Sign in to follow this  
Battlecruiser_Yavuz

Please identify this Kriegsmarine crest!

28 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
5,305 posts
3,883 battles

Hey guys!  I need some help from the community. 

There is this ship crest for sale, but the seller doesn't know which ship its from.  Can anybody identify it by the image?

Thanks!

P2760288.JPG?SESS=jro21hb8cm0ovfsgu86fvm

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

Is it for-sure Kriegsmarine? Not Kaiserlichemarine or Bundesmarine?

• Cool 1

5,305 posts
3,883 battles
1 minute ago, Battleship_MaineMk1 said:

I posted the link to this in the NA community Discord. If someone knows, they will get to you.

Thank you very much!

1 minute ago, dseehafer said:

Is it for-sure Kriegsmarine? Not Kaiserlichemarine or Bundesmarine?

The seller thinks it is Kreigsmarine or Reichsmarine.  I think it looks too old to be Bundesmarine, but it could be Kaiserlichemarine.  I did some quick Internet searching and I got nothing.

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

Well, its none of the capital, ships and its none of the 74 U-boats that had their own coat of arms....

probably some dinky torpedo-boat or destroyer.... ill keep looking

• Cool 1

5,305 posts
3,883 battles
2 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Looks like something you'd find on a merchantman, but what do I know?

Could be simple enough to be one.  I would think it's a minesweeper or one of the auxiliary raiders.  I don't think that's one of the capital ships.

Could it be one of the destroyers?

5,305 posts
3,883 battles
Just now, dseehafer said:

Well, its none of the capital, ships and its none of the 74 U-boats that had their own coat of arms....

probably some dinky torpedo-boat or destroyer.... ill keep looking

Thank you for sifting through all of the U-boats :cap_wander_2:

[LRM]
Members
2,522 posts
4,915 battles
Just now, Battlecruiser_Yavuz said:

Thank you for sifting through all of the U-boats :cap_wander_2:

Was it one of crests of the ships during the scuttling of the German fleet after WW1? I mean, I would see a reason to take that off.

5,305 posts
3,883 battles
Just now, Battleship_MaineMk1 said:

Was it one of crests of the ships during the scuttling of the German fleet after WW1? I mean, I would see a reason to take that off.

The seller doesn't have a lot of information about the crest in general.  It just looks old - that's it.  It could be WW1...maybe.

Here's the back.

P2760290.JPG?SESS=jro21hb8cm0ovfsgu86fvm

[LRM]
Members
2,522 posts
4,915 battles

The seller doesn't have a lot of information about the crest in general.  It just looks old - that's it.  It could be WW1...maybe.

Here's the back.

P2760290.JPG?SESS=jro21hb8cm0ovfsgu86fvm

I would say WW1 by age, but I am no expert. I would know, my grandma had some wooden object from 1910 that look like that in terms of how weathered they are.

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

It's probably WWI if it was actually mounted on a ship. German ships in WWII did not wear their coat of arms (only pre-war)

[LRM]
Members
2,522 posts
4,915 battles
Just now, dseehafer said:

It's probably WWI if it was actually mounted on a ship. German ships in WWII did not wear their coat of arms (only pre-war)

That helmet looks Teutonic on there and has a crusader-affect to it. Would be WW1 since they didn't have many past "german icons" to pull from to inspire the building of an imperial navy.

5,305 posts
3,883 battles
5 minutes ago, Battleship_MaineMk1 said:

That helmet looks Teutonic on there and has a crusader-affect to it. Would be WW1 since they didn't have many past "german icons" to pull from to inspire the building of an imperial navy.

I thought it looked like a Valkyrie, so I thought that could tie into the Nazi veneration of Norse mythology.

5,305 posts
3,883 battles
7 minutes ago, Blagoveshchensk said:

the knight's coat of arms violates rules of drawing up .

Oh!  What does that mean?

8 minutes ago, dseehafer said:

Were the coat of arms given out at ship-launching ceremonies?  I mean...we do have a few interesting Kriegsmarine ship crests...like this one for the prototype destroyer Z51.

