You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_TheEntireUniverse_

Favorite ships to go hunting destroyers in?

72 comments in this topic

[TBOW]
Members
1,184 posts
10,432 battles

IJN Cruisers are good for this as are the USN Cruisers because of their HE.  And some RN BBs are good too.

[PVE]
Members
5,311 posts
17,781 battles

I love the Atlanta for killing destroyers, with IFHE she just shreds them. Hydro and Radar makes the Atlanta a destroyer munching fool. 

• Cool 4

[KOOKS]
Beta Testers
267 posts
8,713 battles

Flint shines, Minotaur gives nasty surprises (specially using radar), Des moines is a true DD killer (Rof, nice radar). Love my DM Donskoy. Any russian gunship also a true killer (guns plus speed)

Those are great, but anyone with radar and Rof will do. Or gunner DDs (akizuki has low speed, Black really great, Kidd good also).

Members
343 posts
6,782 battles

Lately I've started grinding the RN BB line and have had good luck against DDs with the Orion.

They best part? I don't have to chase after them, they come to ME!

[FOXEH]
Members
3,321 posts
11,853 battles

Any CL will work well for me...

[GWG]
Members
163 posts
3,483 battles

I love seeing DD's when I'm in my Atlanta... especially when they're not paying attention to ME.

Edited by Darksaint1071
Wrong Quote

Members
3,553 posts
6,867 battles

Bismarck with max secondaries an max fire %. Surprising how often you can kill DDs with fire.

But Roon, Hindenburg and Moskva with DDs are like a terrier with a rat.

[OPGS]
Members
608 posts
4,038 battles

British cruisers are really good at killing destroyers provided you are within 10k of them. They have the rate of fire and the special AP hurt. I think it start working well T4+ 

• Cool 2

Members
4,451 posts
6,152 battles

In tier 3....Bogatyr shooting AP.  That's right...AP. Lotta guns and I have blown up full health DDs with a single on-target salvo and hits with AP tend to hurt em bad if you don't outright kill them.  HE is fine also but don't be afraid to shoot AP at them in that low tier in that ship. My opinion.  Sure some would disagree.

Edited by dmckay
  • Cool 1

[SF-A]
Members
2,848 posts
5,548 battles

Americans get radar

Russians get radar 

Germans get good hydro

British get smoke, hydro, and great AP

French have good torp angles and accurate HE

I would really only not recommend IJN, their ROF is too slow to react quickly enough for my taste. 

[PVE]
Members
5,311 posts
17,781 battles
7 minutes ago, pewpewpew42 said:

I would really only not recommend IJN, their ROF is too slow to react quickly enough for my taste. 

Most definitely. I have had lots of trouble with IJN cruisers fighting destroyers at mid to close range because the guns just turn so slowly. 

[RKLES]
Beta Testers
471 posts
6,392 battles

Quite anxious to see the Cleaveland after the US cruiser line split.  If they take it back to it's former glory, it will be one scary DD hunter.

As for today... any American DD.  Whenever I jump into a game in a DD, the first thing I look for is American DD's, Fletchers in particularly.

[ARMDG]
WoWS Wiki Editor
794 posts

Good 'ol Scharnhorst for me.

Gotta love her derpy guns. 

Edited by TheZeke00

Beta Testers
365 posts
9,161 battles
5 minutes ago, Capt_Binkley said:

Quite anxious to see the Cleaveland after the US cruiser line split.  If they take it back to it's former glory, it will be one scary DD hunter.

As for today... any American DD.  Whenever I jump into a game in a DD, the first thing I look for is American DD's, Fletchers in particularly.

I can't help but think the Cleveland at T8 will get torn to shreds, especially in T10 games even when restored to CB status.

On topic Hindy is great at hunting DD's, 15 gun Mogami is fun too...and Fiji.

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,180 posts
2,029 battles

d'Aosta does a great job.

So did Bertin

[WOLFB]
Members
1,658 posts
8,045 battles

Russian cruiser has good range, shell velocity, reload and radar. If you're radar and a Chapayev, Schors or whatever Russian cruiser is nearby, you can only hope the player is bad at aiming.

US Cruiser are decent at chasing DD. They lack shell velocity to really land proper shell and their reload is meh. But once you get the Des Moine, you just melt DD with your 30 sec radar and 4 sec reload

RN Cruiser has concealment, reload and good AP . In these ship you eat DD for breakfast. You can also trade smoke for radar .

Germain cruiser are not bad but they lack concealment to actively chase DD. Their hydro is really powerfull and they can prevent DD to aggressively push but they are not good at chasing. They are slow, not really manoeuvrable. French has crap concealment but they catch up a DD with their speed boost. IJN only have speed and concealment, their gun take time to both traverse and reload, so unless you can land massive hit on each volley you will struggle

If your goal is to purely hunt DD, go for the RN cruiser.

[LOU1]
Members
2,871 posts
7,996 battles

I notice 500 battles so, probably not to Tier 8/9/10 yet.  I like anything with decent speed and maneuverability, good ROF, and decent/fast turrets.  The trick is that any decent DD has some type of CA/CL/BB backup or a partner DD.  Once you open up on them, you will probably end up fighting them while evading/fighting their support.  I like some of the RN CLs, Marblehead, Perth, and the USN gunboat DDs (Clemson, Farragut, etc.).  Be careful of DDs and other ships with slow turrets and/or ROF, otherwise your target will circle you and you will be unable to shoot them while they shoot/torp you, or they will escape/torp you while you are reloading.  Another benefit of using a DD as a DD hunter is the concealment factor.  A decent DD Captain in a 5.5/5.8km concealment DD can easily stay 6.5km away from you and you won't know they are there unless you have low concealment also.

Number one advice:  play DDs some so you learn how they are played and what they can do.  If you learn that, you can better anticipate their moves and hit DDs more often at range with any ship...

• Cool 1