You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
XpliCT_

Des Moines

37 comments in this topic

[SUCIT]
Members
783 posts
3,496 battles

Does anyone else have those ships you just can't win in?  I just recently got my DM, played about 10-12 games in it, and I think I've won a single game.  I'm averaging over 75k damage and a kill a game, had a game with a Kraken and 170k damage, yet still can't buy a win in the damn thing.  What ships do you guys feel like you do well in, but just can't seem to win a game with?

[SWOB]
Members
2,705 posts
15,550 battles

I think your sample size is a bit too small to make that judgement. There's no reason to believe you won't have a 55% WR in it over time.

[TF16B]
Members
8,065 posts
17,029 battles
3 minutes ago, sbcptnitro said:

I think your sample size is a bit too small to make that judgement. There's no reason to believe you won't have a 55% WR in it over time.

Au Contraire!

105 games; 40% win rate... Large enough sample size? I hate the thing. The ship I drive when I want to see my priority target indicator go to 12, as soon as so much as my forward flagjack crosses the sighting line...

[NOOOB]
Members
1,439 posts
12,092 battles

While a small sample size, sometimes you get ships that feels like hard-luck kids.  For awhile my GK, even with great games, could not buy a win.  Happens

[SF-3]
Members
1,442 posts
7,925 battles

Its a well known, and hated ship, prepare to be priority target a lot. Im on at Cleveland, dont much care for the island hugging meta, but it kites really well.

Members
631 posts
4,143 battles

Ugh, I'm hating the New Orleans so far. I even liked the Pensacola, but radar equipped ships attract a lot of attention and I need to get close to make use of said radar. Too close, especially at tier X games that I'm routinely getting. My average damage in the thing is probably about 20k before I'm blown out of the water. 

Time to stop playing this as a front line cruiser and time to start being much more frugal with the use of my radar.

Members
280 posts
9,305 battles

Tirpiz has been my most frustrating experience. Do fine in it stat wise, but cant win with it. Sold it after a nasty loss streak in a rage, but got it back a couple of months ago, just cant bring myself to take it out anymore...

[SWOB]
Members
2,705 posts
15,550 battles
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Au Contraire!

105 games; 40% win rate... Large enough sample size? I hate the thing. The ship I drive when I want to see my priority target indicator go to 12, as soon as so much as my forward flagjack crosses the sighting line...

I was referring specifically to the OP. His stats suggest he can play the ship better than most, so there's no reason to think his WR won't reflect that over time.

[KRAB]
Members
615 posts
5,816 battles

It seems like you are quite unlucky - assuming you would win 55% over the long run, you have about a 0.14% chance of doing as bad as or worse than you are now. However, since there are hundreds (at minimum) of Des Moines players on the NA Server, you will see people with numbers like this. 

However, if the Des Moines just does not fit your play style, or your lack of experience in the ship lowers your long-term win probability to 50% over this early sample (rising to 55% after say 500 games), you had 1 in 40 odds of doing as bad or worse. You play more than 40 ships in an older account, so you should see this at least once. 

Basically, statistics can suck sometimes, and it takes surprisingly long to zero in on your true win rate in a ship, especially when you often have significant intra-account variability based on the interaction between your skill set and the ship's strengths and weaknesses. 

Edited by MaxL_1023

[R-F]
Members
675 posts
6,188 battles

Des Moines has a sort of steep learning curve.  You can and will be dropped from 100% to 0% health from a single battleship salvo if you position yourself wrong.  You have no smoke or heavy armor or large HP pool to allow you to make a mistake and keep fighting.  My first several battles in it were abysmal but I'm gradually getting better.

[DRACS]
Members
3,351 posts

I've had a few cursed boats, including the Warspite (although less so now), but recently, my REALLY cursed boat was the Fletcher. She's a good boat and I could play her well, but for some reason I always attracted the most deep fried of potato teams ... the kind that would never support the cap, but instead would clump together behind an island near the border and wait there till we lost. Massive steamroll defeats. After 30 (fully upgraded) games in her and a 38% win rate, I did what I thought I would never do on her ... I free XPed the rest of the way to the Gearing.

Also, DM is a really tough boat to play. She has amazing utility and amazing DPM ... but she's ultra fragile from all angles and gets deleted if you look at her funny. She needs an armor buff, at least to the upper belt so she can bounce some shells.

Edited by KaptainKaybe

[WAIFU]
Beta Testers
1,922 posts
3,548 battles
9 hours ago, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

Does anyone else have those ships you just can't win in?  I just recently got my DM, played about 10-12 games in it, and I think I've won a single game.  I'm averaging over 75k damage and a kill a game, had a game with a Kraken and 170k damage, yet still can't buy a win in the damn thing.  What ships do you guys feel like you do well in, but just can't seem to win a game with?

I've got 2 t9s right now where it seems no matter how well I do everything g collapses. Small sample size though..

[TNG]
[TNG]
Members
250 posts
14,834 battles

Do yourself a favor and FXP past the NO...its horrible

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

I have 0% WR in my DM   :cap_cool:   oh well,  one of these days, I can get better at it    only 20% with Moskva  .  

[R-R-R]
Members
970 posts
6,427 battles
29 minutes ago, centarina said:

I have 0% WR in my DM   :cap_cool:   oh well,  one of these days, I can get better at it    only 20% with Moskva  .  

I blame cruiser as a class to be less influential overall compared to DDs and BBs.

My [edited] loss streaks always happens with cruisers. Never with DDs or BBs. With BBs and DDs, you simply have more capability to carry the early and mid game. 

Edited by Exciton8964

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
14 hours ago, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

The reason why most bad DM players get their a.s.s.es kicked all the time is because they are constantly (and brainlessly) shooting at everything they see (no matter the distance or who's nearby). Dont shoot an enemy when there are 5 enemy ships near him. Use your concealment to isolate and kill each ship, preferably one at a time. Otherwise, if your start shooting brainlessly at everything the whole enemy fleet will murder you in under 60 seconds.

This ship is effective <13km, anything further is usually not worth shooting at (unless its a BB). 

You need to pick every engagement, you can outgun any tier X cruiser easily in a one on one fight, but its the 16" shells from enemy BBs that end up killing you most if the time. 16" guns will overmatch you, so you always need to angle well against any BB thats shooting you or better yet, try to pick on BBs whose guns are pointed at someone else.

Also dont go bow on all the time like most noobs do, only do so if you absolutely know that you cant make a U turn without being citadeled. If you are fighting a BB its always best to be kitting away like you would do in a Henry.

Edited by Ulthwey

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
16,114 battles
6 hours ago, shoy07 said:

wrong.jpg

14tvazp.jpg

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
420 posts
5,617 battles
16 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Au Contraire!

Yeah, that's the downside of being a radar ship. DDouches and RN CL drivers are going to want you dead so you can't ruin their smoke camping.

Members
179 posts
40 battles

Could be just bad luck. Sample size is too small. I had like 35% winrate on Moskva in my first ten games, while i did 90% in my Baltimore. Just keep playing it, and try to deny caps with your radar. You don’t need to have a shot yourself, being radared alone is enough for a DD to abandon the cap, hence the denial.

[WAIFU]
Beta Testers
1,922 posts
3,548 battles
15 hours ago, shoy07 said:

Or wait a lil while, for when it gets pushed down to t7

[WAIFU]
Beta Testers
1,922 posts
3,548 battles
8 hours ago, Zaydin said:

Yeah, that's the downside of being a radar ship. DDouches and RN CL drivers are going to want you dead so you can't ruin their smoke camping.

This isn't even a valid complaint. You can't camp in smoke and fire nearly as effective as you could previously. Meanwhile, radar is a fairly OP mechanic because it works through islands.