You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Otto_Von_Bismarck_II

Why don't the British have Destroyers/Aircraft Carriers?

36 comments in this topic

Members
2 posts
187 battles

Why do only four nations have destroyers, and two nations have aircraft carriers? This isn't a very important question, but it just rubs me the wrong way that none of the British destroyers or aircraft carriers made it into the game. The same goes for the french! They had over 100 destroyers and I believe several battleships, but they're only given cruisers in the game, save for the Dunkerque. What is with the historical discrepancies? Is it because it would be too costly to include all the cool ships the nations have? I'm simply baffled. It's especially odd when you consider the British designed the first purpose built aircraft carrier, as well as the famed 'invincibility' of the British Navy during the wars. 

Links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_World_War_II_destroyers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_World_War_II_destroyers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Hermes_(95)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_battleships_of_France

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
18,993 posts
12,488 battles

Research, 3D modeling, texturing, rigging, animating, playtesting and balancing takes approximately 6 months worth of man-hours per ship. Be patient.

• Cool 2

Members
1,145 posts
4,218 battles
7 minutes ago, Otto_Von_Bismarck_II said:

Why do only four nations have destroyers, and two nations have aircraft carriers? This isn't a very important question, but it just rubs me the wrong way that none of the British destroyers or aircraft carriers made it into the game. The same goes for the french! They had over 100 destroyers and I believe several battleships, but they're only given cruisers in the game, save for the Dunkerque. What is with the historical discrepancies? Is it because it would be too costly to include all the cool ships the nations have? I'm simply baffled. It's especially odd when you consider the British designed the first purpose built aircraft carrier, as well as the famed 'invincibility' of the British Navy during the wars. 

Links:

1. because CVs are just an enigma to this game's balance

2. because we absolutely needed a Pan-Asiatic line

Edited by Combined_Fleet_HQ
  • Cool 1

[NDA]
Supertester
3,896 posts
1,479 battles

I just have to keep telling myself, "Be *nice* to the noob.  Be *nice* to the noob ... "

• Cool 2

[NDA]
Supertester
3,896 posts
1,479 battles
Just now, Combined_Fleet_HQ said:

... because we absolutely needed a Pan-Asiatic line

Unless you think a company can walk away from a potential market that large, yes, they did absolutely need it.  And hey, some of those assets will get folded, spindled, and mutilated into the UKDD line, so there's that.

• Cool 2

[HINON]
Supertester
18,993 posts
12,488 battles
Just now, kerensky914 said:

Unless you think a company can walk away from a potential market that large, yes, they did absolutely need it.  And hey, some of those assets will get folded, spindled, and mutilated into the UKDD line, so there's that.

^

[-BRS-]
Members
1,613 posts
13,255 battles
5 minutes ago, Combined_Fleet_HQ said:

1. because CVs are just an enigma to this game's balance

2. because we absolutely needed a Pan-Asiatic line

Lol

[NDA]
Supertester
3,896 posts
1,479 battles
Just now, Otto_Von_Bismarck_II said:

Good lord this has been fast.

Also for some reason I thought this game came out in 2012

I'm sorry  for my ignorance

Most internet games have a cadre of forumites that wait to pounce on the posts of the unwary. ;)  No worries. :)

Members
1,145 posts
4,218 battles
Just now, kerensky914 said:

oh I'm well aware the Pan Asian line is geared towards a demographic of WG's player market. The Pan Asian line is also an address to BBs but that's another conversation

but it's just a line I'll skip

[LHG]
Members
1,620 posts
4,887 battles
11 minutes ago, Otto_Von_Bismarck_II said:

Good lord this has been fast.

Also for some reason I thought this game came out in 2012

I'm sorry  for my ignorance

Not a problem, it was a legitimate question from someone unfamiliar with the game.

