You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Svetgar

Good tech tree premiums to get

53 comments in this topic

Members
26 posts
1,336 battles

I have a bunch of doubloons and I see there is a good sale on the tech tree ships. Which are good ones?

I bought the dunkerque, and I love it. My very first game in it was the best game I've ever played.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,946 posts
12,460 battles

What do you mean by 'good'? Can-carry, or fun-to-play?

Anyways, here's a list of recommendations from me:

Atago. IJN T8 cruiser. Can carry, is fun to play.

Arizona. USN T6 battleship. Can carry. Is fun to play if you can stand slow ships that get uptiered a lot.

Molotov. Ru T6 cruiser. Is fun to play, fantastic guns on a soft cruiser.

Tirpitz. T8 De battleship. Can carry, if top tier. Is fun to play. Has torpeedus.

Scharnhorst, T7 De battleship. Can carry, if top tier. Very fun to play. Has torpeedus.

Warspite: RN T6 battleship. Got powercreeped a bit, still fun to play. Best guns in tier.

• Cool 2

[RIPQP]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Supertester
725 posts
7,647 battles

I'd recommend against buying a premium, given your low battle count. However, if you insist, then the Scharnhorst or Atago are good options. 

[HINON]
Supertester
18,946 posts
12,460 battles
2 minutes ago, _Fantomex_ said:

I'd recommend against buying a premium, given your low battle count.

^ that is a very good point.

My recommendations in this case would be also based on ease-of-play, which removes Atago and Molotov from the list as they aren't easy to play.

[OPEC]
Members
926 posts
5,108 battles

Scharnhorst was one of my first premiums (it is a lot of fun), but I am just now starting to realize it's full potential after logging 3,000 (total) games.  Arizona and Warspite are other good mid-tier options.  Atago is trickier because it has a huge citadel and does not have notable range on its guns.   You are going to get deleted in it if you are not careful.  At tier 8, Tirpitz is a lot more forgiving.

Edited by delp5117

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles
16 minutes ago, Lert said:

Molotov. Ru T6 cruiser. Is fun to play, fantastic guns on a soft cruiser.

I'd like to add to what @Lert mentioned here. The guns are equivalent to the T9 cruiser guns of the Soviet line,(DM Donskoi I presume?)

[GLF]
Beta Testers
520 posts
10,386 battles

Part of the problem is there are not too many tier 4,and 5 premiums, but if Murmansk (T5 CL) is still available, it might be a nice place to start. Ishizuchi (T4 BC)( wrong spelling) would also be a good place to start.

[INTEL]
Members
6,629 posts
25,331 battles
7 minutes ago, Silver_kun said:

I'd like to add to what @Lert mentioned here. The guns are equivalent to the T9 cruiser guns of the Soviet line,(DM Donskoi I presume?)

Indeed. Molotov has Donskoi's guns (T9) on a slightly upgraded Kirov (T5) squishy hull. Not a ship for beginners.

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles
1 minute ago, ArcherDude said:

Ishizuchi (T4 BC)( wrong spelling).

Don't worry lol. The spelling is correct( I also cross-checked, just in case).

You nailed it! :Smile_Default:

[TF57]
Members
1,239 posts
3,920 battles

there are not too many tier 4,and 5 premiums, but if Murmansk (T5 CL) is still available, it might be a nice place to start. Ishizuchi (T4 BC)( wrong spelling) would also be a good place to start.

Economically, T4-5 premiums are not worthwhile. 

Gameplay-wise, there are better normal tech-tree options.

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles
Just now, alexf24 said:

Indeed. Molotov has Donskoi's guns (T9) on a slightly upgraded Kirov (T5) squishy hull. Not a ship for beginners.

That is true, It does have a high skill floor, Thanks for confirming the fact also :p.

[LOS]
Members
556 posts
7,576 battles

Don't listen to anyone who says, "don't buy this or that...you don't have enough games"   Bull-dookey!  Sounds like a mean, embittered old person.   If you have money and time, buy what you want...you'll learn quick enough!

PS....don't forget, it's a game :Smile_great:

• Cool 1

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,713 posts
9,473 battles
3 minutes ago, Sinton said:

Don't listen to anyone who says, "don't buy this or that...you don't have enough games"   Bull-dookey!  Sounds like a mean, embittered old person.   If you have money and time, buy what you want...you'll learn quick enough!

You are in my BEST Friend list already .....

I can credit grind going against these players

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,298 battles
1 hour ago, _Fantomex_ said:

I'd recommend against buying a premium, given your low battle count. However, if you insist, then the Scharnhorst or Atago are good options. 

I'd suggest that lower battle count players should look at buying something closer to a tier 5 premium ship, rather than higher tier premiums.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,298 battles
26 minutes ago, Sinton said:

PS....don't forget, it's a game :Smile_great:

No, it's a competitive game. And buying a high tier premium when you barely know what you're doing is very selfish and insulting to your fellow team mates.

