You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LittleWhiteMouse

Mouse's Guide to Torpedo Detection Consumables, Mods & Skills

22 comments in this topic

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,032 posts
7,609 battles

Pan Asian destroyers are on their way and with them comes the dreaded (for some) inclusion of Deepwater torpedoes.  These torpedoes cut the reaction time you have to respond to them by half.  As a result, skills, modules and consumables that increase the detection range of these torpedoes becomes paramount.  Currently, there are one of each:

• SKILL:  Vigilance - increases the range torpedoes are spotted by 25%.  Tier 3 commander's skill.
  • CONSUMABLE:  Hydroacoustic search - increases the range torpedoes are spotted to a fixed distance (between 2.52km and 4.02km).  Available at tiers 4+ on select vessels.
  • UPGRADE:  Target Acquisition Modification 1 - increases the range torpedoes are spotted by 20%.  Available at tiers 8+ (with the exception of Belfast and Arkansas Beta who get it earlier).

So here's the magic question:  DO THESE STACK?
The answer is:  Kinda.  Vigilance & TAM1 stack together.  However, with Hydro active, only Vigilance adds to the range.  TAM1 does not.

1CUdlxl.gif
Test conducted with a Zao being fired upon by a LongJiang with Deepwater torpedoes with a 1.1km detection range.

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse
  • Cool 17

[YAN]
Members
1,636 posts
7,464 battles
9 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

UPGRADE:  Target Acquisition Modification 1 - increases the range torpedoes are spotted by 20%.  Available at tiers 9+ (with the exception of Atago, Belfast Enterprise and Arkansas Beta who get it earlier).

This mod is available all ships at T8+ with the exception of Belfast which gets it at 7, your confusing it for the reload mod.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,903 posts
12,435 battles

You need to hire someone better able to repeat his own positioning for these tests; those torps are all over the place.

• Cool 3

[WG-CC]
9,032 posts
7,609 battles
7 minutes ago, Akeno017 said:

This mod is available all ships at T8+ with the exception of Belfast which gets it at 7, your confusing it for the reload mod.

Yep, corrected before I published to ShipComrade.  Thanks!  Also a special thanks to Lert for shooting fish at me for half an hour this morning to test this out.

[ARMDG]
WoWS Wiki Editor
794 posts

Gotta love the ability to combo up different perks; oh the choices! 

[YAN]
Members
1,636 posts
7,464 battles
14 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Yep, corrected before I published to ShipComrade.  Thanks!  Also a special thanks to Lert for shooting fish at me for half an hour this morning to test this out.

No problem, the information is pretty useful so i'll thank you for that.

[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
14,179 battles

lool pretty soon stealth torps will be done all it takes is 2 or 3 of those upgrades and some teamwork only way you gonna get torp hits is by 3 DD cross drops and just flooding zones with torps no skills at all

[WG-CC]
9,032 posts
7,609 battles

For those wondering, these skills have no effect on the detection range your aircraft have for spotting torpedoes.

5sHRqCZ.gif

• Cool 1

[LEGIT]
Beta Testers
297 posts
15,745 battles
9 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

For those wondering, these skills have no effect on the detection range your aircraft have for spotting torpedoes.

5sHRqCZ.gif

So CV can play an important role to spot those deep water torps for his/her fleet since I heard it's rather difficult to dodge these torps by the time they are visible.  

[ARGSY]
Members
5,722 posts
3,894 battles

DD's with hydro are going to be valuable assets, it would seem.

Many thanks for this, LWM and Lert.

[TOG]
Members
2,346 posts
14,574 battles

The issue I have TAM1 is the 20% spotting debuff. If you're a Yamato or a Kii, it's not going to make a difference.   For a Conqueror, it's going to be an issue if you fight 10-15 km away. KM BB's have hydro and stack it Vigilance, it's good enough.

[AR]
[AR]
Members
310 posts
11,615 battles

The damage on those torps should be drastically reduced. From Khab, I already have a taste of what is too come.. sort of. Khabs torps are the only electric torps in the game, giving them a detect range of 0.6km. These DW torps will have a detect range of 0.8km from what I've read. There have been instance where I can torp away from an unseen location with Khab and the enemy fails to react at all. This can be done against pursuers due to the slow movement speed of the Khab torps. Even with against Sims with its 1.0km detect on the torps can be hard to react against. I foreshadow something being done to nerf these things not too long after they are released. Either they are made very slow, or reduction in damage to compensate for the low detect. Or a separate state is given for heavy ship torpedo bulges that give additional damage reduction vs DW torps.

Also, do these things ONLY hit BBs and heavy Cruisers or just anything  that is not a DD?

[WG-CC]
9,032 posts
7,609 battles
25 minutes ago, Aiser50 said:

The damage on those torps should be drastically reduced. From Khab, I already have a taste of what is too come.. sort of. Khabs torps are the only electric torps in the game, giving them a detect range of 0.6km. These DW torps will have a detect range of 0.8km from what I've read. There have been instance where I can torp away from an unseen location with Khab and the enemy fails to react at all. This can be done against pursuers due to the slow movement speed of the Khab torps. Even with against Sims with its 1.0km detect on the torps can be hard to react against. I foreshadow something being done to nerf these things not too long after they are released. Either they are made very slow, or reduction in damage to compensate for the low detect. Or a separate state is given for heavy ship torpedo bulges that give additional damage reduction vs DW torps.

Also, do these things ONLY hit BBs and heavy Cruisers or just anything  that is not a DD?

Currently, the Pan Asian Deepwater torpedoes may affect any class with the exception of a destroyer.  I haven't found any exceptions yet.

Keep in mind, the idea with these torpedoes is two-fold.  It's meant to harm battleships but indirectly buff destroyers.  If you find yourself in your DD and the only enemy destroyer is Pan Asian, you now know that you're (mostly) safe from eating torpedoes if you want to camp smoke.

Also, Deepwater torpedoes do not mitigate torpedo defense.  Their damage is reduced like any other fish when they strike amidships against a protected warship.

[RIPQP]
Members
3,705 posts
14,464 battles

No love for the catapult fighter and the spotting aircraft? Those are also consumables that spot torpedoes.

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
350 posts
9,142 battles

Would also like to see exactly how torpedo spotting with the planes work

[TOG]
Members
2,346 posts
14,574 battles
3 hours ago, Muki41 said:

Would also like to see exactly how torpedo spotting with the planes work

Spotter aircraft orbit 3-4 km from the ship. They can detect torpedoes if the fly over them.  

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
350 posts
9,142 battles

1 hour ago, Bill_Halsey said:

Spotter aircraft orbit 3-4 km from the ship. They can detect torpedoes if the fly over them.  

You sure it has to directly over or just have to be within the detection range of the torp? Had torps pop up before the plane flew over them also it orbits further out and weird orbit patterns when you kill the target with them....

[TOG]
Members
2,346 posts
14,574 battles

Wiki says when it flies over them. It can also be as you said. Or if another ship detected them. Once detected, the torpedoes stay detected.

[WG-CC]
9,032 posts
7,609 battles
2 hours ago, Muki41 said:

You sure it has to directly over or just have to be within the detection range of the torp? Had torps pop up before the plane flew over them also it orbits further out and weird orbit patterns when you kill the target with them....

It's the detection range of the torpedoes.