You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
6thGuards

Atlanta or Prinz Eugen?

40 comments in this topic

[ONE]
Members
253 posts
8,012 battles

Which one?  Torn between the two, only reason I am interested in the Atlanta is because I hate seeing them in the game.

Alpha Tester
1,299 posts
9,262 battles

Neither are really worth the money if u ask me. Otherwise I have both and personally I'll never buy the Atlanta (got it free from a stream) but I'd consider buying a Prinz Eugen. (Obviously I got her)

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,453 posts
6,631 battles

Atlanta is fairly unique in game, at her tier. Prinz Eugen is a Hipper clone, basically a reskin. The Hipper clone is a superb heavy cruiser, Atlanta is strange?

[MIA-I]
[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,712 posts
4,689 battles

I'd say Atlanta simply because if you want a Prinz get the Hipper.  Sure Prinz doesn't have the benefits of premium status but it's pretty much the same thing.  Atlanta at least offers a different playstyle and those rapid fire guns are fun.  But again, Atlanta is different, she requires you to play her to her strengths, if this is something you don't want to do or have issues doing you might not have much fun in her. 

Members
974 posts
1,871 battles
1 minute ago, vonKaiser said:

I'd say Atlanta simply because if you want a Prinz get the Hipper.  Sure Prinz doesn't have the benefits of premium status but it's pretty much the same thing.  Atlanta at least offers a different playstyle and those rapid fire guns are fun.  But again, Atlanta is different, she requires you to play her to her strengths, if this is something you don't want to do or have issues doing you might not have much fun in her. 

sure the prinz is just a hupper but as you said she gets premium bonus and is one of the best german captain trainers

[MIA-I]
[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,712 posts
4,689 battles
1 minute ago, skull_122_steel said:

sure the prinz is just a hupper but as you said she gets premium bonus and is one of the best german captain trainers

True but according to his profile he's already got the Tirpitz, Scharnhorst, Konig Albert, and the Spee.  With all those, another trainer I wouldn't really think necessary.  Where as the skills learned in the Atlanta will help with a majority of the USN Cruisers and some of the DD's arguably. 

• Cool 2

[ONE]
Members
253 posts
8,012 battles
7 minutes ago, vonKaiser said:

True but according to his profile he's already got the Tirpitz, Scharnhorst, Konig Albert, and the Spee.  With all those, another trainer I wouldn't really think necessary.  Where as the skills learned in the Atlanta will help with a majority of the USN Cruisers and some of the DD's arguably. 

Most I buy are based purely on the ship's history and not any of the training aspects of the ships.  The history of the Prinz Eugen is why I was considering buying it, with the Atlanta mainly to learn the aspects of the game version of the ship.

[ONE]
Members
253 posts
8,012 battles

Guys, thanks for the comments and advice.  The Atlanta I have seen in the game numerous times but the Prinz Eugen only once in the five months I have been playing the game.

Members
3,628 posts
13,419 battles

Atlanta; Insane RoF and respectable damage to Cruisers if you have IFHE and has decent maneuverability. Her AA is sweet as long as you're not bottom tiered against tier 9 CVs. (tier 9 CVs laugh at 'Lanta) On the downside, she's super squishy. She's a huge DD with no smoke and a massive citadel that can be cited by anything/everything. She's the squishiest CL that I've ever played.

Prinz Eugen; She's a very tough CA with hard hitting guns and is very maneuverable. She does great as long as she's not bottom tiered against tier 10s. (which happens more often than not) Against tier 10s she's outclassed in every way, her opponents have more guns that load faster with longer range and have heals and a larger health pool. She's a solid ship but is far too often bottom tiered and badly outclassed.

Edited by ReddNekk

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,567 posts
14,005 battles

Prinz Eugen?  Get Admiral Hipper for free in the tech tree.  The Tier VIII German Cruisers aren't all that, TBH.  Hipper and Prinz however are bottom feeders in Tier VIII Cruisers.  When you look at their port stats, it's baffling to see these ships struggle in performance, but there they are, below 50% win rates and anemic damage average.

