Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

Root Android Custom Rom Security

5 comments in this topic

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,268 posts

So I have an older Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - the first of the Galaxy Note phones. It's doing well at four years of age. So, now that I'm waaaay out of warranty, I thought it might be fun to do a custom ROM. I use t-mobile and thought I'd like to unlock the phone from the carrier, well, just because you can. The code for that will come sometime in the next two weeks. I've read it isn't necessary to unlock the phone from T-mobile as they don't lock the boot-loader. This actions just unlocks it so I can utilize other network SIM cards if I wanted - or if I eventually choose to sell it. 

I'm curious though how many of you have rooted/rom'd your android phone. The note 3 has the pen, which you don't want to abandon if at all possible. It adds some good features. I've installed one custom rom on another device, the first edition of the Nexus tablet, wifi only. Used cyanogenmod. It's "okay" but then the device is far behind technically. 

What roms do those of you doing this sort of thing recommend? I've seen the RR mix... and Lineage OS recommended. I've also seen where they put down more recent rom's from more recent Notes... would like some input if you have the knowledge. 

Why do this? I want as clean a phone as possible (no bloatware on the device if at all possible). I have an app that disables them but I'd like to move up into more recent versions of Android... I'm still in 5.x... It's a bit of a hobby too... tweaking around with the computer/tablets/phones. 

Biggest question however has to do with security. If you root your phone, aren't you providing more opportunity for apps to do things you don't want them doing? 

Any / all thoughts on the custom roms/rooting are appreciated. tiafyc

[PVE]
Members
1,226 posts
4,756 battles

That depends on what you let run in the background. Also it's a bad idea to enable unknown sources download and ADB over network for instance. I used to build Liquidsmooth for my note 3 but it's old news and discontinued. RR and Desolation are very good roms I use desolation on my V20. 

Another consideration is what you use the phone for.. mine is a PHONE not a music box or a television I keep mine clean n mean and rooting allows me more customization and freedom to delete any app I consider garbage.  You will lose some functionality of the S-pen with custom roms.

You'll need your PC an app called ODIN and some carriers like sprint , verizon and att have their quirks to root as well. Once you have TWRP installed and run CF autoroot before you do anything USE TWRP TO BACKUP YOUR PHONE! Remember as long as you can access recovery (TWRP) and have a backup you can fix 99.9% of issues if you screw something up and I've fixed some zingers... I belong to and use https://www.xda-developers.com the best source for all things root and phone info. Cheers!

I used a T-mobile Note3 on Att as the Att version is locked up tight....

Edited by Jim_Byrnes
  • Cool 1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,268 posts

Thanks - yup, familiar with those names and places. RR and Desolation are the two I've heard of.... the only time I enable unknown sources is when I update some Amazon android apps. The remainder of the time it's unchecked. I have KIES (which I was thinking was akin to ODIN, but probably not) so I'll just get ODIN. I'm gonna mess with it this weekend - should be fun. 

Have you had any apps that required you to run Magisk? 

[PVE]
Members
1,226 posts
4,756 battles
49 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Thanks - yup, familiar with those names and places. RR and Desolation are the two I've heard of.... the only time I enable unknown sources is when I update some Amazon android apps. The remainder of the time it's unchecked. I have KIES (which I was thinking was akin to ODIN, but probably not) so I'll just get ODIN. I'm gonna mess with it this weekend - should be fun. 

Have you had any apps that required you to run Magisk? 

No I can't say that I have.. Magisk is a nice app though use it on my V20

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,268 posts

Well I did it... I'm now running rooted Nougat 7.1.2 LineageOS (android). I'm gonna play with it for a week, maybe two, then go with the RR rom. Went fairly smooth actually. There are a number of tutorials out there... but one thing worth sharing I suppose...

When you're rooting, use the root method for the CURRENT version of Android that is on your device. I was good first go round but did not do the google apps correctly (GAPPS). The OS I'm running states clearly to load GAPPS before you reboot after the rom zip install. I forgot. :-) 

So I did everything all over but didn't root. <sigh> So I tried rooting but got stuck - probably because so many apps were loaded. So I wiped it all out again, did everything with the CORRECT root for 7.1.2 and she's running fine. 

The S-Pen does not work in this OS. There's a Darklord rom which contains the note 7 install... I'm probably gonna try that after the RR. 

Edited by Herr_Reitz

Sign in to follow this