You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CaptGodzillaPig

T10 DD tactics help

41 comments in this topic

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles

I like to take little strolls around in the Z52 as a break from life in the GK.  Lately it seems that most games are filled with 4-5 DD's and I end up having to spend the mast majority of my effort, and usually the game (for as long as I am in it), in gun fights with other DD's.  Now the 52 is adept at gun fights and can handle one easily enough and sometimes 2 if I am lucky and still have some gas left for the rest of the match.   Lately it seems it is just non stop banging away until I finally just run out of HP.  There has to be a better tactic.  I like to run the cap for the team at the start..and that usually implies a gun fight if it is contested.  Ok.  Starting to think that maybe that isn't such a smart move.  Well, I know it isn't, but am I big "Richard" for hanging back?  Seems like that isn't great for the team either..

Any ideas here?  What do you DD main types do here? 

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,291 battles

Honestly, IMO, if you rush a cap without close support from your team, you're asking for trouble.  At the same time, it's probably smart to get reasonably close to the cap, even if you want to avoid jumping onto it (since doing so lets the enemy  know that you're on the cap, of course).  You might be able to spot an enemy.  or maybe some enemy DD will decide to smoke up and you can torp the smoke.  or perhaps you can use your hydro to screen for team mates and spot any torpedoes that nearby enemy DD's may try to spam in their direction.

Regardless, unless you're supremely confident in your ability to out duel enemy DD's with your own and take little damage in the process, I tend to think that rushing caps without close support is an unwise thing to do.

• Cool 1

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
7 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Honestly, IMO, if you rush a cap without close support from your team, you're asking for trouble.  At the same time, it's probably smart to get reasonably close to the cap, even if you want to avoid jumping onto it (since doing so lets the enemy  know that you're on the cap, of course).  You might be able to spot an enemy.  or maybe some enemy DD will decide to smoke up and you can torp the smoke.  or perhaps you can use your hydro to screen for team mates and spot any torpedoes that nearby enemy DD's may try to spam in their direction.

Regardless, unless you're supremely confident in your ability to out duel enemy DD's with your own and take little damage in the process, I tend to think that rushing caps without close support is an unwise thing to do.

I am usually pretty confident in most situations with a 1:1 duel with another DD unless it is another gun boat type, then I use a little more caution.   I hear what you are saying though.  Good advice.  I'll give the "middle road" approach a try. 

Edited by CaptGodzillaPig

[WOLF1]
Members
619 posts
12,934 battles
30 minutes ago, CaptGodzillaPig said:

I like to take little strolls around in the Z52 as a break from life in the GK.  Lately it seems that most games are filled with 4-5 DD's and I end up having to spend the mast majority of my effort, and usually the game (for as long as I am in it), in gun fights with other DD's.  Now the 52 is adept at gun fights and can handle one easily enough and sometimes 2 if I am lucky and still have some gas left for the rest of the match.   Lately it seems it is just non stop banging away until I finally just run out of HP.  There has to be a better tactic.  I like to run the cap for the team at the start..and that usually implies a gun fight if it is contested.  Ok.  Starting to think that maybe that isn't such a smart move.  Well, I know it isn't, but am I big "Richard" for hanging back?  Seems like that isn't great for the team either..

Well depends on what DD you are in.  But your main job should be to spot for the team first off more than anything.  Hell we all wanna get up in the mix and go for that torp run on a battleship but its better to play on the side of caution and spot the enemy dds and cas and hope your team supports you with suppressing fire and killing the enemy dds that are spotting you.  I use to rush to caps at the start, now I play more cautiously and it has paid off.  Plus you are more valuable to cap later in the game.  But sometimes you are gonna have to knife fight it out that's just the nature of the beast.

