You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Slntreaper

Pan Asia Flag Poll Results

25 comments in this topic

[KENT]
Members
480 posts
3,039 battles

Original poll here: https://goo.gl/forms/X71tjFIXY1AHEzj93

Disclaimer

The following results are the results of a player-run poll distributed among the NA forums, Asia forums, and r/worldofwarships.  The results are not endorsed by any other party except for myself, including Wargaming, Reddit, or any of the developers.  As this was a player run poll, I open up my results to any analysis that any players, developers, and/or outside observers would like to make.  I expect to be accused of vote manipulation.  These results are not guaranteed to influence Wargaming in any way.  I am also not an AP Stats student.  If you spot an incorrect assumption, please show mercy.  Thank you.

Introduction and Methodology

The following results are compiled from the poll linked above, which ran from 17-11-17 to 22-11-17.  The poll collected 387 responses.  One of these responses was by a player who exclusively played on the CN server; as a result, their result was removed.  This was response number 121.  In case you're wondering, I did have to go through 121 responses to find the one person who played only CN.  Thus, with the singular response thrown out, there were 386 responses from RU, EU, NA, SEA, and CN.  Results were compiled into an Excel doc and analyzed.  

An asterisk (*) indicates that I lumped similar responses together.  For example, if one response was that they didn't care, and another response was that it didn't really matter, I would lump both together.  In addition, all of the "other" responses are marked as "Other" in the pie charts.  

Data Results

Do note the data can be accessed at: https://goo.gl/forms/X71tjFIXY1AHEzj93

GfZD76M.png

0R2GxCi.png

16LHhcD.png

NESvk5v.png

WpPvT1b.png

Analysis

The poll results point to an overwhelming majority of people who want the flag changes to be reverted back to the original situation (IE all ships fly national flags by default).  This poll proves that not all people dislike the national flags, with the majority of the comments pointing to either historical accuracy or pride in their own nations such as Indonesia.  Although a supposed 1.4 billion people from the CN server preferred the generic Pan Asia flag for all of the ships, their results will not be counted in this poll because either way, the result does not affect those on the CN server.  It can be said that Wargaming should not bow to the CN server demands because they are not affected by the flag appearance either way, but I do not necessarily endorse these views.  However, it can be argued that WG should, in fact, keep the generic flags in order to keep with consistency throughout the line.  Either way, the majority of those surveyed who actually play on the main servers believe that Pan Asian DDs should have their national flags back for a multitude of reasons.  

I am allowing the use of this survey to be used in other letters, topics, threads, or any other communication akin to the above.  I do not necessarily endorse the views of those who use this poll.  This poll is strictly neutral, with the author attempting to remove as much personal bias as possible.  

• Cool 4

[SYN]
Members
14,380 posts
10,248 battles

The problem is more like "one nation does not view the other as legitimate", therefore, what flag should be flown?

[PVE]
Members
5,338 posts
17,834 battles

IMHO the problem is with a neutered humanity. We cave to stupid demands of the eternally offended instead of telling them to STFU. I get that Wargaming is a business but honestly they should have told the Chinese to eat it. Standing up for the "little guy" used to be the honorable thing to do especially if you had truth on your side. Wargaming disrespects all the other Asian countries by not allowing their national flags to be flown on their ships, it is a smack in the face to those who served with honor from those nations. It is a repulsive precedent to set and one that disgusts me to no end. All I can do now as a consumer to express my outrage is to close my wallet and not even bother to play the Pan Asian line. If enough people did that, all the work that Wargaming put into the ships would be a waste.  

• Cool 2

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,397 posts
36 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

This is why you don't operate an international business with billions of potential customers. You'd rather cater to the few than the many

[PVE]
Members
5,338 posts
17,834 battles
Just now, Chobittsu said:

This is why you don't operate an international business with billions of potential customers. You'd rather cater to the few than the many

LOL ok... The historical truth is unrelenting and factual. BTW this is not just a Wargaming thing, like I said I get they are a business. It is a humanity problem. Not sure anyone is immune from the masses who will find offense even with the actual truth. Probably too late to laugh at the stupidity of them, a bit too early to shoot them.

• Cool 2

[SOUP]
7,397 posts
Just now, Taylor3006 said:

You must be an American.

[PVE]
Members
5,338 posts
17,834 battles
1 minute ago, Chobittsu said:

You must be an American.

I am a Texan and for right now we are part of the USA..... Hardly rocket surgery to figure that one out since it kind of says "Texas" right there under my name....... From your response you must be from Polynesia... I am psychic as well.  

• Cool 1

[SOUP]
7,397 posts
3 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

(One of those "Texas for Texans" type people thinking he knows where I live based on an arbitrary string of text on the internet)
(Also, thinking Texas could survive on its own)

I'm going to go laugh myself to sleep~
Bonne nuit~!

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
16,116 battles
1 hour ago, Taylor3006 said:

Wargaming disrespects all the other Asian countries by not allowing their national flags to be flown on their ships, it is a smack in the face to those who served with honor from those nations. It is a repulsive precedent to set and one that disgusts me to no end.  

I agree. I find the ahistorical flags on the German ships insulting and petty as well.

[WOLF4]
Members
173 posts
1,280 battles
37 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

You must be an American.

You've got something against the United States of America?

If it wasn't for us every one would be an English colony right now or a part of Nazi Germany or the Hammer and Sickle or even Imperial Japan just saying you put it out there like its a negative to be an American when in reality alot of nations owe us for their sovereignty. I'm not saying we're perfect but we're pretty awesome.

Don't ever underestimate us because that happened a few times and it didn't work out to well for them.

rsL5GZf.jpg

• Cool 1

[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
648 posts
12,077 battles
35 minutes ago, Kunra_1 said:

You've got something against the United States of America?

If it wasn't for us every one would be an English colony right now or a part of Nazi Germany or the Hammer and Sickle or even Imperial Japan just saying you put it out there like its a negative to be an American when in reality alot of nations owe us for their sovereignty. I'm not saying we're perfect but we're pretty awesome.

Don't ever underestimate us because that happened a few times and it didn't work out to well for them.

rsL5GZf.jpg

Your point of view in history is LOL. 

• Cool 2

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,385 posts
7,979 battles
2 hours ago, MrDeaf said:

The problem is more like "one nation does not view the other as legitimate", therefore, what flag should be flown?

Basically, this to the extreme. What people fail to understand is that sure, they can make it that on that server, they have one generic flag, and here we get the national ones, except, they actually can't. Anyone with knowledge of international business and/or Politics on the most basic level that even if your acknowledging them outside their servers, they will cut all ties. So, imagine if that number was real and they each gave 1 dollar a year - that's 1.4 billion dollars and sorry boys and girls, but money makes the world go round, doubly if your a business, so they have a very good financial reason to not take a stance. Sorry, that's reality. It's one of, if not the biggest, market out there, and it's generally not easy to even get in at times. It's why games, movies, etc, will all bend over backwards and take heat elsewhere to keep things going there. Anyone remember all the hullabaloo about white-washing when Dr. Strange came out because they made the ancient one a Celtic Sorceress basically? Yeah, they opted to deal with that mess and backlash just so they could make sure the film would play there because they stuck to the characters actual comic background, they'd have refused to show that movie, and possibly in the future opt to not let any Marvel movie in, or perhaps Disney all together, of the 8-10 I think it is overall movies they allow in from outside the country a year.

It's the Kobayashi Maru, a rock and a hard place, take your pick of favourite way to say essentially a lose/lose situation. The question is, which one do you lose less on. They are a business, which means money, and in all likelihood, they will lose less from every other server combined, than ticking off that one and maybe losing that server altogether. We can talk about any morals, standing up for the little guy, humanity, etc, but when it comes to business, beyond standard minimum practices and all (I.E. none of what is currently flooding the news allowed), you want to really do well in business, you basically have to be able to turn that off and be neutral or unforgiving depending on scenario. 

• Cool 1

[ANZAC]
[ANZAC]
Members
599 posts
5,041 battles
2 hours ago, Chobittsu said:

(One of those "Texas for Texans" type people thinking he knows where I live based on an arbitrary string of text on the internet)

You mean the arbitrary string of text underneath your forum avatar that reads "Location: Bora Bora, French Polynesia"? What possible reason could you have for making this up?

