Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Soshi_Sone

I'm in the AP crowd on RN BBs

23 comments in this topic

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,781 posts
12,906 battles

I haven't made it to Lion or the Conq, but despite the relatively low caliber WG gave the Monarch, I'm still all in with AP.  Didn't start a single fire.  Didn't destroy a single ship.  Only one Cit.  All other damage were pens and over pens....wearing the reds down....one AP salvo at a time.

mono.thumb.jpg.bbf6367be3aef262d678703ead57e554.jpg

• Cool 2

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

for me  QE was all AP.  monarch was 50% ap/he      depending on target and facing.   kgv  was bit more HE heavy.

[1IF]
Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
8,238 battles

I generally load HE for the first few rounds of combat then switch to AP with my RN BBs (tho it does depend on the situation & the target).

• Cool 1

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,734 posts
4,533 battles

You are one of the few decent human beings in the world. +1

• Cool 2

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
402 posts
4,260 battles
1 hour ago, Soshi_Sone said:

I haven't made it to Lion or the Conq, but despite the relatively low caliber WG gave the Monarch, I'm still all in with AP.  Didn't start a single fire.  Didn't destroy a single ship.  Only one Cit.  All other damage were pens and over pens....wearing the reds down....one AP salvo at a time.

What are you're plans when you get the Lion?...fire chance goes way up.

I pretty much burned a Montana to the waterline for 53k, and put about another ~20k fire damage on a Lion in my beloved Monarch in one match(pun intended)tonight.

I guess it's all situational.

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,436 posts
3,413 battles

The AP is great vs cruisers, DDs, and BB superstructures, but HE simply makes it easier to farm damage and damage/destroy modules/emplacements. Granted, I find it to be useful shifting between AP and HE every other volley or two just to keep the fires going and doing some non-recoverable damage in between.

Members
2,894 posts
1,365 battles

KGV's AP: makes me want to punch a puppy......

Things AP is a fking joke lol.  Nothin' like hammering a Fiji for 0 dmg 2-3 salvos in a row.  Then stuffing some AP up the side of a Broadside KGV for like 1030.......

Then in an earlier game, I bounced like 2-3-4 salvos off a Cleveland's side, incapacitating turrets, but no damage.  Shot the hell out of another KGV for a solid 0 over the course of a 5-6 minute brawl...

crapis god awful...

[WOLFB]
Members
1,668 posts
8,052 battles

RN BB with AP ? Heresy, go burn with the other.

The fire chance on both QE and Monarch isn't really high and the HE damage is meh so sticking to AP might be the best option. Even if RN AP on BB isn't that great, you still have 381mm guns, basically the same gun as Bismarck, Tirpitz Gnesenau and Bayern. If you face T10 maybe you can spam HE at angled BB .

When I played the QE I used AP only and honestly even if i don't land those massive citadel hit, I was able to constantly land 5-10k per volley. Not the best but i'll take it .

[O7]
Members
520 posts
12,625 battles
4 hours ago, Soshi_Sone said:

Good for you!  Don't succumb to the scummy ways of most RN BB players.

[4HIM]
Members
1,716 posts
3,905 battles
49 minutes ago, Psycodiver said:

Just remember kids, AP wins matches, HE farms damage and personally I prefer winning

+1. I'm not that good. But I farm a lot more damage when spamming HE in RN BB's.  But I do contribute to a team win more often when I just load AP. 

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles
3 hours ago, bfk_ferlyfe said:

Good for you!  Don't succumb to the scummy ways of most RN BB players.

we don't listen to loser bfk ,  now if it was pulicat saying this  we would listen.  :cap_rambo:

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,781 posts
12,906 battles

As an aside, that effort was significantly aided by a friendly DD who won a one-vs-one DD fight on my right flank and then turned away a flanking BB.  Nothing like being able to sit in a "tanking" position and be able to leisurely pick my targets with my open flank securely in the hands of a friendly DD.  And when it was time to push....he was still there covering my push.  I would never have been able to achieve that level of damage without his efforts.  I gave him good Karma at game end. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,692 posts
10,025 battles

Definitely the way to go on Monarch. Stealth, position, decloak and pray to RNG (1.8 sigma and US dispersion isn't that good).

35% fire chance is practically the same as Bismarck/North Carolina and the slightly better HE damage isn't much to get excited about.

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,734 posts
4,533 battles

Honestly I recall when people said Hood had shite AP....I aimed above the belt on ships and whacked them for like 10K damage easily.

The reason I call HE spammers lazy, is because they don't know where to aim their AP...don't shoot the belt like a moron. 

[SIDE]
Members
716 posts
3,151 battles
15 hours ago, Soshi_Sone said:

This is flat up cheating. The Monarch follows the Warspite / Hood rules of Normalized HE. I thought you were gonna show us a Picture of the Conq using 457mm AP guns =(

Members
343 posts
6,782 battles
16 hours ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

+1. I'm not that good. But I farm a lot more damage when spamming HE in RN BB's.  But I do contribute to a team win more often when I just load AP. 

At lower tier at least, HE is actually pretty good all-around choice for RN BBs. Most BBs don't have that great of a heal (and tend to have lower-point captains), so fire damage tends to be more effective. An HE volley against most <VI cruisers will do massive damage and even absent an outright kill, can set fires that will sink them in a short time. It's also not that unusual to get HE citadels on Tier III and IV cruisers, which is always good for a laugh.

Sign in to follow this