you need more information:

Edited by Ulthwey
  • Cool 2

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
1,583 posts
5,874 battles

Most of you seem to be forgetting that German secondaries follow the 1/4 rule since the update a few months back that changed all German guns to that standard.  All 105mm and 128mm (since with 1/4 it does 32mm exactly, but the way pen works it needs >32mm) benefit, raising them above the 32mm threshold.

Would I suggest IFHE?  No.  The trade-off of fewer fires makes increase damage potential questionable to begin with.  You are much better off spending points in survivability.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,376 posts
7,971 battles

Comes down to who you ask, but, if your one of those players that actually switches ammo types, have to remember that German BB's while they have smaller guns are caliber/4, so aside from pen increases on secondary guns on any of the German BB's basically tier 6 and up, if you were to say, switch to HE because of an angled BB or a DD, and a cruiser comes around the corner, you could punch through the citadel of most cruisers, their turrets, etc up through tier 8 with the 123.5, depending on what way if it rounds, mm of pen the 380 mm guns get. Which sure, not the same devastation as AP citadels, but far less chance you overpen the citadel of paper thin ships like UK cruisers and better chance at causing a detonation, as well as maybe take out things like torp tubes.

[VVV]
Members
349 posts
2,270 battles

Alright everybody, thanks for the input. I will not go with IFHE, and save the points for something else.

Thanks for all your help on solving the problem!

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles

@Ulthwey That was a really good and informative post, I learnt a lot I wasn't aware of :p.

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
4 minutes ago, AtlanticRim said:

Alright everybody, thanks for the input. I will not go with IFHE, and save the points for something else.

Thanks for all your help on solving the problem!

This is what IFHE + Full Secondary build + Manual Secondaries gets you on a Kurfurst. Take from this whatever you will.

Personal Score.jpg

Personal Score.jpg

Personal Score.jpg

Edited by Ulthwey

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles

Those are really nice battles.

Edited by Silver_kun

[WOLF4]
Members
173 posts
1,280 battles

German secondaries build. 

PT/AR/BFT/AFT/MS

After that it's your choice.. SI is good for extra Heal and Hydro depending on the ship, anything to help with fires, concealment if you like; I'm not really sold on it though since there is so many ways to be spotted and I'm more of the shoot if you have the shot kind of player way I see it you only have so much time and you only get so many chances to actually shoot at something.

Beta Testers
2,029 posts
11 minutes ago, Ulthwey said:

This is what IFHE + Full Secondary build + Manual Secondaries gets you on a Kurfurst. Take from this whatever you will.

Personal Score.jpg

Personal Score.jpg

Personal Score.jpg

Do you have the screen shots of the Detailed Reports to show the damage done by secondaries?

[ZR]
WoWS Wiki Editor
552 posts
4,747 battles

Not recommended. 

Secondaries will never be your primary source of damage, while it may be fun and handy on the Bismarck you do not want to dedicate too many points into a secondary build. IFHE is a waste of 4 points for very little benefit. If you want a secondary build, AFT+mansec is enough.

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles
1 minute ago, mrmariokartguy said:

Not recommended. 

Secondaries will never be your primary source of damage, while it may be fun and handy on the Bismarck you do not want to dedicate too many points into a secondary build. IFHE is a waste of 4 points for very little benefit. If you want a secondary build, AFT+mansec is enough.

I guess if T10 meta would be more aggressive then it would find much more use.

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
19 minutes ago, AspiringCodger said:

Do you have the screen shots of the Detailed Reports to show the damage done by secondaries?

Yes, as you can see roughly 1/3rd-1/4th of my overall damage is due to secondaries.

Detailed Report.jpg

Detailed Report.jpg

Detailed Report.jpg

Edited by Ulthwey
  • Cool 1

[NG-NL]
Members
4,961 posts
8,109 battles

The only caveat to such specialty is you have to close within secondary range and constantly keep your ship semi-broadside to ensure constant stream of fire.

Also, you need a cruiser or BB to farm the damage--DDs dodge around 80% of the hits given their size. It also depends on your aggressive timing so you don't get focused down.

[TMS]
Members
1,623 posts
21,656 battles
38 minutes ago, Reymu said:

The only caveat to such specialty is you have to close within secondary range and constantly keep your ship semi-broadside to ensure constant stream of fire.

Also, you need a cruiser or BB to farm the damage--DDs dodge around 80% of the hits given their size. It also depends on your aggressive timing so you don't get focused down.

Not really as the same angle needed for best shell deflection is enough for secondary guns.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,804 posts
18 hours ago, Ulthwey said:

Yes, as you can see roughly 1/3rd-1/4th of my overall damage is due to secondaries.

Detailed Report.jpg

Detailed Report.jpg

Detailed Report.jpg

Well 25% - 33% of total is an improvement over just full secondaries alone.   I find that full secondary spec w/o IFHE gives you about 18% - 20%.

I may have to give IFHE a try on my German BB captain.   Will depend what I have to give up for it.