You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CaptGodzillaPig

Ok I am now a firm beliver that a person can carry...

24 comments in this topic

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles

It started with this topic here..   

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/143282-t10-dd-tactics-help/

Then I went back to some BB play, where I had been doing ok, but suddenly I was just seeing teams collapse.  So I went to the 52...win..back to GK..loss..back to 52 win.   My games in the GK were all respectable.  Good BB stats.  But just watched everything collapse.  The games in the 52, after a few pointers from some folks here, I could get bossy and push the other team around.  Even if I got killed, I still pushed them off enough for a difference.  Even the camper cruisers moved in. 

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,372 posts
7,959 battles

I do find that usually, if someone is gonna carry, it's gonna be a DD. They can out spot everything, depending on the DD, even other DD's, many have the ability to stealth torp and can work from hiding, out run the enemy, etc. CV's and BB's are too slow and easily spotted, and one get's shut down if it gets set on fire. Cruisers may have radar and hydro, but a couple torp when hydro is down, their done and they can't spot you otherwise. What few times I carry a team with my mediocre skills, most are in a DD, namely IJN, some in CV's and BB's, maybe a couple in cruisers. The question is usually how hard do you have to carry to win. Even when I'm on a tear, the force is with me or something, and 4 minutes in I have over 100k damage, if the other 11 ships are gone and there's still 7+ to sink, I can't carry that.

[DRACS]
Members
3,350 posts

A lot of people complain about shell RNG, but honestly, the one RNG that frustrates me the most is the potato RNG. I'm a decent player, not great, but better than your average bear ... but I'm nowhere near good enough to carry when my team is folding hard, so sometimes I'll just rage like mad when I see half my team die in the first five minutes of the match and I know there's nothing I can do to salvage this.

That being said, I do find DDs can really clinch it in Domination matches because even if your team is turning into chips, running around and capping and spotting can still occasionally salvage the win due to a strong points advantage from capping. This is something I simply can't do when playing a battleship, for example. If I'm pushing with a half dozen teammates, and then suddenly all of them just die around me, I know I'll be dead soon, no matter how well I angle or aim because BBs can't disengage from heavy focus fire.

And sometimes ... sometimes you find a ship becomes cursed where it *always* pulls the Potato teams. This was my experience with the Fletcher (38% WR after having 62% on Benson). I also had this problem with Warspite, although it suddenly stopped becoming cursed when I got the Hood as then suddenly I kept losing everything in that instead, Granted, because of this *really* piss poor guns, she can't carry to save her life. That ship needs a major buff. Anyways ... problem is that often times you really like a ship and have a good feel for it, but you start the match demoralized because it's difficult to feel good when your last 10 battles in said ship were losses, know what I mean?

Anyways, that was my thought vomit of the hour ...

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
8 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

A lot of people complain about shell RNG, but honestly, the one RNG that frustrates me the most is the potato RNG. I'm a decent player, not great, but better than your average bear ... but I'm nowhere near good enough to carry when my team is folding hard, so sometimes I'll just rage like mad when I see half my team die in the first five minutes of the match and I know there's nothing I can do to salvage this.

That being said, I do find DDs can really clinch it in Domination matches because even if your team is turning into chips, running around and capping and spotting can still occasionally salvage the win due to a strong points advantage from capping. This is something I simply can't do when playing a battleship, for example. If I'm pushing with a half dozen teammates, and then suddenly all of them just die around me, I know I'll be dead soon, no matter how well I angle or aim because BBs can't disengage from heavy focus fire.

And sometimes ... sometimes you find a ship becomes cursed where it *always* pulls the Potato teams. This was my experience with the Fletcher (38% WR after having 62% on Benson). I also had this problem with Warspite, although it suddenly stopped becoming cursed when I got the Hood as then suddenly I kept losing everything in that instead, Granted, because of this *really* piss poor guns, she can't carry to save her life. That ship needs a major buff. Anyways ... problem is that often times you really like a ship and have a good feel for it, but you start the match demoralized because it's difficult to feel good when your last 10 battles in said ship were losses, know what I mean?

Anyways, that was my thought vomit of the hour ...

Kaybe..  your post In that thread probably hit home more to me that any other.  That said. the advice in that thread was golden.  9/10 now.  still rolling.  All DD drivers need to listen up to what was said there. 

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,268 posts

Man I hate to be a dissident on the joy of this and the thread referred to... but the dd tactics discussed are solid for gunboat dds... if you were to speak of DD in general, the tactics don't work as well on non-gunboats. Especially when non-gunboats are up against gunboats.

I find a lot of gunboat dd drivers typically rush caps, for example. If I'm in an IJN with good conceal, say my favored Kami R, I will move towards the cap until I'm close to spotting range. My torps will be ready. And if possible I'll just knife into the edge of the cap to stop the cap from occurring. If the dd comes charging - figuring the most likely place I'll be capping, he'll get four to six torps coming at him at probably five or less kilometers. I've recently been practicing the mantra of "Keeping one in the rack".

The torps will usually sink them or at the very, least scare the poo out of them. Even if they expect it they have three options - stand their ground, attack or retreat. I have boost and smoke. I have better concealment than they have it they're a gunboat. Kagero for example has nearly the same conceal as the Kami R. As you all know, you can mount the torpedo reload - which I and nearly every Kagero I meet will do. Of course that removes the option of smoke but playing the Kagero is like playing a cruiser without smoke - you just have far superior torps with okay guns. 

