You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

Isokaze gameplay

6 comments in this topic

[DBM]
Members
345 posts
3,796 battles

Attached is latest game in my Isokaze.  It looks like I've finally gotten the hang of this little dd (Damage per game, torp hits, and kills/game).  I still struggle when I'm on a CAP and a red gunboat dd shows up.  I can't hit them with torps and if I try and get more than a few gun hits before beating feet out of the CAP, I take too much damage.

What is the best strategy when spotted by a gunboat?  Should you pop smoke and spam torps?  Should you exit the CAP and circle around the periphery trying to take out cruisers and BBs? Or, should you exit the general area and go to another CAP?

Capture.JPG

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
699 posts
11,657 battles

Every match is different, of course. But I think it is fair to say that you might have more consistent success spotting enemy DDs (if you have your captain spec'd for concealment) and allowing your cruisers to kill it while you move away and avoid being seen. Just ping them for your team and try to stay out of sight. In a straight up gunfight against, say, Clemson or Izyaslav, you are at a decided disadvantage. While you can kill DDs with torpedoess, it depends a great deal on how well they can maneuver rather than on how well you aim. I much prefer to use torpedoes on larger ships that cannot as easily dodge them.

Respects,

Am

[POP]
Members
1,224 posts
8,007 battles

What Amracil said. Isokaze is a ninja murder boat. Your goal is to not be seen the entire game. 

A few things I do (and I love the Isokaze)
1) Take a look at the enemy team roster. Do they have more or fewer DDs, Which DDs are they? If there's lots of gunboats, then you want to go where they aren't. Avoid caps. Yes, avoid caps. Skirt the edge and get behind the DD line to kill BBs. A move like that can be game winning... if you're careful. 

2) Look at the map. Where will enemy DDs go? Caps mostly. The Big Race map has DD alley, which is that SW section. All the DDs tend to spawn in that area. For the Isokaze, head for the middle to torp BBs as they move North or to get into the cap when the enemy is away from it. 

3) Fire all your fish into DD smoke or around edges. Isokaze torps reload in like 30 seconds. Use them. 

4) Start turning, THEN smoke. Not the other way around. 

5) If you are spotted and aren't hitting the Q or E keys, then you're doing it wrong. Constantly... not once every few seconds. Constantly. 

6) Use boost to get away from battle, not to charge toward it. 

You have to get really lucky to get a DD with Isokaze torps and she won't win a gun duel with anything. But if you're doing the above, you'll live longer, which means you're more likely to get lucky. Especially at low tiers, just firing into smoke will often get you a kill. 

On the other hand, do NOT hide in smoke. If it's dangerous enough for you to smoke, you should be running. 

Now, toward the end game, then it's possible to sit in smoke and shoot at BBs and wait for your fish to reload. But make sure you know where everything is and where the threats are. Enemy cruiser on other side of map... who cares. Enemy cruiser 7 km away? Care and don't shoot unless the cruiser is heavily damaged. 

Also, aim for ships with poor turning, BBs and slow cruisers (St. Louis for example). 

Have fun. 

[TF16B]
Members
8,038 posts
16,968 battles
56 minutes ago, OgreMkV said:

6) Use boost to get away from battle, not to charge toward it. 

I would like to give two exceptions to this; 1: use boost to get into terrain cover for an ambush if moving normal speed means you might get spotted. 2: use boost for an ambush; if a target (preferably one by itself,) is within 5k, (preferably less,) use boost to break cover, make your attack, then to run back into cover.

[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Members, Supertester, WoWS Community Contributors
4,671 posts
15,162 battles

Feel free to send me the replay I'd be happy to comment on it :)

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,796 battles

When contesting a cap (always with the support of your team), a tactic I've seen work well is to bait the other DD into firing (while refraining from firing yourself) and, when he does, smoke and let your team mates kill him. Simple, yet effective.