Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_TheEntireUniverse_

WG, show some love to the smaller wallets

26 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
100 posts
2,445 battles

The big bundles are fantastic, but most of us can’t afford to drop $100-500 on an impulse purchase. Where are the sales for those of us who can only afford to spend $5-45? Us cash-strapped players would love to be able to splurge once in a while, but 15% off 90 days of premium just doesn’t cut it. Even outside of Black Friday, most sales are of ship bundles that require spending $50+ to actually save any money on anything. It makes sense to try and entice people to spend more money on your game, but it’s hard to feel like I can get good value on anything under $50 most of the time. It would be great if there were more options for people with small wallets or who don’t know if they want to invest a lot of money in the game yet.

 

Here are some ideas for less expensive bundles and sales you could offer for those of us who can’t drop tons of cash all at once:

  • Bonus doubloons based on amount purchased. A month or so ago, there was a deal to get bonus doubloons if you bought with a credit or debit card, and the bonus percentage increased as you spent more. This is what enticed me into first spending money on the game, and got me to spend $20. Just run this special all the time!!! It’s far easier than trying to choose between the selection of gold and credit packages that are in the store now.
  • Sales on the base ship itself. Most of the time, if you want to actually save money you had to spend above and beyond the base price of the ship. It’s very uncommon to see the base price be discounted at all. Big sales like Black Friday would be ideal times to put a number of ships on sale in their base configuration, and not just make bigger bundles.
  • Bundles of low tier ships. Why should I spend $12 on a tier 2 premium if I can get a tier 7 Sims for $25? Most people are going to save their money for the higher tier ship. But a bundle of the low tier ships could be interesting in the $12-20 range. It wouldn’t cannibalize sales of the higher tier ships because they just don’t earn as many credits, but it could be an attractive buy for someone who can’t afford a money machine or who doesn’t know if they are willing to invest that much money into the game yet. 
  • Sales on smaller premium time purchases. Why only put 90 days on sale? Why not 30 or 14 or 7? Of course the savings should scale, but is it really too much to ask for more options in the $5-20 range?

 

TL;DR: WG should put stuff on sale for a wider variety of price points, especially in the <$20 range.

  • Cool 16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[HCH]
Members
82 posts
7,414 battles

 why not normal discounts for each ship separately ..... for example : in any of these packages suit me only a few ships that will play ..... and the rest of it ? just will stand at the port ? ballast ?   

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,388 posts
5,421 battles

Nicely written and presented.   I think the bundle is a quick cash infusion ploy. Depending on it's success or failure there maybe a re-representation in small price points later on. For now its the FULL BOAT price structure and offering.  Can't remember if this happen last year..anyone chime in on that ??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50
[SYN]
Members
101 posts
8,203 battles

Well, there is a discount on tech tree ships...

Premium Ship Discounts
(In-Game Tech Tree Purchases)
50% 6c577eb2-d9e4-11e6-be32-d89d6715223c.png Off - Tiers III-IV
40% 6c577eb2-d9e4-11e6-be32-d89d6715223c.png Off - Tiers V-VI
30% 6c577eb2-d9e4-11e6-be32-d89d6715223c.png Off - Tiers VII-VIII
(Excludes HoodKaga, and Indianapolis

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
439
[4HIM]
Members
1,699 posts
3,861 battles
41 minutes ago, MrSharkswith said:

Well, there is a discount on tech tree ships...

Premium Ship Discounts
(In-Game Tech Tree Purchases)
50% 6c577eb2-d9e4-11e6-be32-d89d6715223c.png Off - Tiers III-IV
40% 6c577eb2-d9e4-11e6-be32-d89d6715223c.png Off - Tiers V-VI
30% 6c577eb2-d9e4-11e6-be32-d89d6715223c.png Off - Tiers VII-VIII
(Excludes HoodKaga, and Indianapolis

Yep.  I was saving up to get a Scharn.  This enabled me to do that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,391
[O_O]
Members
4,333 posts
9,274 battles
1 hour ago, dionkraft said:

 Can't remember if this happen last year..anyone chime in on that ??

