You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
MannyD_of_The_Sea

Setting the Sales Record straight

11 comments in this topic

Members
964 posts
5,678 battles

Lots of memories are hazy about when certain dicounts, bundles, sales, etc. Were offered last year - Thanksgiving, cyber monday, Black Friday, Christmas, etc. This can all be straightened out via the "load more" button at the bottom of the main page, until your get to last year's ads. I did this, and distilling it down, here is what the 2016 Shipsgiving to New Years offerings were:

1. The 50% premium discount was a Thanksgiving (shipsgiving) offering. November 24-29. Not Black Friday, not Cyber Monday.

2. There was no standalone Black Friday deal.

3.There was a credit discount on Tech tree ships on the equivalent of cyber monday.

4. Throughout December, weekly bundles were rotated in and out. "Discounts" were the standard type - Ultimate, Fully Loaded, ship and port slot. Prices were nothing special over normal. Some ships not always available were rotated in.

5. Christmas sale was just more of these bundles at one time. No backflip material.

The other non-sale events of note from Thanksgiving to January were:

1. Release of Missouri

2. Graf Spee missions

3. Missions for free Arpeggio ships

4. Santa crates.

My memory told me that the 2016 Thanksgiving sales were the big discounts, that Chrismas sales were unimpressive, and that Santa Crates, Missouri, and the various missions redeemed the rest of the season. My perusal of the ads bore this out.

This year appears to be shaping up like last year. So, if you're looking for major discounts, last year's pattern indicates these current bundles are probably it. I fault no one for keeping a closed wallet.

Edited by MannyD_of_The_Sea
Typos
  • Cool 5

[PROJX]
Members
967 posts
15,422 battles
15 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

Lots of memories are hazy about when certain dicounts, bundles, sales, etc. Were offered last year - Thanksgiving, cyber monday, Black Friday, Christmas, etc. This can all be straightened out via the "load more" button at the bottom of the main page, until your get to last year's ads. I did this, and distilling it down, here is what the 2016 Shipsgiving to New Years offerings were:

1. The 50% premium discount was a Thanksgiving (shipsgiving) offering. November 24-29. Not Black Friday, not Cyber Monday.

2. There was no standalone Black Friday deal.

3.There was a credit discount on Tech tree ships on the equivalent of cyber monday.

4. Throughout December, weekly bundles were rotated in and out. "Discounts" were the standard type - Ultimate, Fully Loaded, ship and port slot. Prices were nothing special over normal. Some ships not always available were rotated in.

5. Christmas sale was just more of these bundles at one time. No backflip material.

The other non-sale events of note from Thanksgiving to January were:

1. Release of Missouri

2. Graf Spee missions

3. Missions for free Arpeggio ships

4. Santa crates.

My memory told me that the 2016 Thanksgiving sales were the big discounts, that Chrismas sales were unimpressive, and that Santa Crates, Missouri, and the various missions redeemed the rest of the season. My perusal of the ads bore this out.

This year appears to be shaping up like last year. So, if you're looking for major discounts, last year's pattern indicates there current bundles are probably it. I fault no one for keeping a closed wallet.

+1, Good news is there apart from what the likely holiday sales are, there are a couple of items in your list to look forward to.

Since the Musashi hasn’t appeared yet in the hands of supertesters in the live game, the Missouri analogy, probably will be a 2018 event (Q1 or Q2).

The ARP event was due to the expiring agreement w/ Arpeggio so nothing like that this year.

BUT...

There is a good likelihood for the Santa’s Crates (...possible Premium ships, or at least some cammos et al) and I would expect a Graf Spee/Santa’s Convoy analogous Campaign/Mission series in December to take advantage of the playtime period during the holidays!

Edited by hangglide42

[-K-]
Members
5,044 posts
8,928 battles
16 minutes ago, hangglide42 said:

There is a good likelihood for the Santa’s Crates (...possible Premium ships, or at least some cammos et al) and I would expect a Graf Spee/Santa’s Convoy analogous Campaign/Mission series in December to take advantage of the playtime period during the holidays!

Can we get a return of the Project R pearl event?

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/project-r-announcement/

• Cool 3

Members
964 posts
5,678 battles
16 minutes ago, hangglide42 said:

+1, Good news is there apart from what the likely holiday sales are, there are a couple of items in your list to look forward to.

Since the Musashi hasn’t appeared yet in the hands of supertesters in the live game, the Missouri analogy, probably will 

All to be sure. Im just saying that for folks who want to save money on things bought with money, that their wallet has to do some heavy lifting - apart from the small number of ships that do have discounts right now.

It appears that people are more vocal this year about the arrangement leaving a bad taste in their mouths; maybe WG might adjust the December sales in response.

[LOU1]
Members
2,852 posts
7,980 battles

I bought all of my stuff (multiple ships, flags, camos) through Santa crates.  That included 180 days of Premium.  All i all, a massive sale for me with extreme discounts.  Guess it all depends on your perspective.

[CRON]
Members
1 post
8,175 battles

I loved the discounted premium last year and was looking forward to re-upping.  Was gonna go for another year, get some doubloons, and look for a premium ship or two for more trainers...  Maybe they're earning more money this way, but it won't be coming from me.

The Santa crates were great the first year and at least gave good doubloons for the money.  Last year's were God awful, filled with junk signals and other trash that I'm already getting in the daily boxes.  Sorry, no more shots in the dark - tell me what I'm buying or no go.

• Cool 1

[YORHA]
Members
3,243 posts

Let's see.

This year's Birthday Event was a major reduction from last year's.

This year's Thanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday is a major reduction from last year's.

But I bet the Santa Crates will be just as good as last year.

[PROJX]
Members
967 posts
15,422 battles
47 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Can we get a return of the Project R pearl event?

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/project-r-announcement/

I hope 2018’s event is closer to the nature of 2016’s Project R event which seems to have gotten a more positive community response, than 2017’s Clash of Fire (too heavy play requirements for the reward ship - unrealistic for most). +1

[PVE]
Members
5,305 posts
17,730 battles

Santa Crates were the thing that made last year great. The big bundle was "meh" but there were players back then who really wanted the Katori enough to buy the bundle for not only the ship but the doubloons and port slots. Back then you got full doubloon value of the ship even though the bundle essentially made the ships half price. Was a good deal if you could afford it. The only thing of any mention was the premium time deals, the 50% off for a year was great. 

One only has to look at the forum posts from last year at this time, the sales were ok but most were like the ones now, people saying they are not interested in the specials. This year it is worse, nothing worth having. I think they screwed the pooch by not offering a bundle that had only ships released in 2017, Wargaming marketing is as intelligent as your average brick. They again failed to cater to the smaller spender and went straight for the big dollar bundles. The few premiums they offered for sale were the old ones, it is all so pathetic. 

Beta Testers
164 posts
5,725 battles

Agreed that the Santa crates were good to me at least. That being said, there is a certain point where you have too many premiums. The 360 day premium at $50 is the best buy IMO.

[YORHA]
Members
3,243 posts

Well.. the 90 Day Premium offer on the Thanksgiving links is still 404 so maybe they are reconsidering?   

Please?