Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
buzz_bomb

Captain skills from Kagero to Shima & Kamikaze

9 comments in this topic

buzz_bomb    0

Right now I have a 14 point captain (about 30K xp for the 15 pt captain) on my Kagero. I have the following skills:

1. Priority Target, Preventative main

2. Adrenaline Rush, Last stand

3. Torpedo Armament Exp

4. Concealment Exp

Total 13 points used 

I also have the torpedo reload module in place of smoke. I use my Kagero as a torp boat/scouting/neing stealthy and avoiding the use of my guns as much as possible. My plan for my Kagero captain is to take him to the Shima. For the moment after reading some review on RPF I am thinking of changing my captain skill line to replace Preventative main and AR and use my 1 remaining point to get RPF. I wanted to get people's advice on doing that. I am open to getting that 15 points if there is something dramatically different someone thinks is important. For some consideration as well I tend to also play quite often with my Kamikaze so I would like any skills I take to complement the Kami but it is of secondary importance but I think very possible since both boats play in a similar way. What other skills should I be looking at after 15 points? 

BlailBlerg    247

PT or PM are good. 

LS

TAE

CE

RF should be 14pts. 

Only after that go AR 16

And last 3 maybe SE. Helps you survive longer to ninja. No point in buffing reload, your guns are useless. 

Muki41    40

Honestly you don't need Priority target, and you'll want Preventative maintenance when you get the torpedo tube module that increases the reload rate

Survivability expert always been a fan for dds since you'll get focus fire alot

RPF While I dislike it since it tells the closest target your still around them, allowing for a smart player to just triangulate your location it is very useful for the opening engagement to give a reading where the enemy will be coming from if your looking to avoid or engage in a fight

This is what I run with my Shimakaze

Spoiler

d1urONZ.png

I take EM cause the Shimakaze turrets turn like a battleship and BFT cause Planes like to sit on you very often so might as well benefit from it

SSE only really taken since I often have cruisers following me in the opening cap engagement so smoke for them plus it was my last two points

Many people say IJN dd guns are terrible, but when you get to the Yugumo and Shimakaze there usable, and if your good at kiting and dodging you can gun down a Gearing provided he not within 8km of you

SoftAndCute    68
34 minutes ago, buzz_bomb said:

1. Priority Target, Preventative main

You might want to swap out Priority Target for something more useful later once you earn more points.

Since you are a torpedo boat DD, everybody will shoot at you once you are spotted so you don't need to care about how many people are targeting you.

SgtSpud    97
5 minutes ago, SoftAndCute said:

You might want to swap out Priority Target for something more useful later once you earn more points.

Since you are a torpedo boat DD, everybody will shoot at you once you are spotted so you don't need to care about how many people are targeting you.

This.

SgtSpud    97

Here is the build I use, Folks will beat me up for this but I'm not afraid to get into a gunfight with this build. Sierra mike gives me a base speed of 41 knots without speed boost and 4 guns in the stern with a range of 11.4k means I can keep firing while torps are on cool down . You have to be tricky with your torps because they have such terrible concealment at 1.7k, I use the 12km torps.

SE gives me a little more than 22,000 HP, just a little less than a Gearing.

shima.JPG

shima1.JPG

IJN guns also seem to hit harder than many others and I have been able to chase off other DDs that expect me to run by using aggressive tactics. (of course this doesn't always work ;)

SoftAndCute    68
39 minutes ago, SgtSpud said:

Here is the build I use, Folks will beat me up for this but I'm not afraid to get into a gunfight with this build. Sierra mike gives me a base speed of 41 knots without speed boost and 4 guns in the stern with a range of 11.4k means I can keep firing while torps are on cool down . You have to be tricky with your torps because they have such terrible concealment at 1.7k, I use the 12km torps.

SE gives me a little more than 22,000 HP, just a little less than a Gearing.

shima.JPG

shima1.JPG

IJN guns also seem to hit harder than many others and I have been able to chase off other DDs that expect me to run by using aggressive tactics. (of course this doesn't always work ;)

I'd have to admit BFT is deceptively quite effective especially with Yugumo, which can gun down another DD. This is a very nice hybrid built for gun-torp boat.

Always  remember to rotate guns towards enemy even when you are going for a torpedo run.

geser98    100
8 hours ago, buzz_bomb said:

For the moment after reading some review on RPF I am thinking of changing my captain skill line to replace Preventative main and AR and use my 1 remaining point to get RPF.

It's a try-hard skill, meaning that it's great if you're into min-maxing your capabilities, but it doesn't provide enough to justify 4 points until you have other skills to supplement it. I have a 18 point captain and i still struggle to justify the cost.

On my Yugumo I have a setup similar to what SgtSpud uses, with only BFT removed for AR, since I have one point less. I use Torp Reload build and the idea for this skill set-up for me is to have good gun performance, even though i use them very rarely, but when I do have to use them they must perform. 

Camo68    469

Radio location is very valuable in the higher tier IJN Torp boats particularly if you are running the TRB upgrade.

It enables you to avoid being ambushed by DDs and also gives good info to help you position your runs when ships aren't spotted.  It is also surprisingly good to shoot some speculative torps off when going into cap. I have sunk many unsuspecting DDs that way.

Ultimately it is up to you what best benefits your play style but if stealth is uppermost I would definitely recommend getting it with your 14th point.

My Yugumo & Shima captain builds:

v7O33FG.jpg

I took in order

1. PT
  2. LS
  3. TAE
  4. CE
  5. RL
  6. AR
  7. SE

Sign in to follow this