You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Theodosivs_Imperator

Atago: where have you been all my life?

27 comments in this topic

Members
80 posts
3,045 battles

So I was kind of bummed by the lackluster sales like everyone else, but I found myself  looking hard at the Atago. I've wanted high end cruiser and IJN trainers for a while, and the Prinz Eugen and Kii just didn't do anything for me (especially since Eugen is a tech tree duplicate in addition to being mediocre, and Kii is an ugly never-would-have-been BB). So on a whim I took advantage of the doubloons discount to pick up Atago. I didn't expect that much from her - I regularly devstrike them in my MO and 'Bama when they get stupid and try to dump torpedoes into caps - but I figured why not give her a shot. 

Man, I am glad I did. Atago is like someone took my favorite T5, Furutaka, and fed it and got it wet after midnight - it's the Furrytaco on steroids. She zips around at 37kts with speed flag, and chases down and bullies DDs and taking their lunch money with her laser guns. And I don't even have CE yet! 

If you like the Furrytaco, Atago is an amazing boat and a great buy at her tech tree price. I'm rather disappointed I didn't get her sooner! 

• Cool 4

[MKF]
Members
399 posts
14,881 battles

If you take advantage of its stealth and go full conceal you can really catch people off-guard with it. If you know how to play high tier cruisers it's a beast

[LOS]
Members
556 posts
7,587 battles

My Atago has so ruined me for Tech tree Cruiser play.  For me, it's near perfect in balance giving me all the joys of DD, CA/CL and BB's .. no other boat comes close to that.

[RIPQP]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Supertester
725 posts
7,647 battles

The Atago is a great example of a well-balanced ship. She is one of the oldest premiums in-game and she hasn't changed much since her debut, but she's still quite strong. 

• Cool 1

[PSP]
Members
6,042 posts
8,585 battles

I won the ARP Takao in a contest. It became my most-played ship. I probably hit more with its torpedoes than I do with any other ship that has torpedoes. Players seem to forget just how many torpedoes (16) an Atago/Takao actually has, that's half as many more than a Fletcher can load.

[TXP]
Members
657 posts
10,279 battles

I have a full conceal 9.4 km range ARP version and love it in Tier 7-9 battles, not very effective against Neptune and Zao and Minotaur, when you have to play almost coward like (T8-10). But in T7-9, very good ship.

Edited by Ericson38

[-1]
Beta Testers
1,802 posts
18,754 battles

I brought the Atago when it first came out two years ago and don't regret doing so  

[HINON]
Supertester
18,964 posts
12,479 battles

Atago is everything Hood dreams of being: Big, fast, beautiful, comfortable and dangerous.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
392 posts
3,394 battles

Atago is one of my most played ship, been sailing her since the very first days of WoWs. But the Geman cruiser playstyle (stay at max range and pepper everything with fast RoF guns) ruined my experience with Atago.

Not even sure how I should play Atago anymore. Full concealment, take quick shots, disappear when being targeted, then pop up again when no one is shotting at you?

Top Atago players are dealing upward 80k dmg per game, mine is only 60k. How can I improve?

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

I have had Atago for a long time. One of my personal favorite ships.

[MKF]
Members
399 posts
14,881 battles
9 minutes ago, theanhtb said:

Atago is one of my most played ship, been sailing her since the very first days of WoWs. But the Geman cruiser playstyle (stay at max range and pepper everything with fast RoF guns) ruined my experience with Atago.

Not even sure how I should play Atago anymore. Full concealment, take quick shots, disappear when being targeted, then pop up again when no one is shotting at you?

Top Atago players are dealing upward 80k dmg per game, mine is only 60k. How can I improve?

Full conceal for sure and the rest is situational... Have a chance to ambush a DD and nuke him with HE? Go for it. Cruiser is broadside at 10 km and doesn't know you're there? Drill him with AP. Lots of BBs? Kite and make them burn. One advantage of this ship is it can be very flexible 

[-K-]
Members
5,086 posts
8,967 battles
1 hour ago, _Fantomex_ said:

The Atago is a great example of a well-balanced ship. She is one of the oldest premiums in-game and she hasn't changed much since her debut, but she's still quite strong. 

Indeed.  She is not markedly overpowered, but is a solid performer and has held up well despite the inevitable power-creep in the game.

1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

I won the ARP Takao in a contest. It became my most-played ship. I probably hit more with its torpedoes than I do with any other ship that has torpedoes. Players seem to forget just how many torpedoes (16) an Atago/Takao actually has, that's half as many more than a Fletcher can load.