Atlanta?  She's a very unforgiving ship.  She's fun and when played correctly, can have an impact for team success.  But she is so flimsy and easy to destroy.  Even worse, she has that reputation that she's easy to destroy, so once you're detected you can watch your Priority Target counter skyrocket as everyone and their grandmother tries to kill you.  All it takes is one lucky hit and Atlanta easily implodes.  In terms of protection, she's worse than Emerald.  Emerald has repair party, Atlanta doesn't :Smile_teethhappy:

[SOA]
Alpha Tester
553 posts
2,474 battles

Prinz Eugen is gorgeous; for me it is one of the best-looking ships in the entire game (prettier than Hipper by a country mile). But other than that, there's nothing to recommend it over the tech tree Hipper, really. They're supposed to be all-arounders, but in fact they aren't really very good at anything. They're mediocre tier 8s and very difficult to carry games in. It is worth noting Prinz' historical significance, though. That and its looks are the two main reasons I picked it up, and while I don't regret the purchase, I rarely play it.

Atlanta is unique and very powerful within its (admittedly situational) niche. It is also difficult to carry games in, but hilarious when you get to do it. It also has the benefit of being tier 7, which means you wind up being top tier far more often than most 8s do, these days.

--Helms

[MIA-I]
[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,712 posts
4,689 battles
17 minutes ago, 6thGuards said:

Most I buy are based purely on the ship's history and not any of the training aspects of the ships.  The history of the Prinz Eugen is why I was considering buying it, with the Atlanta mainly to learn the aspects of the game version of the ship.

From the history aspect yeah I can understand that.  It's why I have the Oleg and the Cambeltown lol.  But what it comes down too in that regard...  Which do you enjoy?  Personally for a long time I shied away from Cruiser gameplay at Tier 8+, I wasn't too good with it, not until recently did I make a concentrated effort to learn and try to do well at the higher tiers that the Hipper will often face. 

Tiers 5/6/7 was mainly my comfort zone so I overlooked Eugen during the sale of her on top of the fact that I was grinding Hipper around the same time and didn't much care for the gameplay style of her.  It wasn't until my final few games where Hipper and I kind of "clicked" so now, I'd contemplate the purchase of her, but at the same time I remember how the Hipper played and I've got plenty of other German premiums that I can train with. 

Mainly, I'd suggest looking into the history, both have plenty of that, but then I'd also add in the tier and what your comfortable with.  On top of that as well, your playstyle and how you play the game.  Whichever one ticks the most boxes, go for that one.  But again, just my two cents. 

• Cool 1

Members
974 posts
1,871 battles
20 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Prinz Eugen?  Get Admiral Hipper for free in the tech tree.  The Tier VIII German Cruisers aren't all that, TBH.  Hipper and Prinz however are bottom feeders in Tier VIII Cruisers.  When you look at their port stats, it's baffling to see these ships struggle in performance, but there they are, below 50% win rates and anemic damage average.

the Hipper is a fun ship if not good she has bad stats because it requires a completely different play style then the ships that came before it it is the same problem that the pepsi and fury taco have among other things

• Cool 1

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles
1 hour ago, 6thGuards said:

Which one?  Torn between the two, only reason I am interested in the Atlanta is because I hate seeing them in the game.

Atlanta is only rarely there for purchase, besides the Admiral Hipper is almost the same as Prinz Eugen.

I say buy the Atlanta or if you're good enough you can earn the Flint from ranked I suppose?

But If you want to buy one of them I say Atlanta is the way to go.

Members
842 posts

To be honest, if you're interested in the Historical collection, BUY A DAMNED MODEL of the ship, don't buy a "digital good".

When WoWS shuts down in a couple of years (at most), you're left with what?  A physical model is a far, far, far better choice for a collector.

Here you go:

https://www.amazon.com/Trumpeter-German-Prinz-Eugen-Cruiser/dp/B002M7C5SE

Half the price of the WoWS ship, and it can be yours for the rest of your life.

Buy a ship in WoWS because you enjoy playing it. That's it.  Anything other than that is purely drinking WG's KoolAid and doing nothing other than paying them to fleece you. You're buying into their marketing, nothing more.

Edited by EAnybody
  • Angry 1

[GRFOX]
Members
2,204 posts
4,521 battles

Prinz isn’t a Hipper clone. Prinz has more Hull points and prints credits. I play Prinz daily I rarely play Atlanta due to the fact carriers are hit and miss more miss lately

Edited by GreyFox78659
  • Cool 1

Members
2,274 posts
7,307 battles

I have the same question, i was thinking of buying a cruiser, but i dont know wich one of the two. 

[ONE]
Members
253 posts
8,012 battles
2 hours ago, EAnybody said:

To be honest, if you're interested in the Historical collection, BUY A DAMNED MODEL of the ship, don't buy a "digital good".

When WoWS shuts down in a couple of years (at most), you're left with what?  A physical model is a far, far, far better choice for a collector.