Yes, an Armada bundle and similar, smaller bundles were offered last year.

As this game gets older, however, I think there will be fewer and fewer players that will bite on those.  And, as more premium ships are released every year, the Armada gets larger and much more expensive.  $500???  Not going to happen in my house.  It isnt that I cannot afford it...I just cannot justify it.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
439
[4HIM]
Members
1,699 posts
3,861 battles
13 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

$500???  Not going to happen in my house.  It isnt that I cannot afford it...I just cannot justify it.

Yep.  WAY too rich for just a pastime.  Just for digital boats.  I do have hobbies where I spend that much.  But I end up with a tangible asset that I could sell later if I lose interest.  Heck, if they'd simply deduct the price of the ships you already have, it might get close to being okay.  Then again, those bundles also include some ships I likely wouldn't buy even if they were only 500 dubs. 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
740
[NG-NL]
Members
4,949 posts
8,094 battles

For someone like me that budgets regularly, saving for something like this is easy. Just started a few months in advance, hoard the pocket change. A regular-size yogurt container here easily holds over $40 worth of loose change. In a mere month, from doing surveys on the side along with Swagbucks and Irazoo, I've redeemed enough for over $100. Spending a lot on WG is easy if careless.

 

Don't appreciate the need of appealing to smaller wallets since never been there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,388 posts
5,421 battles
5 hours ago, desmo_2 said:

Yes, an Armada bundle and similar, smaller bundles were offered last year.

As this game gets older, however, I think there will be fewer and fewer players that will bite on those.  And, as more premium ships are released every year, the Armada gets larger and much more expensive.  $500???  Not going to happen in my house.  It isnt that I cannot afford it...I just cannot justify it.

Thank YOU for chiming in on that info presented. Yeah...I feel the same as you...The immense amount of cost is not worth the justification.   I am sure as we speak..WOW is thinking of other sales presentations to render more cash from the players.  I dunno..speaking for myself..I find that discounting ships too much renders a kind of a cheapening effect on what I paid originally. I can see discounting in time as we go but whole sale blow out tactics leaves a bad taste in my mouth and gives me some resistance toward new purchases. I don't know..maybe thats the emotion for now and I will go back to normal and buy what they dish out!    LOL!

Edited by dionkraft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,388 posts
5,421 battles
4 hours ago, SkeletonDenial said:

Armada a la carte would be fun

I LIKE that Idea..how about a buy 2 and get one FREE?    NOW that would probably get the interest METER going upwards..then the last...BUY IT NOW and we throw in some Signals....50 Detonation Flags.!!    

But seriously a A la CARTE IS A GOOD IDEA. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
348
[BNKR]
Members
1,302 posts
681 battles
3 hours ago, Reymu said:

For someone like me that budgets regularly, saving for something like this is easy. Just started a few months in advance, hoard the pocket change. A regular-size yogurt container here easily holds over $40 worth of loose change. In a mere month, from doing surveys on the side along with Swagbucks and Irazoo, I've redeemed enough for over $100. Spending a lot on WG is easy if careless.

 

Don't appreciate the need of appealing to smaller wallets since never been there.

 

"Because I can personally afford the big bundles, nobody else should ever be offered smaller bundles.  F*ck people who have more bills than I do."

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
740
[NG-NL]
Members
4,949 posts
8,094 battles
4 hours ago, CaptainKaitoGhost said:

 

"Because I can personally afford the big bundles, nobody else should ever be offered smaller bundles.  F*ck people who have more bills than I do."

My point is planning ahead for a big purchase is within reach. If player A didn't put in the effort to have the $$ saved, then he simply can't afford it.

 

Besides, if the bundle means so much to player A, surely he could have done a little financial discipline ahead of time? Then again, I grew up learning how to budget and all, and some of my fellows WOWS players never did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
1,119 posts
2,394 battles
17 hours ago, _TheEntireUniverse_ said:

The big bundles are fantastic, but most of us can’t afford to drop $100-500 on an impulse purchase. Where are the sales for those of us who can only afford to spend $5-45?