272893.jpg

272893_1.jpg

[LRM]
Members
2,522 posts
4,915 battles
1 minute ago, Battlecruiser_Yavuz said:

I thought it looked like a Valkyrie, so I thought that could tie into the Nazi veneration of Norse mythology.

No, it is the Teutonic. The wings represent the winged hussars, which did fight alongside the Teutonic knights during the crusades.

How about you start here? I started looking, some of the ships do have a crest listed:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ships_of_the_Imperial_German_Navy

• Cool 1

5,305 posts
3,883 battles
12 minutes ago, Battleship_MaineMk1 said:

I would say WW1 by age, but I am no expert. I would know, my grandma had some wooden object from 1910 that look like that in terms of how weathered they are.

Interesting.  Could WW2 crests get that tattered?  I do have to admit that the wood looks quite aged.

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

Well, I've come up empty-handed. I'm almost certain that its a WWI German cruiser since it doesn't belong to any of the battleships or battlecrusiers and destroyers and torpedo-boats did not get their own coat of arms. Unfortunately, many of the WWI German cruiser coat of arms are unknown, and it doesn't match any of the known ones. If it's not a WWI cruiser then it's a WWII support vessel and it matches none of the ones I've found for them either.

[LRM]
Members
2,522 posts
4,915 battles

Interesting.  Could WW2 crests get that tattered?  I do have to admit that the wood looks quite aged.

No, but I have seen that bracket before. my grandma had her grandpa's ladder he built in 1910. It looks really close to that with the sink-iron in the back of it being the same as the pin that holds the rungs of the ladder in. Also, the open grain and all look similar.

Well, I've come up empty-handed. I'm almost certain that its a WWI German cruiser since it doesn't belong to any of the battleships or battlecrusiers and destroyers and torpedo-boats did not get their own coat of arms. Unfortunately, many of the WWI German cruiser coat of arms are unknown, and it doesn't match any of the known ones. If it's not a WWI cruiser then it's a WWII support vessel and it matches none of the ones I've found for them either.

I was thinking it was a cruiser too. I personally would start with the ships sunk in the armistice.

5,305 posts
3,883 battles
2 minutes ago, dseehafer said:

Dang.  I'm coming up empty-handed too.  I used this source - http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3084

I wonder...could it be a destroyer?  I mean...do all destroyer crests have the Z in them?

Also, could it be a unit crest?  I read that the Germans did have those during the war.

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

Dang.  I'm coming up empty-handed too.  I used this source - http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3084

I wonder...could it be a destroyer?  I mean...do all destroyer crests have the Z in them?

Also, could it be a unit crest?  I read that the Germans did have those during the war.

It's not a destroyer or a Torpedo-boat. They did not get their own crests. (Z-51 must be an outlier or its fake)

5,305 posts
3,883 battles

It's not a destroyer or a Torpedo-boat. They did not get their own crests. (Z-51 must be an outlier or its fake)

It's from here...if you're wondering - https://www.weitze.com/militaria/93/Kriegsmarine_Schiffswappen_des_Zerstoerer_Z51__272893.html

It looks reputable since they supposedly have a store and they attend military fairs, but I can't speak / understand German :cap_book:

[HCH]
Members
82 posts
7,424 battles

@Battlecruiser_Yavuz

why do you need this awkward fake? now on the Internet sell any junk that has nothing to do with real things.

P.S.  in the heraldry very strict rules on which you can immediately determine - a real coat of arms or crap.

P2760288.jpg

Edited by Blagoveshchensk

[LRM]
Members
2,522 posts
4,915 battles
33 minutes ago, Blagoveshchensk said:

Battlecruiser_Yavuz

why do you need this awkward fake? now on the Internet sell any junk that has nothing to do with real things.

P.S.  in the heraldry very strict rules on which you can immediately determine - a real coat of arms or crap.

P2760288.jpg

Dude, he is asking for help. You are acting all offended that he comes here asking for an answer to his ignorance on the subject.

If it is a fake, can you explain why so we all know? I mean, you make a pretty strong claim and then in the most anti-climatic way, just drop the conversation.

Sign in to follow this