You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Peregrinas

Black: A few suggestions and improvements

6 comments in this topic

[SF-3]
Members
3,177 posts
8,169 battles

Black. A ship that sparked controversy and outrage in the community, deemed to be OP. It's a Fletcher-class destroyer, and while I loved grinding through the tech tree Fletcher, I'm having a hard time enjoying Black. I want to divide this post into two sections: one covering the visual appearance and another looking at gameplay. I hope that this post gets read seriously instead of having people jump to conclusions and say that Black is OP already.

Section 1

First, the visual appearance. It's just a copy and paste from the Fletcher, with only some changes to the armament. Looking for historical pictures of Black turns up a different main bridge:

Spoiler

0566620.jpg

Note that although this photo is from the early 1950s, this is essentially her WWII fit. Here is a photo of Black after her refit:

Spoiler

0566612.jpg

You can see that the bridge is just like the soon-to-come Chung Mu (the Pan-Asian Fletcher), whereas the pre-modernization Black has an open bridge, but is still nevertheless boxy. This is in huge contrast to the in-game Black with the rounded bridge. Also, the AA armament appears slightly different between in-game Black and the historical photos. If anything, Chung Mu is a more accurate representation of Black than the current in-game Black.

And as for the camo (this applies to Flint as well), it would be nice to have a secondary camo option, like we have with Missouri, to switch out the very albino-looking camo for something more historical, say USN type 22 camo or even just a fresh and clean coating of navy grey similar to the exclusive Hood single-color camo option.

Section 2

Now, I want to move on to the gameplay of Black. I feel forced to use the radar consumable; otherwise, I'm essentially playing a slightly nerfed Fletcher if I use either defensive fire or speed boost. Base ship speed is 35 knots (which is historical), slower than Fletcher's 36.5 knots (which is also historically representative of the Fletcher-class design). The AA rating is at 41, which is worse than Fletcher at 43. And finally, Black's torpedoes trade a lot of speed (from 66 down to 43, or -35%) for some increase to damage (up to 21600 from 19033, or +13.5%) and range (up to 13.7 from 10.5, or +30%), though I prefer Fletcher's torpedoes by far, since the damage increase is only marginal, the drop in speed is very significant, and torpedoes are rarely used at max range.

So if I were to use defensive fire or speed boost instead of radar on Black, I am playing a nerfed Fletcher. This places Black's "gimmick" in its radar, just like Flint's "gimmick" coming from Atlanta is losing the two wing turrets for better torpedoes, slightly better close-range AA, and exchanging radar for smoke. Considering that Black is a nerfed Fletcher when not using radar, I think that the radar consumable should be given its own slot. I think then Fletcher and Black will be like Atlanta and Flint. Additionally, I think that Black's radar is too far-reaching and too short-lived. I think that bumping it from 7.5km down to 6.5km, or even 6km, while increasing its duration up to 30 seconds or even 35 seconds (to match Baltimore's radar duration). Black's rival should be Z-46, where the hydro has a significantly longer duration and it can spot torpedoes but a shorter reach than the radar.

These are my two gameplay suggestions for Black. Put the radar consumable in its own slot and/or increase the duration while reducing the range. I know that people like to scream that Black is OP, but it really isn't. The weaknesses are pretty glaring when compared to FletcherFlint has a significantly higher win rate in solo play and 2-person divisions, while Black has only a very marginally higher win rate in 3-person divisions. But when you consider that Black is harder to obtain and when you make the assumption that higher skilled players are playing Black, then it shows that Black is weaker than Flint relatively and that there is a case for argument to give Black some very minor improvements. I consider Flint to be a good benchmark for a ranked reward ship, and I find Black to fall slightly short of this benchmark.

I hope that you took the time to read through this post. My aim here is to not ask for an I-win ship. Like I said, I just think that Black is not meeting the benchmark for a ranked reward ship set by Flint, a ship which I find to be fun and offers something slightly different from her sister ship while remaining balanced.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,828 battles

You want them to BUFF an already OP reward ship. Good luck with that. (last seen leaving the building, laughing hysterically)

[SF-3]
Members
3,177 posts
8,169 battles
On 11/27/2017 at 8:03 AM, Umikami said:

You want them to BUFF an already OP reward ship. Good luck with that. (last seen leaving the building, laughing hysterically)

I'm not surprised that someone walked in here and replied after having only read the title. Please explain to me why you think Black is OP, I've already explained why I think she needs a few quality of life improvements.

You don't have Black, so you just have the common opinion that's been fed to you by the masses and/or certain famous YouTubers. I have experience in Black, Fletcher, and Z-46, and of these three ships, I fear Z-46 the most and Black the least. Z-46 is the most potent anti-DD DD at tier 9. Looking at my stats, Z-46 leads in win rate, K/D, ship kill rate, survival rate, main battery accuracy, and torpedo accuracy, followed by Fletcher in all of these same categories, and then Black is at the bottom.

I will kindly ask you to read my entire post. I explain how Black is a nerfed Fletcher which is forced to use radar instead of engine boost or defensive fire, otherwise it is 100% a nerfed Fletcher. Ship speed and torpedo speed are much slower than Fletcher's, which are pretty major. The radar only lasts for 20 seconds, and good luck hitting a maneuvering DD that's running away from you at ranges greater than 6.5km. Not only will it be able to escape due to faster speed with most if its health intact thanks to the poor accuracy on USN 127mm, it will be able to hunt you down since you've no hope of outrunning any gun boat DD (excluding Akizuki, which is a tier 8, and even then, it has engine boost so it can temporarily out run you). Black's radar reaches out to 7.5km but I have no use for it beyond 6.5km; I have it as a rule that I never engage other DDs beyond my USN DD's concealment range, because you are at a disadvantage if you are the chaser with those rainbow arcs.

I will gladly exchange some radar range for some radar duration, say 6km radar with 30 second duration. This will make Black as competitive as Z-46, and it will turn Black into a tier 9 Z-52, except of course with the inability to detect torpedoes and with a much shorter duration.

Furthermore, Black's torpedoes are far inferior to Fletcher's torpedoes. They only do marginally more damage at the cost of a significant speed reduction, and the range increase on Black's torpedoes is hardly worth anything considering the amount of speed the torpedoes give up.

And last but not least, Black has a lower win rate that Flint, despite the fact that the population that owns Black has a higher skill level than the population that owns Flint. If Black was on the same power level as Flint (and I believe that Flint is a very nicely balanced and fun reward ship wort three rank 1s), then we should see a decently higher win rate on Black, except that it isn't. As it is right now, Black is not worth five rank 1s. Fletcher is just hands down better, and Z-46 is the ultimate DD hunter at tier 9.

I really wish that people would open up their eyes, stop eating the "propaganda" that Black is OP, and realize that it is essentially a nerfed Fletcher. Black is simply not fun to play. If you want a fun tier 9 gun boat, Fletcher and Z-46 are just simply better (and I have no experience with Udaloi or Tashkent, so I can't say anything about them, but they aren't knife fighters like the USN and KM DDs).

Again, I have thoroughly explained why I think Black needs some improvements (nowhere do I say that she needs some sweeping buffs, but just some tweaks to her radar, and/or putting radar in its own consumable slot so I don't have to give up speed boost or defensive fire, a 20-second radar plus the rest of the downsides to Black will make her on par with Fletcher), so I would like to hear your detailed reasoning why you still think that Black is OP.

Edited by Peregrinas

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,828 battles
5 hours ago, Peregrinas said:

Black is a nerfed Fletcher which is forced to use radar

This has got to be my favorite line in your post; "forced to use radar". I'm dyin', literally just laughing myself to death. Best troll post of 2017!

[ARRGG]
Members
157 posts
6,923 battles

(I'm not surprised that someone walked in here and replied after having only read the title. Please explain to me why you think Black is OP, I've already explained why I think she needs a few quality of life improvements.)

This is why I do not bother with serious and thoughtful discussions on WOWs forum.