Something else you should consider as well.  New ships are one of the spark plugs which propels interest in the game.  In a lot of ways, when WG's runs our of new content to provide, that's when the game will likely wither and begin the long slide down into oblivion.  If WG can string out the release of ships long enough, they can keep the players coming back for more for a longer period of time, so even if they could, releasing all of the ships of all the lines all at once would create a huge surge of interest for a short time and then you'd enter the "well, when are we going to get something new" stage of things. 

Essentially, it's in WG's best interests, and actually in the interests of the players who want to see the game continue, that WG gives us the content one bite at a time.  

Hope that's helpful. 

• Cool 1

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,545 posts
6,689 battles
27 minutes ago, TabbyHopkins said:

You do know it takes time to develop stuff for games, right?

not that much time. It takes time to model ships, fair enough, WG gas had 5 years to do that. The RN invented much of what we recognize as Aircraft Carriers, inc flatops, islands, catapult arrested landing, deck design, and a whole lot more besides. That they are not already in the gale is scandalous, and WG knows it (but will never admit it)/ If we take a broader more flexible view of where aircraft carriers come from, then of course, it would be another European nation, the French, with the earliest purpose built, seaplane carriers.

And where, when and by who was the first ship to be sunk by aircraft dropped torpedo during wartime?

Answer this question correctly and I'll reward you with a cookie.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,704 posts
10,055 battles
9 minutes ago, kerensky914 said:

Well, apparently the China/Taiwan issue has gone over so badly that market may be a poisoned well from the get-go, so... great?

15 minutes ago, TabbyHopkins said:

You do know it takes time to develop stuff for games, right?

It's a question of priorities rather than resources though.

WG could readily have used the same resources used to produce French cruisers, or PA-DD to put out RN Destroyers but have chosen not to. The reasons for those priorities we can only speculate on - too many destroyers, having a different plan, wanting France in sooner, wanting Pan-Asia sooner rather than later. Who knows.

29 minutes ago, Otto_Von_Bismarck_II said:

Destroyers are a question of higher priorities.

Aircraft carriers I suspect they were waiting for the carrier rework which seems to have run into trouble rather than releasing a line then re-balancing 3 carrier lines. I also suspect that the desire to roll out a carrier line is low as it's likely few players will take them up - carriers are the least played individual ships from T8 up, how many carrier mains are there compared to battleship mains?

Finally even if they did try and release them they might lack the development or test resources to do it correctly. Graf Zeppelin has become an utter fiasco, and that's a single carrier. Imagine having seven Graf Zeppelins running through test iterations ad infinitum...

1 minute ago, nuttybiscuit said:

And where, when and by who was the first ship to be sunk by aircraft dropped torpedo during wartime?

I think something went down around Gallipoli, with a RNAS torpedo hit on something flying from the Ben-My-Chree. If I had to guess for WWII it would be HMS Eagle's aircraft sinking Zeffiro in Tobruk, July 1940.

• Cool 1

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,545 posts
6,689 battles
29 minutes ago, Lert said:

Research, 3D modeling, texturing, rigging, animating, playtesting and balancing takes approximately 6 months worth of man-hours per ship. Be patient.

I am patient, I have not demanded they be introduced 3 years ago, 2 years ago would have been sufficient.

All very well a pile of posters saying be patient, but from those who are under NDA, that means little, and is possibly more frustrating than helpful.

On the other hand, the recent WG videos on the history of naval aviation are helpful, as they respond to widespread ignorance about this aspect of history, among many players.

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/see-planes/

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/flying-fury/

These are helpful; both to the OP and others, containing a treasure trove of hints and ideas for the future (the future we needed a couple of years ago, *grumble, moan, [edited], whine*)

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,545 posts
6,689 battles
2 minutes ago, mofton said:

I think something went down around Gallipoli, with a RNAS torpedo hit on something flying from the Ben-My-Chree. If I had to guess for WWII it would be HMS Eagle's aircraft sinking Zeffiro in Tobruk, July 1940.

not bad! 1915 Eastern Med, off Gallipoli.

which is an (very crazy but typical of myself) argument of course, for starting aircraft carriers in game at tier2, using seaplane tenders.