I'm annoyed by all this. Let China have whatever flags they want on the CN server. Let the rest of the world, the majority of which does not recognise Chinese authority over Taiwan, play with the original flags.

[PVE]
Members
5,338 posts
17,834 battles

Would it be practical to program the use of the made up flags only for PRC players and allow every other Asian country to fly their nation's flag? Pretty clueless about programming and the like but it seems like that would be the optimal solution. PRC players would only see the dragon flag, all the other Asian server players would see theirs... Everyone would be happy, happy people spend money on the game.. Seems a win win..

Alpha Tester
1,944 posts
3 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

Would it be practical to program the use of the made up flags only for PRC players and allow every other Asian country to fly their nation's flag? Pretty clueless about programming and the like but it seems like that would be the optimal solution. PRC players would only see the dragon flag, all the other Asian server players would see theirs... Everyone would be happy, happy people spend money on the game.. Seems a win win..

China likes to impose their One-China policy on anything. They are very sensitive when it comes to Taiwan.

In sports, Taiwan is forbidden to to use their official name, flag and national anthem. As a result they compete as 'Chinese Taipei' and use this flag:

320px-Flag_of_Chinese_Taipei_for_Olympic

Even in the music industry, this K-pop singer was forced by her sponsors to apologize to China for waving an ROC flag in a music video.

Then there's games like WoWS, though we have yet to see WG publish an apology video like the one above. Remember that video of WG producer Hisashi Yaginuma announcing the Pan Asian ships? WG Asia has just deleted it from their YouTube channel, though it's still on Facebook.

[1IF]
Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
8,238 battles

I vote for the National Flags to be shown. The China server can do what it wants to (does anyone else care?).

Also, that Dragon Flag will only get flown on my S. Dragon Myoko. It will look good there.

WG, I will never fly it on any other Ship nor will I play the Pan- Asia line unless they have their proper National Ensigns. 

[1IF]
Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
8,238 battles
6 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

you must be from Polynesia

I'd only believe that if the 'Mouth that Roared' could prove it. However, it can't (won't be able to). 'It' could say it was the 'missing link' & that would be more believable.

• Cool 1

Members
9,871 posts

You spent the time doing the research, knowing full well the methodology is bad? :Smile_amazed:

In doing a poll you need to consider the audience. And considering 92% of the player base in NA NEVER comes to the forums. You're leaving out the key segment of the player base.

Furthermore, the only people that would bother to respond to a poll like this are people who actually care....most of us don't. Which skews the numbers.

Finally, based on WG's last claim of 400k players, your polls response from NA alone comprise less than 1/10th of one percent of the players.

Sorry, you're entire poll is suspect...:Smile_teethhappy:

You may as well do a poll about politics, and then put your questions to only one party.....

Members
49 posts
2,434 battles

IIRC the CN server also changed the name of all the IJN ships to animals (because history), so whats the problem with them having only one flag on the CN server and letting everyone else have the national flags?

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,385 posts
7,979 battles
14 hours ago, Die95 said:

IIRC the CN server also changed the name of all the IJN ships to animals (because history), so whats the problem with them having only one flag on the CN server and letting everyone else have the national flags?

Shortest version I can give of what I said above - the server is irrelevant, they include that one flag, they can lose the entire CN server, as in shut don and not allowed to do business at all in the country, meaning they lose any Warplanes, Tanks, or other projects currently or potentially there. Look at Wolcott's post above, pretty much same thing. The problem is, and why most of these threads have been locked, it's a political issue, that intersects a business issue for Wargaming. Would I prefer national flags? yes, same as while I am fully against what some flags have come to represent, I want historical flags, but the same reason we don't get Historical KM and IJN flags is partially why we don't get individual Pan-Asia flags, the historical ones are more legal mostly, IJN's closer to this current scenario, but all still result in the game being banned/disallowed in areas.

Much as I recommend the show, go to youtube and type "The West Wing S06E07 flag clip", 28 seconds and the most basic breakdown why having those flags is an issue, the episode itself gives a bit more of the overall issue, but basically, it's a juggling act. If your a business, you either stay out of it and neutral, or pick a side and lose business.