The gunboat DD will get a whole lot of torps coming your way with the promise of even more in a very, very short time. 

So do you guys feel I'm nuts or there's some validity to what I'm saying - you gots to play stealth dd differently. Happy Thanksgiving!

• Cool 2

[CAST]
Members
1,158 posts
7,163 battles

I have found the same thing.  If I keep getting poor teams, I can sway the game more easily in my DD than I can in my BB.  A good torp volley can really cause havoc with the enemy team, even if you don't hit anything.  And, vision is everything.  If your ships have targets, then they can do damage.  Then you can slip away and change position on the battle field.

[MKF]
Members
399 posts
14,829 battles
2 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

So do you guys feel I'm nuts or there's some validity to what I'm saying - you gots to play stealth dd differently. Happy Thanksgiving!

I think you're correct. I play mostly gunboat and the best IJN captains I play against use their spotting advantage to keep me lit for teammates while minimizing to themselves. Can be very frustrating to play against those guys 

[POP]
Members
1,224 posts
8,023 battles
3 hours ago, KaptainKaybe said:

Or the dreaded MM gives your team 4 Hindenbergs, while the other team gets 4 Des Moines. 

[TMS]
Members
1,623 posts
21,656 battles
3 minutes ago, Dath_1 said:

I think you're correct. I play mostly gunboat and the best IJN captains I play against use their spotting advantage to keep me lit for teammates while minimizing to themselves. Can be very frustrating to play against those guys 

The spotting advantage is not as good as it used to be, with mainly 1/10th km differences in concealment and the fade in and fade out mechanism you end up getting spotted by a DD that you should've spotted before he spotted you, you end up spotting each other at the same time.

[D12]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,065 posts
8,840 battles
4 hours ago, CaptGodzillaPig said:

Kaybe..  your post In that thread probably hit home more to me that any other.  That said. the advice in that thread was golden.  9/10 now.  still rolling.  All DD drivers need to listen up to what was said there. 

Old news.   The challenge to DD drivers. Go to a cap out of the gate take a cap without using smoke.  Easy when no one is there.  Try to do it while you are under fire.  If you can do that, you can handle most situations.  And remember you can brake and change speeds.

[MKF]
Members
399 posts
14,829 battles
1 hour ago, Final8ty said:

The spotting advantage is not as good as it used to be, with mainly 1/10th km differences in concealment and the fade in and fade out mechanism you end up getting spotted by a DD that you should've spotted before he spotted you, you end up spotting each other at the same time.

Harakaze and Yagumo still do it well

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles

It's certainly possible to carry a battle more or less alone from time to time. It's more about how often that opportunity arises.

[TMS]
Members
1,623 posts
21,656 battles
7 minutes ago, Dath_1 said:

Harakaze and Yagumo still do it well

If you are bottom dd tier yes.

[PLPT]
Members
9,915 posts
10,308 battles
2 hours ago, OgreMkV said:

Or the dreaded MM gives your team 4 Hindenbergs, while the other team gets 4 Des Moines. 

yes????

and???

fhMuUeM.jpg

Members
2,208 posts
4,051 battles

The general state of dd play has gone way down. There are still amazing dd players out there, don't get me wrong. It's just is not the same as it was and when you get one of the better ones it shows. 

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
13 hours ago, Nachoo31 said:

Old news.   The challenge to DD drivers. Go to a cap out of the gate take a cap without using smoke.  Easy when no one is there.  Try to do it while you are under fire.  If you can do that, you can handle most situations.  And remember you can brake and change speeds.

You must have missed this topic.. 

Who said I just ran where no one was?

Edited by CaptGodzillaPig

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
9,694 battles

There's a reason why my Yamamoto captain is in my Kamikaze R. Played three games in it a couple days ago with both the first and third games getting 6 kills. It's easily one of the best ships to farm krakens and of course carry. But you still need to be skilled at DD. 

Another ship you can carry easily in is the New Mexico. Nearly everyone straight line drives showing broadside. I have to wipe the drool off my keyboard every few matches. 

[TMS]
Members
1,623 posts
21,656 battles

Grinding a New line and i suffer the consequences of being the best loser.

Spoiler

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Beta Testers
1,119 posts
2,418 battles
On 11/23/2017 at 7:40 AM, Herr_Reitz said:

On target, especially with low viz boats like the kagero. Ill often park on the edge, booster ready and angled out for a quick escape versus action, but my low viz gives me enough confidence to sit and loiter. Am i going to hang out for the gunfight? Of course not. And keeping one rack in reserve is sound, sound advice. Learn to rotate your torpedo cooldowns, dont spend them all on one target unless you're absolutely sure of the kill. IJN torpedoes take upwards of a minute to reload. The worst thing for you is to be stuck with dry tubes for the next hundred and some seconds.

One thing i didnt see anybody mention in that thread is you can lose a game by reaching ZERO points. Say all you want about how DDs shouldnt rush a cap, but that initial gain is critical. If your team has no caps (no point generation) and loses enough ships (negative point generation), you can lose by reaching zero points. I recently had a game last only seven minutes. We didnt capture all three caps, but we kept red from doing so and kicked his teeth in. Seven minutes later, we win with only a few hundred points. We had killed enough ships and they hadnt to the point they reached zero points. Game over.

I hate to say it, but you cant wait for the scatter brained CAs or the slow BBs. Somebody has got to take that cap.

• Cool 1