I suspect WoWS has banked its survival on whales instead of the quote-unquote "micro" transaction model.
It certainly seems to bare out in their target audience of "GET EVERYTHING FOR $300 SUCH A DEAL!"   :cap_old:

I just bought a $700 1911 for black friday, Wargaming. It's not that I can't afford it. Figure it out maybe someday?

Edited by Mulletproof
words

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
102
Members
343 posts
6,782 battles
13 hours ago, RipNuN2 said:

The Christmas sale is the one you should save for.

I really hope they do the Santa Crates again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
100 posts
2,445 battles
5 hours ago, Reymu said:

My point is planning ahead for a big purchase is within reach. If player A didn't put in the effort to have the $$ saved, then he simply can't afford it.

 

Besides, if the bundle means so much to player A, surely he could have done a little financial discipline ahead of time? Then again, I grew up learning how to budget and all, and some of my fellows WOWS players never did.

The issue isn’t that there aren’t players who place an extremely high value on the game to the point of including it in their monthly budgeting, but that there is much less incentive to put down any currency at all if you have a much more modest but nonzero valuation of the game. If you don’t love it enough to drop hundreds of dollars on it, WG doesn’t seem all that interested in your money. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
348
[BNKR]
Members
1,302 posts
681 battles
20 hours ago, Reymu said:

My point is planning ahead for a big purchase is within reach. If player A didn't put in the effort to have the $$ saved, then he simply can't afford it.

 

Besides, if the bundle means so much to player A, surely he could have done a little financial discipline ahead of time? Then again, I grew up learning how to budget and all, and some of my fellows WOWS players never did.

 

My point is that not everyone can justify dropping $300 on a single video game.  And not everyone wants to buy almost every premium in the game at one go.

 

But f*ck those people, right?  WG should only ever cater to the people who want to casually drop several hundred dollars at a time on a free to play game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
60
[O_S_D]
Members
119 posts
4,188 battles

Several premium ships are discounted. 

 

I got Atlanta, 4000 doubloons, and 4mil credits for $53. The 4000 doubloons is enough to buy a second premium ship from the tech tree right now, such as Sims. I haven't pulled the trigger yet because this is the first time I've spent money on the game and I'm wary of throwing away the shiny brass I just got, but that basically means I got Atlanta ($64), Sims ($25), 500 doubloons ($3) and 4mil credits for $53. 

 

Alternatively, I could put the doubloons to low-tier ships. 4000 is enough to buy Oleg, Katori, and Ishizuchi, with 600 to spare, which would mean 4 premium ships, 600 doubloons, and 4mil credits for $53. The regular price for this package, minus the 4mil credits, is $108.

 

Not saying this as an answer to your request or to discount it, but that's a pretty solid deal IMO. Granted, I've been waiting for months to be able to buy Atlanta, so.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
401
[WAIFU]
Beta Testers
1,822 posts
3,502 battles
On 11/24/2017 at 8:09 AM, RipNuN2 said:

The Christmas sale is the one you should save for.

This!!!

 

Wait for Christmas 50% off Prem time 360days

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
96
[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles
1 minute ago, Hanger_18 said:

This!!!

 

Wait for Christmas 50% off Prem time 360days

I thought that was only for black Friday,(which didn't happen)

It's nice that they might have the package for Christmas.

Edited by Silver_kun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,865 posts
1,365 battles
On 11/24/2017 at 3:07 AM, _TheEntireUniverse_ said:

The big bundles are fantastic, but most of us can’t afford to drop $100-500 on an impulse purchase.

In Soviet Russia, Money spends you!

But yeah, I do wonder if WG seriously thinks making huge [edited]entire paycheck type bundles is a good idea, or that it really sells that well. 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
96
[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles
Just now, KnightFandragon said:

In Soviet Russia, Money spends you!

Lol. Nice #YoMama reference..:Smile_teethhappy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
401
[WAIFU]
Beta Testers
1,822 posts
3,502 battles
53 minutes ago, Silver_kun said:

I thought that was only for black Friday,(which didn't happen)

It's nice that they might have the package for Christmas.

Nope Christmas, I'm still riding mine out from last year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×