• Cool 1

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
9 minutes ago, knice_destroyer said:

Well depends on what DD you are in.  But your main job should be to spot for the team first off more than anything.  Hell we all wanna get up in the mix and go for that torp run on a battleship but its better to play on the side of caution and spot the enemy dds and cas and hope your team supports you with suppressing fire and killing the enemy dds that are spotting you.  I use to rush to caps at the start, now I play more cautiously and it has paid off.  Plus you are more valuable to cap later in the game.  But sometimes you are gonna have to knife fight it out that's just the nature of the beast.

T52 primarily, but I also run around T6 and T7 in the IJN line.  I tend to be a lot more cautious with them.  I don't run in initially thinking torp runs, but mainly get that cap and get the points rolling for the team.  Figure the heavies will present an opportunity later.  Just seems to get to the point where every game is a big gun battle and that is not why I run the DD.  lol.  I already had it in the back of my head that I need to cool the jets.  Just kind of looking for a sounding board from guys that run DD mains as I am more of a BB guy.  Thanks for the input.

[UDEAD]
[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,024 posts
10,186 battles

DD's are on overload right now because of the Pan Asian missions.  Routinely seeing 5 DD's per side in over half my daily matches, so here is a better idea when you need to take a break from the GK - take a cruiser that specialize in nuking DD's instead.

Any cruiser with Radar and a high rate of fire should be doing great right now.

[GOFU]
Beta Testers
721 posts
7,351 battles

What’s your captain build and upgrades?

Before the game starts during load in check out reds and look for radar ships, cv and dd opposition as will dictate what you should be doing at game start.

[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
14,228 battles

Z 52 NEVER EVER BE FIRST TO CAP USE THAT RED TURNING CAP TO YOUR ADVANTAGE ....STOP THE CAP PUSH WITH SOME SUPPORT OR AT LEAST GET TEAMS GUNS ON CAP FOR GAWDS SAKE AND GET READY TO MAKE EM SMOKE WHILE YOU HYDRO AND SMOKE YERSELF AND DANCE THROUGH HIS TORPS WHILE PUNISHING HIM OVER AND OVER AGAIN

[R-R-R]
Members
969 posts
6,420 battles
1 hour ago, CaptGodzillaPig said:

I am usually pretty confident in most situations with a 1:1 duel with another DD unless it is another gun boat type, then I use a little more caution.   I hear what you are saying though.  Good advice.  I'll give the "middle road" approach a try. 

Even if you are confident, 1v1 may not always be the best option. DD vs DD gunfight = health trading, you want to be as efficient as possible to have more mileage over the whole game. Also, can you really be sure it will be a 1v1 in a heavy DD game. There could be more than 1 enemy DD lurking around.

Reconsider some of the fights you took, did you have option to lose even less health to win that fight? I myself have a different mentality. If I could create a 2v1 situation in my favor, why should I take 1v1 instead?

Also you don't have to charge into a cap immediately in DD heavy games. Bait enemy DDs to the cap first. Once they commit, you will have more chance to land a kill with your super strong hydro.

[DRACS]
Members
3,350 posts

I've adopted a tactic that overall seems to work well for me across all tiers. Assuming my team is not a complete potato (which sadly happens a lot ... my poor poor Fletcher), this generally makes me win more often than not. This is for USN and KM DDs mostly, but it can apply to very careful IJN DDs too. Not RU gunboat DDs for obvious reason.

- I **ALWAYS** rush the closest cap, support or no support. Point gain from caps is soooo crucial at the beginning of the match and it's so very rare I see wins come from teams that lose most or all caps at start unless the opposing team has a bunch of cruisers that reeeeally love sailing broadside. Having cap control means you can play defensively and lay ambushes. Losing caps means you're forced to play aggressively and put yourself in disadvantageous positions. DO NOT IGNORE CAPS IN DOMINATION! it's really sad how many people screw this up.

- I get to the cap and immediately turn around and stop so that I am just slightly on the edge of the cap circle with my nose pointing back towards my team. If I'm alone, great ... easy points. If I'm not alone and the enemy team has a DD in the cap, then both of us hold it so that neither gets points from it.