Here you go:

https://www.amazon.com/Trumpeter-German-Prinz-Eugen-Cruiser/dp/B002M7C5SE

Half the price of the WoWS ship, and it can be yours for the rest of your life.

Buy a ship in WoWS because you enjoy playing it. That's it.  Anything other than that is purely drinking WG's KoolAid and doing nothing other than paying them to fleece you. You're buying into their marketing, nothing more.

Thanks but not interested in models.  I play the game to relax after working on these during the day in my other hobby.

351a.jpg

[ONE]
Members
253 posts
8,012 battles
3 hours ago, Silver_kun said:

Atlanta is only rarely there for purchase, besides the Admiral Hipper is almost the same as Prinz Eugen.

I say buy the Atlanta or if you're good enough you can earn the Flint from ranked I suppose?

But If you want to buy one of them I say Atlanta is the way to go.

I was leaning that way since the Hipper is available in the tech tree.  Cleveland is similar as the Atlanta but different enough.

Edited by 6thGuards

Members
1,504 posts
7,919 battles

Hey

The prinz Eugen is the better buy; your more likely to survive game after game in the P.E. and is more useful for the team.   The Atlanta is more comical to watch shooting rounds however but if I had to chose only one:  Prinz Eugen,, not to mention the ultra cool history factor.  If you get it; take the double steering gears over concealment.

Pete

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,567 posts
14,005 battles
3 hours ago, Xlap said:

I have the same question, i was thinking of buying a cruiser, but i dont know wich one of the two. 

My credentials, so you know I'm not some forum poster that doesn't even have these two ships, nor have ample time with them.

Atlanta is my most played ship with 397 matches.

Prinz Eugen & Admiral Hipper combined, I have 110 matches.  They are clones, Prinz's "Adler" camo is the true separator between the two.

Don't, not these two Premium Cruisers.

Atlanta is totally unforgiving and it's parameters of play are so limiting and super specialized that it's alarming.  Her guns are worthless past 10km and few things are sadder than a RU DD torturing an Atlanta player at 11km.

Atlanta can't run, because the RU DD is faster.

Atlanta can't hide, because the RU DD is stealthier.

Atlanta can't outgun the RU DD because the RU ship's guns are actually useful in hitting things past 10km.

Atlanta has a citadel, the RU DD doesn't.

Atlanta is notoriously bad in protection and everyone knows this.  When you're detected everyone will try to crush you.

Prinz Eugen?  Admiral Hipper in the tech tree is the same godd*mn ship.  Port stats wise, she looks tougher compared to New Orleans, but honestly, in the tier she plays in where the Battleships get absolutely stronger, Prinz's armor is as good as New Orleans:  Worthless.  356mm shells from Tier VI BBs will still obliterate you.  I can go on and on.  And if you don't want to take my word for any of this?  I'll just leave this here:

cLLaAgo.jpg

IMO, Tier VIII Cruisers are a dead spot in this game.  BBs, DDs scale well for the challenges of Tier VIII and High Tier play.  Almost all the Cruisers and Carriers don't.  Specifically for Cruisers, they don't have the hitting power, the repair party, no helpful gimmicks to help them out.  Prinz Eugen has nothing, except nice camo bonus in the Adler Camo that you have to spend 3000 DOUBLOONS ON AFTER BUYING THE D@MN PREMIUM SHIP.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Camouflage#Permanent_Camouflage

Prinz / Hipper aren't all that.  Guns, armor, mediocre stuff for Tier VIII.  The ROF is slow when you're facing Roon, Baltimore, Hindenburg that can shoot at 8.8 seconds.  You got no repair party.  You got no smoke.  Tier VI BBs obliterate you.  There's nothing really redeeming with Tier VIII German Cruisers.  I will go on and say, for it's tier, Yorck is better at Tier VII than Prinz / Hipper are at Tier VIII.

Tier VIII Cruisers are terrible and need special gimmicks.  Kutuzov is good because she has range, gun spam, SMOKE.  Atago is barely passable because she has tons of guns like all IJN Cruisers do, great stealth.  She has a massive citadel but she has Repair Party.  The others just struggle.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 2

[R-R-R]
Members
969 posts
6,403 battles

If you need a German commander trainer, go with Prinz Eugen. I think she has some extra commander EXP reward even by premium standard. 

However, gameplay wise, she is essentially a Hipper copy. Nothing exciting here.

Atlanta is a unique ship in playstyle. Not an easy ship to play but can be fun to a lot of ppl. However, she is not a good commander trainer. The skills you will need in her are very different from ones for USN cruisers. You  will need a special commander for her.