[GWG]
Members
163 posts
3,483 battles

Don't forget we're had the Campbeltown (Tier III), a modified Wickes and the Gallant (Tier VI)... but both are out of the premium shop right now.

The Vampire is also coming soon, but while it started as a British DD, it's going to be under the Commonwealth flag once it drops.

Edited by Darksaint1071
formatting

Members
0 posts
2 hours ago, mofton said:

Well, apparently the China/Taiwan issue has gone over so badly that market may be a poisoned well from the get-go, so... great?

Is that all it takes to get WG attention!?!  I am booking a flight to England to start the "I am so mad that you are using correct british flag on the new ships!!!".  The streets will fill with rage!

Then just maybe, just maybe they will get this one right!?!

x0fgcpN.gif

Japan flies this flag on her ships TODAY! YES in 2017!

Edited by Minah_Bang

[LOD_2]
Members
263 posts
On 21.11.2017 at 10:43 PM, Otto_Von_Bismarck_II said:

Links:

You know, because they havent been made yet. Please dont start a "why isnt RN ship in game, biggest navy in world" thread. Do you have ANY idea how much whine, hate, direct attacks on WG, nationalism, and so on, was in the forum, just because the game didnt start with the RN BBs? The lines you ask for will be added in time.

For the French, give them time, they just released the cruiser line beginning 2017, and French BBs will be released after the pan asian DDs.

For your "historical discrepancies, there are none, history doesnt dictate when a line is released, its a game dude, not a history museum, the sooner you accept it, the easier it will be.

[SALVO]
Members
16,733 posts
17,314 battles
On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 6:11 PM, Minah_Bang said:

Is that all it takes to get WG attention!?!  I am booking a flight to England to start the "I am so mad that you are using correct british flag on the new ships!!!".  The streets will fill with rage!

Then just maybe, just maybe they will get this one right!?!

x0fgcpN.gif

Japan flies this flag on her ships TODAY! YES in 2017!

Don't you understand that this flag is viewed by some nations in the same way that the Nazi flag is in other nations?  IIRC, this flag is banned in some nations in the western Pacific/east Asian region.  And IIRC, it's company policy to not include flags that have been banned by law in certain nations because they don't want the legal hassles.

In short, if you want this flag on your IJN ships, use a mod.  There are mods out there that enable this flag.

Members
0 posts
On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 2:28 PM, Crucis said:

Don't you understand that this flag is viewed by some nations in the same way that the Nazi flag is in other nations?  IIRC, this flag is banned in some nations in the western Pacific/east Asian region.  And IIRC, it's company policy to not include flags that have been banned by law in certain nations because they don't want the legal hassles.

In short, if you want this flag on your IJN ships, use a mod.  There are mods out there that enable this flag.

Japanese ships fly the flag today in 2017 while sailing right next to US and Korean warships.

There are countries in Europe that consider Russia war criminals during and at the end of WW2, so then by your login, the Russian flags should also not be allowed!

[SALVO]
Members
16,733 posts
17,314 battles
6 minutes ago, Minah_Bang said:

Japanese ships fly the flag today in 2017 while sailing right next to US and Korean warships.

There are countries in Europe that consider Russia war criminals during and at the end of WW2, so then by your login, the Russian flags should also not be allowed!

By paragraphs.

1. Irrelevant.  Are there laws in some Asian countries against the Rising Sun flag?  Yes.  Same as for Nazi flags in other countries.  Does WG ignore those laws and include Nazi flags or the Rising Sun flag in the game?  No.  End of story.

2. Yes, that may be true, BUT ...  do those countries ban the Soviet era flags?  I actually don't know, but if the answer is no, then that'd be why those flags are still in the game.  OTOH, if those flags are banned, then you'd have a case of hypocrisy on the part of WG, though not shockingly so, given where the great majority of their customers live.

For crying out loud, just use a flag mod, if you're so hot to have the Rising Sun flag on your ships!!!