You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
warpath_33

Akatsuki Guide?

12 comments in this topic

[H-W-C]
Members
1,259 posts
3,306 battles

My record in Akatsuki is abysmal so far with only 7(!) out of 23(!!) battles won and is ninth from the bottom in terms of win rate in my profile summary. I don't really want to practice in Co-op because I don't feel that fighting bots in Co-op will give me a "realistic" experience.

Links to up to date guides and tips would be appreciated. How my Akatsuki is currently set up below:

Modules:

B Hull

Stock GFCS

Type 90 mod.1 torpedoes (the upgraded torps)

Captain Skills:

Preventive Maintenance

Last Stand

Superintendent

Concealment Expert

Upgrades and Camo:

Main Armaments Mod 1

Main Battery Mod 2

Steering Gears Mod 1

Steering Gears Mod 2

Type 5 Camo

Signals:

Equal Speed Charlie London 

India Bravo Terathree

Sierra Mike

November Foxtrot

Victor Lima

Juliet Whisky Unaone

Juliet Charlie

I also fly The Hard Fought Victory flag, if you must know.

My AA is turned off unless Planes fly through my air detection range and I tend to fire all nine torpedoes at once (not a good idea, I know).

Have some replays of some of my better/average games to analyze how I play(yes I do like aiming in and out for no reason and hitting other buttons down the left side of my keyboard for no reason)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/icfnb2ellhr5wb7/Akat help example 1.wowsreplay?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2f15dyqvknw7v5u/Akat help example 2.wowsreplay?dl=0

You may, if you read my earlier thread regarding Pan-Asian DDs, recognize it as the result of the second replay.

Edited by warpath_33
changed replay links
  • Cool 1

Members
4,743 posts
5,464 battles

Swap out SI for TAE. You have 3x3 launchers so use them as your asset when fighting. They reload pretty quick, but TAE makes it quicker, and that's always a good thing. You'll want to be putting fish in the water as often as possible with that configuration.

If you have an Engine Boost Mod. 1, I'd swap it out with SGM1, otherwise, I'd put PSM1 on there insead. Dead engines in a destroyer is a death sentence, much more so than a dead rudder(LS covers any broken rudders, you're still maneuverable enough with a broken rudder when running LS).

Other than that, I'd suggest just working on getting your captain skilled up more. Go for skills that fit your playstyle. I personally run a hybrid build in my Akatsuki. Since that has confused a few in the past, I'll just quote what I once typed up to explain it.

Spoiler

I go for a 'hybrid' build, where I invest skills into gun enhancement and torpedo enhancement.

To explain what I mean, I'll quote myself from another thread about the same thing:

On 4/3/2017 at 6:53 PM, GhostSwordsman said:

No, 12 points isn't quite enough for a 'hybrid' build. A hybrid build would encompass all skills able to be obtained with 19 points(though 15 points is enough to start).

What I mean by hybrid, is to take skills (and upgrades) that will enhance both your gunnery and torpedoes, though, you'll have to lean one way or the other a bit. I lean towards gunnery a bit more than torpedoes, but that's because dedicated torpedo boats can be really feast or famine. For instance, my Akatsuki has both EM and the MBM 2 upgrade on it, with BFT. What this does, is it brings the 180º rotation time down to 19 seconds**, which allows you to keep your guns on target in hard maneuvers, and the reload penalty is negligible. The reload is about 7.6 seconds*** after all this, I think(don't recall exactly).

This won't make you into a gunboat, but, it does allow you to much better defend yourself with your guns, and in very specific situations, use them to good effect offensively. For a while, I was using TAE to enhance my torpedo capability.(you'll want this too in the 'hybrid' build) Akatsuki's top torps are good enough that you shouldn't necessarily need TA, but it's an option. I used TAE to quicken the reload, and it helps. However, I eventually switched over to SE, as i was finding myself in more situations where I needed the HP because I had to fall back on my guns or my torps weren't doing enough to keep enemies at bay, or just to survive longer into the late game.

Basically, this is my build(15 points):

1: PM

2: EM, LS

3: SE, BFT

4: CE

What I plan to get when I reach 19 points are TAE and PT to complete the build.

This is the order I would take the skills in:

1)PM (1 point)

2)LS (3 points)

3)BFT (6 points)

4)CE (10 points)

5)EM (12 points)

6)SE (15 points)

Followed by(after I achieve the appropriate amount of points):

TAE and PT(though I'm starting to consider EL, as there have been moments where I could have used an ~4 second load time to AP for broadside cruisers that don't know I'm around a corner)

For the upgrade modules, I take:

Main Armaments Mod 1

Main Battery Mod 2

Engine Boost Mod 1 (I use my Akatsuki a lot, so I use the special engine boost upgrade module, if you don't have one, as I highly recommend it, use Propulsion mod 1)

Steering Gears Mod 2 (here, it's sort of a toss up. The Wiki recommends Propulsion Mod 2, which isn't a bad choice as you can start from a dead stop quicker, but I like bringing the 3.2 second rudder shift down to 2.6 seconds. It's a bit more consistent with some of the other IJN DDs when it comes to rudder shift time, and the half second you lose can be a life saver in certain situations, but it's ultimately up to personal preference/playstyle)

Edit: ** The quoted part was posted before a recent buff to IJN DD turret rotation speed. Now, with MBM2 and EM, the 180° rotation time on Akatsuki is 17.2 seconds instead of 19.1 seconds.

*** Just to be exact, as I was just checking the info in-game, the reload is 7.1 seconds on the guns with this setup.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

[KENT]
Members
480 posts
3,037 battles

TAE is definitely useful for IJN DDs.  SI is great, but not as good as TAE.  

Fire torpedoes staggered, the 3 launcher setup is very useful for that.  You can stagger launches around the white indicator line to get hits off in case they dodge.  

Always try to stay away from DDs and closer to enemy BBs.  You can't fight out a Mahan.  Other than that, I'd just say stealthtorp and pray for the best.  

[H-W-C]
Members
1,259 posts
3,306 battles

More reason to complete the Pan-Asian DD missions. Sound like I'm going to need that elite commander xp.

[DOG]
Members
381 posts
5,599 battles

It's primarily a torpedo boat, but the guns are actually better you'd think for a Japanese DD.  It's the slow turret rotation that makes them seem weak.  So, when you get enough commander skill points, I'd take Expert Marksman and combine it with Main Battery Modification 2.  This gets your turrets rotating reasonably quickly.  You still don't want to go 1 on 1 in a gun duel with a U.S., German, or Russian DD.  But at least you won't be completely outclassed.

As others have mentioned, Torpedo Armaments Expert is also desirable.  The 3 triple launchers give you great flexibility, and allow you to spam torpedoes in 3 different directions, allowing you to send 3 along the line your target indicator tells you, and also lead the target with 3, in case he speeds up, and launch 3 behind, in case he slows down, turns, or backs up.

I'm grinding through the Kagero now, and it's not nearly as much fun as the Akatzuki.

Edited by zubalkabir

Members
1,030 posts
95 battles
5 hours ago, zubalkabir said:

I'm grinding through the Kagero now, and it's not nearly as much fun as the Akatzuki.

They are just very different play styles. I actually missed Akatsuki thanks to IJN DD line split, but came back to see what it's like a few days ago. The ship is very nice, but as all T7 dds she struggles with poor concealment, especially when up-tiered, I mean, proper T8-T9 gunboats have better concealment than her. But on the other hand, her torp armament is very versatile, much more so than Kagero or Yugumo.

With Kagero, though, you rely on your amazing stealth more than anything, so this is a big change from Akatsuki. Torp reload booster helps get a more versatile torpedo loadout. Guns on Kagero are more or less the same as Akatsuki, just with slightly worse range. You don't get good IJN guns until you get to Yugumo. I mean... technically they are the same guns as on Kagero, same model, they just fire faster.

[CVA16]
Members
2,174 posts
9,656 battles
7 hours ago, zubalkabir said:

It's the slow turret rotation that makes them seem weak

This has been the case forever in the IJN line with only a few exceptions (Mutsuki and Akizuki come to mind). The guns often do almost as much damage (DPM) as their adversaries ( a figure many will quote to argue things are balanced) but the slow turrets mean you must choose between shooting or dodging. If you have to maneuver, your DPM drops fast. If you are shooting at a target and not being fired at, the guns can be great but in most cases a spotted DD is a priority target. If you don't wiggle, you don't live to see how much damage you can do in a minute.

Members
842 posts

IMHO, the Akatsuki is really a crappy ship - not quite as bad as the Hatsuharu (which was awful before the split, and now merely "terrible"), but not ANY fun at all.

It really boils down to the Matchmaker.  The Akatsuki simply cannot survive when there are T8 and T9 ships around, especially T8/9 DDs.  It's guns are very sub-par, and the lack of the Concealment System mod is killer - virtually every T8 or T9 DD other than the Russian ones has better concealment, and they all have FAR better guns than you (even the IJN ones). You can get out-detected by over a kilometer quite often.  Plus the low heal pool compared to your T8/9 (as much as 25% less) opponents really hurts. 

The T7 Shiratsuyu is in all means better than the Akatsuki - far better concealment, better maneuverability, and the 2x4 torps actually prep you for the Kagero and higher, and the access to a superior Torpedo Reload Booster really helps. The Akatsuki has slightly better guns (6 vs 5), but that's effectively insignificant, since if you're using your guns much in either, you're screwed. The better 25% better torp reload time on the Akatsuki turns out to not mean so much, since you spend a non-trivial amount of time maneuvering for a shot, and the much worse concealment of the Akatsuki means you get much poorer positioning than the Shiratsuyu when you take them.

Unfortunately, the only place that the Akatsuki really does well is when it's top-tier DD and facing mostly T6 or T5 DDs.  That doesn't happen much (I'd estimate less than a quarter of the time).

My advice:  Free XP the Akatsuki to get to the Kagero.  Play the Shiratsuyu instead if you want a T7 IJN DD - stupidly, it's a much more effective torpedo boat than the Akatsuki, and really fits better into the play style you've developed from the Fubuki and will use on the Kagero/Yugumo/Shima.

If you have to play the Akatsuki, then play it VERY conservatively - don't cap unless you're sure nothing else is around, don't Yolo, don't operate by yourself. Stick near friendly CAs, smoke them to help, and spot for them.  You can use your torps to harrass then, as when they're shooting at your friends nearby, you can sneak in torp hits easier.   The required playstyle REALLY sucks, but hey, get used to being screwed, because you play IJN DDs, and they just exist to be WG's butt-boy.

Edited by EAnybody

Members
1,030 posts
95 battles
3 hours ago, EAnybody said:

You can get out-detected by over a kilometer quite often. 

Best concealment on Akatsuki is 6.4 km IIRC. Only Kagero has 5.4 km concealment with full concealment build and most T8-9 will be better, but by a more manageable ranges between 100-600 meters.

Members
842 posts
2 hours ago, geser98 said:

Best concealment on Akatsuki is 6.4 km IIRC. Only Kagero has 5.4 km concealment with full concealment build and most T8-9 will be better, but by a more manageable ranges between 100-600 meters.

But a significant number of Akatsuki folks don't have a 10-point captain in it yet, whereas virtually all T8+ DDs do.   In the BEST case scenario, you're generally out-spotted by 800m+ by IJN DDs, 500m+ by USN & KM DDs, and about 300m by USSR ones.  All of which are fatal to you, as the IJN opponents can avoid you spotting them completely (or target their guns on you ahead of time while you can't), the USN DDs can murder you almost instantly, and the KM and USSR ones take just a little longer - they'll still have time to swing their guns on you before you spot them, and the Akatsuki's guns are insufficient to fight your way out and survive.

If the Akatsuki never saw T8 or T9 DDs, then it would be OK. Not great, but it could be decent.  But the fact that it will play more than half it's matches with those T8/9 DDs around simply hands it a crippling disadvantage that no real skillful play can overcome, unless you happen to play solely against potatoes who have no idea what they're doing.   You can still have the occasional good game in an Akatsuki. But, on average, it's going to be VERY painful. 

Edited by EAnybody