You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CylonRed

It is official - I suck at high tiers....

29 comments in this topic

Members
3,407 posts
6,070 battles

German and US BBs and French cruisers.  Up the line I can deal with any ship - even the bad grinds like the Colorado (just soooo slow - gotta get good RNG but boy if it hits...).   I even can make the La Galissonniere work - great WR for my FR cruiser line - pretty much green across the line on Warships today.  Get to the Charles Martel - can't buy a win - 43% WR and no green.  St Louis - a joke - 28K less than server avg in damage but got up to a 50% WR.  Granted low number of games but going very similar to CM.  Can get cits but few kills - CM and St Louis bounce shells like no tomorrow - even broadside.  Can't even think of going to use AP all of the time.  (woo hoo - 54K damage in the ST L - new high!)

N Caro/Iowa - less than 50% WR avg damage high 49K to low 50K - embarrassing to say the least. 

FdG is the best tier 9 BB but less than 100 games.  WR 57% and avg damage close to server avg at least. 

Not sure what it is at the high tiers - just can't make the high tiers to work for me.

Edited by CylonRed

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

T8 is another gateway tier.    the level of competition is much higher and requires good shooting and patient play, mostly due to the fact that DPM at higher tier makes it deadly to any kind of mistakes.    The fact that you can't make CM work is a sign that you should have gotten better with algerie.          CM is probably best  cruiser at t8 but requires certain style of play.    very much   dodge shoot at long range while using the cover to minimize fire.       st louis is actually more fragile compared to CM.  I just finished my stock grind on st louis a bit while ago, but I am at least average on it . Cruiser play at high tier is very demanding on skill.     once it clicks, you will do well, but you need to be critical about your play style.   

FDG is actually usable BB.   I struggled with stock hull, but once I got over that,  it was pretty  good ship.  my  last 52 matches (90 days)  after I upgraded  hull and speed,  I actually did fairly well.  stock grind sucked though.   

post some replays and get some critical reviews.    or look it over yourself with critical eye.  My guess is that your situation awareness is not quite great yet, and you get into bad situation.      some are tactical mistakes.  learning to minimize those mistakes will go a long way. 

french.png

• Cool 2

[RKLES]
Beta Testers
471 posts
6,389 battles

Des Moines - I suck

Khab - It's a blast

Hipper - I suck

Gearing - fairly good

FDG - I suck

Neptune - One of my favorites

Some high tiers are quite fun, others not quite.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,771 posts
12,878 battles
29 minutes ago, centarina said:

T8 is another gateway tier.    the level of competition is much higher and requires good shooting and patient play, mostly due to the fact that DPM at higher tier makes it deadly to any kind of mistakes.   

^^^This^^^

1.  Experience (shooting).

2.  Patience.

3.  Pricey (mistakes).

These are not mutually exclusive.  Failure in (1) and/or (2), often leads to (3).  In my case, I had to play a good many (painful) high tier games before I figured out how they work.  That is, until I gained the experience and patience to avoid the deadly mistakes.

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

Do this every game: ask yourself if you're doing what you're doing because you don't want people in game to yell at you or because it's what you think you should be doing. A lot of times we put ourselves in bad spots for fear of being nagged- play your game your way. If it doesn't pan out, learn the lesson and apply it. Get a little better each time. 

As you play if you get this little nagging feeling in the back of your mind that you're "just going to go for it" and hope for the best... know that more often than not you'll run into someone who will counter that move at high tier and make you swallow your own load. Don't hang it out there in higher tiers- more often than not you will find players on the other team who will do something right. They don't call it "gambling" because you always win. 

Almost every time I die in high tier it's because I was trying to be the good guy or doing something I knew deep down I shouldn't be doing.  Stay away from those two areas and gradually dial it in to succeed. 

Edited by ENO75

[DRACS]
Members
3,344 posts

Oddly, I have zero problems at tier 8. In fact, in terms of overall WR, I do quite well at that tier despite being only a slightly above average player (51.5% WR after 2000 games). My own brick wall is Tier 9. Ships become so much more sluggish at this tier and I find many of them fairly uncomfortable to play. For example, since someone brought FdG up ... I did SOOOO much better in Bismarck than FdG. It's even more dramatic with USN BBs. I destroyed everything in NC and Alabama, but I do very sucky in Iowa and Missouri. And at tier 10, even post buff Montana I find challenging. I'd rather play Alabama in a tier 10 match than Montana, no joke.

Members
3,407 posts
6,070 battles

One of my big issues is tactics - I have difficulty knowing where the other players are (red team) while those who do really well at high tiers can narrow down where the ships are.  They seem to know what direction the red ships will turn.  I don't do particularily well doing long range sniping as the others can see the shells coming and turn easily. 

