Avrova1904

Would be better to skip Queen Elizabeth?

38 comments in this topic

Members
267 posts
4,709 battles

I am really really bad with Queen Elizabeth. I don't know why but I am always destroyed quickly and even some games with an outstanding record of 5000 HP of damage. I can't stand this ship, I feel is slow, very low range, even secundaries, slow turret rotation. I am about to quit British Battleship Line or spend money to advance this...

[-K-]
Members
5,086 posts
8,969 battles

Let's be honest.  The tier 6 grind isn't that long, but if you really dislike a ship, Free XP your way through it (I personally save my FXP for upgrading ships).

It's a game made for enjoyment.  Do what you have to do to get the most out of it.

[SALTY]
[SALTY]
Members
258 posts
4,622 battles

Don't skip the Queen. Yes, it's not as good as the Warspite but it's still a good ship. What are you doing with your ship in battle? Are you going in too close or are you staying at range? What ammo type are you using? I have never or barely used HE in that ship, since it has 35% fire chance (Same with Monarch) so I just use AP in her. I had a love/hate relationship with this one. The King George V is definitely a fun ship to play. I had fun with the entire line. The Queen Elizabeth and Monarch I find to be the ships to only use AP, the rest you can shoot HE or switch between the types.

• Cool 1

[1IF]
Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
8,238 battles

The QE is fine, imho.

[EREKT]
Members
768 posts
5,781 battles

her guns are great cruiser deleters using AP, what i do is "trace" the path of the maneuvering cruiser for where i think it's going while shooting sequentially...broadside and sailing straight..forget about it

• Bad 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,694 posts
10,037 battles

If you're going to skip one ship, I'd skip the Monarch. If it's quit the line or skip it, I'd skip QE it because KGV is well worthwhile.

QE is also something of an outlier, going from 10x 41% fire chance (Iron Duke) to 6x 35% to 10x 41%, the only ship it trains you for in any way is Monarch and Monarch's still rather different.

To me Queen Elizabeth is pretty underwhelming, as @ROY4LP4IN says she's not as good as Warspite (AA is not a decent trade for secondaries, maneuverability and turret traverse).

I'd also strongly agree with advice to shoot mostly AP, you have 15in overmatch and underwhelming HE damage. Even on lighter ships shorter fuses make AP a little better than normal.

[SALTY]
[SALTY]
Members
258 posts
4,622 battles
1 minute ago, mofton said:

If you're going to skip one ship, I'd skip the Monarch.

In my opinion, the Monarch is still a very good tier 8 battleship. Sure it doesn't have the fire chance but it's AP is still very good. If anything, the Queen would probably be the one to free xp in this line.

• Cool 1

[WBLDG]
Beta Testers
373 posts
3,582 battles

Honestly I don't think it's a good idea for you to skip the QE, especially given how badly you're faring. Sooner or later you're going to have to learn how to use UK BBs more effectively and the QE is a pretty good tool for training, moreso I think then the KGV where it's easy to disregard AP and simply fire HE all the time. Waiting until the Monarch to handle mixed shells will only make it more painful and expensive.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,694 posts
10,037 battles
39 minutes ago, ROY4LP4IN said:

In my opinion, the Monarch is still a very good tier 8 battleship. Sure it doesn't have the fire chance but it's AP is still very good. If anything, the Queen would probably be the one to free xp in this line.

I didn't think Monarch was weak, just unenjoyable and a symbol of bad decisions. I dislike WG's copy/paste approach to that ship.

The 15in were usable, not the best punch but usable. Just poor synergy with the stealth (where you want accurate alpha rather than ROF). 15in also gets a little sad when uptiered against predominantly US, British and German cruisers. It's kinda sad uptiered anyway. The rear turret angles make it hard to be aggressive in any way, shape or form too. I power ground Monarch in 29 games.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,966 posts
12,487 battles
1 hour ago, aethervox said:

The QE is fine, imho.

^

Members
8,076 posts
17,037 battles
2 hours ago, aethervox said:

The QE is fine, imho.

Yes; but I would add the caveat that (long term) Warspite drivers will have an easier time with it; anyone else will suffer as the Warspite drivers did when she first came out.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,462 posts
10,194 battles

I only played a small number of games in QE and then said enough of this pile of crap. I have played all the other standard T6 BB's and do well, and have even kept them and play them regularly despite reaching T8-T10 in the lines, but the QE just flat sucks! I Free XP'd to KGV. I generally agree with the above poster who said grind the ships and save the Free XP for upgrades but I just couldn't take the QE anymore. HORRIBLE ship. Worth every one of those 30K+ Free XP to finish the needed amount for KGV and get past it. 

I am not a big fan of the HE Spam playstyle of the BRN BB's but the AP was at least useable on Orion and Iron Duke. It is awful on QE and pretty much useless (vs BB). I am giving KGV a try but if I have to be an HE Spammer to continue on with the BRN BB's I am done. I will just play my Hood which is a great ship when I want to play a BRN BB.

I was so looking forward to the BRN BB's but am really disappointed that they made them ships that spam HE from the back row. If I want to spam HE I will play Cruisers. BB's should be AP and wreck stuff with devastating volleys. QE hands down is worst BRN BB I have played T3-T6 + Hood AND is easily the worst standard tech tree T6 BB by a huge margin (IMO).

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[OPEC]
Members
926 posts
5,108 battles

Practice positioning, angling, and ammo selection with her.  She has really good guns, decent AA, but is not fast, so you'll have to think about where you start out on each map.  She isn't very good until you get her upgraded, but that is the case with most BB's...

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,667 posts
14,042 battles
14 hours ago, mofton said:

If you're going to skip one ship, I'd skip the Monarch. If it's quit the line or skip it, I'd skip QE it because KGV is well worthwhile.

QE is also something of an outlier, going from 10x 41% fire chance (Iron Duke) to 6x 35% to 10x 41%, the only ship it trains you for in any way is Monarch and Monarch's still rather different.

To me Queen Elizabeth is pretty underwhelming, as @ROY4LP4IN says she's not as good as Warspite (AA is not a decent trade for secondaries, maneuverability and turret traverse).

I'd also strongly agree with advice to shoot mostly AP, you have 15in overmatch and underwhelming HE damage. Even on lighter ships shorter fuses make AP a little better than normal.

This.

If there's a ship to skip in the RN BB Line, it's Tier VIII Monarch.

Beta Testers
492 posts
4,505 battles

Having just recently gotten to the QE I'm enjoying her a lot more then I did the Iron Duke, one game aside I just couldn't get really decent results from that things guns. Mind you I have a Warspite so some of it I guess is the familiarity and having those 15'" guns that hit a lot harder then the Dukes relative popguns for a Tier 5. Course I've used her mostly for operations and frankly have found the increased AAA worthwhile .

Members
626 posts
1,630 battles
On 11/22/2017 at 2:12 PM, Avrova1904 said:

I am really really bad with Queen Elizabeth. I don't know why but I am always destroyed quickly and even some games with an outstanding record of 5000 HP of damage. I can't stand this ship, I feel is slow, very low range, even secundaries, slow turret rotation. I am about to quit British Battleship Line or spend money to advance this...

I decided to skip it. For me, my reasoning was, there's no more historical ships after T7 anyway and I already had the Warspite. The DOY release allowed me to skip the KGV too. I guess if it's the only line you're working on and/or getting to the Conqueror is really important to you that the QE makes sense, but it's 50,000 free XP and the thing's turrets take 72 seconds to go 180 degrees. Having the Warspite made spending that much money on the QE seem really dumb to me and even if I didn't have it, I'd recommend buying the Warspite over getting the free QE. While the QE being weaker than the premium sister is to be expected, Warspite's maneuverability buffs aren't just helpful but necessary IMO to have fun playing the ship. I don't think the QE's lack of maneuverability can really be adjusted to, it's just a penalty that you have to pay for using the ship, there's BB's with turrets literally twice as fast. With Orion and Iron Duke you're getting T7 level HP shells at T4 and T5 that have a 40% chance of causing a fire , QE is a T6 ship though and it's HP shells are weaker.  

That being said you apparently have already got the thing, so I think the damage has already been done here and the KGV is certainly a ship worth shooting for at T7. That being said until Duke of York came out, I had made the decision to quit the UK BB line as eventually getting the KGV for me personally isn't worth the free XP I'd have to spend on QE to get there, regardless of whether there's a sister on the market. You spent the XP already so you're making a slightly different choice. I don't know much about Monarch but I would never invest the time needed to purchase an entirely (unlike Lion class) made up ship and it seems like the ship isn't a prize at T8 anyway from comments here. 

[OPEC]
Members
926 posts
5,108 battles

She's a good ship, but needs to be fully upgraded to perform at her best.  I personally don't skip ships in a line, because each one usually helps give you experience that you are going to need as you progress to higher tiers.

You'll need to learn how to turn your hull at the same time as you hold down the right mouse button pointing toward the opposite side of your ship from the current alignment of the guns to get your guns around faster (to deal with the turret rotation speed).  She'll also teach you a lot about when to use different ammo types (underrated AP for broadsides and HE against well angled ships).  Lastly, your map positioning will be important because she is not fast.  If you start on one side of the map and turn toward outward to an edge, it will take you a long time to get back to a center position where you can re-engage more targets (and you may be too late getting back to help your team).

If need be, use free XP to upgrade her modules, but don't waste it on the grind itself.  It will teach you valuable things...

[BANT]
Beta Testers
120 posts
4,400 battles

QE is a shocker, it's Myogi-tier bad and one of the worst ships in the game of any class. I wish I had the free xp to skip it, because I absolutely would, but I just got Nelson, so not enough left. QE has absolutely nothing going for it - it's slow, it can't turn for crap, has turrets that find a way to turn even slow than the rudder, it has no armour, the guns are even more wildly inaccurate than Bayern, secondaries at t6 aren't worth much of anything, and the AA suite is only useful in the 1 in 10 games you get a CV on the field.

Iron Duke was boring as all hell to drive, but at least it was incredibly effective at winning. QE is both boring and bad. I hope KGV and beyond are worth it, because I'm stacking XP bonus flags and camo on QE to shorten the grind as much as I can.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,462 posts
10,194 battles
16 hours ago, NTRabbit said:

QE is a shocker, it's Myogi-tier bad and one of the worst ships in the game of any class. I wish I had the free xp to skip it, because I absolutely would, but I just got Nelson, so not enough left. QE has absolutely nothing going for it - it's slow, it can't turn for crap, has turrets that find a way to turn even slow than the rudder, it has no armour, the guns are even more wildly inaccurate than Bayern, secondaries at t6 aren't worth much of anything, and the AA suite is only useful in the 1 in 10 games you get a CV on the field.

Iron Duke was boring as all hell to drive, but at least it was incredibly effective at winning. QE is both boring and bad. I hope KGV and beyond are worth it, because I'm stacking XP bonus flags and camo on QE to shorten the grind as much as I can.

KGV is way better than QE. Hang in there.

• Cool 1

Members
1,513 posts
7,984 battles

Hey

I made it about 2/3's of the way in the QE; but I hated this ship (to be honest, I don't care much for the whole RN BB's so far) and used XP to get the KGV.   I have to be honest; I have not been that impressed with the KGV either, hearing it compared to the Scharnhorst which it is not by a large margin.  If it wasn't for the insane HE, they would not do all that well compared to equal tier ships of other Countries.  I still prefer the Germans over the RN BB's, at least to T7 (highest I am with the RN).

Pete

Alpha Tester
582 posts
4,212 battles

QE is a ship to rebuy and put a 19pt captain on.

She's actually really good, but her advantages don't manifest until you have a captain that can get you MFCAA/AFT/BFT.

Members
288 posts
4,331 battles

Given the complaints about both the main gun accuracy and the slow turret traverse, for those of you who played her, would you recommend Aiming Systems Mod1 or Main Battery Mod2 as the slot 3 upgrade?

Members
626 posts
1,630 battles

Skip the Queen, get Warspite and DOY. Monarch is a fake ship (and a bad ship according to what I've read and the fact I don't really see any of them at T8 despite it being a TT ship) anyway. Yeah it's 70+Free XP to get KGV from the QE right? I'd say if the suffering is almost over might as well finish but otherwise DOY and Warspite is the way to go. Maybe even just DOY if you don't like the QE class in general but Warpsite is a better version of Warspite that's much easier to handle(it's turret rotation is like  almost 20 seconds faster).

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,667 posts
14,042 battles
7 hours ago, Aristotle83 said:

Skip the Queen, get Warspite and DOY. Monarch is a fake ship (and a bad ship according to what I've read and the fact I don't really see any of them at T8 despite it being a TT ship) anyway. Yeah it's 70+Free XP to get KGV from the QE right? I'd say if the suffering is almost over might as well finish but otherwise DOY and Warspite is the way to go. Maybe even just DOY if you don't like the QE class in general but Warpsite is a better version of Warspite that's much easier to handle(it's turret rotation is like  almost 20 seconds faster).

You speak of avoiding suffering but suggest to get Duke of York?

• Funny 2