You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CaptGodzillaPig

Ever felt bad about a kill? I mean really bad?

82 comments in this topic

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles

Couple of games ago in my GK, we are rolling out at game start...  Nothing is happening..just ships moving around.  I popped the spotter to see what was what and who was going where and a New Orleans was just at the edge of my range.  Well,  guns are loaded..nothing else going on..certainly nothing else going to happen for a bit, so what the heck.  Tossed off a full salvo at him and turned my attention to the area I was headed.   10 seconds or so later..  the right side of my screen lights off..  FIrst blood.  Dev strike.. Kill..  3 cits on the banner line..  This isn't the first time I have one shot a cruiser being silly at the game start.  I actually really love that about BB play.  This was the first time I took a long range pot shot with literally no hope of even landing a hit and nuking some poor slob.  Worse..  It was his very first game in the NO.  I must have apologized about 20 times.  lol.  I mean I am there to kill ships, but that was just wrong.  lol.  GK dispersion is crap and at the extended edge of spotter range I am lucky if I can land ONE shell anywhere near anything I am shooting at..  3 CITS??  RNG loved me on that one and that was all I could tell him.  I could take that shot 10,000 times and never do that again.  Poor bastard was on and on about what happened??  He literally had no idea and why should he have?  I doubt he even had gotten up to full speed yet after loading in. 

• Cool 4

[DRACS]
Members
3,351 posts

As a general rule, I always feel bad when I detonate someone. I do think they should stay in the game as it happened a lot historically, but it doesn't make feel any better when a single 127mm shell dev strikes another DD, or a single torpedo dev strikes a BB.

I pretty much always apologize in chat for that.

• Cool 1

[B2P]
[B2P]
Members
278 posts
7,470 battles

Since they anounced the USN cruiser spit, I started the grind... I have never felt so guilty of killing some ships, specially because the steam realise... yeah, I am so sorry for the seal clubing

Captura.thumb.PNG.47357a76db12c81ff0362f95f454f846.PNG

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,776 posts
12,900 battles

I cannot think of any time I've felt "bad" about a kill.  Maybe the colloquial "Poor Bastard" thought.  Or..."Ouch".  Or..."LoL".  But "bad"... Nope.  I'm here to win.  And if I can cit a CA early and wipe it....so be it. 

Edited by Soshi_Sone
  • Cool 2

Members
1,201 posts
8,185 battles

I stole First Blood from a teammate yesterday in my Algerie with a salvo from near maximum range that landed a single shell for exactly 1 point of damage.  I felt a little bad about that, but mostly I just laughed.

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

I've thought that when it's someone I just demolish when I face them. 

But at times, you just simply out play them. Or you punish a mistake they made.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
402 posts
4,260 battles

I did it a couple of weeks ago to a Leander(I think, it was def a RN crusier)in my Monarch, he was heading for cover and I got one salvo off...Lucky Shot, First Blood, and Dev Strike. I lol'd and then really did feel bad, because Karma, and I've BTDT!

[SIM]
Members
2,439 posts
4,080 battles

A couple of days ago I shot a salvo of HE from my Cesare at an Aoba, then got a First Blood detonation on an Akizuki that no one had seen, who was apparently right behind the Aoba. I felt pretty bad for the guy.

Edited by SkaerKrow

Members
3,643 posts
13,487 battles

I never feel bad about any in game kill. My outlook is; "Do it to him, before he does it to me". When I get a Devastating Strike on some poor booger, I keep in mind that he could've done the same to me if I hadn't beat him to it.

As that Yankee General once said; "War is Hell!"

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
5,308 posts
3,883 battles
37 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

I cannot think of any time I've felt "bad" about a kill.  Maybe the colloquial "Poor Bastard" thought.  Or..."Ouch".  Or..."LoL".  But "bad"... Nope.  I'm here to win.  And if I can cit a CA early and wipe it....so be it. 

That's kinda my view as well.  This is just a game and you're here to win.  There's nothing to feel bad over...

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
26 minutes ago, ReddNekk said:

I never feel bad about any in game kill. My outlook is; "Do it to him, before he does it to me". When I get a Devastating Strike on some poor booger, I keep in mind that he could've done the same to me if I hadn't beat him to it.

As that Yankee General once said; "War is Hell!"

I get it and of course any kill is a good kill..  Just when you nuke some poor sucker on a one in a million shot before he probably even set his hot pocket down from the game start..lol..  AND in his first ever ride out in that ship.  lol.  I bet the guy never takes that New Orleans out again.  hahaha. 

Edited by CaptGodzillaPig
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles

When I was trying the Japanese BB line I was still new, and it was before my account name change, I just got my Kongo fully upgraded I when into a Random match. Once the game started I launched my Spotter Plane.

One of the 1st ships spotted was a Omaha, I aimed and fired a Full Broadside at the Full Health Omaha, (he was going full speed ahead and starting a turn), and hit him Broadside with 5 x 14 inch shells, and got my 1st "First Blood" Achievement.

Let's just say the Omaha player was more than a little upset, and let it be know over chat, that it was a "Lucky Shot" and the "Game was broken", etc. With all the grief he gave and at 1st I did feel a little bad.

BUT since I had just fired his teammates (4 of them) returned fire so I was not to far behind him in Davy Jones' Locker.:Smile_honoring:

Members
2,210 posts
4,051 battles

Only on low tier cv snipes when the other player is a clueless dear in the headlights. Usually following circumventing a high AA ship and "surprise" a red cv.