First game is the last game from last night - I believe a win on Shatter I think.  Second file is a random St Louis game.  I have screen shots of good damage games in the CM 80-110K damage so I know I could do it but....  Overall sucky. 

20171122_224301_PFSC109-Saint-Louis_38_Canada.wowsreplay

20171122_214538_PFSC109-Saint-Louis_25_sea_hope.wowsreplay

[GN_BR]
Members
124 posts
4,596 battles

My issue is at higher tiers I find it harder to make up for a less than good team where at lower tiers I see to have more carrying potential.

• Cool 1

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

situation and map awareness is probably toughest skills to acquire.  lot of it is experience and knowing where the ships are.     For example,  I shoot my torps from sims into area I know people will come through, and I get hits often with the seamines.  my mates are amazed at it, but seamines are hard to dodge due to low detection.  The biggest thing is to have an exit plan no matter where you are.    that will help you to think about your situation a bit more. 

• Cool 1

[-WS-]
Members
78 posts
4,904 battles

Yea, you really have to think about when to fire and when to hold back up there or you will get smoked.  The more you play the more you will get used to it.

Members
3,407 posts
6,070 battles

I have a game or 2 or 5 before the captain is fully retrained as well - just realized he was not fully trained.  Won't make a huge difference but hopefully some.  I really also seem to spawn a lot by myself or with 2 other ships like the current game I am in.  BB, me, and a DD by ourselves - near the A cap of course.

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles

You have to understand that it turns into a waiting game at the high tiers. Whoever is willing to wait the longest will reap the rewards.

• Cool 1

[TMS]
Members
1,618 posts
21,646 battles
1 hour ago, cthuhulu said:

My issue is at higher tiers I find it harder to make up for a less than good team where at lower tiers I see to have more carrying potential.

Yes It's easier to carry at lower tiers.

About a month ago i did about 5 lower tier battles back to back in a BB and got Kraken in 4 of them.

Edited by Final8ty

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles
7 minutes ago, CylonRed said:

I am nearly getting deleted from ships I can't even see...

WoWs1.PNG

You have to wait like 10 minutes before advancing if you want to survive. That's high tier play for you.

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

with Cruisers,  you have to play the flank and defensively early in the match.      using cover and conceal is very important. if you are spotted at all, start manuevering to reduce chance of long range hit.      I push up aggressively behind DDs but I do use cover to minimize risks.       if you stay at spawn,  you may survive, but won't do well overall.   camping  are only slightly better than yolo.     knowing amount to push and when to push is what is important.    

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,771 posts
12,878 battles
1 hour ago, CylonRed said:

I am nearly getting deleted from ships I can't even see...

Here's how that happens.  A red DD spots your CA...but you can't see the red DD.  Then a red BB with cover fires at you.  Unless there is a green within the LOS bloom of the BB, you will never the ship that fired the shot or possibly even see this shot coming.  And if you're the FIRST CA to get spotted, multiply this times the number of red BBs in range, and at best you can limp away with half your health pool left.

Don't get detected early.  And if you are in a situation where that will occur, you better have cover and/or speed.  I don't have to mention avoiding broadside fire.

Edited by Soshi_Sone

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Low tier and Co-Op play are not good exp for the higher tier play styles. The Meta Changes at such a dramatic rate. Playing the tier is the only way to actually learn the quirks. High tier has different maps different strategies and different caliber players. Grinding through the tier 8 ships will very soon show you the mean streets of upper tiers. Die early Die often.{Survival at tier 8 is the learning curve} {Doing good at tier 9 and surviving is the next step}

Members
878 posts
8,950 battles

I like T9/10 best.  T5-8 are fun unless you are bottom barrel.  You do get more frequent boneheads at low tier, but high tier has it's share - sometimes it's me!

Beta Testers
1,119 posts
2,418 battles

Yeah, its the tier where youre back to getting instagibbed for your mistakes. The days of bb shotgun dispersion is over and so are straight line rush into caps.

Members
3,629 posts
13,443 battles

I don't play my tier 8 Cruisers anymore since I'm far more often than not a bottom tiered damage piñata for tier 10s. I don't do too badly with Saint-Louis, I sucketh horribly with Des Moines, and I do pretty decently with Hindenberg.

I've been playing the mid tiers lately, mostly with Fiji and De Grasse, and I find those battles to be more fun than the high tiers.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,582 posts
14,010 battles

A lot of people's performance drops some with high tier ships.  The meta there is absolutely unforgiving for every ship type.  You may do good in prior tiers, averaging say a 50-55% WR, but it's not surprising for people's Tier IX-X ships to be at 45-50% for Captain Average Joe.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway