You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AllysaRockz

The Bayern - Totally NOT OP

16 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
251 posts
1,395 battles

While collecting clips to make a Bayern compilation (I love that ship, may as well try out the idea with it first!) I had a couple of pretty funny and interesting games. Now before you say anything, no! The Bayern is not OP. It's not OP, at all. Not even a little bit. I swear. :Smile_honoring:

No, this thing is OP. I don't care what anybody else says, this BB is just ludicrous. Maybe I'm just really good with it, idk. It FEELS OP, m'kay?

Ee1jyFq.jpg

lYGaGOh.jpg

UYelC7h.jpg

gCmQL1m.jpg

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
251 posts
1,395 battles
8 minutes ago, nguyen009 said:

Gneisenau is even better.

I can't wait to get the Gneisenau. The armor scheme on that thing looks great, and the torpedoes... I could have used those in the second battle! Would have helped me nuke another Bayern. :Smile_teethhappy: Losing two guns isn't actually that bad since you gain not only torpedoes, but tons of HE secondaries, along with a much faster top speed. It just makes you wanna rush, rush, rush!

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,268 battles
20 minutes ago, AllysaRockz said:

While collecting clips to make a Bayern compilation (I love that ship, may as well try out the idea with it first!) I had a couple of pretty funny and interesting games. Now before you say anything, no! The Bayern is not OP. It's not OP, at all. Not even a little bit. I swear. :Smile_honoring:

No, this thing is OP. I don't care what anybody else says, this BB is just ludicrous. Maybe I'm just really good with it, idk. It FEELS OP, m'kay?

Ee1jyFq.jpg

lYGaGOh.jpg

UYelC7h.jpg

gCmQL1m.jpg

OMG, OMG!  You were tier 6 in a tier 8 battle!  And you finished top of your team!  It must be a mirage.  After all, all these +/-1 tier MM whiners claim that their ships stink when bottom tier in a +/-2 tier MM battle!  It must be a lie!  These images must be photoshopped!!!  It's impossible!  It just can't have happened!  :Smile_teethhappy:

Seriously though.  Good games.  I don't think that it's OP though.  From when I played it, its main guns were justd too damned inaccurate unless you got in really close, which, yes, I know as a German brawling BB is the best thing to do.  But in a way, it felt like a step down from the Konig whose main guns felt moderately accurate at moderate ranges, even if they were only 12" guns and didn't hit all that hard.  German BB main guns didn't seem to regain a reasonable degree of mid-range accuracy until tier 8 with the Bismarck (and Tirpitz).

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,268 battles
2 minutes ago, AllysaRockz said:

I can't wait to get the Gneisenau. The armor scheme on that thing looks great, and the torpedoes... I could have used those in the second battle! Would have helped me nuke another Bayern. :Smile_teethhappy: Losing two guns isn't actually that bad since you gain not only torpedoes, but tons of HE secondaries, along with a much faster top speed. It just makes you wanna rush, rush, rush!

Just don't use that speed to overextend.  Good speed on a BB can sometimes just get you into trouble faster.  Still, you're a good enough player that I think that you know better.  

Beta Testers
251 posts
1,395 battles
5 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Seriously though.  Good games.  I don't think that it's OP though.  From when I played it, its main guns were justd too damned inaccurate unless you got in really close, which, yes, I know as a German brawling BB is the best thing to do.  But in a way, it felt like a step down from the Konig whose main guns felt moderately accurate at moderate ranges, even if they were only 12" guns and didn't hit all that hard.  German BB main guns didn't seem to regain a reasonable degree of mid-range accuracy until tier 8 with the Bismarck (and Tirpitz).

4 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Just don't use that speed to overextend.  Good speed on a BB can sometimes just get you into trouble faster.  Still, you're a good enough player that I think that you know better.  

Well thank you... I honestly don't get you, so I'm not going to try to. :Smile_teethhappy:

The Konig was a very good ship to, and in my opinion the best non-premium T5 boat you can sail. Though it pales in comparison to this monster. Higher tier battleships need to respect it's presence, because albeit those guns are a little inaccurate, I'll have you know that I do not run the Aiming Systems Mod 1. And yet, they are still a terror. Could I have won that second game if my guns were more accurate? God, no. The ranges I fought at made accuracy for the most part pointless; that damage was accumulated because I know how to aim, and where to aim on individual targets. There isn't a purchasable mod in the game that will make me or anyone else any better at that. :Smile_honoring:

[RKLES]
Members
7,097 posts
8,745 battles
53 minutes ago, AllysaRockz said:

And Gneisenau gets good AA guns as well, lol you either shoot down a ton of planes or the Carriers learn quickly to keep their planes away from you. 