- Afterwards, it depends on what my team is doing and what the enemy team is doing. I'm obviously spotting that side of the map and can see what opposition the enemy has headed my way. Generally speaking, it's very rare that the enemy DD will push forward to find me unless he has heavy support as he needs to run to the middle of the cap to do so. If I see the enemy team has far more ships coming towards the cap than my own team, I bail. If I see radar cruisers, I bail if I see them getting into radar range. If I have decent support, I'll stick it out. If I have loads of support, I'll push forward to spot the enemy DD and prompt my team to focus fire that poor sucker down with me.

Now obviously, the above can change due to circumstance. If I'm the only DD on my team and for some reason they spawn me across the map from the rest of my team, I'll go to the closest cap to the team. And there are also some maps where the closest cap is a bit of a death trap at start, so I'll go to the second nearest. But here's what soooo many, well, blatant idiots don't get: The team needs to support their DDs, not the other way around. If I'm playing a BB or CA, I wait to see where my DDs are headed, and then I follow them. DDs are the lifeblood of the team. You simply cannot win Domination matches if your DDs are dead, so abandoning them to die just messes it up for you, regardless of how much fire damage you like to farm. SUPPORT YOUR DDs, DAMNIT!

• Cool 2

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
21 minutes ago, Exciton8964 said:

Even if you are confident, 1v1 may not always be the best option. DD vs DD gunfight = health trading, you want to be as efficient as possible to have more mileage over the whole game. Also, can you really be sure it will be a 1v1 in a heavy DD game. There could be more than 1 enemy DD lurking around.

Reconsider some of the fights you took, did you have option to lose even less health to win that fight? I myself have a different mentality. If I could create a 2v1 situation in my favor, why should I take 1v1 instead?

Also you don't have to charge into a cap immediately in DD heavy games. Bait enemy DDs to the cap first. Once they commit, you will have more chance to land a kill with your super strong hydro.

I hear ya.  Good advice.  So, I know this is only a one game data point, but this seems to happen to me a lot in varying ways.  Last game in my 52 I took the advice here and got into the cap area(not the cap itself), but didn't blaze in.  Had a Des and I think a Balt with me.  2 cruisers anyway.  We are all kind of hanging and I got radar lit.  I had an out and started running and gunning (no reason not to shoot when you are lit anyway) and figured my cruiser help would back me on that.  Nope.  I got clear with fortunately minimal damage and came back around for the cap with island cover from the reds.  Now I wasn't really watching, but it seems like those 2 cruisers on my end should have been able to hammer that Des that lit me up.  Literally no help.  I ended up running around for my life, basically doing a cruiser job, while they did not much.  Des on my team ran all the way back to A line to chase a DD and I ended up with 2 kills..both on DD's and that was mainly all in self preservation. 

I like the advice being given here.  It seems that a lot of it is predicated on there being some support for you though.  Being a single player and not with a div partner that I know will back me.  It is a coin flip if I get that back up or not.  All of my games in the 52 tonight have been good from an individual point.  Some wins some losses, but all my kills are against DD's and the occasions cruiser.  Lots of Flesh Wounds achievements. 

All good stuff though.  Really appreciate the advice being tossed out there in this topic as even in just the last 2-3 games I can see a difference in my play.  So please keep it coming.

[INTEL]
Members
8,429 posts
25,288 battles

Kaybee has the right of it. You can play capper three ways (1) noisy knife fighter if you have support (2) silent capper (3) circle the cap for a bit before diving in.

In Z-52 I am leaning more and more toward 2 and 3. At T10 BBs and cruisers can hit you from any range and other DD drivers, even in IJN DDs, can wreck you. (2) works well  -- you can never fire and never be spotted, stay angled so you can exit fast, and hold the other DDs in the cap while you spam out torps faster than they do since you're in Z-52 so they eat a torp or their nerves break and they leave. (3) is actually a variant of the same strategy -- you enter the cap with cap half complete, pinning the Red DDs in the cap until something spots them or your torps get them or their nerves break and they leave. 