Members
1 post
118 battles

Worst I ever felt was a tier 3-4 match on Solomon Islands in my Phoenix. In the first minute or two nobody had been spotted and I was passing that part of one of the islands which has a low saddleback. I had an idle thought in my mind to test if I could lob shells over the low point from where I was.

Shots out and only one clears. But that one shell detonates the enemy Friant.

I apologized in chat to the other player  who complemented me on my complete [edited] luck and thanked me for the free detonation flags.

Made me feel worse since the bloke was a genuinely nice guy.

• Cool 1

[SNIPR]
Beta Testers
312 posts
3,609 battles

I feel bad if I detonate someone before they even have the chance to shoot anything.  I detonated a poor New Mexico with a single torpedo before.  And this is right after he was about to get in range to start shooting things.  Pretty sure I apologized since the person looked and acted like that was their first T6.  Stock build And just... gone.  (I at least made sure to win so that their first win bonus wouldn't get wasted.)

Members
17 posts
3,148 battles

I was in my Akatsuki today, pushed too far and got lit up but not before I sent out three volleys of torps.  One fish hits a full health Bismarck and denotation; flat out apologized.

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
16,112 battles
2 hours ago, CaptGodzillaPig said:

Couple of games ago in my GK, we are rolling out at game start...  Nothing is happening..just ships moving around.  I popped the spotter to see what was what and who was going where and a New Orleans was just at the edge of my range.  Well,  guns are loaded..nothing else going on..certainly nothing else going to happen for a bit, so what the heck.  Tossed off a full salvo at him and turned my attention to the area I was headed.   10 seconds or so later..  the right side of my screen lights off..  FIrst blood.  Dev strike.. Kill..  3 cits on the banner line..  This isn't the first time I have one shot a cruiser being silly at the game start.  I actually really love that about BB play.  This was the first time I took a long range pot shot with literally no hope of even landing a hit and nuking some poor slob.  Worse..  It was his very first game in the NO.  I must have apologized about 20 times.  lol.  I mean I am there to kill ships, but that was just wrong.  lol.  GK dispersion is crap and at the extended edge of spotter range I am lucky if I can land ONE shell anywhere near anything I am shooting at..  3 CITS??  RNG loved me on that one and that was all I could tell him.  I could take that shot 10,000 times and never do that again.  Poor bastard was on and on about what happened??  He literally had no idea and why should he have?  I doubt he even had gotten up to full speed yet after loading in. 

If it was really that early in the game where he hadn't even gotten up to full speed yet, how was he even spotted?

Kills I feel bad about are detonations, especially when the target was full health.

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
Just now, Ju87s said:

If it was really that early in the game where he hadn't even gotten up to full speed yet, how was he even spotted?

Kills I feel bad about are detonations, especially when the target was full health.

Short map.  I popped my spotter plane which increases my detect range.  My guns just loaded...so about 30 seconds into the game I spotted him. 40 seconds in I fired..and 50 seconds in he was dead.   Not  a det.  3 cits dev strike.

Edited by CaptGodzillaPig

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
16,112 battles
6 minutes ago, CaptGodzillaPig said:

Short map.  I popped my spotter plane which increases my detect range.  My guns just loaded...so about 30 seconds into the game I spotted him. 40 seconds in I fired..and 50 seconds in he was dead.   Not  a det.  3 cits dev strike.

I dunno man.. There are no maps that small where you should be able to detect him via aircraft that early.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,376 posts
7,971 battles

Biggest one I will forever feel sorry for, much as I laugh at it still will be the detonated Atlanta. Told the story before in other threads, but early game in a Cleveland couple years ago now I think (only a couple month's after release or so), was headed around B on a map and first ship of the game spotted was an Atlanta. He was just on the edge of guns range sailing toward me lined up a shot for the hell of it hoping I hit, though at that time my accuracy, let alone at that range in a Cleveland, wasn't quite that good. While the shells are in their orbital arc he vanishes, I go to look around and steer, next thing I see, Dev Strike, First Blood, Detonation. Insult to injury, aside from being long before IFHE, While I saw 3 rounds impact, it was his 4th or 5th match in the thing, he had gotten a kraken the previous match, and 2 of those rounds impacted his ship after he was dead. Literally 1 hit kill from max range in Cleveland that made everyone kinda stop for a second.

Second is actually another detonated Atlanta. He got in close to my Scharn, and had been set on fire and repaired shortly before making a torp run. He went to get in close, turned to get the angle he wanted, I aimed around the tubes, knocked them out, and a secondary hit soon after destroyed them out right. So, he turns, trying to get the other tube on me, still have HE loaded, fire, detonation while also destroying the other torpedo tube.

Third is a DD who was thoroughly humiliated with half his team watching him. He was 2-3 km away from my Tirpitz, and had been spotted before so I generally knew where he had been. He turned to fire torps, I timed it perfect I actually dodged them entirely, while launching my own and obliterating him. With several of his team in open chat going "How the :etc_swear: do you miss a battleship at 2km!?"

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
52 minutes ago, Ju87s said:

I dunno man.. There are no maps that small where you should be able to detect him via aircraft that early.

There are.  You can spot or detect right from spawn on some of them..

[NDA]
Supertester, Alpha Tester
5,473 posts
4,055 battles

I was playing with the Graf Zeppelin and spotted a full-HP Fubuki. It tried to hide in its smoke, but I manual-dropped on its last seen position and detonated it. Apparently it was 'a big kick to the balls' and I felt pretty bad considering it was already in tier eight MM. Poor lil' bote...