Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Prothall

Could wargamming please rethink combat missions?

14 comments in this topic

Members
449 posts
12,217 battles

I am playing a tier 5 destroyer and I am trying to get the 50,000 flooding damage for the second part. I have played 14 games so far on this stage and I have a grand total of 11,000 flooding damage. The problem is a good destroyer does not shoot to wound the enemy. To win you want him to sink. I haven't changed my play style for the mission and I don't want to. My style has won 11 of the 14 games. I have had 4 games of 5 or more kills and at least 3 with 100k damage, so my productivity is not the issue.

The problem is they sink and they do not flood. Wargaming is enticing players to wound targets and not really play to win. I think 50k flooding is a bit excessive and maybe you should have just added in more torpedo damage. I think many people will get hung up on this flood damage and not be able to complete the mission.

Members
1,246 posts
20,636 battles

Well, the nice thing is that this mission lasts 'til 11/29/17, and as time ticks away we may see the added benefit of torps flying hither and yon with little regard for pinkness, as DD players ditch their usual care and patience when stalking the enemy.

Edited by slokill_1

[WOLF3]
Members
157 posts
5,518 battles
25 minutes ago, Spartias said:

*Cough Cough*

Play moar CV

Destroyers only stipulation :[

[TF16B]
Members
8,064 posts
17,019 battles
1 hour ago, Prothall said:

I am playing a tier 5 destroyer and I am trying to get the 50,000 flooding damage for the second part.

Out of curiosity; which mission is this?

Right now I'm doing stage four of the first Pan Asia mission, and all you need for it is a win, 2k flooding, and 20k damage...

[SF-3]
Members
1,442 posts
7,919 battles

Two options, play the game you always do and hopefully complete the mission, or play the game the way it wants you to and easily complete the mission and move on with your life.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,783 posts
14,864 battles
1 hour ago, Prothall said:

The problem is they sink and they do not flood.

You can cause flood damage like this:

Playing a torpedus DD, pick a lone BB as a target and maneuver into torp range.

Fire torps and hit the BB, causing him to repair.

After he repairs, fire additional torps, hitting him again and causing flooding he cannot stop because his repair is on cool down.

Laugh while he floods and, eventually, sinks.

Members
449 posts
12,217 battles

What umikami is saying is exactly what I do not want wargaming to condone. A player should be shooting to kill, not to wound. Wounded enemies can still shoot.

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
700 posts
11,704 battles
Just now, Prothall said:

What umikami is saying is exactly what I do not want wargaming to condone. A player should be shooting to kill, not to wound. Wounded enemies can still shoot.

With respect, sometimes firing salvos at intervals is a perfectly valid tactical decision. I think this is particularly true when playing against experienced captains who are aware that sailing in a straight line and/or at a constant speed makes them susceptible to deletion by torpedo attack. It is true that firing a tight spread can mean you sink whatever you hit, but that (imo) gets increasingly difficult to make happen at higher tiers. It looks like most of your DD games are at low tiers, where players often have no idea how important speed and course changes are to their survival. Which brings me to mention that it is much easier to get flooding damage at higher tiers, where ships have a lot more hit points.

Best regards,

Am

[AFW-]
Members
248 posts
9,746 battles
46 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Out of curiosity; which mission is this?

Right now I'm doing stage four of the first Pan Asia mission, and all you need for it is a win, 2k flooding, and 20k damage...

its the new Pan asia mission out now ...stage 2

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,268 posts

...another twist is observe the minimap carefully... watch what ships have been hit and repaired. As soon as you see fire going out or their health stabilized, go after them with a single salvo. You do not want all your torps to hit, just one, maybe two. 

Sign in to follow this