You can also simply let them cap and leave, and then grab the cap. But that is suboptimal because it concedes the points and also lets the Red DDs have the initiative in going after your ships pushing up.

Of course, with the prevalence of radar degrading high tier game play -- things were so much better before that garbage was introduced into the game -- radar ships have to be vigilantly watched for. 

Z-52 does really well divved, but especially with a Gearing, I've found.

All this changes when someone has brought a CV. If there is a CV everything depends on whether your CV driver can push Red's fighters off the caps so you can cap. If he can't, may as well just exit the match and find a match where your play actually means something. @issm is right -- CV vision is too powerful. WG is attempting sell "balance" as tinkering with CV strike packages, but in truth the most OP thing about CVs is that they spot DDs and their torps. That vision, especially torp spotting, needs to be removed to balance CVs, but WG isn't even addressing the vision issue.

Edited by Taichunger

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles

Ok I think this is finally working..  Last game 2 kills on Miss and Monty.  Not that BB kills are any better than kills on other ships, but I took 2 caps, fought off (not fought to the death) a couple of DD's and cruisers..and managed to hang around and get some meaningful damage on some heavies late.  Big diff though in the game was that this team did help me.  I had a cruiser back me for awhile and a Shima that ran with me.  Makes a big difference. 

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
41 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

- I **ALWAYS** rush the closest cap, support or no support. Point gain from caps is soooo crucial at the beginning of the match and it's so very rare I see wins come from teams that lose most or all caps at start unless the opposing team has a bunch of cruisers that reeeeally love sailing broadside. Having cap control means you can play defensively and lay ambushes. Losing caps means you're forced to play aggressively and put yourself in disadvantageous positions. DO NOT IGNORE CAPS IN DOMINATION! it's really sad how many people screw this up.

^This is how I view DD play.

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles

Just some feed back.  My first 2 games in the 52 tonight were losses..  Just games in between my really great night wrecking things in GK...  But since You guys have been chiming in my last 3 games in 52 were wins.  That wasn't just luck.  Good info fellas.  Thanks.  (it has been hard to play the 52 because the GK is just KILLING IT..  But the little DD is really fun.  lol  )

[DRACS]
Members
3,350 posts
3 minutes ago, CaptGodzillaPig said:

Just some feed back.  My first 2 games in the 52 tonight were losses..  Just games in between my really great night wrecking things in GK...  But since You guys have been chiming in my last 3 games in 52 were wins.  That wasn't just luck.  Good info fellas.  Thanks.  (it has been hard to play the 52 because the GK is just KILLING IT..  But the little DD is really fun.  lol  )

Nice. I'm at FdG right now, but after having experienced the glory that is the Bismarck, the Freddy is making me grind my teeth. I really want GK, but the grind is killing me. :/

Honestly, I much prefer playing cruisers and DDs at tiers 9 and 10 than I do BBs. Anytime I see a ship with a rudder shift over 15 seconds, I worry.

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
5 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

Nice. I'm at FdG right now, but after having experienced the glory that is the Bismarck, the Freddy is making me grind my teeth. I really want GK, but the grind is killing me. :/

Honestly, I much prefer playing cruisers and DDs at tiers 9 and 10 than I do BBs. Anytime I see a ship with a rudder shift over 15 seconds, I worry.

I went though the same thing.  FIrst in the IJN line where I just was in love with Amagi, then I had to deal with the misery that is/was the Izumo, then finally the Yam.  Yam didn't quite fit my style so I went KM line.  Same thing.  Bis was totally worth the run and I could have stopped there and been happy.  Even in T10 MM.  FD wasn't as bad as Izzy, but just seemed to fall flat.  Long grind and most games were just a "meh".  Even the big stat games when they came didn't really feel like a dominated anything.  The very first game in the GK it was like a light switch.  THIS IS WHAT I WORKED FOR!!   Yeah you get burnt down..  You get torp walled..you get shot to hell by sky cancer every so often.  But oh those secondarys..  You build her full out and it is like 2 angry Atlantas strapped to your sides.  @Lert I stole your saying..    You get your ups and downs, but the ups are you walk around like a 10ft giant just kicking little peons out of you way at will.  Learning to use the seconds to compliment your mains..and not always on the same ship, is key.   When you get that first hat trick close Q game on little DD's that think they can run you (and it won't be the last).  There is a good day. 

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles

Ok thanks all.  Went 5 out of 6 in the 52 after taking advice here.  Got some great tips from everyone that posted and put them all to use in some way or form.  Would have loved to say I went a straight 6, but that one loss was a total roll crap show that wasn't even close on our side by any measure.  The tips you all gave me helped a lot.  I am not a DD driver normally.  I just run her the way I would like a dd to run as a BB main.  You guys helped a lot.  Got a few beers down now...  Focus is fading..  Might be time to go back tot he GK after one more DD run.

Again, can't thank you guys enough. 

[TMS]
Members
1,623 posts
21,656 battles
2 hours ago, KaptainKaybe said:

I've adopted a tactic that overall seems to work well for me across all tiers. Assuming my team is not a complete potato (which sadly happens a lot ... my poor poor Fletcher), this generally makes me win more often than not. This is for USN and KM DDs mostly, but it can apply to very careful IJN DDs too. Not RU gunboat DDs for obvious reason.

- I get to the cap and immediately turn around and stop so that I am just slightly on the edge of the cap circle with my nose pointing back towards my team. If I'm alone, great ... easy points. If I'm not alone and the enemy team has a DD in the cap, then both of us hold it so that neither gets points from it.

- Afterwards, it depends on what my team is doing and what the enemy team is doing. I'm obviously spotting that side of the map and can see what opposition the enemy has headed my way. Generally speaking, it's very rare that the enemy DD will push forward to find me unless he has heavy support as he needs to run to the middle of the cap to do so. If I see the enemy team has far more ships coming towards the cap than my own team, I bail. If I see radar cruisers, I bail if I see them getting into radar range. If I have decent support, I'll stick it out. If I have loads of support, I'll push forward to spot the enemy DD and prompt my team to focus fire that poor sucker down with me.

Now obviously, the above can change due to circumstance. If I'm the only DD on my team and for some reason they spawn me across the map from the rest of my team, I'll go to the closest cap to the team. And there are also some maps where the closest cap is a bit of a death trap at start, so I'll go to the second nearest. But here's what soooo many, well, blatant idiots don't get: The team needs to support their DDs, not the other way around. If I'm playing a BB or CA, I wait to see where my DDs are headed, and then I follow them. DDs are the lifeblood of the team. You simply cannot win Domination matches if your DDs are dead, so abandoning them to die just messes it up for you, regardless of how much fire damage you like to farm. SUPPORT YOUR DDs, DAMNIT!

That about sums it up.

And yeah some caps are bad news at the start and i wont go to then no matter how much the team moans about it, i either get wiped out or the team follows me there and they never move from that cap, some caps just promote camping and or stalemate.

[FOXEH]
Members
3,321 posts
11,848 battles
4 hours ago, CaptGodzillaPig said:

^This is how I view DD play.

Exactly how it should be played.

[CAST]
Members
1,158 posts
7,174 battles

Sometimes you have to play the wait game in a DD.  If you can get the enemy DDs to start the cap first and then smoke up, then you have info.  You know they are there and you know where they are.  Plus, they have used one of their smokes and will be on cool down once it expires.  As time ticks by, you become more powerful because you didn't charge right in and didn't use your smoke right away.  You give up the early cap, but there is a really good chance that you will cap it soon after and then keep it.  That is more valuable than capping early and risk losing your DD.

[ADOPT]
Members
188 posts
11,797 battles
7 hours ago, Taichunger said:

Kaybee has the right of it. You can play capper three ways (1) noisy knife fighter if you have support (2) silent capper (3) circle the cap for a bit before diving in.

In Z-52 I am leaning more and more toward 2 and 3. At T10 BBs and cruisers can hit you from any range and other DD drivers, even in IJN DDs, can wreck you. (2) works well  -- you can never fire and never be spotted, stay angled so you can exit fast, and hold the other DDs in the cap while you spam out torps faster than they do since you're in Z-52 so they eat a torp or their nerves break and they leave. (3) is actually a variant of the same strategy -- you enter the cap with cap half complete, pinning the Red DDs in the cap until something spots them or your torps get them or their nerves break and they leave. 

You can also simply let them cap and leave, and then grab the cap. But that is suboptimal because it concedes the points and also lets the Red DDs have the initiative in going after your ships pushing up.

Of course, with the prevalence of radar degrading high tier game play -- things were so much better before that garbage was introduced into the game -- radar ships have to be vigilantly watched for. 

Z-52 does really well divved, but especially with a Gearing, I've found.

All this changes when someone has brought a CV. If there is a CV everything depends on whether your CV driver can push Red's fighters off the caps so you can cap. If he can't, may as well just exit the match and find a match where your play actually means something. @issm is right -- CV vision is too powerful. WG is attempting sell "balance" as tinkering with CV strike packages, but in truth the most OP thing about CVs is that they spot DDs and their torps. That vision, especially torp spotting, needs to be removed to balance CVs, but WG isn't even addressing the vision issue.

I had a situation in the z23 a couple of days ago where I took a little extra time to recon the cap before going in and had a CA captain TK me because I wasn't doing it fast enough for his liking.  Told him he was more than welcome to take the initiative and cap in my place if he was up to the task. Then he went pink. LOL

[RIPQP]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Supertester
725 posts
7,647 battles

I think one of the biggest misconceptions about the Z-52 and other German DD's is that you NEED to contest a cap right off the bat. Even with your hydro advantage, you'll still end up trading some HP when fighting another destroyer, and at the beginning of the match, most of the enemy team will probably be aiming at the cap, knowing that a DD will most likely get spotted. With the Z-52's massive size, a well placed BB AP salvo will ruin your day. 

As others have said, it's sometimes better in these DD heavy matches to hang back at the beginning and only go for the cap contesting once you know where all the enemy DD's and radars are. The German DD"s are all about ambushes and forcing engagements on your terms. Whether that be a 1 vs. 1 with smoke/hydro, or a 2+ vs. 1 in open water, being able to trade in a favourable position is your top priority. Late game, the Z-52's torp reload with AR active and your hydro will be a game changer, so staying alive through early and mid-game is important.

Whereas the Shimakaze and Gearing have massive alpha strikes that can be successful early game, the Z-52 (and the Khaba) are attrition DD's. They are both great at stacking DOT damage, but that is also a downside, as early game and fast matches reduce the impact you can have on a match.

Divisioning with another DD or a cruiser with the Z-52 is also very potent, and can allow to successfully contest caps right off the bat, whereas solo you should wait till mid-game before doing so.

Sounds like you have some of this figured out already, so this may not even be useful to you, but there's my 2 cents.

[MKF]
Members
399 posts
14,829 battles
11 hours ago, CaptGodzillaPig said:

Much great advice above. I always push caps early but I'm never afraid to bail if there is a disadvantage... if it's clear we have the upper hand or its 1v1 I become more aggressive. I noticed the Z52 can get hit hard quick so I try not to waste health early, you can always come back for a cap if the odds aren't in your favor

Members
2,437 posts
12,175 battles

I haven't read through all but my .02.... The 52 is a great torp slinger with that fast reload, so sling em as often as you can. If they are ready I fire them even when no targets exist just try to send them in strategic places, I use my own torp reload timer to activate my hydro----- , say 20-30 seconds left on my second reload is about when enemy torps should be rolling through. So many times I see people say...."hydro up" and its not even possible for torps to be incoming yet.

Huge fan of Rpf on the 52 because there are so many dd's that out spot you, combined with its cumbersome maneuverability I hate getting spotted in that thing.