You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
USCG90

South America line

15 comments in this topic

Members
1 post
273 battles

I was thinking that with the addition of several new lines (including the recently released Pan-Asia line), WoWs should begin a South America line. A number of fascinating and powerful ships have come from South America during the early 1900s, especially from Chile, Argentina and Brazil. A host of information is available on the South American dreadnought race from 1905 to the beginning of World War I which resulted in such beautiful behemoths as the Minas Geraes-class battleships (Brazil), Almirante Latorre-class battleships (Chile), and the Rivadavia-class battleships (Argentina). These dreadnoughts were state-of-the-art at the time, and rivaled or exceeded the capabilities of such ships coming from Britain or Germany. 

Opening a South America line would also increase the market of WoWs players in Latin America. Being able to use an iconic ship from your country's past increases the chances of you playing the game. This applies to Japanese players piloting the Yamato, American players commanding the Midway, or Russian players taking the helm of Moskva. The same applies to such legends as the Minas Geraes or the Almirante Latorre.

1200px-E_Minas_Geraes_1910_altered.thumb.jpg.b6bb129117cdb9323c22183973ecc8aa.jpg

^The Brazilian battleship Minas Geraes^

1200px-Chilean_battleship_Almirante_Latorre.thumb.jpg.b9ada26ea133b1fdda2e64ae012cdd87.jpg

^Chilean battleship Almirante Latorre^

1200px-Rivadavia_Battleship_LOC_14781u.thumb.jpg.e774b43782e699441418a691ccd80be7.jpg

^Argentine battleship Rivadavia^

• Cool 6

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,324 posts
11,451 battles

More ships means more fun.....

I agree with you.

[SIM]
Members
2,436 posts
4,075 battles

I’m all for including more nations in the game, and the idea of a Pan-South American line is appealing. However, are there enough designs to create a ten tiered tech tree? If not, you may have to settle for a few South American premiums, which is similar to how the Polish and the British Commonwealth have been handled to this point.

[FALCO]
Alpha Tester
998 posts
5,209 battles
4 hours ago, SkaerKrow said:

I’m all for including more nations in the game, and the idea of a Pan-South American line is appealing. However, are there enough designs to create a ten tiered tech tree? If not, you may have to settle for a few South American premiums, which is similar to how the Polish and the British Commonwealth have been handled to this point.

Actually, yes, there is a lot of designs to use and any other things, just look at this:

And this:

• Cool 2

Members
316 posts
2,270 battles

I love the tech tree ideas. Wargaming is already using reskinned (for lack of a better term) ships for the Pan-Asian DD line, so the fact that a lot of the South American ships are reskins isn't too far-fetched. I'd love to see BAP Almirante Grau in the game. One of the longest lasting cruisers from its era, it was only decommissioned last year. 

Members
2,274 posts
7,331 battles

I would love some sauth american line in the game, but it would have to be similar to what they did with pan asia. The BBs would have to be premium ships, we only have only low tiers. But i guess we could make a DD and light crusier lines up to t10, mainly from Brasil, Argentina and Chile. 

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

I want the colombian navy ship Mi Juan Valdez  70k donkey power and smells of fresh ground coffee after every shot fired from the  largo rifles.

• Funny 1

[OPEC]
Members
926 posts
5,108 battles

Hmmm...

16 minutes ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

I want the colombian navy ship Mi Juan Valdez  70k donkey power and smells of fresh ground coffee after every shot fired from the  largo rifles.

I think a deck lined with coffee bags might enjoy significant damage reduction from British BB HE and provide a built-in fresh roasting function for the galley espresso bar...

Capture.JPG

• Funny 2

[FAE]
Members
2,120 posts
2,510 battles

Did they mostly make BBs? Did they have significant ships for other lines? Cruisers, DDs? 

I don't see why not add them as a Pan-South-America line. 

[STP]
[STP]
Beta Testers
2,022 posts
11,126 battles

can be great a south america navy (hope they dont make something like dragon flag lol)

Members
316 posts
2,270 battles
13 hours ago, BlailBlerg said:

Did they mostly make BBs? Did they have significant ships for other lines? Cruisers, DDs? 

I don't see why not add them as a Pan-South-America line. 

Talleyrand's thread linked in BrunoSchezer's post is a cruiser line. I also saw a South American DD tech tree idea here, but can't find it atm.

[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
14,228 battles

Better not do that before Canada gets Haida or I will be pissed

• Bad 1

[KP]
Members
1,996 posts
18,433 battles
On 11/23/2017 at 11:44 PM, USCG90 said:

I was thinking that with the addition of several new lines (including the recently released Pan-Asia line), WoWs should begin a South America line. A number of fascinating and powerful ships have come from South America during the early 1900s, especially from Chile, Argentina and Brazil. A host of information is available on the South American dreadnought race from 1905 to the beginning of World War I which resulted in such beautiful behemoths as the Minas Geraes-class battleships (Brazil), Almirante Latorre-class battleships (Chile), and the Rivadavia-class battleships (Argentina). These dreadnoughts were state-of-the-art at the time, and rivaled or exceeded the capabilities of such ships coming from Britain or Germany. 

Opening a South America line would also increase the market of WoWs players in Latin America. Being able to use an iconic ship from your country's past increases the chances of you playing the game. This applies to Japanese players piloting the Yamato, American players commanding the Midway, or Russian players taking the helm of Moskva. The same applies to such legends as the Minas Geraes or the Almirante Latorre.

1200px-E_Minas_Geraes_1910_altered.thumb.jpg.b6bb129117cdb9323c22183973ecc8aa.jpg

^The Brazilian battleship Minas Geraes^

1200px-Chilean_battleship_Almirante_Latorre.thumb.jpg.b9ada26ea133b1fdda2e64ae012cdd87.jpg

^Chilean battleship Almirante Latorre^

1200px-Rivadavia_Battleship_LOC_14781u.thumb.jpg.e774b43782e699441418a691ccd80be7.jpg

^Argentine battleship Rivadavia^

Not to mention the Protected and Trade style cruisers sold to these countries. What about the General Belgrano of Argentina?

[ARGSY]
Members
5,793 posts
3,942 battles
On 24/11/2017 at 4:47 AM, SkaerKrow said:

I think the situation you would end up with is far more akin to the Italians. More than just a couple of isolated examples whose captains are unsuited to each other, but not quite enough for a full tree unless you fill it with ex-major-navy ships for which some new gimmick has to be devised. The worst thing about the latter is that you would have to find points of differentiation not only with the originals, but in the destroyers' case with the Pan-Asians as well.

The better part of a South American line (or premium ship set) is that the SA battleship race resulted in ships designed and built specifically for those navies; they weren't just hand-me-downs from first-rate powers, even if the fact of them being bought from abroad means that their designers went with the sorts of concepts they might have turned out for their own nations (e.g. Mikasa is thoroughly Japanese in her history and lore, but in design concept and construction terms she is 100% a British pre-dreadnought).

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu