You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DeadMeat_015

1" Flintlock and the broken shoulder

40 comments in this topic

[FOXEH]
Members
3,320 posts
11,830 battles

Yeah, ouch! Quite a bit of abuse your shoulder takes from any gun. Slo-mo really emphasizes it.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
Members
6,037 posts
8,580 battles

This is why soldiers of the past were burly men rather than petite women. To give that girl credit though, she's a trooper.

[LEGIT]
Beta Testers
297 posts
15,735 battles

When I read your title "Flintlock and the broken shoulder",  I thought WG locked your ship USS Flint in your account from playing so you went and punch one of their employee and broke his shoulder.

Anyway, it's a really cool video and hope whoever in the video recovered. Is this some sort of weapon training or testing?

• Cool 1

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
1,929 posts

No if  that's the rifle it appears to be it was an experimental weapon(light artillery piece) firing a three pound projectile filled with black powder and meant to be fired by a man firing prone with two others holding him down........................Yup not a weapon I'd wanna fire even once   0_o

[PSP]
Members
6,037 posts
8,580 battles
1 hour ago, shadowsrmine said:

No if  that's the rifle it appears to be it was an experimental weapon(light artillery piece) firing a three pound projectile filled with black powder and meant to be fired by a man firing prone with two others holding him down........................Yup not a weapon I'd wanna fire even once   0_o

That's not an experimental weapon, that's a wall gun. They were used on the ramparts of castles and walled cities for three hundred years.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
1,929 posts

The article I saw it in American Rifleman said it was brought out tried and dropped almost immediately(in the late 1800's) which at least in my world qualifies it for an failed experimental status......................................And it still on my top ten of weapon's you'd have to pay me lot's of money to get me to fire it 0_o

Edited by shadowsrmine

[PSP]
Members
6,037 posts
8,580 battles
3 hours ago, shadowsrmine said:

still on my top ten of weapon's you'd have to pay me lot's of money to get me to fire it 0_o

I have a 12 gauge with a 3 1/2 inch chamber and I'm hesitant to fire anything bigger than 3 inch shells in it. I fired a 10 gauge double-barrel once and that was enough for me and big guns that kick. I'm a wimp where recoil is concerned. My M16 didn't kick at all and even the .50s I shot had little recoil, as they weighed over a hundred pounds with the tripod. I shot a .30-06 once and afterwards had a lot more respect for my Dad and uncles who were issued M1s. Even the .303 SMLE jungle carbine that my great uncle brought back from who knows where kicks like a mule.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
1,929 posts

In this case not only would kick like  :etc_swear:   But  with a gun that big and that old there's a :etc_swear:  good chance of it blowing up on you and would hurt like............................   >_<

Edited by shadowsrmine
  • Cool 1

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
1,929 posts
2 minutes ago, shadowsrmine said:

In this case not only would kick like  :etc_swear:   But  with a gun that big and that old there's a :etc_swear:  good chance of it blowing up on you and would hurt like............................   >_<

OTH  think about whatever's on the receiving end   o_O

• Cool 1

[PSP]
Members
6,037 posts
8,580 battles
1 hour ago, shadowsrmine said:

OTH  think about whatever's on the receiving end   o_O

One advantage of wall guns was their long range and accuracy, neither of which the opposing army had in their standard service rifles. They were probably used mainly to harass artillery units so they they couldn't just set up and siege you from just anywhere. 

I am likewise furnishing myself with four-ounced rifle-amusettes, which will carry an infernal distance; the two-ounced hit a half sheet of paper 500 yards distance.” -- General Charles Lee, Revolutionary War.

From the weight of the projectiles mentioned, these rifles were probably from .75 to 1 inch in bore diameter.

Edit: In fact, the 4-ounce rifle would be a 4 bore (1.053-inch (26.7 mm)).

Edited by Snargfargle

[PSP]
Members
6,037 posts
8,580 battles

A four-ounce muzzle loading rifle would have a muzzle energy equivalent to a modern "elephant gun."

Energy of 5,597 foot-pounds for a 1750 grain (four ounce) bullet at 1200 fps.

.500 Nitro Express 5850 foot pounds.

130328b_amusettes.jpg

For comparison, that pistol is the standard .69 caliber (that's exactly the muzzle diameter of a 14 gauge shotgun). You could cut off its handle and just about stuff that entire pistol down the barrel of the rifle-amusette. 

Edited by Snargfargle

[KP]
Members
1,985 posts
18,345 battles
31 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

One advantage of wall guns was their long range and accuracy, neither of which the opposing army had in their standard service rifles. They were probably used mainly to harass artillery units so they they couldn't just set up and siege you from just anywhere. 

I am likewise furnishing myself with four-ounced rifle-amusettes, which will carry an infernal distance; the two-ounced hit a half sheet of paper 500 yards distance.” -- General Charles Lee, Revolutionary War.

From the weight of the projectiles mentioned, these rifles were probably from .75 to 1 inch in bore diameter.

Bannerman's was selling these up until the 1950's the reprint of there catalogs has all kinds of info on these.

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
1,929 posts
23 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

The rifle/gun in the article I saw said in addition to shooting a three pound projectile also had a half pound black powder charge inside the projectile..................Ouch I'll say  whatever was on the receiving end of that (if it hit )didn't live long  PS as I recall it was tried out by the British against the Afghani tribes people and not only does that seem like overkill but it sounds like it would have been a very awkward weapon to load fire and reload against these people too awkward

• Cool 1

[PSP]
Members
6,037 posts
8,580 battles
1 minute ago, IronMike11B4O said:

Bannerman's was selling these up until the 1950's the reprint of there catalogs has all kinds of info on these.

I wish I'd have had some money back in the 60s when you could have bought all sorts of neat guns for chump change. I remember when they were selling surplus .30 carbines for $16.00 each. However I was only making ten dollars a day back then driving farm equipment for 12 hours, so even $16 was a lot of money.  

[KP]
Members
1,985 posts
18,345 battles
1 minute ago, Snargfargle said:

I wish I'd have had some money back in the 60s when you could have bought all sorts of neat guns for chump change. I remember when they were selling surplus .30 carbines for $16.00 each. However I was only making ten dollars a day back then driving farm equipment for 12 hours, so even $16 was a lot of money.  

There was another big surplus outfit out of Philly if I recall right that had a ton of this stuff. The most unique was a Moroccan Snapchaunce rifle. Weird but practical with a super long barrel like this one.

[PSP]
Members
6,037 posts
8,580 battles
1 minute ago, IronMike11B4O said:

There was another big surplus outfit out of Philly if I recall right that had a ton of this stuff. The most unique was a Moroccan Snapchaunce rifle. Weird but practical with a super long barrel like this one.

Used to be that you could get a pretty good deal on firearms at estate sales and the like. However, with the advent of the Internet even "little old grandmas" can easily look up a weapon's value. The last sale I went to had a nice clean Winchester 1897 shotgun. It went for well over $600.

[PSP]
Members
6,037 posts
8,580 battles
2 minutes ago, Freddie_Creamer said:

All you need is a trusty 2-Bore rifle.

When I was a kid, Ian's job would have been my dream job. I still think his channel is my favorite on YouTube.

[KP]
Members
1,985 posts
18,345 battles
1 minute ago, Snargfargle said:

Used to be that you could get a pretty good deal on firearms at estate sales and the like. However, with the advent of the Internet even "little old grandmas" can easily look up a weapon's value. The last sale I went to had a nice clean Winchester 1897 shotgun. It went for well over $600.

Wow I wonder how much my model 97 is worth I paid $60 for it 25 years ago.

Members
689 posts
1,107 battles
2 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I want to get my hands on an 1897. I was looking to get the military version.

[PSP]
Members
6,037 posts
8,580 battles
4 minutes ago, IronMike11B4O said:

Wow I wonder how much my model 97 is worth I paid $60 for it 25 years ago.

Today, they are going from $500 to well over $1000, depending on condition and sub-model rarity.

Edit: I notice that some people are asking $5000 for one. I don't think that they would ever get that much but it does show that they have increased in value.

Edited by Snargfargle