Unfortunately, like the free Bismarcks that were given away awhile back, I find many Bismarck and ARP ships to be poorly played.  It's one of the reasons I don't condone allowing all players to be able to earn high tier ships.  They should have to have a restriction on account or tier level to be able to earn them.  A new player who only has a T3 Kolberg to his name will have no idea what to do in a high tier match with those kind of vessels, or any kind of handle on high tier strategy.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,804 posts
2 hours ago, Theodosivs_Imperator said:

So I was kind of bummed by the lackluster sales like everyone else, but I found myself  looking hard at the Atago. I've wanted high end cruiser and IJN trainers for a while, and the Prinz Eugen and Kii just didn't do anything for me (especially since Eugen is a tech tree duplicate in addition to being mediocre, and Kii is an ugly never-would-have-been BB). So on a whim I took advantage of the doubloons discount to pick up Atago. I didn't expect that much from her - I regularly devstrike them in my MO and 'Bama when they get stupid and try to dump torpedoes into caps - but I figured why not give her a shot. 

Man, I am glad I did. Atago is like someone took my favorite T5, Furutaka, and fed it and got it wet after midnight - it's the Furrytaco on steroids. She zips around at 37kts with speed flag, and chases down and bullies DDs and taking their lunch money with her laser guns. And I don't even have CE yet! 

If you like the Furrytaco, Atago is an amazing boat and a great buy at her tech tree price. I'm rather disappointed I didn't get her sooner! 

I never could get the hang of it.

[O7]
Members
595 posts
7,861 battles
1 hour ago, theanhtb said:

Just shoot things and don't die I guess.

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,433 posts
3,413 battles

Atago will get a tiny buff with the torpedo reload time reduction (8s shorter) as part of their standardizing of IJN torpedo reloads, if you find yourself using them extremely often and needing every second possible.

I do wonder how low her torpedo reload times can get after this change.

[PSP]
Members
6,042 posts
8,585 battles
2 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

It's one of the reasons I don't condone allowing all players to be able to earn high tier ships.  They should have to have a restriction on account or tier level to be able to earn them.  A new player who only has a T3 Kolberg to his name will have no idea what to do in a high tier match with those kind of vessels, or any kind of handle on high tier strategy.

If you played enough to reach the tier needed to enter the ARP Takao contest (tier IV ship and account level 10) and then played through the entire thing, you would have gained considerable experience once you received your ship. To complete the entire contest you had to accumulate 111,000 base XP, which for most players is over 100 games. As I recall, the event took me well over a month to complete.

Edited by Snargfargle

Members
3,644 posts
13,502 battles

I got Atago from a Christmas crate last year and she's a sweet CA. She can do pretty decently when bottom tiered, which is more than I can say for my other tier 8s.

Run CE on your Captain and the Concealment mod and you'll have a detectability range of 9.1, which helps a lot for survival. My only complaint about Atago, is the short gun range. (15.8km) However, those guns are pretty accurate and great for flaming those dastardly BBs.

Enjoy you new bote, I'm sure you'll do well with her.  :Smile_great:

Members
80 posts
3,045 battles
1 hour ago, YamatoA150 said:

Atago will get a tiny buff with the torpedo reload time reduction (8s shorter) as part of their standardizing of IJN torpedo reloads, if you find yourself using them extremely often and needing every second possible.

I do wonder how low her torpedo reload times can get after this change.

Assuming 75% damage by the end of the match with AR and TAE on a base reload of 101 seconds (maybe you take some early citadels and hang back for the rest of the game as a torp boat), your reload time would be ~75 seconds (TAE = -10 sec, AR = -15 sec). Dang, so long as you could avoid being spotted, you'd be a monster. :cap_wander_2:

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
366 posts
9,196 battles

Great ship. Took me awhile before I bought her but now my most played ship. You will enjoy:Smile_great:

[HOTMC]
Members
29 posts
4,781 battles

The Atago is an excellent ship indeed! I received this after I already had the Takao from last year's November and December missions; consequently, my Atago is captained by my second Takao captain I received during the December event.

[O7]
Members
595 posts
7,861 battles

Decided to try out the Atago because of this thread, don't see what the rave is about. Played 15 games and only won 7. Bad AA, atrocious DPM, eats citadels at any angle. Can't deal with DDs because of the ridiculous 16 second reload, can't fight BBs because it always eats citadels, can't fight CVs because the AA is worthless. This ship is [edited]terrible.

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles
18 minutes ago, Feminist said:

Decided to try out the Atago because of this thread, don't see what the rave is about. Played 15 games and only won 7. Bad AA, atrocious DPM, eats citadels at any angle. Can't deal with DDs because of the ridiculous 16 second reload, can't fight BBs because it always eats citadels, can't fight CVs because the AA is worthless. This ship is [edited]terrible.

Hello, sir. Your message prompted me to look at the win rate of Atago and I discovered that she has the second highest win rate among tier 8 cruisers (less than a percent lower than Kutuzov's). Why do you think that is?

[O7]
Members
595 posts
7,861 battles
1 minute ago, Elegant_Winter said:

Hello, sir. Your message prompted me to look at the win rate of Atago and I discovered that she has the second highest win rate among tier 8 cruisers (less than a percent lower than Kutuzov's). Why do you think that is?

That doesn't mean much. All the tier 8 cruisers are terrible.