:Smile_Default:

[SOA]
Alpha Tester
553 posts
2,474 battles

Yeah, definitely not OP. But it is a very good ship. It's my favorite tier 6 BB to drive, though it took some time to grow on me because of the wonky dispersion of the main battery and unreliable nature of the 150mm secondaries, which fire AP and consequently aren't particularly useful. Instead, I took concealment and Manual AA. 11.6km detection on a battleship is hilarious (best in tier, though Warspite, Arizona, and NewMex come pretty close), and your AA gets truly scary to most carriers you face. It's fast enough to get around, tough enough to take a beating, and punchy enough to deal one out in return.

--Helms

[WOLF5]
Members
272 posts
5,094 battles

I'm grinding my way through it as well, I usually play Co-op or the Operations of the Week (currently it is the Naval base defense scenario) and this ship isn't bad at all.  There are lots of bot planes and its plenty AA guns are pretty useful.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,344 posts
10,134 battles

Bayern is my favorite of the tech tree T6 BB's. Love it. 

OP - Gneisenau may disappoint you. It did me. While I do okay stat wise in it I do not enjoy playing it. The main guns are horrendous. Accuracy is bad and with just 6 guns in total you miss a LOT.  You have to get super close to have any accuracy with the guns. At least close you can use secondary guns and torps to do damage. However, get close and you have to be constantly on edge looking for torps because Gneisenau turns like a drunk whale. You are easier to hit when close as well and Gneisenau takes massive regular pen damage so you melt quick.

The secondary guns are good, the AA is good, the torps are great IF you can use them, and the armor is decent. But you can't depend on the main guns and you aren't really maneuverable at all. IMO Gneisenau is a meh ship. I greatly prefer Bayern to Gneisenau.

Beta Testers
251 posts
1,395 battles
10 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Bayern is my favorite of the tech tree T6 BB's. Love it. 

OP - Gneisenau may disappoint you. It did me

Considering I love my Bayern and am currently in the final stages of editing a YouTube compilation showing it off, yeah, I probably will be disappointed by the Gneisenau. That isn't going to get me down! 18k XP left to go!

14 hours ago, bigbearbeear said:

I'm grinding my way through it as well, I usually play Co-op or the Operations of the Week (currently it is the Naval base defense scenario) and this ship isn't bad at all.  There are lots of bot planes and its plenty AA guns are pretty useful.

Most of the AA on the Bayern is quite weak; however, it makes up for its weak close range AA with superior long ranged AA guns. The first AA guns to open fire are the most effective, with over 100dps with how I've speced my Bayern, making them quite a threat to carriers if they doddle in your AA for too long!

[SPTR]
Members
210 posts
3,537 battles

Bayern is good, but it is not as good for its tier as the Konig.  My highest damage game is still in a Konig (174k) which is unusual to say the least for such a low tier.  The Bayern just isn't as good for its tier because it starts to compete with much better torpedoes and HE spam.  Honestly I think all the German BB's from Konig to Bismarck are a slow decline because the ships they compete with get much better.  The Gneis actually loses guns and the Torpedoes don't make up for it, you will spend most of your time bow tanking because the while turtleback armor does usually prevent citadels it also eats shells that would be overpens on other ships, the poor deck armor makes this worse.  The Bismarck is just under-gunned, the 380's were great at VI, okay at VII, and are weak at VIII.  The secondaries are great but only if people are dumb enough to close, battles at higher tiers rarely get that close.

Members
139 posts
2,312 battles

I'm not sure I understand the point of the average stats in the original post.  Bayern is far from OP.  It's a fairly average ship.  You can't hit anything outside of 8km and it eats damage like crazy unless the other team is totally clueless about how to shoot one.  They burn like they're made of flash paper and the AA isn't anything to write home about either.   I've never worried about facing a Bayern in any other ships and I've never felt like my Bayern was anything special when I was sailing it.  It's kind of a one trick pony with close quarters brawling and that requires the other team to play along for you to really make use of it.  It's probably one of my least favorite ships in my collection and very frustrating to play.

[USFTW]
Members
94 posts
1,884 battles

I loved the Bayern. When you fire at a cruiser at almost any range you get misses a over pen and one citidell. It doesn't matter the range or angle it's like clockwork. If it's a RN CA you just delete it. The armour is troll and you can survive almost anything. The only hard part is the speed.