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
498 posts
4,114 battles

Scharnhorst is crazy fun. Play it like a battleship when you are top tier and like a cruiser when you are bottom tier, it has the speed for it. I think it is a good ship to learn the game in, though I will say up front that I am rather new myself.

Texas is another good one, but I don't know if you can buy it with doubloons.

[PVE]
Members
1,225 posts
4,744 battles
1 hour ago, Silver_kun said:

That is true, It does have a high skill floor, Thanks for confirming the fact also :p.

Molotov and Atago were my first two premiums and I wasn't ready for either at the time. Atago is easier to play but needs a high point captain to be effective in Molotov I died a lot very quickly until the concept of kiting sank in.....

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles
2 minutes ago, Jim_Byrnes said:

Molotov and Atago were my first two premiums and I wasn't ready for either at the time. Atago is easier to play but needs a high point captain to be effective in Molotov I died a lot very quickly until the concept of kiting sank in.....

I see, btw do you enjoy the Molotov more or Atago more now since you are accustomed to both?

Members
80 posts
3,045 battles

Ishizuchi is a good low-tier ship for learning the basics of angling and kiting, I think - she's quite soft, but is almost uncatchable when kiting. She also has the advantage of being T4, which is the best lower tier overall (both for balance and matchmaking). If you learn to make Ishi work, you'll understand the basics of most cruiser gameplay, as well as learning the angling you'll need to survive higher-tier BB engagements further down the line (and she can work quite well once you understand her). So if you HAVE to buy a premium now, my vote would be Ishizuchi (and she's dirt cheap, so there's that too). My next choice would be Scharnhorst, but T7 is when things start getting a bit rough for a beginner to jump into.

Members
3,638 posts
13,487 battles
25 minutes ago, MasterDiggs said:

Scharnhorst is crazy fun. Play it like a battleship when you are top tier and like a cruiser when you are bottom tier, it has the speed for it. I think it is a good ship to learn the game in,

This^

IMHO, Scharnhorst is the most versatile BB in the game. And Scharnie's the king of brawlers. At any tier I suggest playing her like a Cruiser, her guns don't pack enough punch for effective long range shooting against BBs. Scharnie is at her best at medium to close range.

However; With only a few battles under your belt, don't buy a tier 7 Premium and jump right into Randoms with it, you'll get you butt handed to you most ricky tik. (I learned that lesson the hard way when I bought my first Premium, Atlanta, when I was only tier 4) Wait until you get to that ship's tier on the tech tree before doing so. You'll have a lot more experience and will do much better.

Edited by ReddNekk

[BLUE_]
Members
385 posts
14,108 battles
2 hours ago, _Fantomex_ said:

Discounts for premium ships available in the tech tree arent that common. So in this case i would open an exception.

Sure due to OPs low amount of battles i would suggest to avoid tier 8 premium ships for now or he will problably just get frustrated, because the enemy players at high tiers will explore almost every mistake shown. And some of the hardest ships to play like Molotov (unbeliavable squishy cruiser), Sims (lacks fire power both in her guns and torpedoes, some experience with USN DDs is needed first), Texas (got powercreeped really hard) and CVs (maybe Saipan is an option to buy if the player already knows how to use manual attacks with planes).

Sure he can buy them to play when he gets more experience in the game.

My suggestions would be Scharnhorst (she's really forgiving), Ishizuchi (she is a low tier BB with a consistent performance), Arizona (slow, but with powerfull and acurate weapons), Dunkerque (already in OPs port), Tirpitz (i remembered about what i just said and the awfull tier 8 MM) and Warspite (slow... in the other hand, personally, the most consistent BB guns at tier 6).

I would like to suggest some cruisers and destroyers, but most of them are BBs. And there are only Katori, Oleg (i don't recommend those 2, since the normal tech tree ships can offer more carry potential AND fun for the player), Atago, Molotov (they aren't easy to play), Sims (it's easy only after the player gets used to USN DDs), Albany and Indianapolis (aren't discounted, aslo Indianapolis is very similar to Pensacola, but with radar) available.

Edited by Cpt_JM_Nascimento

Members
3,554 posts
6,867 battles
2 hours ago, ArcherDude said:

but if Murmansk (T5 CL) is still available,

Murmansk used to be "ach ja" but now it's "ich don't think so."

Even tho she is a challenge I would go for the Atago and get good on her in Coop. Very versatile ship with stealth, good guns, torps and very sexy lines. She is a beautiful ship.

[RKN]
Beta Testers
938 posts
8,758 battles
2 hours ago, _Fantomex_ said:

There is wisdom in what you say, but I wouldn’t discourage the OP from buying one if they wanted one. True they will get wrecked with the higher tiered ships, but he could keep them in port until he works his way up. That’s what I did with Sims.

[LEGIT]
Beta Testers
297 posts
15,772 battles

Buy Scharnhorst and watch some videos like the one below before playing it. Atago is also good but Scharnhorst will be more forgiving when you make a mistake.